12724 Occoquan Rd.
Woodbridge, VA 22192Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.bistrolhermitage.com/
- Phone: (703) 499-9550
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm;
Lunch: Thursday & Friday 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Dawn Burkart
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We accept parties between 20 to 120 people.
- Private Party Contact: Youssef Eagle Essakl 703-499-9550x
A word from Bistro L'Hermitage
As the Historic Occoquan Waterfront Area welcomes L'Hermitage, a Classic French Bistro, we welcome you. Long time DC restaurateur (21 Federal/Bob Kinkead,Ex Co-Owner of Marcels DC, Watergate Hotel F&B) Youssef Eagle Essakl has transformed a building and the surrounding property in historic downtown Occoquan into his vision of a Romantic French country bistro. L'Hermitage, a great escape from the hectic DC restaurant scene, promises 'relaxed good taste' with the polish and sophistication of fine dining. Join us for a very special experience.Continued
Our Motto is:
"Hospitality is the Art of Making Others Feel Welcome, Comfortable, and at Home.
It is the Talent for Spreading Warmth and Kindness that will be Remembered Always."
Our Motto is:
"Hospitality is the Art of Making Others Feel Welcome, Comfortable, and at Home.
It is the Talent for Spreading Warmth and Kindness that will be Remembered Always."
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Bistro L'Hermitage - Best Restaurants in Woodbridge ›
Bistro L'Hermitage reviews from OpenTable diners
185 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (156)romantic (131)neighborhood gem (125)fit for foodies (119)notable wine list (76)great for brunch (43)good for groups (37)great for lunch (22)hot spot (9)late-night find (6)scenic view (5)vibrant bar scene (5)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Best Occoquan FoodFoodManchuDined on 11/23/2014Excellent restaurant where you know the owner will take care of you. Food is great as is the service. Can't beat it for local fare and the whole experience is just a fun evening out. One of the best parts is the owner rehabbed an old restaurant himself and turned it into a local gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningDinerfromVirginiaDined on 11/22/2014The restaurant was packed (always a good sign), but the noise level made it very difficult to talk with others around the round table. Bartender was excellent and wait staff did a very good job. This was a first visit and looking forward to another.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but not againTroubledByServiceDined on 11/22/2014My wife and I are fans of L'Auberge Chez Francois in Great Falls. However, since moving closer to Bistro L'Hermitage our friends encouraged us to give it a shot as it's their special place. To encourage us along they gave us a $250 gift certificate to force the issue. The ambiance at Bistro Hermitage is quaint, if a bit loud, evoking the sense of a family filled country cottage. Our waiter wasn't keen on making recommendations but the menu had numerous enticing options and we all found something we wanted. The food was prepared and served brilliantly. Everyone agreed there was just a little something extra that made the food stand apart from other restaurants. My salad, sea scallops and lemon tart were exquisite. What detracted from the meal was the service - hard to get a hold of our server- and an unfortunate incident at the end of our meal. My gift certificate was for $250 and said so on the document. The restaurant, however, instead insisted it was only good for $200 and stood firm on that point. I was told it was printed "in error". Muddling through that put a damper on the entire evening. Personally I won't choose to visit a restaurant that refuses to honor their own gift certificates. While a farther drive ultimately the food at Chez Francois is at worst equally good and they treat everyone as the best of family.Special Features:
- InconsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/22/2014Service was outstanding and tipped accordingly. The oyster hors d'oeuvre was outstanding. The escargot were quite good. Veal cheeks were also very good. The beef stew was less than hoped for. The salmon was tasteless. Stick with the French specialties.
- Amazing experienceCoopsDined on 11/21/2014I took my wife to Bistro L'Hermitage to celebrate her birthday and had an amazing dining experience. We very rarely eat out at what I consider to be "nice" places... we're quite at home at a pub or a diner, but we do enjoy good food and service - and Bistro L'Hermitage did not disappoint. My wife had the french onion soup to start and the scallops for her entree. I had potato soup to start and the pork loin for my entree. The celery puree with the pork was perfect! Everything was cooked to perfection. Everything was delicious. We each had a martini that was delicious. We ended up being so stuffed, we split dessert - the lemon tart. It was the best dining experience we'd had in years. Very memorable. The service staff were very attentive to our needs. The main guy kept checking on us to make sure we had everything we wanted and was so incredibly nice. Not stuffy at all. We'll definitely be going back for all our special occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014I took my girlfriend there for her birthday and it was the first time we had both been there. The dinner was amazing and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly Exceptional!FoodManChuDined on 11/18/2014This was our 3rd time dining at L'Hermitage and every single time it has been outstanding. The service is excellent, very attentive without being overbearing or intrusive, and very friendly and welcoming. Our meals were simply exquisite. I had one of the chef's specials ... filet mignon and shrimp. Very, very good. My wife had the roast duck, which was extraordinary. This restaurant is a true neighborhood gem, and we'll be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best reataurant in Woodbridge, VAMadeInJADined on 11/18/2014Bistro L'Hermitage is a hidden gem. We've eaten there several times and each meal (and dining experience) has been excellent. The food is great and the service is outstanding. On each of our visits the owner has stopped by our table to inquire about our food and experience. We'll keep going back as long as they're in business!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ManhattanDined on 11/15/2014The most recent visit by my wife and I was to celebrate our 7th wedding anniversary, and we have celebrated several of our anniversary dinners there. The staff always greets us warmly, and if the owner has a moment, he personally greets us as well. We appreciate the special touches. My wife's folks will be visiting us for Christmas and we hope to get them down there again, as we did two years ago when they spent Christmas with us. The food is always great and the staff is very attentive. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a nice dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!Katti703Dined on 11/15/2014I love this restaurant for special occasions! I've never been disappointed, and this time was no exception. I made a special request which was graciously accepted, and was done to perfection. They carry a wonderful Riesling which I absolutely adore and is a must indulge item on my list each and every time I visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fancy DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014My friends and I enjoyed the whole experience, I picked the place to celebrate my friend's engagement and they were all very impressed from the moment they walked in. The service could have been better, waiter did not check to see if we needed anything else to drink and that includes water, when he did return, he was ready to take our plates of the table and give us our check, we did feel as if he was rushing us out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best restaurant in VA!MitchVIPDined on 11/14/2014This restaurant never disappoints. Best food and service in VA!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favoriteKateVIPDined on 11/8/2014Bistro L'Hermitage is welcoming, with outstanding service and food. I love bringing friends to enjoy it all, and to try the delectable menu offerings. Thanks!Special Features:
- Great findLunch123VIPDined on 11/7/20144th time here and food and service was great yet again. Not inexpensive but a great place to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious French Dining!TriciaVIPDined on 11/6/2014My husband and I enjoyed our joint birthday dinner celebration at this charming and delightful restaurant. It always reminds me of a bistro in the Normandy area of France. The choices on the menu are extensive and there is always something for everyone to enjoy! Be sure and try this lovely restaurant during the holidays!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Neighborhood GemFoodieVADined on 11/4/2014This is a great restaurant for any occasion. They have a great selection of wines. We celebrated our Wedding Anniversary with our young son. My family enjoyed every bite starting with the bread and butter. The potato leek soup with crabmeat was decadent. We ordered Ceasar's salad with white anchioves. Our main entrees were Lamb Shank, Chilean Sea Bass with Scallops, Strip Steak. The sides served with each entree were very good. The Creme Brulee is creamy, Chocolate Mousse, and Cappuccinos were also good. Our server was great and very attentive to details. The staff was friendly and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our go-to special placel3wwlDined on 11/2/2014Everything was just perfect. Appetizer dishes of grilled shrmp and grilled calamari were tasty and tender; lamb shank and scallops were scrumptious. wines were great. dessert trio were delectable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in OccoquanKingPennDined on 11/2/2014Been twice for brunch, amazing!! Hangar steak and eggs the first time and garlic shrimp the second. So good! Everything was cooked perfectly and the staff was friendly and helpful. I will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happyVIPDined on 11/2/2014This is the best restaurant in NoVa for brunch. Try the eggs benedict with crab meat as the base. Delicious!Special Features:
- Great birthday spot!food4beckDined on 11/1/2014Went here for my sister's birthday and it was great! 7 people and not one complaint, all dishes were great. They were patient with our late arriving guest and didn't make us wait to be seated. Excellent recommendations, but nothing pushed. Great service. You should try it.Special Features:
- So glad I found L'HermitagepdubVIPDined on 11/1/2014What a wonderful experience I had. My husband and two friend helped me celebrate my birthday. I didn't know what to expect by the look of the outside of the restaurant however, upon entering I felt as if I was being welcomed into a friends home. Warm atmosphere, not stuffy. The staff made us feel as if we were their only guests. Catering to our every food and drink requests. The food was a lovely surprise of flavors. Items you I had before were prepared differently here so my taste buds were delighted. Even the birthday dessert was amazing and the creme brule' is to die for. I will definitely go back and I will tell my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/1/2014First time visit, will definitely return. Enjoyed the meal and the environment Defiinitely recommndSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/31/2014A very enjoyable experience. The service was excellent with attention to detail.Special Features:
- Lunch with Friendstwilighter1Dined on 10/31/2014My wife and I lunched with friends from Maryland who enjoy good food and had not eaten here before. We all had something different and everything was excellent. Service was attentive but not pushy. Both the décor and the menu have French roots without being overwhelmingly foreign. The lunch menu offers a good range of choices. Too bad that lunch is only available on Thursdays and Fridays.Special Features:
- Amazing experiencelovetoeatoutDined on 10/30/2014I brought my wife here for her birthday on 30 Oct, and it was one of the most amazing dining experiences we've ever had. The food, service, atmosphere, and mood were top notch. We met another patron who was a regular there, and he told us the cinderella story of the owner, and the tribulations he went through to achieve his dream. His restaurant is truly remarkable, and we are so glad he didn't give up on it when times got tough during construction. We WILL see him again!Special Features:
- Hidden GemHappyDined on 10/28/2014Really enjoyed the whole experience. Interior is nicely done. The food is OUTSTANDING. Prices are very reasonable and the staff is excellent. Feels like a very sophisticated, high end restaurant but with a family touch.Special Features:
- A Gem in the CountrysidebenedettofineartsDined on 10/26/2014Bistro L' Hermitage is a totally delightful dining experience. Set on a small, 2 lane road in the woods near Occoquan, VA, this long, low building belies the ambiance inside. The motif is French Country, with rustic brick and wood walls, dark beams and soft lighting, it is the perfect special occasion rendezvous restaurant. A mention of a birthday in the comment section on OpenTable, brought a delicious, gratis creme brûlée for the celebrant! The salmon was perfect as was the streak with sweet potato au gratin. The cabernet and pinot grigio were lovely compliments to the meals. There is ample parking.The highest recommendation all around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FrenchCapGrillVIPDined on 10/25/2014Simply outstanding, there is no other way to say it. If you like French cusine this is one of the very few places in this area.Special Features:
- First rate dining experience!AlexfanVIPDined on 10/25/2014We had an incredible meal and dining experience. The staff is very attentive in a very polite, understated manner. The quality of the food is comparable to any 5-star restaurant in NY or DC. The proximity to downtown Occaquan is ideal for a post meal stroll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedFoodoVIPDined on 10/24/2014lobster bisque - unremarkable. they have a "brown" bisque (I prefer orange), didn't have any lobster meat in the bisque ( fried oysters - oysters were fine, guacamole tasted and looked prepackaged and wasn't good lamb shank - tough, lacked any noticeable seasoning, madeira sauce was fine. Ate about 10% of it and lost interest. creme brulee - very good Service was fair. Our server talked us out of the 5 course tasting menu, saying it would take 3 hours and they had a wedding in the morning. What?? I ordered tea and they brought over a wooden box with gold or silver accents and presented it to me, opened it to reveal assorted tea bags, including Costco brand. Seriously? Then I waited for hot water. Several other small misses like these.
- Romantic spotLuvtrendyspotsDined on 10/24/2014loved this place! The attention to detail in the service down to the detail of the restaurant was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gary and Laura loved itOHthefoigrasDined on 10/24/2014We tried the 5-course tasting menu with wine pairing and were very very pleased with the food and wine combinations. Notably, Brian paired the foi gras with a beautiful sauterne; perfect. Timing and service were wonderful, attentive and personable without being overwhelming. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014The food is always outstanding at this restaurant. The owner and the staff go out of their way to make sure that your experience exceptional. Can't wait for our next visit to Bistro L'Hermitage whether it is for brunch, lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- KateVIPDined on 10/18/2014Once again proving why this is one of my very favorite restaurants, Bistro L'Hermitage generously offered us a complimentary drink as we waited for our table to be set up on a very busy evening. They also offered a complimentary dessert when our entrees "were a bit slow to arrive," which we had barely noticed. Couple those excellent business practices with the fine food, atmosphere, and service and it is a hit yet again!Special Features:
- SOSMindyDined on 10/18/2014Beyond ordinary- food was terrific! Wonderfully prepared and presented. Service was fantastic. We had a table in the back and it was nice to be able to enjoy time with friends in a beautiful setting. I had the lamb shank which was probably the best I've ever had. The wine list is their only drawback- the list is not very extensive and most of the wines were expensive for what they were. That was the only disappointment, and I can certainly drink my wine at home... I would certainly go back again.Special Features:
- brunchLnluvsfoodDined on 10/18/2014We have dined at Bistro Hermitage on several occasions. This was the first time for brunch. It was very good but the chicken on the chicken reuben was a bit overdone. The french onion soup and the eggs benedict with spinach and salmon was delicious. I personally enjoy their regular lunch menu better and wish they offered that on Saturdays. Overall, we will definitely return especially for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic, excellent food!Mamabear3Dined on 10/17/2014This restaurant is a quaint, hidden treasure with amazing food! The servers are super friendly and pleasant. It's a fabulous place to bring that special someone, for a low key romantic dinner. Not for the faint of money. It's quite expensive, but worth every dime. You won't be disappointed with choosing L'Hermitage for a tasty and enjoyable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasionsjw43Dined on 10/17/2014Always a winner. It has become our go-to restaurant for special occasions.Special Features:
- French food in Woodbridge,who knew?DatenightDined on 10/17/2014My wife and I went to Bistro L Hermitage last Friday night, for our monthly date night without kids. I had the grilled calamari and the foie gras, both were wonderful. My wife had duck confit and the beef tenderloin and shrimp, both off the chart great, and the creme brulee one of the best we have ever had. We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpectedly greattreemanVIPDined on 10/14/2014We went to this restaurant for our anniversary (we didn't tell them), and we were blown away. We found it on Open Table, and way out there in Woodbridge, we had the best meal we have had in at least a year, and we dine at nice places often. I had the red snapper and it was perfectly cooked, as were the accompaniments, and they had one of the best sauces I have ever had. The crispy oysters appetizer was also out of this world, as was the fruit-filled crepe for desert. They have a very nice by the glass wine selection, but we were too far away from home to get a bottle and drive home safely. Service was outstanding, and everyone was very friendly. I recommend that everyone near and far come here to fine dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.