34244 Woodward Ave.
Birmingham, MI 48009Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bistrojoeskitchen.com/
- Phone: 2485940984x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11am - 4pm
Monday - Wed: 4pm - 10pm
Thurs- Saturday: 4pm - 11pm
Sunday 4pm - 9pm
Sun:10am - 3pm
Mon-Sun: 3pm - 6pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Benjamin Markel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Cafe, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Bistro Joe's
Bistro Joe’s is an endeavor to create a sensational dining experience through inspired cuisine and superior service. Momentarily escape, and let your senses feast on globally influenced fare ~ with elements of surprise ~ in a casual, yet upscale eatery. Our mezzanine setting is a comfy blend of vintage and contemporary, designed to encourage shared dining experiences with friends, old and new.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Bistro Joe's - Best Restaurants in Birmingham ›
Bistro Joe's reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (24)neighborhood gem (16)great for lunch (11)great for brunch (9)great for outdoor dining (9)special occasion (9)notable wine list (8)scenic view (7)romantic (7)kid-friendly (5)good for groups (4)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- ScrumptiousLisaWDined on 8/24/2014What other way to start a Sunday than with Omelets, Scones and Grapefruit Mimosa's! The Bloody Mary Bar is amazing, their breakfast sausage is the BEST and the Eggs Benedict with Crab Cakes was divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool & Casual Bistro StyleVegannewbieDined on 8/22/2014Our party of four each chose a different appetizer & one chose the soup of the day which was a smooth tasty cream of asparagus soup. Everyone was very pleased with their choices & we all agreed we would certainly return for their Sunday Brunch after checking out the brunch menu!Special Features:
- foodfreakVIPDined on 8/18/2014The food is interesting, imaginative and most of all delicious. It's hard to make a choice with all the menu possibilities. The burger is decadent, and of course, tasty. The nicoise salad is great, the salmon is divine. The service is competent and not at all intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Annual TraditionDiscerningArgentineDined on 8/15/2014There is no better place to dine and watch the Woodward cruise. Highly recommend the truffle fries on every visit and the potatoe leek soup is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I really want to like this place...SusanVIPDined on 8/15/2014I really want to like this place - it's in a good location, the food is tasty, the environment is unique...but each time I go the overall service and experience is disappointing. We've now given it multiple chances since opening, and by now they should have all the kinks worked out...but they don't, so we probably won't be going back anymore.
- Metro Detroit's best happy hourfoodieVIPDined on 8/15/2014$1 oysters! Who does that? Absolutely fresh. Tuna tacos, Mac and cheese, Flat bread pizza...all delicious. Not to be missed!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect view of CruiseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014We had made reservations for the Thursday of Dream Cruise week and we were able to get a window seat, with a great view! We had appetizers, dinner and desert and all of it was great! Would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as usualBrunchersVIPDined on 8/10/2014We dine at Bistro Joe's quite often. On Sunday, August 10th it was not quite up to snuff. My mimosa was warm, as was my water. I ordered Croque Madame...there was barely any sauce or cheese on it. The egg was WAY undercooked...the white part was just slimy. My husband had the mushroom omelette and that was overcooked. May have been a different chef that day, but the food was no where near as good as it usually is.Special Features:
- RcadsDined on 8/4/2014We come here often for dinner great food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but...FooDeeeeeDined on 8/2/2014Good experience, but by 10 p.m. on a Saturday night we were the only people in the restaurant and all the wait staff were looking at us to leave as though we were there way past opening time. Our waitress told us the dessert menu, we said we needed a minute to think about it, and a moment later she brought us the bill, so we took the hint. Not a good sign for the restaurant's staying power. Disappointed that the night ended that way, so we took our business to another restaurant that was willing to serve us for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Happy HourboboVIPDined on 8/2/2014We had some shopping to do at Papa Joe's, so decided to eat at Bistro Joe's before. It was still happy hour when we arrived. Decided to take advantage of this & ordered off the special menu. Great food, great drinks, great prices.....we'll be back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but....Randizzle64VIPDined on 7/23/2014I took my daughter out for dinner, and we decided to focus on appetizers. We had a seafood course of the scallops, and the crab/passion fruit tacos, both of which were great. Our second "course" consisted of the Black Angus sliders, and the steak tartare. Again, both excellent, The problems began while waiting for our third course, a fish entree which was a special of the night. They ran out, but could not tell us that until it was too late because of the way they now track their orders. They were also out of our second choice. We ended up with the shrimp and grits, which were good. They picked up that dish as well as dessert, and worked to make the situation better. I will definitely go back, but hope they fix things.Special Features:
- New head chef?RaviVIPDined on 7/6/2014I believe that Bistro Joe's has a new head chef. They're serving the same menu as always, but there may be a bit of meddling going on. While the tuna takushi and mushroom flatbread appeared largely as usual (though the flatbread didn't seem quite as rich or flavorful), there's a sea bass dish with forbidden rice I've always been fond of to which large chunks of button mushroom and strips of fried wonton seem to have been added. The wonton is no biggie, but the mushrooms are a big, unfortunate step back. Here's hoping this isn't the beginning of decline.
- Not what we expected…..pdvbDined on 7/4/2014The food was good, however; sitting above a deli/grocery isn't what we expected. And as we were leaving we noticed that we could have had a table with a view, rather than sitting in back by the bar, kitchen, and grocery store. We had a reservation; why didn't they give us a better table? Given the expensive menu, we expected much better ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentMaryVIPDined on 6/21/2014Ordered fish special, sea bass. Sent back twice, was very overlooked and dry. Service was good but noise level was too much for a conversation. Very overpriced! Will not be back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/10/2014we celebrated my sister's birthday and enjoyed the variety of dishes on the menu. we had a delightful experience with matt ... and we enjoyed our first experience at the bistro. we all came from various parts of the city so do not expect to return in the near future. thanks for everything.Special Features:
- Excellent Food QualityCDIIVIPDined on 6/8/2014We were seated inside the restaurant which very nice, quiet and comfortable. The food selection was unique, wished we could have tried it all. I ordered the Amish chicken with fingerling potatoes - amazing flavor and cooked perfectly. The prices were a bit high compared to restaurants of comparable quality and ambience. Overall a nice choice for an evening dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first experienceccbvsyVIPDined on 5/27/2014Tried three appetizers( 1. seared foie gras 2. beet candied ginger 3. tacushi) and would recommend and order all three again. The spinach bleu salad was a real treat(especially if you like pork belly) and will definitely order that again. My wife had the duck, duck, goose and I had the black grouper pumpkin. Both were repeats. We will be going back soon and take some friends.Special Features:
- bradDined on 5/17/2014I have eaten here on many occasions and this has become my wife's and mine favorite place! This time around the food was a bit salty and my meal was not prepared as asked...this said, the manger jumped in without asking and got a whole new meal right away and a round of drinks and desert on them! That is a sign of a great place. I hesitate to right this review as I do not want this place to become a hot spot.Special Features:
- The following 50 reviews are from the Bistro Joe's reviews archive.
- too hot upstairsGrazieVIPDined on 5/16/2014Our service was very slow with drinks coming long after we ordered. The food was just OK but they need to get some cooling upstairs.
- Great food, bad luck with servicefundineVIPDined on 5/15/2014The food was outstanding, everything our group ordered (two apps, three entrees) we enjoyed. The service was incredibly slow and inept. To be fair I think we just had bad luck with a new waiter, and the manager did come by to apologize and comped our second round of drinks. I'll come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Mothers DaykwackbarsDined on 5/11/2014My mother, girlfriend and I went recently on Mothers Day for our first time. The food, atmosphere, and service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shift Change on Monther's DayKz44tzVIPDined on 5/11/2014We had mother's day dinner on Sunday our reservations were at 4. This was also the time the kitchen changed over from the Mother's Day brunch. The kitchen was not ready to handle the guests for dinner. It took well over 20 minutes to get our chesse plate and another 45 minutes to get our dinners. Keep in mind that our dinners were pizza, sliders and salmon - nothing that required so much time. Our water glasses were empty and had to be requested several times to be refilled. It was over 80 degrees the windows open it was unpleasant with all the heat. This was our 4th time for dinner and the worst of all our experiences. The manager did comp us a round of drinks but spending almost 2 hours for a simple meal is not acceptable.Special Features:
- Mother's Day @ Bistro Joe'sdiner1Dined on 5/11/2014Most of our dishes were something special, the greek omelette was not, it was devoid of any chorizo. We had reservations and had requested to be in the bright area out front, but ended up at a group table by the kitchen and bathrooms, but they tried hard to get everyone seated quickly. We have been several other times and the menu has some classics done well and some creativity. Wine list is limited, which is odd since the surrounding store specializes in wine...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best BrunchfoodjunkieDined on 5/11/2014Took my Mom to Bistro Joe's for Mother's Day brunch and it was simply OUTSTANDING! The ultimate French Toast is to die for... served with vanilla bean ice cream! We will be going back since it's the best brunch we've found in a long, long time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent service and foodMadamBarflyDined on 5/11/2014Our server was Nicole, she was fantastic. Crepes we're delicious and the bloody mary wasnt weak or bland. Sat on the patio next to the window over looking the lot. Took my mother there for Mothers Day and food came out fast and hot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No shock that quality came firstRandizzle64VIPDined on 5/9/2014If you shop at Papa Joe's, and particularly at their prepared food counter, then you will find no surprises when it comes to dining at Bistro Joe's. The big difference is having great dishes prepared for you when you order them. The restaurant also has a wider selection of gourmet dishes, including an excellent take on steak tartare. My daughter thoroughly enjoyed her salmon, while I went with the kobe style flank steak. In short (because I hate typing long reviews) I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Once good now fairmyappetiteDined on 5/4/2014This is my 4th visit to Bistro Joes. The first visit was excellent. Since then the experience has not been as good. The brunch food(except the eggs) were warmed over potatoes. My silverware was dirty and the service slow. The waiter however was fantastic. In fact every visit the wait staff was phenomenal. The kitchen needs help in getting quality fresh food out faster. I think the brunch experience have not been good. I will try them again for lunch. If there is no improvement, I will not visit again.Special Features:
- I would go back for lunch or dinnerBurlpersonVIPDined on 4/27/2014Brunch was tasty. I am interested in their other offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad ExperienceGeneDined on 4/25/2014Poor Value! Temperature control bad---constantly cycling from too warm to too cool. Chairs uncomfortable. Wine expensive. Food overpriced. Waiter overburdened.
- The Incompetence of Open Table.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/18/2014Since you informed me that I had not honored my reservation at Papa Joe's Bistro when in fact I had, I will forgo any further contact with you. Life is difficult enough without having to deal with incompetent buffoons!
- Poor service and interactionfoodieMIVIPDined on 4/12/2014We made 10:30am reservations and upon arrival were told that the kitchen doens't open until 11am. On top of that we were expecting a brunch menu as indicated on the website but were told brunch is only on Sunday, not Saturdays. We were not compensated for it. The service was slow. No one ever came to check on us. Drinks took a long time. The waitress was disengaged.
- OutstandingBrunchersVIPDined on 4/11/2014Not only is the food fantastic but the wait staff is very educated on wine/food pairings...down to the finest detail. Very impressive.Special Features:
- great dinner. good staff.janeVIPDined on 3/29/2014great dinner. good staff. very helpful. will definitely go backSpecial Features:
- Excellent restaurant!! OneRichVIPDined on 3/15/2014Excellent restaurant!! One of the best in the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchGrazieVIPDined on 3/9/2014Attended brunch on Sunday. My healthy egg white omelet was swimming in oil, I could hardly eat it. I received one piece of bland toast. The coffee was terrific
- Our new favorite dining spotOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/8/2014Great restaurant with great atmosphere. It's great food in a relaxed environment--not stuffy at all. You have the try the flaming tomahawk! The steak was perfectly cooked and the side dishes were amazing. The short ribs were phenomenal as well. The service was excellent too. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- fresh delicious fareOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/22/2014been here several times and always love the drinks (though strong) and the food All the cocktails are delicious and they wine list is very strong. Food wise, the salads and apps are delcious...I love the macaroni and cheese which has a bit of saffron. The halibut and ratatouille sliders are great. I think all the fish dishes are wonderful. Haven't tried anything yet I haven't liked.Special Features:
- Incredible casual diningIamthehealerDined on 2/15/2014Casual fine dining at it's best. Can't say the soup course was exciting, but it was presented beautifully as is everything else. The sliders, mussels, Brussels sprouts, green beans— all better than average. It's small, but lacks intimacy which is fine… you go here for a great meal. Romance is optional. It's high paced + energetic. Very vegetarian friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Not Great This TimeJohnDined on 2/15/2014My wife and I have eaten here several times and it is one of our favorite newer places. The food is great, can be somewhat inventive and the service is always really good too. Not sure if they were just busy, had too many new people working, new chef? Our waiter was a nice guy and fairly knowledgable but went missing for long stretches. We ordered some specials which were generally really good. The crab wonton special was good but the lobster gratin was amazing. I ordered a surf and turf with the sea bass and a 4 oz strip. The sea bass was wonderful and the steak (have had great steaks here before) was seared crispy on the outside and bright red on the inside. The red part was ok but I'm not a big fan of the char on the outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.