Bistro Forty Two
405-P East Dixie Drive
Asheboro, NC 27203Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Bistro Forty Two
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://ncbistrofortytwo.com/
- Phone: 3366253663
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm, Pizza Menu Only: 3:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Luke Armitage
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer full service catering in house or out. We will create a event with you that will fit all of your needs and budget. We strive to help you make your event perfect-down to the last detail.We work with your budget ! All menus are versatile and we like to incorporate your ideas too!
A word from Bistro Forty Two
When you visit Bistro forty two, you're in for a treat. Experience fresh seafood, hand-cut steaks, shrimp and grits or any of our other mouthwatering dishes. Our chefs are renowned for their creative combinations of spices, sauces and fresh seasonal ingredients. Menus are seasonal and change often. We try to use the freshest seasonal product available so come and see what is in season and taste what our chefs have done with this seasons products Come and join use for a glass or bottle of wine, we have many varieties to choose from and as many vineyards. There will be a wine to fit the season and the occasions. Our warm and charming atmosphere will instantly relax you while our attentive staff spoils you. Weekly menu specials offer unique flavors and pairings. Bistro forty two is the perfect destination for your next night out, whether an intimate dinner for two or a large group celebration. We serve dinner 6 nights a week and lunch 5 days a week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bistro Forty Two reviews from OpenTable diners
2 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (2)neighborhood gem (2)special occasion (2)good for groups (1)great for lunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)kid-friendly (1)notable wine list (1)romantic (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- KragDined on 9/20/2014We've been to the Bistro 42 many times since it opened and have always been extremely pleased with the food and the service. For many years it was the only "quality" restaurant in Asheboro and it has improved with time. Whatever you do, don't miss the fried oysters!!!Special Features:
- The following 84 reviews are from the Bistro Forty Two reviews archive.
- Poor service/new server?MyreviewsDined on 4/25/2014Our server obviously didn't know what she was doing. We asked her about the two prices on the appetizer and was told the higher price was a double appetizer (which we ordered). When it arrived, it was made up as a meal with a small amount of meat for the table of 5 to share. She also asked me when I ordered my meal if I wanted the beef tips (appetizer) as well. The appetizer order had not been put it to be cooked yet. We had ordered the appetizer at least 15 to 20 minutes earlier. After the appetizer, we again waited a very long time, and we had to ask for our salad to be served. I have been there many times before and this was the first time such poor service.
- TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/23/2014Food took way too long to get to us causing the overall evening timeline with my customer to go too long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing to write home abouthannabananaDined on 4/3/2014Having read reviews prior to making a reservation and reading that service seemed to be their weakness, we have to agree. Our main server was great - he was efficient and knowledgeable. There was a young girl bringing things to the table who didn't seem to understand what was going on around her. She took our drink orders incorrectly (didn't write anything down). Food was ok. Atmosphere is what it is I guess. Last unit at the end of a shopping plaza ...
- Great food. Service, not so much.HangryDined on 3/13/2014Incredibly mediocre service for such a unique menu & fantastic food. Server was either very distracted or working too much territory. It was abundantly clear that we weren't the only frustrated table. Easily the best food in Asheboro, hoping the service can live up to the main attraction in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great intimate setting butOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014Great intimate setting but not to intimate that you couldn't enjoy a few drinks after work at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was very good butcga7806Dined on 2/14/2014The food was very good but way overpriced. We ordered baked flounder served "with" citrus salad. What we received was two portions of warm flounder over a small portion of vegetables and rice. While the sauce had a good favor, the flounder could have been broiled for better texture and served skinless, and the salad was a joke since a good portion of it was a filler of rice. At $20/plate we expected more. In addition we waited at least 40 minutes for the food to arrive in a restaurant that was approximately 30% full on a night (valentines day) that I would have expected it to be full. The food is flavorful and is well presented, but I have to say we left with stomachs looking for more and our wallet much lighter.Special Features:
- thanksOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/31/2014Great little spot for dinner pre uhwarrie mountain run! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden SurpriseAsheboroRevisitedDined on 1/18/2014The food and presentation were excellent. Ironically, one of the featured after-dinner drinks was a Bailey's coffee, however, I was not able to order this as they were out of Bailey's!! And on a Saturday night, which is usually the biggest crowd night. This was concerning given the need for a small, privately owned restaurant to be able to compete with the local chains just down the street such as Chili's and Rockola where a fully stocked bar is the norm and the selection is even more extensive. Personally, I prefer the smaller, more intimate dining experience and hope Bistro 42 makes it as the food and the service were fabulous!! This is truly a hidden Asheboro gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place for lunchKinzieDined on 1/4/2014Had a group birthday luncheon for 8 ladies. Our waitress was wonderful and took great care of us. Wonderful food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to dine.asheborodinerDined on 12/31/2013Bistro 42 has a great menu with diverse choices. The wine selection & dessert menu add the perfect touch to a great dining experience. The shrimp & grits and the key lime pie is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/28/2013In a word, the food was fantastic! Oyster appetizers were great and the filet was cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last minute reservationNutcrackerfanDined on 12/20/2013We made our reservation with Open Table during intermission and were able to walk right in after the ballet. Food and sevice were great as usual!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Special OccasionsMarciaDined on 11/30/2013We love Bistro 42 and when we have a special occasion, such as my husbands birthday, we naturally think of celebrating there. The steaks were perfect, and the wait staff made him feel great. They presented him with a piece of chocolate cake (his favorite) with a fudge icing that even I loved! We don't need a special occasion to go to Bistro, but when we have one it's a great excuse!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where's The Food ?HungryDined on 11/23/2013My husband made dinner reservations so that my birthday could be observed. There was a wait before seating . Having dined at Bistro 42 on several occasions, there was a feeling that everything was off a few beats . We were seated thirty minutes before bread was delivered to the table . At that time , I requested lemon for my water . I was assured it would be brought immediately . It was never received. The entree came forty-five minutes after the order was given . ( Fifteen minutes after the bread ) The food was wonderful !!!! Absolutely no complaints with the food preparation or the presentation . We will give the restaurant another try but need to let the bad memory dull a bit . This wasn't typical of other experiences there .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional attentive service!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/6/2013Exceptional attentive service!! It has been awhile since I have dined here and was somewhat disappointed that the menu no longer reflected the earlier creativity in the kitchen. Missed the homemade ice cream that made this strip mall restaurant fit for desitnation dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return visitw4mpsDined on 10/4/2013This was our second visit to Bistro 42. It was recommended to us by our B&B hosts during our first trip to N.C. pottery country. Both dinner experiences were very good. Food was consistently excellent and they have a very good wine list in all price ranges. This is our "go to" dinner destination when we're visiting the area.Special Features:
- identity crisissuechefDined on 9/20/2013brown butcher paper on top of white linen cloths that looked to be cut by 5 year olds.given 2 menus, a pizza menu and then a gourmet dinner menu.waiter had tables in bar area and outside and seemed to forget the dining room.apps and salad delivered by kitchen and less than 2 min. later our entrees arrived. the food was really good and it was a shame that the total pkg wasnt there for a true dining experience. this place needs to decide what it wants to be instead of a split personality.
- dinner reviewluv2readDined on 9/13/2013Food was exceptional! Wonderful for celebrations! Ambience made it seem as if you were not in Asheboro but in a nice place away from town. Unfortunately, the hostess argued with me about my reservations. She insisted it was only for 2 people when it was for 3. I came home and checked and indeed it was for 3. I didn't appreciate her arguing with me. But things were better after we were seated. And the food was excellent. Sincerely, Mary RichSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappyDinnerHappydinnerDined on 8/21/2013First experience at the bistro and was completely happy with our overall experience . Conrad was our waiter and did a fantastic job. He new his menu and specials and very attentive to our needs !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu was interesting. HadJudgeDined on 8/16/2013Menu was interesting. Had heard that the noise was an issue...though it was high it didn't bother me. Food presentation was excellent. Food itself was good but not outstanding. I would recommend the restaurant, and I will go back. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were traveling throughmskatplayDined on 7/26/2013We were traveling through Asheboro on our way to the beach, and found this little gem online. It's incredibly convenient, located next to most of the main hotels, and is an excellent alternative to the various chains catering to the tourist market. Though located in a strip mall, this place has a nice upscale but casual interior and lovely patio. It is clearly a favorite of locals as we saw several friends greeting each other. The menu eschews the adventurous, but everything we had was nicely done and of good quality. Our waitress was pleasant and the service was fine, but not particularly notable. The experience was perfect for the venue and price point. We had a good appetizer, entrees, a bottle of wine and dessert for under $100.Special Features:
- Blackened grouper was good;disappointedDined on 7/24/2013Blackened grouper was good; serving it over refrigerator-cold grits was not! My guest's pizza looked like something you would expect in a school cafeteria. On the bright side, this was my first visit to Bistro that the server actually knew what the specials were.
- It was a surprisingly experience.DanysoledadeDined on 7/12/2013It was a surprisingly experience. Asheboro does not have many places to choose from. We has reservations for 7:45 pm and we got there a bit earlier. They found us a table and we did not need to wait at all. Good service and good food. The ambient is romantic and appropriate for a date, although there were some groups and families. I highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!mysnapdogDined on 6/8/2013I was very hesitant about eating here after reading the reviews. I have eaten here in the past a couple of times before they were in the current location. Before, the service wasn't great and the food was just okay. However, this time it was awesome. For 2 adults and a toddler our bill was almost $80 which is a little pricey but was worth it. This isn't an every weekend place to eat because of the price but it is okay for an every now and then place to eat.Special Features:
- Great Food, Poor Service.wickedeagleDined on 5/24/2013So we went there recently and it took us more than an hour to receive our food with only three other tables occupied. One of the tables was already finished with their meal as well. We ordered an appetizer. I had to ask three time to receive my drink and my wife went without a refill on her water for about twenty minutes. However, when our food FINALLY arrived, it was quite delicious.
- Time to chatcookinglessDined on 5/4/2013Good food at lunch with many choices. Server knew we were with friends from out of town so didn't hover but was appropriately attentive. Good value. Not noted elsewhere is that restaurant is in a shopping center on a corner, not free-standing, so keep looking for it; don't give up! It's well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have dined at Bistro 42Dan11111Dined on 3/19/2013We have dined at Bistro 42 a several times and have enjoyed their food each time. The fresh ingredients and clever preparation is always appreciated. Be prepared to pay higher than average prices...but the quality of the food makes up for it -- even with the pizza. Their wine selection is narrow but we have always found something interesting.Special Features:
- Food excellent, limited wine listBascumDined on 2/23/2013The Food is the highlight. Excellent taste, quality preparation and presentation. It's a small place and the tables are fairly close. The interior has little to no sound deadening. So, its a little noisy, not intimate. Outdoor dining looked more spacious, but not open in winter. Service/server was ok. Drink service was slow. Wine list by the glass is very limited. Only one choice per type. If you like the one cab, pino or chard, your in luck. If not, no alternative but bottles starting around $40. Decent selection of beer on tap and bottle. Well worth it for the food. Prices are low for the dishes. Overall great place. Wine list and noise kept me from giving a 5.Special Features:
- Service was a little slowOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2013Service was a little slow at times. Waited about 15 minutes for one dessert to be served.Special Features:
- Loving the 42 and so will you.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013I have never been disappointed at Bistro 42. The food is always scrumptious, well portioned and excellently presented. The service is always spot on. Great selection of brews and wines. Worth the drive if you aren't local!Special Features:
- This is our go-to place forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/31/2013This is our go-to place for any occasion. When we have out-of-town guests, it's the very best place in town to go. Great food, good wine selection, great service, not too expensive, casual atmosphere. The music is at a level where you can actually talk to each other without shouting.Special Features:
- We love Bistro. They haveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/26/2012We love Bistro. They have background music but it is not blaring like so many places. It is casual, yet perfect for us for special occasions since we are casual folks. The people are so nice and the food is outstanding.Special Features:
- Great Food..Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2012Their food is always outstanding! Service is always poor. It takes a while to get your food which is fine, but i feel the waitresses should at least keep your drinks not empty while waiting.Special Features:
- Very good local restaurant,OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/3/2012Very good local restaurant, food excellent, but if you go regularly, there should be more nightly specials .Special Features:
- Authentic, freshly preparedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2012Authentic, freshly prepared foods with enough variety on the menu to please most everyone. I was very impressed when I called ahead and the Chef was willing to prepare an entree not currently on the menu for our dinner.Special Features:
- Enjoyed shrimp and grits dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/3/2012Enjoyed shrimp and grits dinner. Food tasty. A small salad with it would have been good.
- We found this restaurant byOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/7/2012We found this restaurant by accident flipping through a paper in the hotel we were staying, best food we have had in a long time and we are big foodies (usually our trips are planned around the food, not the sites). I easily see us making the trip again just to eat here in future..amazing food.Special Features:
- Mother's Day Brunch was GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/13/2012Love the brunch idea & is a great opportunity to see what the chef can do with several items. The price was reasonable also.Special Features:
- Not as good as normal as onOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/28/2012Not as good as normal as on my many other trips, but still very high quality for this town. Specials were a little disappointing but otherwise all else was excellent.Special Features: