Bistro Garden at Coldwater
12950 Ventura Blvd.
Studio City, CA 91604Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $31 to $50
Bistro Garden at Coldwater
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bistrogarden.com/
- Phone: (818) 501-0202
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm; Sunday Brunch 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, French American, French
- Executive Chef: Gustavo Gonzalez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full on and off-site catering available
- Private Party Facilities: The Fireside Room with its 19th Century Scottish Marble Mantle, Crystal Chandeliers, Private Bar and Baby Grand, seats 60 with a dance floor, 80 without. Standing room allows for 120 guests. This room opens up to the main dining room for events up to 300. This is an ideal spot for private parties, weddings, bar/bat mitzvahs and corporate events.
- Private Party Contact: Gregory S. Pappas 8185010202x
- Entertainment: Live Piano in the bar 7 nights a week starting at 6 pm
A word from Bistro Garden at Coldwater
Descibed by Zagat as a "classic garden-like setting,The Bistro Garden is modeled after a European Wintergarden with 30 foot ceiling, glass latticework and expansive skylights. Piano entertains nightly in the bar area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Bistro Garden at Coldwater - Best Restaurants in Studio City ›
Bistro Garden at Coldwater reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (28)romantic (22)neighborhood gem (22)great for lunch (20)fit for foodies (14)great for brunch (13)good for groups (12)notable wine list (9)scenic view (2)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- great place for business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/17/2014Lunch with friends or business associates. Pleasant; not noisy; upscale crowd. Food very good. Menu items pretty traditional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic Occasion Retro Lunch DinningDinedailyDined on 11/14/2014The decor is dated as is the overall atmosphere and feel of the place which screams of lunches past of the leisure class in need of a place to overpay for food and drink. The food was very good, the service attentive, and if you are searching for that quality but superficial 1980's feel this is the place which is the only reason I recommend it. If overpaying for good food and the ever present feel of socially conservative snobbery isn't for you don't dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/9/2014Old fashioned elegance and class. Always outstanding.Special Features:
- Good for quiet date & conversationAlanDined on 10/31/2014Bistro= I expected french cuisine but was disappointed. I ordered crab cake which was served on a lot of Guacamole(Mexican?), which overpowered and ruined the crab cake. She had Ravioli (Italian?) which was not as good as the frozen ones from Costco. I had the special fish, Monk Fish in creamy lemon caper sauce (isn't that Italian Piccata Sauce?). It was very good except for the cheap vegetables and awful Spanish rice. The Souffle was the only French item we had and it was good. Service was VERY GOOD, Friendly and Professional. Atmosphere was Cozy at the bar, and open and airy in the restaurant. Would be a great place for brunch, specially for women. It is not a manly kind of place. Good for a date though. SHE LIKED IT.Special Features:
- patrickVIPDined on 10/30/2014My friends and I always enjoy our lunches at Bistro Gardens. The service is always terrific, and it's nice to see the same waiters each visit, who have been there for a long time. One of my friends had the lbster ravioli special of the day, and he said it was the best thing he had ever eaten there. And the pumpkin souffle, which is seasonal, is absolutely delicious (as is the chocolate souffle). We always enjoy our time at this restaurant.Special Features:
- We expected so much morebroudstDined on 10/28/2014Went to the Bistro Garden mid-week. It was quiet. Very quiet. The menu is seriously uninspired. Honestly, nothing sounded that great or had any sort of flare or made us say "we've got to try that." Service was poor. Our server never mentioned the nightly specials. We only heard about them when he mentioned them to the next table. He also never asked if we wanted dessert. However, he presented our check with a smile and a enthusiastic thank you! What happened to this place? It needs a serious makeover. We expected so much more like great food, great service! Can't recommend and won't be back.
- Fairytale Atmosphere8satisfiedDined on 10/23/2014Excellent food and service. Very consistent. Perfect to celebrate special occasions. Must order chocolate souffle when you place your order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegance Reigns SupremrLurkincDined on 10/9/2014What a pleasure it is to still have this restaurant that transforms you to a sweeter time. The food is Continental French, and is of the highest quality. The service is attentive, but not cloying. Beautiful dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/30/2014Great restaurant for a reunion with special friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ladies out to lunch8longagofriendsDined on 9/25/2014We had a wonderful time celebrating our girlfriend's birthday. Everything was fantastic, the food was very delicious!Special Features:
- One of the Valleys very bestDannVIPDined on 9/19/2014Always wonderful food, great service and ambience - added cheerful greeting and valet parking!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened to this place?deepsixVIPDined on 8/31/2014Bistros Gardens had been a favorite spot up to 2013. This time the service was bad. The lobster bisque, a favorite, was so salty as to be inedible. The pasta sauce tasted like tomato paste, and the tuna tartar tasted like it had been mixed with ketchup. The place is still pretty and was quiet (maybe because so few people were there).
- MR GERARDGERARDDined on 8/28/2014GREAT OVER ALL! MAURICE TAKES GREAT CARE OF EVERYONE! SERVICE IS FANTASTIC! NOT RUSHED ! VERY HIGH LEVEL CUISINE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!SherylVIPDined on 8/24/2014The food and service are outstanding here. I would have given them 5 stars for ambiance if the piano music wasn't so LOUD! We were trying to visit together but at times couldn't hear one another. I don't know why they even have it since it interferes with the dining experience. Do they think there are actually people who DON'T want to visit with friends when they dine??? If they can omit the music it would be divine.Special Features:
- Nice Meal & Nice PlacejrobinsonVIPDined on 8/16/2014We had never been to this restaurant but we decided to try it. We had an excellent meal and the room was very pretty, airy and well decorated. My wife had the scampi (great) and I had the shrimp & lobster ravioli. terrific. A bit expensive but we would go back. Service was great too.Special Features:
- The BestjjschaumDined on 8/14/2014My favorite restaurant in the "valley". I live in Washington, DC but own a townhouse in Santa Barbara. Since I grew up in Los Angeles, I like to see many friends and family....but they live far and wide. We often meet at Bistro Garden and we are always pleased with the food, the service and the lovely surroundings. I hope to be visiting this wonderful restaurant for many more years. You never disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Bistro Garden never disappointsNtinoVIPDined on 8/13/2014As always, the Bistro Garden was fantastic! We went for our sons's last dinner out before leaving for college and we all tremendously enjoyed our meals. The Bistro Gsrden is definitely a keeper!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than ever.ARoseVIPDined on 8/9/2014We were pleasantly surprised by the dinner dining experience. Have enjoyed lunches here but we had not had dinner at the BG in years. Ambiance of the garden is beautiful. Service is professional and attentive.The assorted breads were fabulous, served with a liver pâté as well as butter.Salads were impeccable. We all had the whitefish. Excellent classic preparation.(we added capers) Presentation of vegetables with the fish was not only delicious, but very attractive. Lemon and chocolate soufflés are French perfection...Cooked all the way thru as they should be. Loved the piano bar. Mixed crowd, which we liked. We appreciated the attention to detail, a refreshing change from the trendier restaurants in town.Special Features:
- They may have been short staffed!aspecialdinnerDined on 8/3/2014Although we usually really enjoy this restaurant... They had a party, a large table of 15 or so, and it was busy Our waiter was very pleasant, but not very attentive once the restaurant got busy. Although my veal chop, a special, was delicious, it was very fatty. When I told the wait staff, they told the chef - who said "sorry". That's it - sorry - for my $48 fatty veal chop. Then they forgot the chocolate soufflé we had ordered when we first ordered our meal. But they did bring one out with our bill, but did comp the soufflé.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 357 reviews are from the Bistro Garden at Coldwater reviews archive.
- Always GoodBuffyDined on 7/24/2014I have been going there for a number of years and enjoy it for both business and fun meals.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedNickiDined on 7/21/2014I expected a lot from this restaurant, given its prices and fancy menu. The salad had some wilted lettuce in it. The filet was tough. The chocolate souffle did not taste like chocolate. The only nice things were the attentive wait staff and the fact that they had liver pate along with the pre-dinner bread and butter. It did have nice decor and a lovely pianist.
- Consistently goodRichardVIPDined on 7/21/2014Bistro Garden has consistently good, food, service and ambiance.Special Features:
- We had a lovely timeDavidDined on 7/17/2014I had not been to the Bistro Garden in several years and was unsure if it would still live up to my expectations. I had no cause for concern, as the quality of its food and service remained excellent. We had early reservations, so the place was almost empty and very quiet, except for the pleasant melodies coming from the piano in the bar. My guest and I ordered three appetizers, which we mentioned that we would be sharing. They were brought to the table already divided into separate plates. The main course was perfect, delivered very hot and not too soon as to overlap the first course. The chocolate soufflé was sublime. My only regret was that we did not order two of them. The service was very professional, which is rear these daysSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great eveningNtinoVIPDined on 7/12/2014Once again, the Bistro Garden did not disappoint! I have had many, many meals there, but NEVER a bad one! Just a joy to have dinner there.Special Features:
- Ended Greatbilly44byDined on 7/11/2014I have been eating here for 20+years. With that said my recent outing was a major disappointment We ordered 2 crab cake & 1 tuna tartar both appetizers were perfect couldn't ask for any better anywhere. we all ordered the fish of the day & all 3 orders were over cooked to the point that you couldn't eat them & all went back. It looked like they had been cooked & sat on a warming table to dry out. We then ordered white fish which was excellent however the wild rice was dry & tasteless & the vegetables were over cooked & looked like they to had been sitting under a hot lamp. Now the service as usual was superb & I will be back there again; after all in the end this is a great place & 1 bad meal in over 20 years is a great bating averageSpecial Features:
- Birthday BrunchdelighteddinerDined on 7/6/2014The Bistro Gardens was an elegant place to celebrate a special birthday brunch. We were able to have a toast with the mimosas that part of the brunch and the staff was right on top of all of our needs, especially with 3 small children who enjoyed watching the piano player. It has a lovely daytime garden ambiance and at nighttime all the inside trees twinkle with lights.Special Features:
- Old School Classic DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/28/2014Bistro Gardens is an elegant and classy place to enjoy a delicious meal. Very professional wait staff, beautiful and very open main dining area. Live music (piano) greatly enhanced the overall experience. Generally expect an older crowd. Not a very large menu but very diverse with something for almost everyone.Special Features:
- Expensive, but worth it!GrandpaJimmyDined on 6/16/2014This is a true find in the San Fernando Valley. It's been there for years, and never disappoints. The service, food and presentation are impeccable. I had the Pork Chop. It was huge, and the meal as a whole was very filling. The gravy was delicate and delicious, and along with the outstanding, smooth mashed potatoes, just enhanced the entire plate. Our waiter was pleasant, just the perfect amount of funny, and his recommendations were absolutely on the mark. No negatives at all. We had gift certificates, but I will be back, even at the price point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a charmerz1466VIPDined on 6/6/2014This restaurant has been around a long time and it's still a delightful experience. The service was exceptional as well as the food. The tables are well spaced so you can have a private conversation and the ambiance is beautiful.Special Features:
- TopazDined on 6/5/2014The valet attendant must be commended for his honesty, that one seldom finds. While paying him, I had dropped $ 100.oo dollars. When I came out of the restaurant, he returned the money back to me. This restaurant deserves another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lake Superior WhitefishItalianfoodloverVIPDined on 5/19/2014The whitefish was dry and borderline not fresh but the french onion soup was very good! Beautiful atmosphere for an older crowd. Very quiet on the day we were there.
- For every occasion !OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/18/2014Great entertainment, specially Saturdays night and Sunday brunch with Pianist Richard...Amazing! Nice ambience, great food and super service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambianceSteaklover19VIPDined on 5/17/2014I still love dining here after all of these years. Beautiful restaurant where you can actually hear the person you are dining with. We had great service and one of the best prime steaks I've eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceSlainteDined on 5/14/2014We had a lovely evening here, but we waited 10 to 15 minutes for a menu. We got it then only because we managed to catch the eye of a passing waiter (not our waiter). This is the second time (over quite a lengthy period) that this has happened to us at tis restaurant. The restaurant was only about 20-25% full at this time. If we had have had time, we would have mentioned this to the manager.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful mothers day brunchswheelzDined on 5/11/2014This was the perfect spot to take my mother for brunch. Great ambiance, food and service.Special Features:
- Bistro GardensfabrandtDined on 5/11/2014Food and service are always excellent if not a bit pricey....always feels like I'm dining somewhere in France. Relaxed yet special.Special Features:
- I had a bad meal there for lunch.squirrelVIPDined on 4/29/2014Service is always good, however, this day the food was especially poor. I've been there many times before and always love the food and ambiance there. However, on this particular day, the whitefish has tons of sauce and breading, and saturated in oil. I've ordered it many times before, and it was never prepared that way. They did take it back, but the next time the fish was dripping in water and raw! They were not very nice and I had to point this out to them as I couldn't eat it.Special Features:
- Elegant diningDrDiningDined on 4/21/2014in the foyer of a staid mansion on Ventura Blvd. The food was very well prepared from the cucumber salad to the beautifully broiled lamb chops and the divine chicken in a capellini marinara. Martinis were dry and shaken! Pricey but very worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SlowOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/29/2014The restaurant is nice, the servers are slow and needed prodding. The food was good but not special.
- Needs a little rehabMalibutterDined on 3/29/2014This place is full of potential, but while the atmosphere is open and inviting, it feels a little long in the tooth and in need of a tune up. Chips in the porcelain and some dinginess in the decor come to mind. Correspondingly, the menu and food preparation, while perfectly elegant for the 70's, hasn't caught up with our more modern pallets. My wife's risotto with short ribs special was drenched in butter, and was needlessly heavy. My lamb chops, while cooked and seasoned well, were slathered with a sort of gravy that felt superfluous. The chocolate soufflé with hand whipped cream, however, was as good as any we've had. On another positive note, the service and staff were friendly, inobtrusive, and operated like a well-oiled machine.Special Features: