Bistro Vis À Vis
282 Bon Air Center
Greenbrae/Larkspur, CA 94904Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Bistro Vis À Vis
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bistrovisavis.com/
- Phone: 415-272-3135x
- Hours of Operation:
Re-opening at 115 San Anselmo Avenue in late October - so stay tuned or check in with our Facebook page!
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Bistro Vis À Vis
We have moved to 115 San Anselmo Avenue and are re-modeling. Keep up with us on our Kickstarter page!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Bistro Vis À Vis - Best Restaurants in Larkspur ›
Bistro Vis À Vis reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (35)neighborhood gem (32)notable wine list (28)great for lunch (9)special occasion (8)great for outdoor dining (7)great for brunch (5)good for groups (3)romantic (3)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/13/2014This outstanding restaurant is closing to move to a larger location. We will miss it. Even in a region where there are many many extremely good restaurants, this one is unusually fine. This is in part because Soo Young Kim is such a welcoming host, but we have always found the food and wine list to be among the very best in the Bay Area. We look forward to mid-October when it will reopen in San Anselmo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as always!alimaxVIPDined on 9/12/2014We love to come to this little place for dinner! Great food, interesting wine list and good atmosphere for an intimate conversation! Looking forward to visit their new location in San Anselmo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dipsea99VIPDined on 8/30/2014Clam chowder was tasty, rich with clams. The lobster risotto was delicious, also rich with lobster! Ono was excellent but the sandabs were extra-special, perfectly prepared--delicate and tasty. We had a superb bottle of pinot noir and finished with an affogato. It's a pretty simple dessert at one level, but their expresso and vanilla ice cream make this one of the best renditions of affogato we have tasted. Another highly enjoyable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bistro Vis A VisDebsterVIPDined on 8/27/2014Always a great time here from the sublime food to great wine pairings. Soo Young and Eric are great hosts as well, even when telling me I ordered the wrong wine.Special Features:
- Love this place!CharlieDined on 8/23/2014You always feel welcome here, good food, great wine and excellent service - Soo Young and her team do an excellent job! We are looking forward to their new locationSpecial Features:
- surprise in greenbraevallikestoeatVIPDined on 8/23/2014But I hear they are soon moving to San Anselmo…oh well. Great food, terrific wine options tho not much champagne as i recall. Will go back wherever they are…what a surprise to have this good of a meal in marin! yummySpecial Features:
- SublimeeaterDined on 8/19/2014My favorite restaurant in Marin. Fabulous food, great service, wonderful wine, delightful atmosphere. I've brought 4 or 5 different friends here and everyone absolutely loved it. Treat yourself; you won't be sorry.Special Features:
- Lovely mealmsk6261VIPDined on 8/16/2014We find the menu to be consistently inventive and the food to be excellently presented at Vis a Vis. The service is warm and hospitable. Their new location will make it all the more a worthy destination.Special Features:
- Gourmet Delight!Dipsea99VIPDined on 8/9/2014The ono appetizer was ono like you have in Hawaii--that fresh and tasty. The corn chowder was sumptuous, delicate, and flavorful. Kale salad was superb. For the main courses we had the duck--fabulous and the short rib pasta that was --always a winner-- perfectly prepared with roasted brussel sprouts. A shared affogato dessert with homemade vanilla ice cream and a real shot of expresso capped the meal. We shared a bottle of an outstanding Russian River pinot noir and received a bottle of comparable value to take home for a nominal amount as part of their ongoing deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise, very good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/31/2014The food was excellent, fish stew ,spicy and full of shellfish . Clam chowder was perfect, lots of clams. The waitstaff was helpful in finding the alcohol content of the pinot choices. The ambience was good and appropriate for the space. We have added them to our regular list for our nite out, a surprising location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousKSK13Dined on 7/28/2014Excellent food. we particularly liked avocado cucumber soup and mushroom parmesan bread pudding. Lovely and friendly service.Special Features:
- NMFridaymuseDined on 7/11/2014Outstanding food, excellent service, friendly atmosphere. in this gem of a restaurant, tucked away in an unlikely place.Special Features:
- service outmatched by food.conbrioVIPDined on 7/11/2014This is one of the gems of southern Marin for food. Unfortunately on this night the service was rushed and impolite. Nice food should be matched with nice service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorites!KKEVDined on 6/19/2014Sue, the chef, and her staff do a lovely job of pleasing the palate and making dining at Bistro Vis A Vis and experience to remember! I will be backSpecial Features:
- Can't wait 'til next time....Dipsea99VIPDined on 6/19/2014Every dish was a delight--superbly prepared and presented. For creative and tasty food in Marin, this is the place to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always, devinedfarDined on 6/13/2014We've never had a poor meal or a mediocre experience at Vis a Vis. Not once. The food is imaginative, fresh, never over-reaching, never too clever to taste good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - in a Mall...KikoDined on 6/12/2014We went because of the description from locals being so happy for a great meal nearby. Had a bit of a hard time finding it in middle of a mall next to diner and Peets coffee. Seating was too noisy for us inside so we sat outside near a heater. View of parking lot. HOWEVER, fried squash blossoms stuffed w salmon, halibut cheeks, special taste of wine offered as perfect compliment to halibut was above and beyond expectations. I can't remember what my husband had but I know he was equally impressed. So, worth the effort.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 490 reviews are from the Bistro Vis À Vis reviews archive.
- dinerVIPDined on 5/30/2014We have dined here many times and feel lucky to have such a wonderful place in our neighborhood. Especially nice to sit outside with our pooch while we enjoy Marin's finest! The duck and halibut cheeks were especially fine, the artichokes equal to those we had in Rome many years ago.Special Features:
- Never disappointsLeChatVIPDined on 5/26/2014A wonderful summer meal: fresh vegetables, sumptuous salad, special asparagus soup, perfect pasta served with superlative pinot and finished with bread pudding and fruit. This is the place to come when you want an excellent meal in Marin. Year after year, day after day, meal after meal, Vis a Vis stays sharp, fresh, and on point. So grateful.Special Features:
- Fabulous FoodDipsea99VIPDined on 5/16/2014First and foremost, they serve fabulous food here. There are lots of wines by the glass and by the bottle that are special and off the beaten path. Because we ordered a bottle of wine with dinner, we got another bottle to take home for an extra $5-- quite a bargain if you enjoy your wines. We opted for the short ribs and the skirt steak. Both dishes were superbly prepared, I have to say the short ribs are one of my all time favorites. We enjoyed the lobster salad and vegan chilled beat soup as starters, and an affogato for dessert. Somewhere in between there, the owner served us a home made green tea ice cream. This was the best green tea ice-cream we have ever eaten--bar none. Service was friendly, professional, and responsive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My "Go To" neighborhood gemRemyVanPetroVIPDined on 5/14/2014I love this place. The owner is very friendly and the food is spectacular. Although I wish it were on a mountain top with superb views, its location in the Bon Aire mall means it's very convenient. Try it!Special Features:
- Excellent ValuedfarDined on 5/11/2014The creative and excellent food makes this restaurant a delight. Casual but well organized and meticulous in the kitchen, it is always a pleasure to visit.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/10/2014Another great meal at Bistro Vis-A-Vis. Starters, entrees and desserts were outstanding, and Soo Young's recommended wine parings complemented the food perfectly. We have tried almost everything on the menu - as well as many of the specials - and never had a bad meal. If you are a duck fan and that happens to be offered as special it is highly recommended!Special Features:
- cineasteVIPDined on 5/9/2014We skipped appetizers and ordered three entrees. Confit- crisp skin, moist, cannot remember better confit even in France. The seared duck breast was being offered with the same sides so the chef offered to do it with an impromptu salad of shaved asparagus and parsnips. Amazing! Short ribs and pappardelle to round things out and so no room for dessert for this chocoholic but they suggested the affogato with homemade chocolate ice cream and what can we say.Special Features:
- Doesn't Get any better than thisNaturalHorsemanVIPDined on 5/9/2014We were able to get a reservation at the last minute for a Friday night. OK it was early. Started with greetings from Erich and Soo Young. The starter half glass of new rose was a great starter. Soo young suggested the Frito Misto to start. a bed of greens topped with lightly fried shrimp, calamari, and baby octopus all topped with SY's tasty aoli. My bride had the short ribs. Soo Young recommended two half glasses of red based on a customer who said the xyz was good at the start, the as I got into the dish I liked the abc better. Wow, who else makes recommendations like that? I had my personal favorite the fish tacos with a fun zin and SY's KILLER housemade hot sauce. A simple affogato for dessert. And the service was flawless.Special Features:
- 1668ELDined on 5/6/2014I believe VisAVis is a gem of a neighborhood eatery, however, I was a bit disappointed w/my meal, especially since I elected to dine here for my birthday over Gary Danko.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outEcalawayDined on 4/21/2014We had the mussels which were in a spicy tomato broth which were yummy. Then we had the duck which was so tasty. It was paired with a lovely syrrah. one of us had the skirt steak rare which was excellent. What followed was the chocolate lava cake with homemade chocolate ice cream which was to die for. Excellent meal. We are coming back.Special Features:
- Sad...ColcalVIPDined on 4/19/2014We really wanted to love the food at this little restaurant tucked away in a strip mall near our home in Greenbrae but found the food very mediocre. The romaine and cucumber salad was great-we were off to a good start. Then the entrees came. Both my husband's duck breast and my flatiron steak were tasteless. Service was great, but because the food was so lacking, we won't be back.Special Features:
- Great Greenbrae RestaurantJohnDined on 4/18/2014Bistro Vis A Vis is a great find in Greenbrae. Our little group had a wonderful meal -- of note was the trio of mushooms over a pasta topped with seared scallops as well as a wonderful duck dish with sweet carrots in a great reduction sauce. Wonderful meal!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/17/2014When we need a place to go to dinner that everyone can agree on, we go to Bistro Vis-à-vis. Always pleasant. Menu is always interesting.
- Great spot...willowdogDined on 4/4/2014Good food and amazing wine list. We've been there a few times and often the chef is out and about talking to customers, checking in. Love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Owner/Chef makes it great.SusyannahDined on 4/2/2014As soon as I walked in the door, the owner/chef greeted me and took great interest in making sure I had the table of my choice. She watched over our whole dining experience from the kitchen where she does her magic. The waiter was very attentive and professional checking in at the appropriate times, not hovering. A great menu, well executed. Lots of appeal whether you are a red-meat fan, a vegetarian, whatever, she provides inventiveness and skill in everything she does. Highly recommend. Don't let the shopping center location keep you away…parking is easy!Special Features:
- most wonderful as always1bartenderVIPDined on 3/24/2014great food, fresh food, cooked to order, great wine list, good service, fab owner/chef always a pleasure to go thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High expectations exceededdanandgailDined on 3/8/2014The entire experience was truly wonderful. We over ate. Will be trying to work it off for the rest of the week!Special Features:
- Delicious and enjoyable!Dipsea99VIPDined on 3/8/2014A delicious and enjoyable meal. The petrale sole with clams was superb--wonderful clam sauce with some one of the finest preparation of clams I've ever eaten. The short rib papardelle was also delicious. It was hearty, French country-style, yet refined. Salads -- kale and beet were both extremely fresh and nicely prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The chef creates!OliverVIPDined on 3/6/2014Imaginative and thoughtful, the chef creates delectable dishes, and on the moment! In lieu of the duck [consumed for the night], chef crafted a perfectly tender Cornish game hen with wild berries and a lovely glaze for my companion. For me, parsnip "tagliatelle" in a lovely broth topped ginger miso griddled tofu and chanterelle tempura. Not to slight the menu, of course....the kale salad was young and lightly dressed with Pt. Reyes blue, for maximum flavor of both to come through.in balance The service is alert, but not intrusive. A rare and valuable resource in Marin!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!rose6650Dined on 3/3/2014Look forward to returning. Delightful menu, great parking, very nice people.Special Features:
- great findOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/1/2014We had a wonderful experience, food was wonderful, service friendly, owners very hospitable & enjoyable to meet. Wish they were in our neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood RestaurantDrmonarDined on 3/1/2014We went to Bistro Vis a Vis based on reviews on Check Please. We came a half hour early and were seated, however since they had an on time reservation for 10 people, we were asked to wait to order. We were here with friends and were happy to wait giving us lots of time to talk. Our drink order was taken right away so we had drinks while waiting. We split our salads and the kitchen did this for us making it very easy. Two in our party ordered one of the specials, Duck Confit, which was, unfortunately a bit dry. One ordered the sea food stew and the dish was missing part of the listed ingredients. We were comped for one dessert as a result. We thought we would go again, perhaps for lunch. Maybe it was just an off evening.
- Great little restaurantCookieDined on 2/28/2014Enjoyed a birthday celebration at this tiny and yummy restaurant. Great food and service. Perfect for an intimate lunch or dinner or small group.Special Features: