34244 Woodward Ave.
Birmingham, MI 48009Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bistrojoeskitchen.com/
- Phone: (248) 594-0984
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11am - 4pm
Monday - Wed: 4pm - 10pm
Thurs- Saturday: 4pm - 11pm
Sunday 4pm - 9pm
Sun:10am - 3pm
Mon-Sun: 3pm - 6pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Benjamin Markel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Cafe, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Bistro Joe's
Bistro Joe’s is an endeavor to create a sensational dining experience through inspired cuisine and superior service. Momentarily escape, and let your senses feast on globally influenced fare ~ with elements of surprise ~ in a casual, yet upscale eatery. Our mezzanine setting is a comfy blend of vintage and contemporary, designed to encourage shared dining experiences with friends, old and new.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Bistro Joe's - Best Restaurants in Birmingham ›
Bistro Joe's reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (28)neighborhood gem (23)notable wine list (12)great for brunch (12)great for lunch (11)scenic view (9)special occasion (8)romantic (6)great for outdoor dining (5)good for groups (5)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Fantastic Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/16/2014We loved our Sunday brunch - especially the scones with whipped cream and fig jam. Yum!! The only complaint we had was that the restaurant was too warm, otherwise, it was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fair but would like to try again.ShellDined on 11/14/2014We requested a table not on the patio based on previous reviews but we ended up getting a table on the patio and it was not that bad. It was very warm in there and it was just a different environment than the other part of the restaurant. I would like to set up in the other area because overlooks the grocery store and it's very interesting. we had the warm date appetizer which was very good. The dates are very large. We both have the monkfish which the fish itself was good but it was surrounded by a cream sauce. Cream sauce and fish just don't go together, at least for me. I would really like to try it again and definitely for brunch. A bit pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemMartyVIPDined on 11/8/2014We have dined here frequently and consistently have a wonderful meal with efficient, friendly service. The manager, Kirk, stops by to make sure we are happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just fine -- but not cheapOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/3/2014We sat on the outdoor patio because of a group party in the main restaurant. Cheap plastic chairs that all wobbled. Dinner was good but entrees beyond sandwiches were high twenties to low thirties. Had a relatively inexperienced waiter that hovered. A hundred bucks for two folks was way more than I expected...
- A good and fun experienceJMCFDined on 10/25/2014We had a very fun time at Joe's.... food was excellent and atmosphere was good, with a view of Woodward Ave. from our table... Service was very friendly but very SLOW. Also, we thought it was overpriced for the type of restaurant that it is.... That being said, we had a great time and will go back again. We recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't judge a Book by its coverBigAlVIPDined on 10/19/2014So i pull up to a Fruit Market that serves food. I wasn't expecting anything more than the hot food they serve in the Deli section of most Fancy Markets. Maybe a Good Sandwich or a Hot food bar..BOY WAS I WRONG..If you go to Bistro Joes inside of Papa Joes Market and expect Average, you could not be more Wrong. The Restaurant on the second floor with its own gourmet kitchen is now my Favorite Resturant in Detroit. The Food is the Best I have had anywhere in the Area this Year. The presentation is incredible without going overboard. The Service, Great. Andrea & Mgr Curt could not do enough. From the Shrimp, to the Pumpkin soup, which was perfect to the Lentil Burgers, I couldn't have asked for more. Bistro Joes Should be First on Your List.Special Features:
- CuriousTommygDined on 10/18/2014Heard much about Joe's and wanted to try it. I brought 2 other couples to experience the restaurant and was very pleased with the experience. Our company were non foodies and the were very pleased. The touches set this place apart. Immediate attention to get our first drink which was a manhattan served with 1 large ice cube instead of crushed ice, comfortable wine glasses. Followed up with well prepared food, flavorful and presented well. Coffee service with hot cream. A night well spentSpecial Features:
- Great spotMartyVIPDined on 10/7/2014Whatever you want to eat, this is the place. Full dinners or light meals. Service and food are topnotch.Special Features:
- OutstandingLindaDined on 10/3/2014The evening was excellent from the time drinks were ordered at the bar to the wonderful and superb dinner. Ken, our waiter, was totally outstanding and will definitely ask for him again. He made the evening a fun event and was very knowledgeable about the menu, wine, etc. My only complaint was that one of my guests left a very important folder behind and when she went back to retrieve it they had thrown it in the trash. More consideration should be given to when finding something, at least give it to the hostess or manager. My guest had a wonderful time up until that had happened.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great overall experienceRegularDinerDined on 10/1/2014The menu isn't huge, but has enough variety to satisfy anyone. I had the snapper and the others in my party had steak and lamb chops. All were excellent and came cooked perfectly. The wine list also had excellent wines at reasonable prices. It was a bonus that bottled wine was half price that night. Our server was attentive without giving us a feeling of being rushed, and gave us good recommendations. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently great!YoungFunFoodieDined on 9/30/2014Bistro Joe's is a go to in my book! The food and service is consistently great! I had the Sea Bass over black rice and it was delicious! The wait staff is present, friendly, and accommodating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, lousy serviceNikkiVIPDined on 9/21/2014Let me start off by saying that the food at our Sunday brunch was great. What was not great was the service-our waitress was awful. She failed to stop by our table to check on us after getting our drinks and never came back to take our order even though she was waiting on the table near us. My friends & I finally had to flag down another server to take our order. We asked him to find our server but he stopped what he was doing to take down our order (without a note pad!). Even after we got our food, our waitress failed to stop by to see how we were doing. It was like pulling teeth to flag her down to get a cup of coffee. If it weren't for the other server, our brunch would have been miserable. We liked him so much we tipped him 20%.Special Features:
- Good food-a few glitchesChickieBDined on 9/20/2014The soup was lukewarm and would have been better if it had been served at the right temperature. Ordered a lentil slider that was very tasty. The pacing needs to be improved. My companion was barely finished with her appetizer when the entree came and felt rushed. We noted this to the management who tried their best, and provided complimentary desserts. I would try again to give them another chance for their efforts.Special Features:
- ScrumptiousLisaWDined on 8/24/2014What other way to start a Sunday than with Omelets, Scones and Grapefruit Mimosa's! The Bloody Mary Bar is amazing, their breakfast sausage is the BEST and the Eggs Benedict with Crab Cakes was divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool & Casual Bistro StyleVegannewbieDined on 8/22/2014Our party of four each chose a different appetizer & one chose the soup of the day which was a smooth tasty cream of asparagus soup. Everyone was very pleased with their choices & we all agreed we would certainly return for their Sunday Brunch after checking out the brunch menu!Special Features:
- foodfreakVIPDined on 8/18/2014The food is interesting, imaginative and most of all delicious. It's hard to make a choice with all the menu possibilities. The burger is decadent, and of course, tasty. The nicoise salad is great, the salmon is divine. The service is competent and not at all intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Annual TraditionDiscerningArgentineDined on 8/15/2014There is no better place to dine and watch the Woodward cruise. Highly recommend the truffle fries on every visit and the potatoe leek soup is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I really want to like this place...SusanVIPDined on 8/15/2014I really want to like this place - it's in a good location, the food is tasty, the environment is unique...but each time I go the overall service and experience is disappointing. We've now given it multiple chances since opening, and by now they should have all the kinks worked out...but they don't, so we probably won't be going back anymore.
- Metro Detroit's best happy hourfoodieVIPDined on 8/15/2014$1 oysters! Who does that? Absolutely fresh. Tuna tacos, Mac and cheese, Flat bread pizza...all delicious. Not to be missed!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect view of CruiseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014We had made reservations for the Thursday of Dream Cruise week and we were able to get a window seat, with a great view! We had appetizers, dinner and desert and all of it was great! Would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as usualBrunchersVIPDined on 8/10/2014We dine at Bistro Joe's quite often. On Sunday, August 10th it was not quite up to snuff. My mimosa was warm, as was my water. I ordered Croque Madame...there was barely any sauce or cheese on it. The egg was WAY undercooked...the white part was just slimy. My husband had the mushroom omelette and that was overcooked. May have been a different chef that day, but the food was no where near as good as it usually is.Special Features:
- RcadsDined on 8/4/2014We come here often for dinner great food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but...FooDeeeeeDined on 8/2/2014Good experience, but by 10 p.m. on a Saturday night we were the only people in the restaurant and all the wait staff were looking at us to leave as though we were there way past opening time. Our waitress told us the dessert menu, we said we needed a minute to think about it, and a moment later she brought us the bill, so we took the hint. Not a good sign for the restaurant's staying power. Disappointed that the night ended that way, so we took our business to another restaurant that was willing to serve us for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Happy HourboboVIPDined on 8/2/2014We had some shopping to do at Papa Joe's, so decided to eat at Bistro Joe's before. It was still happy hour when we arrived. Decided to take advantage of this & ordered off the special menu. Great food, great drinks, great prices.....we'll be back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 58 reviews are from the Bistro Joe's reviews archive.
- Great food, but....Randizzle64VIPDined on 7/23/2014I took my daughter out for dinner, and we decided to focus on appetizers. We had a seafood course of the scallops, and the crab/passion fruit tacos, both of which were great. Our second "course" consisted of the Black Angus sliders, and the steak tartare. Again, both excellent, The problems began while waiting for our third course, a fish entree which was a special of the night. They ran out, but could not tell us that until it was too late because of the way they now track their orders. They were also out of our second choice. We ended up with the shrimp and grits, which were good. They picked up that dish as well as dessert, and worked to make the situation better. I will definitely go back, but hope they fix things.Special Features:
- New head chef?RaviVIPDined on 7/6/2014I believe that Bistro Joe's has a new head chef. They're serving the same menu as always, but there may be a bit of meddling going on. While the tuna takushi and mushroom flatbread appeared largely as usual (though the flatbread didn't seem quite as rich or flavorful), there's a sea bass dish with forbidden rice I've always been fond of to which large chunks of button mushroom and strips of fried wonton seem to have been added. The wonton is no biggie, but the mushrooms are a big, unfortunate step back. Here's hoping this isn't the beginning of decline.
- Not what we expected…..pdvbDined on 7/4/2014The food was good, however; sitting above a deli/grocery isn't what we expected. And as we were leaving we noticed that we could have had a table with a view, rather than sitting in back by the bar, kitchen, and grocery store. We had a reservation; why didn't they give us a better table? Given the expensive menu, we expected much better ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentMaryVIPDined on 6/21/2014Ordered fish special, sea bass. Sent back twice, was very overlooked and dry. Service was good but noise level was too much for a conversation. Very overpriced! Will not be back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/10/2014we celebrated my sister's birthday and enjoyed the variety of dishes on the menu. we had a delightful experience with matt ... and we enjoyed our first experience at the bistro. we all came from various parts of the city so do not expect to return in the near future. thanks for everything.Special Features:
- Excellent Food QualityCDIIVIPDined on 6/8/2014We were seated inside the restaurant which very nice, quiet and comfortable. The food selection was unique, wished we could have tried it all. I ordered the Amish chicken with fingerling potatoes - amazing flavor and cooked perfectly. The prices were a bit high compared to restaurants of comparable quality and ambience. Overall a nice choice for an evening dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first experienceccbvsyVIPDined on 5/27/2014Tried three appetizers( 1. seared foie gras 2. beet candied ginger 3. tacushi) and would recommend and order all three again. The spinach bleu salad was a real treat(especially if you like pork belly) and will definitely order that again. My wife had the duck, duck, goose and I had the black grouper pumpkin. Both were repeats. We will be going back soon and take some friends.Special Features:
- bradDined on 5/17/2014I have eaten here on many occasions and this has become my wife's and mine favorite place! This time around the food was a bit salty and my meal was not prepared as asked...this said, the manger jumped in without asking and got a whole new meal right away and a round of drinks and desert on them! That is a sign of a great place. I hesitate to right this review as I do not want this place to become a hot spot.Special Features:
- too hot upstairsGrazieVIPDined on 5/16/2014Our service was very slow with drinks coming long after we ordered. The food was just OK but they need to get some cooling upstairs.
- Great food, bad luck with servicefundineVIPDined on 5/15/2014The food was outstanding, everything our group ordered (two apps, three entrees) we enjoyed. The service was incredibly slow and inept. To be fair I think we just had bad luck with a new waiter, and the manager did come by to apologize and comped our second round of drinks. I'll come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Mothers DaykwackbarsDined on 5/11/2014My mother, girlfriend and I went recently on Mothers Day for our first time. The food, atmosphere, and service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shift Change on Monther's DayKz44tzVIPDined on 5/11/2014We had mother's day dinner on Sunday our reservations were at 4. This was also the time the kitchen changed over from the Mother's Day brunch. The kitchen was not ready to handle the guests for dinner. It took well over 20 minutes to get our chesse plate and another 45 minutes to get our dinners. Keep in mind that our dinners were pizza, sliders and salmon - nothing that required so much time. Our water glasses were empty and had to be requested several times to be refilled. It was over 80 degrees the windows open it was unpleasant with all the heat. This was our 4th time for dinner and the worst of all our experiences. The manager did comp us a round of drinks but spending almost 2 hours for a simple meal is not acceptable.Special Features:
- Mother's Day @ Bistro Joe'sdiner1Dined on 5/11/2014Most of our dishes were something special, the greek omelette was not, it was devoid of any chorizo. We had reservations and had requested to be in the bright area out front, but ended up at a group table by the kitchen and bathrooms, but they tried hard to get everyone seated quickly. We have been several other times and the menu has some classics done well and some creativity. Wine list is limited, which is odd since the surrounding store specializes in wine...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best BrunchfoodjunkieDined on 5/11/2014Took my Mom to Bistro Joe's for Mother's Day brunch and it was simply OUTSTANDING! The ultimate French Toast is to die for... served with vanilla bean ice cream! We will be going back since it's the best brunch we've found in a long, long time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent service and foodMadamBarflyDined on 5/11/2014Our server was Nicole, she was fantastic. Crepes we're delicious and the bloody mary wasnt weak or bland. Sat on the patio next to the window over looking the lot. Took my mother there for Mothers Day and food came out fast and hot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No shock that quality came firstRandizzle64VIPDined on 5/9/2014If you shop at Papa Joe's, and particularly at their prepared food counter, then you will find no surprises when it comes to dining at Bistro Joe's. The big difference is having great dishes prepared for you when you order them. The restaurant also has a wider selection of gourmet dishes, including an excellent take on steak tartare. My daughter thoroughly enjoyed her salmon, while I went with the kobe style flank steak. In short (because I hate typing long reviews) I will definitely go back.Special Features: