Bistro Twenty Seven
27 W Broad St
Richmond, VA 23220Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Bistro Twenty Seven
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://bistrotwentyseven.com/
- Phone: (804) 780-0086
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We can accommodate all party sizes, onsite and offsite, up to 500 people. Please contact William Wright, General Manager, at 804.780.0086.
- Private Party Facilities: Two separate areas for up to 36 people and 70 people, depending on size of group. Bar and patio dining available on request.
Please contact William Wright, General Manager, at 804.780.0086.
- Private Party Contact: William Wright 8047800086x
A word from Bistro Twenty Seven
Bistro Twenty Seven is a lively European bistro located in downtown Richmond, Virginia at the corner of Broad and Adams. With our floor-to-ceiling, wrap around windows and airy 20 foot ceilings, Twenty Seven offers a dining experience like no other in Richmond. Our menu is influenced by the hearty, healthy cuisines of Italy and France and features something for everyone’s taste. Twenty Seven’s wine lists ranges from inexpensive, little known gems to world class award winners. We are just a blocks away from downtown hotels including Marriott, Jefferson Hotel, Hilton Garden Inn and more. Parking is free, just one block away, during dinner hours only at the corner of Adam and Grace Street, in the southwest corner. Look for the Bistro 27 sign.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bistro Twenty Seven reviews from OpenTable diners
88 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (36)fit for foodies (34)romantic (27)neighborhood gem (23)good for groups (21)notable wine list (12)great for brunch (12)great for lunch (5)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (4)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (3)late-night find (3)Show More
- Shocked!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/24/2014This place definitely surprised me! I had walked by and driven by the place a couple times and it kept catching my eye.. I finally decided to give it a try. As soon as I was walking up to the door, they greeted me with such great happy energy. When I told them I made a reservation, they took me ahead of the walk in, as they should have. The chairs were comfortable, fit well with the wine. Very personable! Great food! We shared a couple different things, mussels, their Bistro salad and then I had a chicken entrée for dinner. Be sure to check it out when you're in the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easy access and free parking. Friendly staffOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/24/2014Love the open feeling yet cozy atmosphere. Great window views of city street. Just right food portions and timing between courses was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014I ate alone at the bar, and Ok had a great meal. I ordered the Ahi Tuna. It was served with polenta, brussel sprouts and a house salad. All of the ingredients were fresh and it all tasted amazing. The service was great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedretiredfrequentdinersDined on 11/19/2014On the positive side, the people were courteous. On the negative side, my salad was made with "brown" lettuce. The salad and soup were served before we finished our appetizer. One of our steaks was OK, but the other was not - a lot of "grizzle". For the price --- very disappointed.
- evening outg66oatDined on 11/16/2014Our group of four like to try different places. We were pleased with the varied menu which had something for everyone. we all had a seafood dish which consisted of the baby clams, crab cakes salmon and I had the Ahi Tuna.. All dishes were delish. We will try again maybe for Sunday brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, erratic serviceRoanokerDined on 11/16/2014Food was nice although several menu items were not available at 11:30 on Sunday morning. One item was supposed to include caviar. It arrived without it. After he was informed about this, the waiter promised to bring some capers instead. They never arrived. In general things seemed a bit erratic in a fairly empty restaurant, although the food we did receive was nicely prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth itMarried50yoFoodieDined on 11/15/2014A group of us wanted a hip, special place to celebrate some happy occasions. We were seated at a large table right next to the door and it was very cold. It took a while to get most of our drinks and even 20 minutes for a Cosmo. Odd because it wasn't that busy. The portions were small and no one loved their meals. The server was aloof. We all agreed this was the wrong choice. None would return.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Sat evening was BY FAR the worst experience we have ever had. We arrived for our reservation, to find no one at the hostess stand. After being ignored for 15-18 minutes I went up to a staff member, presumably the manager since he was not dressed as a waiter. He was borderline rude to me when I asked if there was a hostess. He quipped, we're busy and she'll be with you shortly. After about another 5=8 minutes the hostess did indeed show up. She told me she would get a table ready for us. We were finally seated in about another 10 minutes. Our waiter eventually came to the table, but he was not very well trained on items on the menu. The pasta had obviously been sitting around for a while, was rubbery! Not an enjoyable experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst Service EverrvafoodfanaticDined on 11/8/2014When we asked the waitress what the vegetable & starch of the day were, she said, "It's as much a mystery to me as to you". We asked her to ask the chef. She said no. One person asked for double the veggie and no starch, she said no. She didn't serve one of the appetizers to a female customer, but gave the same order to a male. When we mentioned it wasn't served, waitress said, "oh yeah - we're out". The first 2 bottles of wine we ordered were not in stock. We asked what did they have. She recommended one, but didn't bring it until I asked again for it and she rolled her eyes at us. We went 30 minutes without drinks. And told her we were trying to make a play. Food was average. Ambiance average. I would never recommend or go back.
- gatehouseDined on 11/6/2014My wife and I had a great experience at a restaurant that we knew nothing about except on their website. There was a large party (25 or so) ahead of us and the restaurant manager was concerned that our wait was too long. We were not the least concerned and enjoyed being there. He comped us an extra drink apiece which we appreciated, but did not expect. We live 2 hours from Richmond, but we will certainly plan to dine there on our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BaileyBaileyDined on 11/5/2014Had to send my fish back but was quickly replaced with a delicious meal. So happy with the parking arrangement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKJohn3VIPDined on 11/1/2014Hadn't been to Bistro Twenty Seven for a while and was somewhat disappointed. The wine list was was limited and not very impressive, mostly generic Italian and French wines, mixed drinks had a watered down taste to them. Our food was delivered at nice pace and as we ordered, but was not that great. The broth the mussels were served in was very salty and not that savory. The salads were swimming in salad dressing, in fact the dressing over powered any flavors in the salad itself. The tuna was cooked properly, but again way too salty. Again our meal was just so so. The service was good, but it will be a while before I go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We celebrated our 18 wedding aKGregoryDined on 10/31/2014Anniversary , loved everything all was perfect Great atmosphere Great spit in the city Nice polite service Great selection of foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just RightMotaVIPDined on 10/19/2014A wonderful place for a Sunday brunch especially before the theater (just across the street) or a drink afterwards. The neighborhood still lends itself to being carfeful but this spot is welcoming and the owner/manager makes certain all guests are happy. They serve the traditional Sunday brunch menu with a few new and creative dishes offered alongside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exc. for dinner before VA REP play.lovebeautifulfoodDined on 10/18/2014Fantastic dinners--salmon, scallops, shrimp--that the 4 of us enjoyed! Beautiful presentations. Waiter was helpful, efficient, and pleasant We all enjoyed the ambiance and will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceRVAbornDined on 10/9/2014Nice - one meal great other was dry but good. Service was excellent and food very timely. Ambience lovely.Special Features:
- Opera nitejagmanDined on 10/5/2014Very close and quiet till a bus parked out front and unloaded into the restaurant. Waiter very nice, but forgot our candied walnut for the salad. Nice drinks but no dark beers on tap. Mentioned it was in new hands of late.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Food was off the charts. Definitely worth the visit again. The ambiance is very subtle, no music playing, but there is plenty of white noise from the hustle and bustle of the restaurant and city that you don't have to overhear your neighbors conversation.Special Features:
- Perfect for the art walkAnthonyDined on 10/3/2014We came here before wondering the First Friday Art Walk because 1) I've wanted to go for a while and 2) we had a restaurant.com voucher from a Groupon. Any critique would be from my restaurant experience and beyond nit picking. The staff was that perfect level of courteous and friendly. Our server (Nick, I think) was attentive and a pleasure to have helping us for the night. They accommodated us when we asked to split the pasta special as an app for two without hesitation - which was a great idea as the pasta special was delicious. The entree (seared duck) was balanced and well executed with that perfectly rendered and crispy skin that a duck breast should have. Great time; we will be back!Special Features:
- Definite favorite!VTgalDined on 9/27/2014Excellent food and service! Perfect pre-theater dining spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/22/2014This was our first visit to Bistro 27. We both had the salmon; prepared as we ordered. Overall, the meal and the service were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/20/2014This is a very good restaurant; conveniently located to downtown events. Go there whenever we can. Good food; good service; nice people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unmatched menusbdmtDined on 9/19/2014After reviewing the on- line menu, we arrived at the restaurant to find the chef had changed and the on- line menu was no longer available. Our waiter stated we were the fourth couple to comment about the change!!! Would you not think that would be a clue to delete the menu that is unavailable? Thus we were disappointed in the current menu which basically offered mashed potatoes and basic vegetables with all entrees that were not pasta. That's not to say our food was not good but we were looking for something different.
- pgg1313VIPDined on 9/13/2014William and his staff always do a fantastic job, love the new decor and the new menu.Special Features:
- Another Terrific ExperienceChaccofVIPDined on 9/13/2014This is our fourth or fifth visit in the last six months. Working our way through the many terrific choices on the menu. Try the risotto rice balls.Special Features:
- Highly recommendeddharveyDined on 9/12/2014What a gem! Upscale but not snooty. Staff was extremely attentive and accommodating. Food was top-notch. We will be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awkward!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Apparently Bistro 27 failed to inform opentable that the restaurant would be closed Aug 31, the Sunday before Labor Day. So, um, we went to Bamboo Cafe which was pretty good. But Bistro 27 still looks enticing. You may disregard my ratings because I couldn't send the email without filling them out.
- Nice atmosphere, food tasty but...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014The fried calimari was enjoyable, very lightly fried, I would have preferred a more golden hue, very pale and anemic looking but tasty and not soggy. The steak which was requested to be "medium rare... more on the rare side"... was actually closer to medium with a hint... hint of pink. But again the taste was good. "Whipped" potatoes were in reality, mashed with chunks of barely cooked enough potato. Chunks not small bits. But, once again they were tasty. Creme Brulee was delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rude owner and serverFionaDined on 8/25/2014We arrived to Bistro 27 with high hopes and we were greeted by a old heavy set man who is the owner William Wright who looked like a pedafil with a ungroomed beard and white stains on the back off his pants. He was abrupt and short and acting like he didn't didn't want to seat us because it was 9:40pm. We finally get seated and our server Michael seemed unhappy to be there it was like being serviced by a corpse. He rambled off the specials and took our order and that is basically all he did. We had to ask for drink refills and were never asked how our meal was. My husband had the bolognese and I had the chargrilled chicken which was good. We were never asked if we wanted dessert or coffee. We felt rushed. Needless to say we won't be back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014The waiter we had was very personable. He made sure to come by and check on you and offered suggestions. I don't eat pork and for breakfast they do not have any breakfast substitutes. I ended up ordering the waffle which comes with a fried egg and fruit. The fruit was fresh and the egg was ok. However that waffle was extremely dry. I had my 3 year old niece with me and she wouldn't even eat it. The restaurant the entire time had only us and maybe 2 or three other tables there. The manager came over after we were finish to clean the table off and asked about our food then.Special Features:
- Fishy FishBuddyVIPDined on 8/10/2014My wife ordered fish. The smell was too much. Told waiter. He ignored us. Been here several times, but will not go back!!!
- Not recommendedDisappointedDined on 8/10/2014Ordered well done and got rare! On line menu says one thing and restaurant says different and waiter said never had item on brunch menu.
- Good brunch placeColgateDined on 8/10/2014Although it's not as good as with the other owners, our brunch was very good. I had the mussels, which were very tasty, plentiful and accompanied with toasted rye bread to soak up the extra sauce and sausage.Special Features:
- Best meal we've had in a long time!1stTimeReviewerDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I took a weekend getaway in Richmond and as part of our package received a gift certificate to Bistro Twenty Seven. We checked their website and were very interested, so we made a reservation. We arrived a bit early but were seated right away. The service was prompt and very friendly, and we enjoyed chatting with out waiter about the selections. Our calamari and arancini appetizers were outstanding, and our meals (scallops for her, farm chicken for me) were just perfect -- bright, flavorful, and delicious. We will return to Bistro Twenty Seven!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Changes after "Relaunch"RVAEATOUTDined on 8/5/2014We were excited to come back after the "relaunch." However, just different lipstick on the same pig. VERY rushed to order--even in an almost empty restaurant. Waiter interrupting and not waiting for a pause in conversation. Oversold "special" that is just average that arrives differently than sold by the waiter with only "I'm sorry" as an excuse. I would think with so many other dining options, they would appreciate customers who have been patient. What is it about this place? I just don't know.
- wonderful.shgreenDined on 8/3/2014Food was wonderful. Owner waited on us and he couldn't have been more accomodating. Found thru trip advisor.. booked thru open table. Entire experience was incredible. We don't live close by but went for Redskins trading camp, should I say I went for the food!!! not the camp. Will definitely revisit Bistro 21 next summer. Thank You.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- monkDined on 8/3/2014I have dined at Bistro 27 for dinner, and the food was very good. But make a good omelet is not its forte.
- Less than smoothdobrmunzDined on 8/2/2014Service was less than smooth. Waiter seemed to only be able to respond in one word sentences and seemed put off at times. A request for more bread almost seemed too much to ask for. Portion sizes of the pasta dishes varied greatly from whopping to downright small. The shrimp linguini was so overpowered with fennel I originally thought it was pasta. Not good. I might give it one more chance, but just one.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cannonball Run?DakotaDined on 8/2/2014LOVED B27 - a go-to for bringing guests. But this was disappointing. We arrived on time for our reservation, looked fwd to B27's usual good food/service. Great arancini & calamari, wish we had more good comments. But the host was abrupt, kitchen sent wrong dish, pasta bolognese was unpleasant enough not to finish, still half-full dinner plate whisked away without asking. We were rushed through from start to finish, no time to enjoy our evening, out the door in 45. We were so upset we asked if there was a hurry to change over the table (there were several empty tables that nite)! Icing on the cake was as we left we were told they'd had a party of 20 and it was a hard nite. Well, sad to say, we had a hard nite too. So sad.
- The following 115 reviews are from the Bistro Twenty Seven reviews archive.
- loved Bistro 27luv2dineDined on 7/27/2014Decided to give it a try and beyond satisfied. The waiter went above and beyond. I had to bite my younger to not over induldge. Quality service, amazing lighting, great ambiance, and deliciously delicious food! Loved it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.