Bistrot Bistro Restaurant
1961 West 4th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V6J 1M7Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: CAN$30 and under
Bistrot Bistro Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bistrotbistro.com/
- Phone: 6047320004
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm Friday: 5:00pm - 12:00am Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Curious Epicurian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Buy-out or large party we have the experience to make it fun for the guest and the organizer. Please contact us with your needs and budget we will tailor made the event for you, your guest and budget.
- Private Party Contact: Laurent Devin 6047320004
A word from Bistrot Bistro Restaurant
Bistrot Bistro introduces traditional French country cuisine to contemporary Vancouver design, and marries the intimacy and warmth of relaxing dining with the class of Kitsilano. A French dining experience like it was meant to be: convivial and comfortable with no snootiness allowed. Whether sharing a drink and casual fare after work or settling in for a cozy night of elegant comfort food and conversation, Bistrot Bistro welcomes you to share in a modern interpretation of our fondest childhood memories.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bistrot Bistro Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- Good Food, Noisy PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/13/2012Excellent food but way too loud on a Saturday night (I'm in my early 20s so it wasn't an age thing). No one could hear what anyone else was saying which isn't great when you are spending a little more on a dinner out. Need to pad the walls or close of the kitchen to limit banging of cutlery etc. to reduce noise.
- French simplicityOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/18/2012Wonderful traditionell french country dishes, some served in little red pots with lots of sauce. We loved the beef dish with a thick, dark sauce. Relaxed, modern atmosphere. The place is small and tables are close together - not a restaurant to bring kids. Service is attentive but a bit rushed. Prices are reasonable and they offer a three-course fixed-price dinner. But be prepared to pay extra for bread or any other sides. Good place for a date or dinner with friends.Special Features:
- good but a few problemsExieDined on 9/18/2012Overall, the food was tasty except for the bread, which gave the impression of having been microwaved to freshen it up. The accompanying tapenade was also less than interesting. I think it would be better to simply to provide a good baguette at no charge at this type of restaurant, especially since you pay for all vegetable side dishes. I had the chicken with calvados. The sauce was good but did not seem that strong on the calvados. It was supposed to be chicken breast but was a mix of cuts. With the windows open, there is a trade-off between having a dinner semi-outdoors by the window and the sound of buses and trucks going by. It's a good classic style French restaurant with attentive, friendly and helpful service.
- Good service, food is servedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/4/2012Good service, food is served hot and price is affordable.Special Features:
- see review.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/31/2012I have been to this restaurant before and though crowded was good service. The food I consider excellent. Unfortunately I brought a friend who has never been there before and everything was fine. The restaurant was busy and we were seated along the wall at the opposite side of a wall that had an extremely noisy birthday party going on. Before dessert was served the hostess stated " I am going to need my table back as we are expecting another party so if you could please move in about 15 minutes. Is that okay?" The last sentence was an affirmative rather than a question. We stated it was quite noisy in that area ( which would have been closer to the birthday people) and she said it was noisy everywhere. No offer of tea, coffee at end
- We are regular diners at BistrotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/28/2012We are regular diners at Bistrot Bistro but were a little disappointed at our last dinner. We booked several days in advance on Open Table and requested a table for six at the window. Upon arrival, we were directed toward a window table set for six but then told it was reserved for another group. The hostess explained that the other group had called that day and specifically requested the window. We assured her that we had also - and several days before - but she either ignored this or didn't want to admit her mistake. The exchange was awkward and no attempt was really made to remedy the problem other than repeatedly asking us if it was okay, which was silly as the table was gone.Special Features:
- Wholesome comfort food youOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/25/2012Wholesome comfort food you wouldn't cook at home. Great service despite a full house. Made our reservations through OT 3 hours prior and our table was there when we arrived. Many past good reviews were correct and we were not disappointed. Love to come back to try the rabbit. -FMSpecial Features:
- Poached pear appetizer wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2012Poached pear appetizer was ok if not spectacular. The veal main course was fantastic, perfectly cooked and very well presented. The service perhaps left a little to be desired but they were far from rude. Overall a satisfactory dining experience.
- My first visit after hearingYummyVIPDined on 8/16/2012My first visit after hearing about it for years was not a disappointment. Food and service excellent.Special Features:
- Bon Appetit!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/11/20122 of us came on Saturday evening. Pleasantly surprised. The food was so delicious. I had the prix fixe. Escargot, coq a white wine, chocolate mousse. My friend had mussels, half a baguette, and the rabbit. The food was so good, but you must try the Baguette. Crispy, warm, soft, like true Parisian bread. All of the food was notable, and the service was excellent as well. Mussels were cooked perfect and in a tasty white wine sauce, escargot was buttery and garlicky, delish! Rabbit and coq were amazing as well, so tasty! Then came the Chocolate mousse, in a silver bowl, and then piled on your plate. It was simply devine. I would go back to try more dishes.Special Features:
- We have enjoyed dining atOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2012We have enjoyed dining at Bistrot Bistro many times. The food is excellent, with a french flair, prices affordable and the staff friendly and efficient. It has all the charm of a true French bistro.Special Features:
- The food is good - not incredibleBecksterDined on 8/3/2012The food is good - not incredible - but tasty and portions very satisfying. The service is variable - some servers are very friendly and helpful, but one was stoic and distracted (e.g. topped up my sparkling water with tap water). FIsh was under-cooked when served but re-cooked very nicely. Some restaurants tend to serve over cooked fish when you send it back underdone, but this was returned just right. Tables a little small and cramped. We'd go back for sure.Special Features:
- Not going back any time soonLMASDined on 7/20/2012Have been here several times since they opened and very disappointed with this meal. we were the first there on a Friday night @ 6:00 which seemed odd for Kits. short story - ordered the rabbit with grainy mustard sauce - hard pressed to find the grainy mustard and doubt expressed by the server and the Madame. Her husband tyhe chef was trying to meet the needs of regular customers concerned about salt???? My husband's peppercorn sauce w/the steak was also missing the peppercorns. Same doubt expressed by the Madame and ther server. So, why go back?????
- I have got to Bistrot BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/15/2012I have got to Bistrot Bistro over and over again in the past few years and the food is always fantastic. Great french cuisine and always consistantly great. The onion tart and duck confit are my favorites. The only minor thing is the service which is at times phenominal and at times rather lacking - but to be fair, the times it is lacking the waiter/waitress seems to be newer. Overall, a neighbourhood favorite!Special Features:
- the service, the food andwinewitch59Dined on 7/12/2012the service, the food and the place simply fantastic. We want to go back and try the duck/macaroni dish.Special Features:
- I think this is one of theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/9/2012I think this is one of the better French restaurants in Vancouver: they serve lots of good, rich, heavily sauced dishes. I had the rabbit and it was outstanding.Special Features:
- Food was just okay and theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/5/2012Food was just okay and the waiter was a bit pushy with us ordering. No depth of flavours to our dishes. Service was not bad but not sincere. Overall, I don't think i would come back as there are many great French restaurants around.
- Great little place with veryKenKavanaghDined on 6/21/2012Great little place with very good food which matched the service. The restaurant can be extremely noisy if filled to capacity...so forewarned is forearmed.Special Features:
- like a bistro in FranceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/19/2012We went to Bistrot before a Bard on the Beach performance.. they open at five with plenty of time before the 8:00 curtain.. Greeted by a friendly staff for a leisurely meal. They have a prix fix and ala carte menu so there are lots of choices of authentic French country cooking. The lamb shank was delicious! Other choices include coq au vin, beef bourgeon... escargot too. Prices were fairSpecial Features:
- Good atmosphere, excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/16/2012Good atmosphere, excellent bread, really good warm pear and endive salad, and the sole was delish. I thought the brussels had too much vinegar and an expresso machine would have made it complete....but these are minor complaints. We had a great meal and a great experience and the service could not have been better!
- We always enjoy the boeufOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/16/2012We always enjoy the boeuf bourgignon with potatoes au gratin and carrots, topped off with excellent and attentive service. The atmosphere is that of a crowded, busy cafe where the sound of people's voices rises and falls with each serving. A great place to share wonderful french cooking. I had creme brule for dessert - one of my favorites, however this time around I found it a bit watery. I love the brule to be nice and thick and creamy. Otherwise a most perfect meal! We look forward to sharing the experience with friends next time. Thank youSpecial Features:
- Frenchie!XiaohundanDined on 6/12/2012To be honest, I forgot what we had. I do recal the food was good and frenchie. However we should have ordered theri special. We will have to go back and give it another shot.Special Features:
- Bistro HeavenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/2/2012Bistrot Bistro is a busy, noisy, french, homestyle restaurant which has hit the mark it set. The atmosphere is indeed as one would imagine a french family table would be like. The appetizers looked enticing but I chose to forgo in favour of the lamb shank entree. It literally melted in your mouth and came in its own pan which was tempting to lick clean. The sides are a la carte and the mashed potatoes with cream and butter made it difficult to leave, but, I had heard the chocolate mousse was excellent and again it was just as I had heard. Being gluten intolerant I couldn't try the baguette which came before the meal but it was obviously of excellent quality as well. I'll be going back.Special Features:
- This was my second visit toOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/1/2012This was my second visit to Bistrot Bistro and it was excellent. My friend and I each had the sole - and it was wonderful. We had sides of potatoes and spinach and also really enjoyed both selections.Special Features:
- Great food, superb service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/20/2012Great food, superb service. Signature chocolate mousse is a must trySpecial Features:
- It was a great experience,ALeeDined on 5/13/2012It was a great experience, the entrees were fantastic and it could be easily serve as family style. Fabulous sauces ....my mom had a great time.Special Features:
- It was delicious and suchJeanDined on 5/13/2012It was delicious and such big portions for high end food. Very comfortable atmosphere but still feels like a very special outing.Special Features:
- Consistently Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/12/2012Consistently excellent food and service! The onion tart, boeuf bourguignon, and chocolate mousse are must haves.Special Features:
- Always a complete pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2012As always, the food was excellent & the service friendly & fun. Disappointing that the Lemon tarte was no longer on the menu ...Special Features:
- We had the menu that is offeredOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2012We had the menu that is offered from mon-thur. The pate de campagne wasn t as good as expected, it tasted more like meatloaf. The pate just didn t taste like pate.Also, for someone not used to raisins in pate de campagne, it can be disappointing.I think the raisin-addition should be mentioned on the menu. my partner had escargots, which were a bit boring. As to the main dishes, New York Staek and coq au white wine, were both very good. The fries are exellent. I was a bit disappointed by the creme caramel, sine it lacked the typical egg flavour, but the chocolate mousse was very good.Special Features:
- We absolutely loved this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/3/2012We absolutely loved this restaurant. It's casual but the food is superb. My coq au vin was served in a covered casserole dish with a ladle - very farmhouse feeling. The salad vinaigrette was delicious. My husband is vegetarian and was pleased with the vegetarian choice. Although the Wine list was not extensive, there was a nice selection of both reds and whites for a small restaurant. Service was excellent and everyone was friendly and very accommodating. As two San Diegans eating in Vancouver, we felt well-taken care of. I highly recommend Bistrot Bistro.Special Features:
- The server was friendly andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/25/2012The server was friendly and very approachable and hospitable. Our food was delicious.
- Food was good and plentiful.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/22/2012Food was good and plentiful. Chocolate mousse fabulousSpecial Features:
- Another great meal at BistrotMaryuDined on 4/20/2012Another great meal at Bistrot Bistro. The noise level was quite high but we could still hold a conversation. Might not go back on a Friday night in the future however. It's one of our favourite neighbourhood spots.Special Features:
- Very good service...startedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2012Very good service...started out quite quiet.... ended up being unable to hear my partner...no problem hearing the people next to me however! Not sure what can be done about this in such a small room I enjoyed the food, excellent salad...some of the sauces ie lamb and mussels could use a bit more body.Addictive frites. Portobello very tasty but a bit too reminiscent of shepherd's pie, could use something to take it out of the ordinary. Lovely Creme brulee. Vetry fun touches eg pans and bread 'platter'.Special Features:
- Always love Bistro Bistrot!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/18/2012Always love Bistro Bistrot! I ordered the rabbit this time, and found it to be a bit mild, and underwhelming. I usually am very happy, if not ecstatic about the food, so I am thinking it was just an off night in the kitchen. A real gem!Special Features:
- In my list of Top Five BestOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/16/2012In my list of Top Five Best Meals, without a doubt. I had scoured Vancouver restaurant reviews to find something special for a meal with my sweetie. Bistrot Bistro more than fit the bill. We each ordered the 3-course prix fixe, but were stunned to receive two additional dishes on top of that. All the food was exceptional, but I swooned over the boeuf bourgignon: melt-in-your-mouth beef, rich flavor, charming presentation. The staff was friendly, but not overbearing. I would recommend Bistrot Bistro far and wide.Special Features:
- Awesome Food ... must tryOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/12/2012Awesome Food ... must try the Spicy beef tartar .... melted in your mouth !Special Features:
- Great prix fixe but no restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/12/2012Great prix fixe but no restaurant should ever charge for hot water unless there's some truffles in there.Special Features:
- Food was not to our expectation.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/6/2012Food was not to our expectation. Very disappointing. Duck confit with macaroni cheese is not authentic french dish. Onion Soup is not even close to consider french soup. At any rate, i would not return to this restaurant.