Bistro La Source
85 Morris Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Bistro La Source
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://bistrolasource.com/
- Phone: (201) 209-1717
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American, French
- Executive Chef: Bill Spitz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Bistro La Source
Bistro La Source is a friendly French/Belgian Bistro with a great wine list. We are located in the Paulus Hook neighborhood of Jersey City.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Bistro La Source - Best Restaurants in Jersey City ›
Bistro La Source reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (19)fit for foodies (11)great for outdoor dining (10)romantic (10)great for lunch (6)notable wine list (4)special occasion (3)good for groups (3)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great wine, great food, great serviceHeleneDined on 11/21/2014We dine here a lot. Can't beat the selection of wines. The cassoulet is one of our favorite dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Probably will not go backEmmyDined on 11/8/2014I was not very happy with my latest dining experience at Le Bistro Source. My husband and I had been there 3 times before and loved it. When I made the reservation I specifically requested a nice, quiet table since my 92 year old father and sister would be dining with us there and this would be there first time. Since the reservation was for 6PM, I did not think getting a table with a booth would be an issue. When we arrived, the restaurant was practically empty but they sat us at the worse possible table; right next to the bar, kitchen door and my chair and my father's abutted a table behind us!! It was ridiculous. The Chatham Cod that I ordered was not very good; the potatoes were cold!!! The service was not very good either.Special Features:
- Mussel Night DissapointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/27/2014This restaurant has always been a favorite of mine and I will return. On Mondays they have mussels night and it was my first time ordering the unlimited mussels. Both my guest and I were disappointed how small the mussels were. They were the size of raisins. A number of times the mussels were served not being warm. It seemed they might have been precooked and then dished out and served. The sauces were delicious and the server kept asking if we would like another serving and to try another sauce. Next time I will be ordering from the menu. I also noticed that their prices have risen for both food and drink so be aware if you are a return customer.
- Great Bistrojane70Dined on 10/14/2014The food was good and the prices moderate. The atmosphere is cozy and pleasant. Parking is on site which is a real plus. Definitely would recommend the restaurant.Special Features:
- Normandy in Paulus HookBearVIPDined on 10/3/2014We felt like we had been transported to France! The mussels were sublime. Save the airfare and splurge on a nice bottle of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little GemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/16/2014Only one complaint. There was a musty smell in there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WastingfoodisasinVIPDined on 8/4/20142nd time attempt during Hudson RW Summer. Tried cod fritters and their taste was decent, but filling. While having this first course, braised lamb shank, the second course, had come out without new fork and knife. Waited for more than 30 minutes to receive knife and fork. None of servers had been paying attention. The lamb shank was already cooled down, so the taste and seasoning had to be adjusted. After the second course, it took another 15 minutes for the restaurant to serve mousse au chocolate & rum, the third course. It was good to be seated a table inside and there was table cloth at least.
- Mussels MondayMoulesMondayDined on 8/4/2014If you love mussels, this is a great deal. Unlimited mussels and bread for about $10. Of course, you'll want to add a glass of wine or two! We been to this restaurant many times and ALWAYS have a great meal. The staff are friendly and attentive. (My only suggestion is to avoid the table by the kitchen. It's loud and chaotic in that spot.) If it's a nice evening, enjoy their outside seating!Special Features:
- Merci beaucouplegenwaitforitdaryDined on 8/3/2014Came here during Hudson Restaurant Week and it was awesome. The mussels were phenomenal as well as everything else. Couldn't ask for a better French bistro. Plus it's located in the Pualus Hook area so the neighborhood is chill. Definitely a great place for outdoor dining in the summer time. They put up candle lights outside when it gets dark. Kind of a nice romantic touch. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyableDevonehtVIPDined on 8/1/2014This was our first time here and it was Hudson restaurant week. We decided to do the wine pairing with the meal which was a very nice touch. The food was delicious and the portions were quite large. Our waitress was an absolute jem. Couldn't have asked for a more personable or knowegable server. We would definitely done here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent AgainOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/1/2014I look forward to dining here again on my next visit to Jersey City.Special Features:
- The following 147 reviews are from the Bistro La Source reviews archive.
- Ooh-la-la!WaltVIPDined on 7/29/2014Always a satisfying meal at Bistro La Source - good ingredients, wonderfully prepared and served. We go regularly, but also went during Restaurant Week, a fantastic value. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mussels galore!luv2dineDined on 7/21/20144 of went on Monday night.....3 for the $10 all you can eat mussels - I have seafood allergy so I had the short rib ravioli. We had a great time. Everyone loved the food! The mussel eaters each had 3 bowls! We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Sodium High...ReneeDined on 7/11/2014It was a beautiful summer night,so we sat outside . The waitress/server was terrific. The food portions were descent as were the menu selections. Meat dishes were salty,bronzini was good,and vegan dish was subpar. I really wanted to like this place.
- So GoodkamcDined on 6/18/2014I absolutely loved dining at Bistro La Source. I order muscles and escargot and it was one of the best meals I've ever had. The service was great and everyone I was with loved there food as well. It's also right near the water which has a really great view of the city (the park near Liberty State Park). And finally one of the most surprising thing was the free parking! After a long drive it was a great relief!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All you can eat musselsOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/16/2014Wow, Monday night all you can eat Mussels specials! I had the Thai mussels and they were amazing! It is such a great idea to offer a special like this on a Monday evening; the entire restaurant was filled with people from the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Always Great to be atAnneDined on 6/16/2014Great food, great company, great time! Took my dad there for a late father's day dinner and we had a blast. Our waitress was helpful and we love the outdoor seating.Special Features:
- pamkVIPDined on 6/15/2014We went for Father's Day. Could not be seated outside .The air conditioning wall unit mounted on the wall above us blew directly on us which became uncomfortable. Our food was excellent although our waitress did mix up some of our order. Nutella in our crepe instead of blueberries, expresso vs. coffee and the wine (by glass) seemed to be the same thing not different as ordered. She was pleasant and working hard so we didn't say anything. The reviews we read mentioned the fried chicken so we tried it and it was perfect. The short rib ravioli were excellent. The idea of not looking for parking or paying to park at a lot blocks away was wonderful. Would like to go back to sit outside for appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindfishDined on 6/14/2014We were a party of eight, celebrating my wife's birthday. Everything ordered was delicious. We would love to come back on a Monday for the mussels special. The waitstaff was attentive,helpful and very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best neighborhood valueBuzzDined on 5/25/2014An eclectic menu all well done is a friendly atmosphere
- Good french alternative in PauleusRatitouDined on 5/16/2014I had dinner there several times. Decent french fare, love my escargots. Staff will accomodate you and try to please you. Good deal prix fixe with pairing. That can be your ticket to Paris!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic and great foodJoeyJetstarDined on 5/14/2014Dinner requires a little patience as the bar is noisy from the after work crowd. The food is excellent, however and my favorite local restaurant. The French Onion Soup and mussels are both favorites!Special Features:
- Mothers Day dining experienceJerseygirlDined on 5/11/2014The woman in the grey t-shirt sat us and brought the smallest glasses from the bar for water. She seemed annoyed when we requested normal size drinking glasses and some ice. The lemons we requested were also the tiniest ever that my party and I have seen. The mussels and main courses were excellent. The salad was mediocre. On the menu it was shown to include grilled vegetables. We found potates and tiny bits of what may have been eggplant. The waitress gave good service..she even accidentally threw out a left over so she made good on it by not charging for the dinner. I would not return...the noise level was quite disturbing and we felt like we were putting them out with our requests. Nobody smiled and appeared to be glad to have us there.Special Features:
- Mother's Day Brunchkex320Dined on 5/11/2014Bistro La Source was the perfect place to go to for Mother's Day! We sat outside and enjoyed delicious food and soaked up the sun. I'm rating them 4 stars for Service because the server mixed up a couple of our orders. Other than that, great food and they have a parking lot!!Special Features:
- Great outdoor scenetad1232000VIPDined on 5/6/2014Like the feeling outside and being able to enjoy the night with friends. Good food, bit salty, but good.Special Features:
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/3/2014Since we live in JC we decided to try Bistro La Source It was crowded and tight but it was well worth it for the food The service was god but the food was fabulous would definitely revisitSpecial Features:
- Excellent AgainOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/29/2014This is my go to restaurant in Jersey City. It never disappoints and is always excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent new gemOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/22/2014We chose this restaurant based on the very good reviews online for our aunt's birthday. We were not disappointed at all. The service is really good and the food is excellent. Steack frites, mussels, mac and cheese...I loved all of the dishes we ordered. Plus they have a parking lot for clients, which is great. I definitely recommend it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French spotRickROICDined on 4/21/2014This is a little gem of a restaurant. We have been here as a couple and also with the fam damily, a group of eleven. Service has been exceptionally attentive and yet, unrushed. Last time, I enjoyed the Alsation choucroute platter, which I found to be a very authentic rendition. Most of the family had the fried chicken which was very tasty and a huge portion. Monday nights are crowded with an all you can eat special of mussels. I have had the Thai style mussels which had just the right amount of spiciness as well as a plate of more traditional mussels in white wine and garlic. So fresh and wonderfully hot! I would not hesitation to recommend this little jewel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always 5 stars!LucyVIPDined on 4/20/2014We have been here a few times -- and each visit affirms our review that this restaurant is outstanding. The food is always delicious and the service is attentive. The menu is full of great choices -- and after our selections, we always think about when we need to come back to select the items we didn't choose. This is a great choice for brunch or any meal. Highly recommended. The bonus is that they have free off-street parking!Special Features:
- Great food, good ambienceclodja1Dined on 4/19/2014Love this place for these reasons: great food especially the mussels, full bar, outdoor seating, parking, pleasant staff. nice ambience, always has great music on -- what more could a person want?Special Features:
- 6 Thumbs UpWaltVIPDined on 4/8/2014Bistrot La Source has a great regular menu, plus a fantastic price-fixed menu - something for everyone. They really excel in bringing out flavor with fresh herbs and ingredients. They also serve the best cassoulet I've had outside of France. Go, and go often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/5/2014The overall experience was exceptional. The food and service were outstanding, and the restaurant is a great place to meet up with friends.Special Features:
- Long wait for foodMikeVIPDined on 4/4/2014We come here often, almost weekly, and this time we waited for almost an hour for our main entres. They suggested desert however, never said they would comp it for our wait. I would have been happy with a free glass of wine which would have costed them nearly nothing. Food is good but if this becomes a trait, we will go across the street instead. I hope it doesn't because we like the place and the people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown Jersey City TreasurezanyDined on 3/21/2014I found this little neighborhood gem on OpenTable and was delighted with the entire experience; from the escargots to the butternut squash agnoletti with brown butter and pignoli nuts as apps to entrees of cassoulet and my companion's cod, everything was prepared to perfection, including desserts of warm apple crumble with cinammon gelato. My only criticism is the warmed & frothed milk for the coffee didn't seem to blend as it should -- it wound up looking lumpy in the cup even after much mixing...a small thing compared to the lovely meal and great service! Bistro La Source has made my personal list of places to enjoy in Jersey City!Special Features:
- Pleasantly SurprisedFine2dineVIPDined on 3/15/2014Usually heading right into Manhatten for Saturday evening dinner, we have had more than our share of disappointing fare in Jersey City. La Source was an unexpected delight. The food was prepared beautifully, the waitress attentive and we would definitely return. But, we would make later reservations because it was quite noisy.Special Features:
- Very Pleasant experiencerestaurantseekersDined on 3/8/2014Love to explore different restaurants and was very pleased to have found Bistro LaSource, Was born and raised in Jersy City and lived in the suburbs for over 30 years and still love coming back to JC.. Have tried different restaurants in the area and would def come back and recomment Bistro La Source. The menu is so varied my daughter and I had a hard time choosing with so many selections. we had the onion soup, liver pate, cod and skate for the main course and everything was fresh and prepared perfectly. We had a cocktail at the bar and the bartender was spot on with the old fashioned and wine was very good and reasonably priced. Staff was so accomadating, as well as super friendly. Would def come back to try other dishes....Special Features:
- Excellent food! The best friedOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 2/28/2014Excellent food! The best fried chicken ever! I have never been disappointed, all of the food is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An extraordinary prix fixe lunchJeffMachVIPDined on 2/17/2014Five dishes ordered, five dishes adventurous, exciting, and perfect. Extraordinary kudos to our waitress. I made a mistake in my order, and she fixed it and brought me a new plate when she definitely wasn't required to do so. Then, when I forgot my credit card, she ran out in the cold to give it to us! In a dress! This is my "go to" restaurant whenever I'm in Jersey City, and for good reason. Out of a lot of spectacular options, this is a clear winner.Special Features:
- Excellent and SurprisingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/16/2014This was my first time visiting Bistro La Source, I went there with my wife and it didn't disappoint, the service was great, the food was delicious and the portions were surprisingly big compared to other places, the only complaint I had was the place was too cold, I think this ruin a bit of the experience, overall I'll comeback with my wife and friends, I would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.