Bistro Garden at Coldwater
12950 Ventura Blvd.
Studio City, CA 91604Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $31 to $50
Bistro Garden at Coldwater
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bistrogarden.com/
- Phone: 8185010202x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm; Sunday Brunch 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, French American, French
- Executive Chef: Gustavo Gonzalez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full on and off-site catering available
- Private Party Facilities: The Fireside Room with its 19th Century Scottish Marble Mantle, Crystal Chandeliers, Private Bar and Baby Grand, seats 60 with a dance floor, 80 without. Standing room allows for 120 guests. This room opens up to the main dining room for events up to 300. This is an ideal spot for private parties, weddings, bar/bat mitzvahs and corporate events.
- Private Party Contact: Gregory S. Pappas 8185010202x
- Entertainment: Live Piano in the bar 7 nights a week starting at 6 pm
A word from Bistro Garden at Coldwater
Descibed by Zagat as a "classic garden-like setting,The Bistro Garden is modeled after a European Wintergarden with 30 foot ceiling, glass latticework and expansive skylights. Piano entertains nightly in the bar area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Bistro Garden at Coldwater - Best Restaurants in Studio City ›
Bistro Garden at Coldwater reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (37)romantic (30)great for lunch (27)great for brunch (24)neighborhood gem (23)fit for foodies (16)good for groups (15)notable wine list (10)vibrant bar scene (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- What happened to this place?deepsixDined on 8/31/2014Bistros Gardens had been a favorite spot up to 2013. This time the service was bad. The lobster bisque, a favorite, was so salty as to be inedible. The pasta sauce tasted like tomato paste, and the tuna tartar tasted like it had been mixed with ketchup. The place is still pretty and was quiet (maybe because so few people were there).
- Delicious!SherylVIPDined on 8/24/2014The food and service are outstanding here. I would have given them 5 stars for ambiance if the piano music wasn't so LOUD! We were trying to visit together but at times couldn't hear one another. I don't know why they even have it since it interferes with the dining experience. Do they think there are actually people who DON'T want to visit with friends when they dine??? If they can omit the music it would be divine.Special Features:
- Nice Meal & Nice PlacejrobinsonVIPDined on 8/16/2014We had never been to this restaurant but we decided to try it. We had an excellent meal and the room was very pretty, airy and well decorated. My wife had the scampi (great) and I had the shrimp & lobster ravioli. terrific. A bit expensive but we would go back. Service was great too.Special Features:
- The BestjjschaumDined on 8/14/2014My favorite restaurant in the "valley". I live in Washington, DC but own a townhouse in Santa Barbara. Since I grew up in Los Angeles, I like to see many friends and family....but they live far and wide. We often meet at Bistro Garden and we are always pleased with the food, the service and the lovely surroundings. I hope to be visiting this wonderful restaurant for many more years. You never disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Bistro Garden never disappointsNtinoVIPDined on 8/13/2014As always, the Bistro Garden was fantastic! We went for our sons's last dinner out before leaving for college and we all tremendously enjoyed our meals. The Bistro Gsrden is definitely a keeper!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than ever.ARoseVIPDined on 8/9/2014We were pleasantly surprised by the dinner dining experience. Have enjoyed lunches here but we had not had dinner at the BG in years. Ambiance of the garden is beautiful. Service is professional and attentive.The assorted breads were fabulous, served with a liver pâté as well as butter.Salads were impeccable. We all had the whitefish. Excellent classic preparation.(we added capers) Presentation of vegetables with the fish was not only delicious, but very attractive. Lemon and chocolate soufflés are French perfection...Cooked all the way thru as they should be. Loved the piano bar. Mixed crowd, which we liked. We appreciated the attention to detail, a refreshing change from the trendier restaurants in town.Special Features:
- They may have been short staffed!aspecialdinnerDined on 8/3/2014Although we usually really enjoy this restaurant... They had a party, a large table of 15 or so, and it was busy Our waiter was very pleasant, but not very attentive once the restaurant got busy. Although my veal chop, a special, was delicious, it was very fatty. When I told the wait staff, they told the chef - who said "sorry". That's it - sorry - for my $48 fatty veal chop. Then they forgot the chocolate soufflé we had ordered when we first ordered our meal. But they did bring one out with our bill, but did comp the soufflé.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodBuffyDined on 7/24/2014I have been going there for a number of years and enjoy it for both business and fun meals.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedNickiDined on 7/21/2014I expected a lot from this restaurant, given its prices and fancy menu. The salad had some wilted lettuce in it. The filet was tough. The chocolate souffle did not taste like chocolate. The only nice things were the attentive wait staff and the fact that they had liver pate along with the pre-dinner bread and butter. It did have nice decor and a lovely pianist.
- Consistently goodRichardVIPDined on 7/21/2014Bistro Garden has consistently good, food, service and ambiance.Special Features:
- We had a lovely timeDavidDined on 7/17/2014I had not been to the Bistro Garden in several years and was unsure if it would still live up to my expectations. I had no cause for concern, as the quality of its food and service remained excellent. We had early reservations, so the place was almost empty and very quiet, except for the pleasant melodies coming from the piano in the bar. My guest and I ordered three appetizers, which we mentioned that we would be sharing. They were brought to the table already divided into separate plates. The main course was perfect, delivered very hot and not too soon as to overlap the first course. The chocolate soufflé was sublime. My only regret was that we did not order two of them. The service was very professional, which is rear these daysSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great eveningNtinoVIPDined on 7/12/2014Once again, the Bistro Garden did not disappoint! I have had many, many meals there, but NEVER a bad one! Just a joy to have dinner there.Special Features:
- Ended Greatbilly44byDined on 7/11/2014I have been eating here for 20+years. With that said my recent outing was a major disappointment We ordered 2 crab cake & 1 tuna tartar both appetizers were perfect couldn't ask for any better anywhere. we all ordered the fish of the day & all 3 orders were over cooked to the point that you couldn't eat them & all went back. It looked like they had been cooked & sat on a warming table to dry out. We then ordered white fish which was excellent however the wild rice was dry & tasteless & the vegetables were over cooked & looked like they to had been sitting under a hot lamp. Now the service as usual was superb & I will be back there again; after all in the end this is a great place & 1 bad meal in over 20 years is a great bating averageSpecial Features:
- Birthday BrunchdelighteddinerDined on 7/6/2014The Bistro Gardens was an elegant place to celebrate a special birthday brunch. We were able to have a toast with the mimosas that part of the brunch and the staff was right on top of all of our needs, especially with 3 small children who enjoyed watching the piano player. It has a lovely daytime garden ambiance and at nighttime all the inside trees twinkle with lights.Special Features:
- Old School Classic DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/28/2014Bistro Gardens is an elegant and classy place to enjoy a delicious meal. Very professional wait staff, beautiful and very open main dining area. Live music (piano) greatly enhanced the overall experience. Generally expect an older crowd. Not a very large menu but very diverse with something for almost everyone.Special Features:
- Expensive, but worth it!GrandpaJimmyDined on 6/16/2014This is a true find in the San Fernando Valley. It's been there for years, and never disappoints. The service, food and presentation are impeccable. I had the Pork Chop. It was huge, and the meal as a whole was very filling. The gravy was delicate and delicious, and along with the outstanding, smooth mashed potatoes, just enhanced the entire plate. Our waiter was pleasant, just the perfect amount of funny, and his recommendations were absolutely on the mark. No negatives at all. We had gift certificates, but I will be back, even at the price point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a charmerz1466Dined on 6/6/2014This restaurant has been around a long time and it's still a delightful experience. The service was exceptional as well as the food. The tables are well spaced so you can have a private conversation and the ambiance is beautiful.Special Features:
- TopazDined on 6/5/2014The valet attendant must be commended for his honesty, that one seldom finds. While paying him, I had dropped $ 100.oo dollars. When I came out of the restaurant, he returned the money back to me. This restaurant deserves another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lake Superior WhitefishItalianfoodloverVIPDined on 5/19/2014The whitefish was dry and borderline not fresh but the french onion soup was very good! Beautiful atmosphere for an older crowd. Very quiet on the day we were there.
- For every occasion !OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/18/2014Great entertainment, specially Saturdays night and Sunday brunch with Pianist Richard...Amazing! Nice ambience, great food and super service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambianceSteaklover19VIPDined on 5/17/2014I still love dining here after all of these years. Beautiful restaurant where you can actually hear the person you are dining with. We had great service and one of the best prime steaks I've eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceSlainteDined on 5/14/2014We had a lovely evening here, but we waited 10 to 15 minutes for a menu. We got it then only because we managed to catch the eye of a passing waiter (not our waiter). This is the second time (over quite a lengthy period) that this has happened to us at tis restaurant. The restaurant was only about 20-25% full at this time. If we had have had time, we would have mentioned this to the manager.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful mothers day brunchswheelzDined on 5/11/2014This was the perfect spot to take my mother for brunch. Great ambiance, food and service.Special Features:
- Bistro GardensfabrandtDined on 5/11/2014Food and service are always excellent if not a bit pricey....always feels like I'm dining somewhere in France. Relaxed yet special.Special Features:
- The following 340 reviews are from the Bistro Garden at Coldwater reviews archive.
- I had a bad meal there for lunch.squirrelVIPDined on 4/29/2014Service is always good, however, this day the food was especially poor. I've been there many times before and always love the food and ambiance there. However, on this particular day, the whitefish has tons of sauce and breading, and saturated in oil. I've ordered it many times before, and it was never prepared that way. They did take it back, but the next time the fish was dripping in water and raw! They were not very nice and I had to point this out to them as I couldn't eat it.Special Features:
- Elegant diningDrDiningDined on 4/21/2014in the foyer of a staid mansion on Ventura Blvd. The food was very well prepared from the cucumber salad to the beautifully broiled lamb chops and the divine chicken in a capellini marinara. Martinis were dry and shaken! Pricey but very worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SlowOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/29/2014The restaurant is nice, the servers are slow and needed prodding. The food was good but not special.
- Needs a little rehabMalibutterDined on 3/29/2014This place is full of potential, but while the atmosphere is open and inviting, it feels a little long in the tooth and in need of a tune up. Chips in the porcelain and some dinginess in the decor come to mind. Correspondingly, the menu and food preparation, while perfectly elegant for the 70's, hasn't caught up with our more modern pallets. My wife's risotto with short ribs special was drenched in butter, and was needlessly heavy. My lamb chops, while cooked and seasoned well, were slathered with a sort of gravy that felt superfluous. The chocolate soufflé with hand whipped cream, however, was as good as any we've had. On another positive note, the service and staff were friendly, inobtrusive, and operated like a well-oiled machine.Special Features:
- Very nice upscale restaurantIzzyVIPDined on 3/25/2014Food, and service was really great, which should be expected for the amount of $ you are going to leave at this restaurant. Very enjoyable indeed.Special Features:
- Good food/not a great valueJeffLfromTODined on 3/22/2014Good food/not a great value either quantity or quality-wise. I was curious about this restaurant. Now that I've been there, I likely will not return. However, your results may vary....
- A Classic GemPebblesVVIPDined on 3/16/2014It's nice to know that classic restaurants like Bistro Garden still exist (they are few and far between nowadays) and still thrive. This restaurant has it all - ambience, great food and great service. Definitely fit for a special occasion. The interior is absolutely gorgeous - it looks like you are in a Tuscan-themed outdoor garden patio but you are indoors. Restaurants with fabulous food like this often tend to have too trendy or spartan an atmosphere - kudos to Bistro Garden for keeping it classic and rich and gorgeous. Service is also tops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedRossVIPDined on 3/15/2014We love Bistro Garden, but on this occasion I was disappointed with the rack of lamb. I had discussed with the waiter as to how I wanted it done. I said that I wanted it pink and juicy. He recommended medium. I thought what would be over done, so he said medium rare. I said OK, but wanted to be sure that it was not grey all through. He said it wouldn't be. When it came it was grey all the way through and not juicy. He took it back and brought a substitute order. It was even more done and even less juicy. The third version was almost raw, purple, but juicy. We had waited for some time and I didn't want to wait any longer so I accepted it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- walking back the 1972TvchefVIPDined on 3/12/2014if your kids want to know how a food and restaurant worked in the 70's.... Bingo have dinner at BG..... I must say everything was fine the service and food why not they had the same staff and menu for over 40 yrs ..... sorry but just keeping it real ....Retire and sell the restaurant .... move to Boca ... thanks from Chris year 2014
- Dinner with a very special lady...saludDined on 3/1/2014The food and service were great! As we walked in we felt we went back in time to a classy restaurant. The main dining area was grand and cruise-ship ballroom like. The staff was very welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/22/2014We like this restaurant very much. It is sentimental for us. The food was quite good, as usual. However, the service was quite slow and we had to ask more than once to bring items to us that were missing from our order. The waiter joked that service was slow due to the fact that the chef was on a break. He seemed to think that was funny. We did not.Special Features:
- A bit old hatdrcriticDined on 2/15/2014The food was pretty good, although a bit unimaginative. The service was very good up till the time to get the check and pay. It took as long as the dinner, reminding me of a restaurant in France where we actually had to appear to be walking out the door before we got our bill. The ambience was good, but the crowd was definitely older. At 74, we may have been in the younger half. It's probably more a reflection of our taste, but we were a bit disappointed and are unlikely to repeat.Special Features:
- V-Day excursionCapitanVidalDined on 2/14/2014I had been wanting to try this location but had been waiting for the right opportunity, and Valentines they offered a great pre set menu. The food was served in perfect servings, not too large or too small, and was delicious. The locations decoration is light but bright with a few added strings of lights, nothing gaudy, set with a live pianist to give a great atmosphere. The service was really my only complaint, as it was a bit slow and there was quite a confusion, but this could have been just due to the "holiday". Overall I would recommend without a doubt and would like to try again on a less busy night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a celebration!SandieDined on 2/14/2014We love the Bistro Garden anytime, though they do particularly good "event" celebrations too. And when the restaurant is jammed, as it was on Valentine's Day, they get xtra credit for service and the food was quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Service, ExpensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014Ambiance and food was good.But service was really bad, and careless.We went for valentines day, and the waiter forced us to decide for dessert at the beggining of dinner, because things will be easier for them.He was pretty careless overall.At the end when we got the check, they charged dessert and coffee seperatly. I gave them back, because it's fix menu, the entire dinner for Valentine s Day is 85$ announced on their website aswell. Then they said "oh we pushed the other button by mistake".This is pretty unnacceptable, because that night, everyone is eating the same thing there is only one fixed menu. On top of that, it was a very very expensive for the entire experience.I reccomend you to go and try chocolate souffle once, and stay away.Special Features:
- 5-star food, subpar serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014Unfortunately the service here falls short of the 5 stars the place otherwise deserves. I was here for a Valentine's Day dinner - the food was great but the following took place: we were told we have to order all three parts of the special V-Day menu (appetizer, entree, dessert) together. We had only settled on the appetizers only and instead of give us extra time, the waiter rushed and pressured us. I ordered beef ravioli and when the meal came, another server started putting parmesan cheese on my meal, only half of it was going in the plate, the other half on the table and my lap. The waiter spilled my drink upon serving it, and then didn't bother checking on us all night. If you dont care about good service, go. Otherwise, skip.Special Features: