118 Cass Street
Traverse City, MI 49648Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bistrofoufou.com/
- Phone: 231-421-6583x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 4-9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Guillaume Hazaël-Massieux
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Full bar available with a large selection of wines, beer, and liquors. Restaurant catering in the French dining style with private menus available on request.
- Special Events: September- May monthly wine dinner
A word from Bistro Foufou
Fun French bistro in the heart of downtown Traverse CityContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Bistro Foufou - Best Restaurants in Traverse City ›
Bistro Foufou reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (37)notable wine list (23)neighborhood gem (23)special occasion (22)romantic (18)great for brunch (9)great for lunch (7)good for groups (5)great for outdoor dining (5)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Favorably Impressed!WandererVIPDined on 9/19/2014We wanted to try something different in Traverse City, decided on Bistro Foufou. A wonderful evening, we were greeted warmly and seated promptly. The ambiance is even like a French bistro, we have been to a number in Paris just like this - great! The wine list offerings were mainly French, but the selections were varied and moderately priced. Our server was helpful and engaging ... started with the escargot and green salad, then moved on to the trout and cod, both excellently prepared. We don't normally have dessert, but the flour less chocolate cake was just too much of a temptation!! A great evening, we will be back, plus possibly even try their Sunday brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Pork chops were great Salmon. Tasteless. Trout. Dried out. Saw a server come out of bathroom and not wash hands. Our server had no personality. Some things we ordered we great. Not planning on going back. Recommending or going to the other resturant owned by themSpecial Features:
- boboVIPDined on 9/12/2014We have been to this restaurant in previous travels to Traverse City. The downtown location is excellent. We shared the Beet Salad & Beef Burgundy.....both were very good. The bar tender was friendly and knowledgeable & made our visit even more enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place.SofthackleDined on 8/27/2014Located just off Front Street, Bistro FuFu offers an alternative to Front Street restaurants with very good food and service. We were seated in the front by the window and the noise level was very loud making conversation difficult at times. As the crowd cleared, we had a very nice evening finishing our meal with wine in a nice almond sphere. Food was well prepared. The dinner summer salad lacked ingrediants and was a dissapointing main entrée. The pork chop was surprisingly very good and the remaining entrees on our menus were also very good. Wait staff was very friendly and efficient. Good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/20/2014We celebrated my birthday and it was a great treat. Cocktails/wine were great and food was delicious as always. This night we had french onion soup, fresh salad greens with a yummy citrus vinaigrette, trout and perfect tuna (which is hard to find in Traverse City). Our server was knowledgeable and friendly. Service from the kitchen was timed very well. And my girlfriend took me to La Becasse the next night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatD96D125Dined on 8/16/2014Enjoyed family dinner during our vacation visit. Wine selection is good and price range is reasonable. Food is good overall but no positive surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodChuckDined on 8/16/2014The food was very good, along with the service. We requested a quiet area and that was accommodated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedtomservoDined on 7/31/20142 people ordered Walleye. Fish was rubbery and lacked flavor on both plates. My steak frites was served cold (not warm at all). I had ordered it medium and most of it was cooked that way, however, they threw on a few slices of rare meat as well. I guess they ran out of medium and gave me pieces from someone who ordered rare. BTW, even the medium meat was cold. Salads ok, nothing special. Pate very boring without the mustard sauce. It was our second time there. We will not be back unless just for a glass of wine. Happy to pay for good food, however, this $200+ dinner for four was not even close to worth it. The bread was the best part of the meal by far. Sorry Guillaume.Special Features:
- Second visit, would returnOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2014Chicken fricassee (special) was delicious; walleye entree was good but not super. French 75 cocktail was dull. Nice wine selection, including many choices by the glass. Service was good. We were seated near kitchen but noise wasn't a problem. Overall a very nice dining experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, easy to make it betterRichardDined on 7/25/2014Nice wine choices, and the food was good, but a little care could have impressed. Pork chop was tough, but nicely seasoned, tomatoes were too early, but nicely presented. In a city of excellent restaurants, FouFou needs to crank it up to keep up.Special Features:
- food4thoughtDined on 7/24/2014Really enjoyed my first dining experience. The appetizers were fantastic - the favorite part of our meal! Although there was a significant delay between appetizer and entree, the meal was worth the wait. My scallops were fantastic as was the rest of my companions' meals. I am less familiar with french wine than spanish, and our waiter did a nice job of recommending something to my taste. I felt little guilt paying our bill at the end of the evening. Our entire dining party is looking forward to returning again.Special Features:
- A Traverse City MUSTTheLoneDinerDined on 7/24/2014Lovely space, elegant presentAtion, delicious unique flavors. A wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food, served poorlyDallasDaddyVIPDined on 7/22/2014What a shame to have such a wonderful meal served by a slow bartender with an indifferent attitude. The slow business that night apparently upset him, so he was NOT happy to be there. He tried, but his heart just wasn't in it. He had ZERO warmth, and even less motivation to make our meal pleasurable. Small chat is not his specialty.Special Features:
- A GemappyDined on 7/21/2014Have been going since they opened. The menu is so much better than the early offeringSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting MenuPattyDined on 7/18/2014Very nice inside atmosphere, relatively quiet, very good, professional service. Nice to have this restaurant in Traverse City. The food wasn't fabulous, but very nice and different from the usual menu. Our company enjoyed it very much.Special Features:
- Truly exceptional French cuisine!tcfoodie77Dined on 7/18/2014This was our first time dining at Bistro Foufou! The prices on all the items (wine included) were very reasonable, and the cocque monsieur with pommes frites and bechamel did not disappoint in the least. Rich and generous French culinary portions with exquisite presentation were paired perfectly with the wonderfully decorated interior. To put the icing on the cake, the service provided by our server (Nicholas) was prompt, attentive, unintrusive, and expert (superb recommendations). I'm anxiously awaiting the next opportunity available to dine at Bistro Foufou.Special Features:
- Disappointed!!SDicken179VIPDined on 7/17/2014After significant hype and an aggressive hostess I was disappointed in the quality if the food and space afforded a larger party (which should have been attractive for an establishment of this size). Best part was a fantastic waiter otherwise I would not go back. I see now why they had space available and no one else did at prime time.Special Features:
- Gem in Traverse CityBobFVIPDined on 7/15/2014Great food. Friendly staff. Look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- What a let downLuvgoodfoodDined on 7/6/2014After all the good reviews, I thought I had chosen the perfect Traverse City restaurant for our family's dinner. The entrees were mediocre and overpriced -- the burgers, the pork chop, and the quinoa. The only notable part of the meal was the French pastry dessert. We walked out, disatisfied, after paying a nearly $200 tab. What a waste. Earlier in the day, we happened upon Om Cafe for lunch; it was reasonably priced and the food was exquisite. I wish we had returned there for dinner instead.
- Love Bistro FoufouOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014An Excellent experience every time. Great service and the food is always consistently amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlrightNachoManDined on 7/4/2014It was a nice environment with decent food, but really overpriced for the quantity and quality. Steak was just "ok," and the vegetarian risotto ($20) was just "ok." If their prices better reflected the quality and quantity of the food, we would return. Otherwise, I'd rather spend that kind of money elsewhere. Their food tastes similar (or worse) to that of Applebee's, and I just can't justify that kind of price inflation.Special Features:
- Change the NameCompattyVIPDined on 7/2/2014Trying to figure out why this place is so easy to get in to and never really crowded. I think its the name. Who wants to admit eating at a place called "Foufou"? It sounds upper crust and stuck up. The crowd is older and quiet, which tells you something about this place. Its right next to the Franklin which is the exact opposite crowd...loud and lively. The food is very good. Fresh ingredients locally grown. The restaurant itself is very nice, staff is attentive, and we were pleased overall. But please change the name. Really.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/1/2014The only negative is the food portions are quite small. Everything else is all very positive and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fou FouCoyoteDined on 6/23/2014I had walked by this place several times and was curious. Causing more curiosity was the discovery that it was owned by the same person as La Becasse, because I had been trying to visit that establishment for awhile. Fortunate find. Very enjoyable. I had heard on a popular rating app. that the staff was affected and discourteous. Not so. very helpful and knowledgeable staff, and great food. Lucky find.Special Features:
- Try the steak frîtes!KiKiDined on 6/7/2014Amazingly delicious dinner. Steak frîtes that could hold their own in Paris. The brownie with salted caramel sauce for dessert is exquisite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/6/2014We ate at Bistro Foufou on a Friday night. It wasn't crowded, so the noise level was good and the service was attentive. The food was really excellent. I had the beet salad and steak frites. My husband had the french onion soup and the bistro burger. Traverse City has many restaurants that are pretty good, but not that many that are truly excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 139 reviews are from the Bistro Foufou reviews archive.
- Anniversary CelebrationEatinOutinTCDined on 5/22/2014We visited Bistrou Fou Fou to celebrate our anniversary with friends. We were before a holiday weekend so the restaurant was not crowded. The waitress was very knowledgeable about our wine choices and knew the menu very well. The staff was attentive but not aggressive when they sensed we were in no hurry about our food. Two of our guests ordered the special - a seared cod which was outstanding. The seared salmon and filet were all exceptional. We eat here a few times a year and are never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Food ExperienceFamilyFoursomeDined on 5/17/2014We came here to celebrate a birthday & our group was my husband, his parents & me. We had made reservations for a 7:30 seat time. This was our 2nd visit to Traverse & the first for our parents. We love delicious food & good wine so after looking at the menu online, this seemed to be a great choice. Food was excellent but the table back in corner near the entrance to the back prep/kitchen left a little to be desired ambiance-wise. The service was middle-of-the-road & although plates were cleared/water was filled, it didn't feel as though you were "embraced" and welcomed into "their" restaurant. I didn't feel like anyone was trying to show us a great food/wine "experience" which is what I would have expected from a restaurant of this levelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Standout in a foodie townSing4mysupperDined on 5/17/2014With its creative menu of varied offerings, FouFou proved the perfect spot for our three generation dinner. The meat dishes are classic bistro fare, while the fish and seafood are fresh and delicious. In classic bistro fashion, it is a bit rowdy, but is a lovely choice for dinner for two or a celebration with a big group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealfoodiegirlDined on 5/10/2014My husband and I enjoyed another wonderful dinner at Bistro Foufou. We think it's one of Traverse City's best restaurants.Special Features:
- Wow!KiKiDined on 4/26/2014Our party of 5 was wowed by the entire evening at Fou Fou. We shared the evening's flatbread appetizer. The steak frîtes was perfectly prepared. For dessert, the brownie with salted caramel sauce was crazy good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/26/2014My wife and I both ordered seafood and both of us found the entrees to be outstanding. Portion sizes were on the smallish side but the presentation, temperature and taste was competitive with the best in town.Special Features:
- Fantastic French cuisineSargeDined on 4/25/2014For a quiet and romantic dining experience, Bistro Foufou is a downtown gem. Our waitress was very attentive and the food was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab for Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/11/2014We had an amazing dinner at Bistro Fou Fou! We ordered a nice bottle of wine and just ate a variety of appetizers. The staff was extremely friendly and amenable. Would definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the area's best!Tharding613Dined on 4/4/2014This is a foodie town and this place holds its own! Excellent traditional and nouvelle French cuisine with great service and ambience! Could make it in NYC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic French BistroWendyMJDined on 3/29/2014This was our third visit to Bistro FouFou. Our menus were personalized for our anniversary which was a great surprise. The food was excellent, we started with oysters, I had the trout with lentils and sauteed haricots verts and cherry tomatos and my husband had the beef bourguignon. We finished with a pistachio and chocolate pot de creme. Everything was classic country French. They have an extensive wine list and cocktail menu as well. One major plus is being able to order half-glasses of wine. The atmosphere was pleasantly busy and the service was excellent. Dishes and drinks are very reasonably priced for the region, you get your money's worth!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French Countryside in TCOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/28/2014We are regulars at FouFou and the service and quality of food is absolutely consistent. If you are a fan of French fare, farm-to-table, and quiet ambience... this will be a homerun for you! The menu changes often enough that you can dine often and not get bored with the food selection and Chef Guilliaume has an incredibly high knowledge of using local ingredients with staple French meals to bring out the most flavor of every dish. Pricing is what you would expect for premium fare in Northern MI. Setting is bistro-style with a bar area with some outdoor seating in season. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What is a FouFou?seven64Dined on 3/22/2014So very much enjoyed our experience. Vegetarian selection outstanding. Drove 60 miles to try out this restaurant and would return again without thinking twice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place to startDavidvnhrnDined on 3/13/2014I will overall say that the feel for the restaurant was very smooth but elegant. I dressed up for the the event (birthday) and I felt as if it's not just a casual place to go; which isn't a bad thing. Some of my guest thought that there food was a little salty but overall it was a great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My husband, myself, and dearWhatsfordinnerDined on 3/1/2014My husband, myself, and dear old friends enjoyed an excellent meal of whitefish, beet salad, escargot, and dessert. The only drawback, and it will affect us, is how loud it is, as my husband wears a hearing aid and that type of background noise makes it difficult for him to be part of a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.