120 Lombard Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bistroromano.com/
- Phone: (215) 925-8880
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday – Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday – Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Ricardo Rodriguez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Bistro Romano provides off-site catering & theme parties for 25 to 2500.
- Entertainment: Piano Bar Friday & Saturday; Mystery Dinner Theater Friday & Saturday - Must call 215-238-1313 for Mystery Theatre tickets.
- Cross Street: Between Front and 2nd
- Public Transit: Septa: 40 Bus, 57 Bus
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: Parking Meters are free after 5pm on Wednesday nights . Discounted parking at Park America Garage at 215 Lombard Street: Sunday-Thursday $6, Friday and Saturday $15. Acquire parking pass from hostess.
A word from Bistro Romano
This Historic Landmark, nestled in an 18th century granary, will stimulate your senses with an ambiance of candlelight and casual elegance while creating an unforgettable dining experience. Wine Spectator Award for our wine list! Voted a “Best of Philly” Restaurant, guests enjoy Bistro Romano’s acclaimed Regional Italian Cuisine and rave of the award-winning Caesar Salad prepared tableside and the romantic underground wine cellar for two. Please call for Wine Cellar and Mystery Theatre reservations. We are now celebrating our 25th year! Wine Spectator Best of Award of Excellence (Two Glasses). Over 750 wine selections, including 20 by the glass.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Bistro Romano - Best Restaurants in Society Hill ›
Bistro Romano reviews from OpenTable diners
221 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
romantic (174)special occasion (130)notable wine list (99)neighborhood gem (95)fit for foodies (85)good for groups (45)hot spot (17)late-night find (16)vibrant bar scene (13)scenic view (7)kid-friendly (6)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Great meal!carythecobra85Dined on 11/24/2014Arrived on time for our 9:30 reservation and was immediately informed by the bored-looking hostess that the kitchen would be closing in 15 minutes (restaurant website says 10, not 9:45). I had indicated that it was an anniversary celebration on opentable and that was not acknowledged. Instead, we felt rushed from the moment we walked in. Fortunately, the romantic ambience, expertly-prepared food, extensive wine list, and pleasant wait/support staff made up for the rude hostess. Our server made great suggestions and executed the table-side Caesar with flair. Still, we asked for the check with our entrees and skipped dessert because the hostess had made it very clear that they all wanted to get out of there... Still, I'd recommend the restaurant to anyone visiting Philly looking for some great food, wine, and unbeatable ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Been DisappointedHappydinerDined on 11/23/2014We have been going to Bistro Romano for 20+ years. We have never been disappointed. Great food, great service and great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Italian RestaurantFoodluverVIPDined on 11/22/2014My husband and I often come here for a quiet, romantic Italian dinner. It is a lovely place, with soft candlelight, great food and always impeccable service. The only glitch was a large family with unruly children, who were obviously having a party and were right behind us. I do not understand why parents take their children to nice restaurants and let them run around, making noise and disturbing other guests. They should have booked a private room, or better yet, left the children at home! Be considerate, people!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tmarinojrDined on 11/22/2014We celebrated my girlfriend's birthday on Saturday November 22, 2014. Her first time at Bistro Romano and she thought it was very romantic and the food was cooked to perfection.Special Features:
- First time fanKeriDined on 11/22/2014Made reservations here based on other opinions found online and was pleasantly surprised. Food was delicious. I had the goat cheese tortellini, which was unlike anything I've had before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian restaurant in Philly.NickVIPDined on 11/20/2014Caesar salad is a must. Veal dishes are outstanding,superb wine list and a top notch staff. This restaurant and staff has character.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special night outLMwhiteDined on 11/16/2014The atmosphere is romantic in a historic old building. Tableside ceasar salad is always a treat and the food excellent. Our waiter, Shawn was friendly and informative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what a total treatqegodocDined on 11/14/2014Well-performed opera, fine food and exceptional service make each visit a delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly RecommendDee1Dined on 11/14/2014Food was very good and service was excellent. Server explained specials, wine list and answered all questions. We did not feel rushed in making our decision on what we wanted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good mealTomAndJaneDined on 11/10/2014Seated right away, great atmosphere. Properly paced, good specials, attentive service, everything was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/9/2014Bistro Romano is an excellent choice for romantic and for group events. Delicious food, great wine list, and wonderful ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- all around great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014all around great restaurant to when you walk in the door and are seated to the service and the food. Timing of the courses was perfect. live music was an added bonus. Ambiance was beautiful.Special Features:
- Caesar Salad Not to Be Missed!SusanWVIPDined on 11/8/2014My niece and I enjoyed a lovely dinner at Bistro Romano this past Saturday night. We arrived a little early, and were seated promptly. My niece having just turned 16 is not the most adventurous eater, but she does love her Caesar salad, and this was one not to be missed. It has been years since I've had table-side Caesar Salad service -- fresh egg and all! While there were not whole anchovies, we were told the anchovy paste is freshly prepared in the kitchen. It was a real treat once the cart arrived with the big 'ole wooden bowl, and the salad was prepared by someone whose sole job is yes, making Caesar salads. We gave it a big two thumbs up. Mussels, Lobster ravioli and Grouper were all delicious. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as we rememberedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Back to Philly for a romantic weekend, and dinner at Bistro Romano was as good as when we first found it years prior.Special Features:
- Repeat performanceJC10192013Dined on 11/8/2014Our 2nd time going to the Bistro- another great experience,, great food ,, relaxing atmosphere, very enjoyable!!! Also was in and out before the play at 8!Special Features:
- What a find!foodie2Dined on 11/7/2014The ffod was excellent and the table we had allowed for conversation without having to scream at each other. Further we never felt rushed.Special Features:
- A great MealJohnnyhiDined on 11/6/2014My wife and I had an early dinner at Bistro Romano. This was our first time. The service was efficient and very warm. Both our meals were great, including the table side caesar salad. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- charming and nostalgicdeceivedDined on 11/1/2014Great location in the heart of historic neighborhood, with very convenient street parking at the square a half block away. The table side Cesar Salad was fresh and authentic. Our entree's were amazing and tasty- old style Tuscan style comfort food- all very delicious! The duck was tender and not at all greasy as at other restaurants, the reduction served with it was intense!! If you like (or love) broccoli rabe as much as I do - you cannot go wrong with the sausage/canellini beans and Broc-Rabe appetizer. 5 stars from me!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Dining Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014The food, environment and service were all FANTASTIC!!!! A totally delicious experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zagats ?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014If you like being kept waiting for 40 minutes for your reserved table for 5; if you want a table with chairs which actually slide down an incline located in a stiff breeze because the main door is left open; if you like sending out the bloodhounds to find your waiter; if you enjoy patrons who act as if they have reserved the restaurant for a private bachelor/bachelorette party; if you want food which arrives lukewarm and is indifferently presented then this is definitely the place for you. Saturday night at this restaurant was one of the most unpleasant dining, no eating, experiences ever and because it was to be a special evening for out-of- town guests totally embarrassing.
- Great eveningGOODDined on 10/25/2014We dined here a yr. ago. Food was good this time, but not as good as last year. We will go backSpecial Features:
- wonderful!GastroDined on 10/24/2014Very consistent. Happy to have this restaurant in my neighborhood to share with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazingfood4thoughtDined on 10/24/2014I went there with my girlfriend for our anniversary. It was perfect! The food was amazing and the service was second to none.Special Features:
- Second to none!rsteely1020Dined on 10/19/2014There is no place like Bistro Romano. It great for a special occasion or just a night out with friends. The décor is romantic and inviting and the service is second to none. The food is always prepared to perfection and the desserts are to die for. I would HIGHLY recommend Bistro Romano to anyone looking for a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEYOND EXPECTATIONS!GBTOUBSDined on 10/18/2014WE DROVE DOWN FROM CT EARLY IN THE MORNING TO VISIT OUR SON WHO IS ATTENDING UPENN. HE IS A FUSSY FOODIE, AND AT THE TENDER AGE OF 20, A HARSH CRITIC. WE WERE JOINED BY OUR NIECE, ALSO LIVING IN PHILLY. THE ENTIRE EXPERIENCE WAS POSITIVE, AND OUR DINNERS WERE DELICIOUS, AND ALMOST REFRESHING. WE WILL GO BACK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceJMBTGBVIPDined on 10/18/2014Great service, great food and a nice wine list. Will go back to try desserts - too full first time!!Special Features:
- QuaintCarlDined on 10/18/2014Nice romantic Italian wine cellar dinning, great menu and food. Have dined there many times. Located in Society Hill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply LovelyBeautifulDezDined on 10/17/2014Came here on my birthday with my 9 year old daughter.... Then brought my boyfriend on his birthday. Enjoyed both experiences!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bistro romanoSolvtecDined on 10/17/2014Yet again bistro Romano delivered a top notch dining experience. I think the waiter was new cause he didn't seem to know the menu fully but the food was incredible and the wine list goes on for days with several gems. While it isn't my #1 Italian restaurant in the city it is definitely near the top of the listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I've had better at chain restaurantMadFoodieDined on 10/16/2014Wanted a romantic setting for my Boy friends birthday so after seeing pictures and reading reviews I decided to go. Some reviews have 5 🌟 for food some have 1🌟. The food was less then flavorful! I've had better Italian at chain restaurants which is disappointing. But hey you live and you learn. Not to helpful or friendly with minority'sSpecial Features:
- It just wasn't goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/13/2014The flavors were not there. Nothing bad, just not for us.
- ServiceDinerDined on 10/12/2014Service was not up to previous dining experience here. Asked for something when we ordered and then served we had to ask again. Served a spoon with desert and found it inadequate to use. Asked fork. Finally got up and took from another table. Fork never came. Attention to detail lacking. Food very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/12/2014My wife and I live in Bucks, but trek too your restaurant at least 4 -5 times a year, love it !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only Issue was ParkingHSteinDined on 10/10/2014Great food, great service. We started off at the bar with a glass of wine. We got seated downstairs which was a little tight but somewhat romantic due to the lighting and decor. We ordered two of the specials for the night; the menu is extensive though and looked very good. The swordfish was delicious and well-priced but the appetizer & pasta were a little steep (appetizer was $15 for a very small plate of mozzarella & pumpkin gnocchi was $30). Both had great flavor, but if you are price conscious, you might want to ask before ordering any specials. Parking in this area stinks though and a garage spot costs $25.00 on a weekend night. I suggest taking a cab or train if you can to save yourself the headache of trying to look for a spot.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Overall wonderful meal and I would recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:
- Fantastic steak fritesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/9/2014We were very happy with our dinner here. The atmosphere was lively and the waiter was attentive. The menu was fairly limited but that being said, everything on the menu was very appealing. The steak frites was the best meal that I have had in a long time and the pasta carbonara was also very satisfying. Would definitely go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiancelauraDined on 10/5/2014Service was excellent and right on point. Wine list, while very extensive, was very well catagorized and easy to view. Food was very good and the ambiance downstairs is very romantic. Great place for date night.Special Features:
- Has been betterDisappointedDined on 10/4/2014I have visited Bistro Romano several times for dinner and this was my least favorite visit. My stuffed chicken, although large in portion size, was small in flavor. The bread pudding dessert was mushy and not very good. I'll go back but only for the atmosphere.Special Features:
- Night Out in PhillyBlackmoonDined on 10/3/2014The bar area is great and has character. The dining area in the basement has a dungeon feel with a cozy atmosphere. If your in Philly and looking for a spot to dine, the Bistro Romano is the spot on the low!Special Features:
- Not quite as good as other timesPhillySoozDined on 10/2/2014My husband and I usually come here for our anniversary, New Year's Eve and/or Valentine's Day, since it is one of the most (if not the most) romantic restaurants in the city. We always have the Caesar salad, which this time didn't live up to previous experiences. We told the waitress not to hold back on the garlic. And, yet, the amount of garlic wasn't "zingy" enough, as it has been in the past. The proportion of the other ingredients also seemed to be "off." I also ordered the ricotta fritters. They were well-cooked and not greasy, but not very flavorful. The bruschetta was delicious, however. We were too full after the appetizers and salad to have entrees. We will be back, though, since I think it was just an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.