1849 Union St.
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bistrouniquesf.com/
- Phone: 4152184136
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm Tuesday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm Friday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm Saturday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm Sunday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm Reservations recommended.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: André Tripier
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Bistro Unique
Bistro Unique is an authentic, traditional French Bistro restaurant in the Heart of the Cow Hollow neighborhood, San Francisco. Diners can also choose from a sizable, mostly French and Californian wine list. The atmosphere is warm, comfortable and inviting. At Bistro Unique, you will enjoy a delicious fare with attentive and unpretentious service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bistro Unique reviews from OpenTable diners
- Charming French BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/2/2013A perfectly good representation of a French bistro, complete with charming host and wait staff. Parking garages nearby. I will go back.Special Features:
- Service is very UN-acceptableJim188VIPDined on 1/28/2013Service is not acceptable. I received a gift coupon from my sister through travelzoo.com and try out this restaurant. Once we were seated, we were being rushed to order. When I present the coupon to the server (which is the owner), he is so rude saying everyone is using coupon tonight because it was the last day before it expires. I feel so embarrassing because it makes all the customers starring at you. Food is ok but they present you a check before your main course is finished and no dessert menu offer. (I guess they don't want you to spend too much so they don't have to discount you as much) Bottom line, if the owner feel bad about customer using the coupon, the owner should not even starting to sell coupon to the customer.
- Great food, HORRIBLE SERVICEOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/28/2013Great food, horrible service. The manager seemed annoyed that we, along with the majority of guests, had a Yelp! coupon. No one came and checked in with us once we received our meal. We didnt even get a refill on our water. Won't return due to service.
- We were party of four, weOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/27/2013We were party of four, we had a good time, the food was very tasty, and I would definitely go back to try more from the menu.Special Features:
- Good, but hecticGordonDined on 1/27/2013Good food. Filled w TravelZoo couponers (us included) the night we were there, so the placed was packed and the two waiters were doing their best to keep up. As a result, service was a tad slow. We would return; hopefully on a less hectic night.Special Features:
- 45-Minute DelayJenniferVIPDined on 1/26/2013Ratings are required to post, and they are low because I was not able to eat here on this particular evening. On other visits food has been good, service just fine, and overall rating certainly higher than 1 star. This is one of my neighborhood favorites, but Saturday night, despite having a 6:45 reservation, they said the wait was to be 45 minutes. My guest was jet-lagged, so we said no thank you and went elsewhere. Bistro Unique gave the reason for delay as an earlier reservation had "been late." I thought restaurants normally only held tables for 10 minutes or so in order to prevent a ripple effect that delays patrons for the rest of the evening. It seems that reservation management is weak, at least on this evening.Special Features:
- Overcrowded & disregard reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/26/2013I was extremely disappointing by the fact how poor is the restaurant handling reservations. I made a reservation almost 2 weeks ahead, however once we arrived the restaurant was overcrowded. They disregarded the fact that I made a reservation and told us that the waiting time is more than 20 min. The restaurant is very small,the only options for waiting was either standing between tables or outside on the street in cold. The tiny bar area was crowded and there was no other sitting area. I felt sorry for people who were already dining there as guests who were waiting for a table were standing above them. Definitely not a pleasant atmosphere for having a dinner. We left to find another restaurant. Will never come back.
- Small restaurant, filled upOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/26/2013Small restaurant, filled up fast so get there early or plan to wait. Wait is worth it! Serving staff was very friendly and attentive, even during a very busy time of the evening. Food was terrific. Great location in the City. Definitely recommendable.Special Features:
- I live in the neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/25/2013I live in the neighborhood and bought the TZ voucher, looking to find a nice place nearby. Food was very lackluster, the short ribs were tasteless and drowned in sauce ..Service unattentive, I was never asked if I wanted more wine. Then I looked over my shoulder to see my server drinking a glass of wine w customers standing at bar! There were big groups celebrating and appearing to have fun. Unfortunately my boyfriend and I agreed that we wont be back.
- My husband and I thoroughlyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/24/2013My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our experience at Cafe Unique .... the food was wonderful brings memories back from visiting Paris. We will certainly go back for more.Special Features:
- That was the second time weCathyVIPDined on 1/24/2013That was the second time we came to this restaurant. the food was great, so was the service. best of all I truly enjoyed our French waitress who is super friendly, accommodating, so lively and cute! She makes the restaurant!Special Features:
- very disappointed. The foodsagediner1Dined on 1/22/2013very disappointed. The food and the service left much to be desired. The scallops we undersized to the point we believed they sliced them in half. Shocking!
- The food is outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/22/2013The food is outstanding. One knows that there really is a chef back there cooking the food, not someone opening a sousvide pouche. Just real food cooked to perfection. Best onion soup I've had in decades. Please, don't ever change. I long for more restaurants like this. Sigh. Thank you, Sadie Kendall, Kendall Farms Creme FraicheSpecial Features:
- More of a lunch/dinner spotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/20/2013More of a lunch/dinner spot than a brunch spot. They have a few "breakfasty" items (e.g., omelets, eggs benedict, and croque monsiuer/madame, but that's about it. Just to state the obvious, much of the lunch fare is rich, French food. Atmosphere, service, and price/value ratio were all good. Bottomless mimosas were tasty and refilled relatively often. Good location on Union.Special Features:
- Very pleasant wait staff withBilllDined on 1/17/2013Very pleasant wait staff with great service. Our server was very helpful in explainig our Travelzoo options and made us welcome guests to their restaurant.Special Features:
- ValueOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/15/2013Food is ok... but not great value wise! We ordered four different appetizers and three main entrees but none jumps as something worth having again! We will go back to another French Restaurant we tried in the past since Food, Service, Ambiance is so much better...excellent compared to this one!
- All the food was very goodDavidDined on 1/13/2013All the food was very good and they did acknowledge a birthday in our group with a special desert. Felt sorry for the one server that was the server for the entire restaurant. He took all the orders, made all of the drinks, and served all of the food. We were not in a hurry, but this could be an issue if you don't have 3 hours to spend at Brunch.Special Features:
- While there weren't a lotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/12/2013While there weren't a lot of customers, we had excellent service and the food was delicious. They were very accommodating with my large group (8 people).Special Features:
- Great cassoulet and bouillabaisse..OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/10/2013Great cassoulet and bouillabaisse... Nice bistro atmosphere...Special Features:
- What a wonderful New Year'sLoveMyFoodVIPDined on 12/31/2012What a wonderful New Year's Eve experience. The prix fixe menu was delicious, with plenty of options for meat and fish lovers. The ambiance is calming with a small space and low light, and the beautiful accents of all the servers makes for a truly unique experience where you almost feel as though you're in France. Although the food is a little heavy, it's definitely worth it. The restaurant also did a great job decorating the place for the festive occasion and added a special touch with a glass of champagne on the house.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2012We had a fantastic New Years Eve dinner, we'll be visiting again!!!Special Features:
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/24/2012We had a three course prix fixe menu on Christmas eve that was outstanding. Sweetbreads, wild mushroom soup and crab cakes. The sweetbreads were delicately breaded and perfectly fried, with a lovely light sauce to accompany. The crab cake was served with a creamy chipotle sauce, a perfect counterpart to the sweet Dungeness crab meat. The wild mushroom soup was creamy and dark, with the woody overtones of wild mushrooms. Then beef Wellington (ordered by two guests) and rack of lamb. The individual beef tenderloins were cooked medium rare, as per our order, and were wonderfully flavorful and just tender enough. The duxelles and the flaky, perfectly browned pastry shell, eaten with each bit of the steak, were heavenly. High recommendations!Special Features:
- Good was tasty but the portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/21/2012Good was tasty but the portions were way too small. I ordered scallops and I end up only had 3 small ones. I think the food had a lot of salt. Both my friend and I drinking a lot of water that evening after the dinner.
- The most horrible dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 12/13/2012The most horrible dining experience we have ever encountered. The restaurant was crowded with bar's customer standing over your table. The food was below average and it took over 2 hours to get our entres. Will never return and definitely will not recommend to anyone!
- Food was good (8 on 10), butBobbyVIPDined on 12/10/2012Food was good (8 on 10), but the owner was grumpy, too few customers on a Monday evening?Special Features:
- Very limited menu. So so cooking.vyslumDined on 12/10/2012Very limited menu. So so cooking. Not worth it, if did not have the special offer with coupon. No wonder they did not have much business; had only 4 customers including 2 of us the whole evening!
- 2nd visit, ok food, service so solychicDined on 12/1/2012it got busier compared to last time I was there.... we received less attention... menu has no change... but I already ate them in the past. so feel like no more new stuff... wont' go again if they don't update their menu....Special Features:
- Just what we need a GOOD REALOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/28/2012Just what we need a GOOD REAL french restaurant in the Cow Hollow , well priced and authentic, Yannick (?) the owner/manager is a trip.Special Features:
- A real "bistro unique"OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/24/2012Went for a late dinner on a Saturday evening. The French owner was very welcoming and will make you feel like you were in a French bistro. So was the food. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- The food was just simply terrible.BillVIPDined on 11/24/2012The food was just simply terrible. The couscous dish was a gross looking dish with just a little bit of chicken (even though the waiter said it was a thigh and leg).
- Highly disappointedSillyDuckDined on 11/18/2012We decided on this French bistro despite some negative reviews we read as the menu looked good and we found a great deal on travelzoo. We are big foodies and love trying out new restaurants that are off the beaten path. We ordered the beet salad and the muscles, the beet salad was average and dressing bland, the muscles were fresh but lacked flavour. We didn't even want to soak up the broth with our bread, which is usually the best part!We also were offered fries but they never arrived. We chose the beef short ribs and the duck, the duck was average, mashed potatoes were like instant mash I could use as wallpaper paste. The beef was tender but was smothered in an unappetizing jus. Would not return to this restaurant.
- good service, good food, relaxedPatrickDined on 11/17/2012Waiters were pleasant and did not hurry us, which is great for a relaxed dinner. The wine covered a large price range, but even the "cheap" bottle we purchased was fine. The portions are reasonable sizes - not too large, and not so large that food is wasted. None of us ordered the steak (which we noticed on other tables - seemed to be a too-large meal), as we focused on items that appeared more unique (we had escargot and goat cheese apertizers, and were not disappointed). The deserts we ordered were great (both the pair and the chocolate with cream).Special Features:
- We went to the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2012We went to the restaurant because for the voucher we purchased from Travelzoo. The seafood were so good, I had mussels for appetizer, it was the best mussel I've ever had, and seared scallops for entree, which just melted in your mouth. But the Risotto ($20) my daughter ordered was terrible. Bouillabaisse was good, duck was OK. Overall it's good, worth the trip from south bay to SF. One thing I don't like is the table next to us got bigger bowls of mussels, with a toast on top (at least I did not get one). I don't know if it is because I showed the voucher to the waiter (the owner??) before we ordered. Otherwise I'll give 4 stars to the services.
- Bottomless Mimosas!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/10/2012Their bottomless mimosas are REALLY great (and $10!!). The menu issn't very extensive and has a lot of salads and "delicacies" (like liver pate, etc.) but they had a burger, which is what my whole party got, which was delicious! Overall a good place, though not very many heavy "hangover cure" dishes, if that is what you are looking for!Special Features:
- Food.. not goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2012I came here with my Fiancé, not knowing what we where getting into since we have never been here before. He had found this place on Travel Zoo. We had a discount for $35 for a 2 course meal for two. For our appetizers, we had the muscles and escargot.. the worst muscles I have ever had.. it tasted very fishy and bland, no flavor besides the retched fish flavor. The escargot was pretty gross, I like escargot and I have had some pretty good snails before. But this place not impressed, the escargot tasted like a brick of butter, and nothing else. I mean at least put some flavor or even a hint of garlic. Our meals where ok. Then the check came and they add Gratuity, for my check they added $35 more on top and it came to $90.. do not go here!Special Features:
- Think twice before going hereFoodieVIPDined on 11/3/2012I was very disappointed with the entree I ordered. I had chicken cordon bleu and you could barely see the chicken on the plate. There was 3 dried up hard over cook chicken pieces on the plate. I knew it was not just me because another person in our party ordered the same thing and was also complaining how small the chicken pieces were and how dry the chicken was. I would never recommend or return back to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Food was good, not exceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/3/2012Food was good, not exceptional as the price reflects and as usual, Bistro translates to small portions.Special Features:
- Food was great and staff wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/3/2012Food was great and staff was wonderful. Will go back.Special Features:
- Great deallychicDined on 10/27/2012We arrived at 7:30pm though our reservation was at 8pm, we were seated immediately and that's awesome, no wait time. We got the 35 dollar deal for 2 people, good for 2 appetizers that's up to $14 each and 2 main courses that's up to $24 each, but there aren't many selection though. I remember only one appetizer is $14 and one is $24. I wish they have more variety dish for us to choose from or change some menu periodically so that we can try different things at different time. Food was great, for that value, it surprised me for its quality. My cousin loves their scallop! Will definitely buy the deal again if they have new menu.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/27/2012Excellent food and service! A real neighboorhood gem!Special Features: