Bistro du Midi
272 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Bistro du Midi
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bistrodumidi.com/
- Phone: (617) 426-7878
- Hours of Operation:
Reservations are only accepted for dinner in the main dining room.
Lunch and dinner in the Cafe served on a walk-in basis.
5:00pm - 10:00pm Monday to Sunday
11:00pm - 3:00pm Saturday and Sunday
Our Cafe Menu is served ALL DAY Monday through Friday beginning at 11:30am, and beginning at 3:00pm Saturday and Sunday.
(Served ONLY in the Cafe and at the bar, until 10:00 Sunday - Wednesday, until 11:00 Thusday - Saturday)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Provencal, French
- Executive Chef: Robert Sisca
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our private Wine Room can accommodate groups from 10 to 25 behind handsome sliding barn doors. The room features a stunning view of Boston's public garden, original sketches by Henri Matisse against deep red walls and a window into our upstairs wine cellar. The Wine Room is a perfect option for intimate family gatherings, business meetings and celebrations of any type.
Our semi-private Matisse Alcove sits just off the main dining room with three walls around the table and the fourth side open to the dining room, providing parties of 6 to 10 guests with a more intimate dining experience while still allowing guests to enjoy the energy of the restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Sam Wolf (email@example.com) 6174267878x
- Special Events: As a way of sharing Bistro du Midi's passion for wine with everyone, we frequently host guest sommelier nights and private wine dinners hosted by winemakers, vineyard owners and other wine industry professionals. Please visit the Events & News section of www.bistrodumidi.com for details and updates.
- Cross Street: Arlington
- Public Transit: Bistro du Midi sits directly across from Boston's Public Garden half a block from the Arlington T station on the Green Line, on the outskirts of the fabulous Back Bay neighborhood.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet begins at 5:00. $18 per car, cash only.
A word from Bistro du Midi
Bistro du Midi is an authentic Provencal Bistro focusing on the cuisine from Menton to Marseille. We offer an extensive wine list, spectacular southern French food in a relaxed atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Bistro du Midi - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Bistro du Midi reviews from OpenTable diners
204 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (134)special occasion (131)romantic (104)notable wine list (86)scenic view (60)neighborhood gem (50)great for outdoor dining (29)good for groups (25)hot spot (23)vibrant bar scene (17)late-night find (7)great for brunch (7)great for lunch (7)Show More
- DisappointingrftdltVIPDined on 11/22/2014Great looking room, good service. The food was good but not spectacular. What was most disappointing was that one of the entrees came out cold and had to be sent back. At these prices, and in a restaurant that bills itself as upscale (or any restaurant, for that matter), this should never have happened. It made for a less than perfect evening.
- Consistently deliciousTeachVIPDined on 11/21/2014You could go for the chocolate souffle alone, but the bouillabaisse is equally spectacular. I'm a fan of bouillabaisse and have eaten it all over. This is my new favorite. Serving a saffron creme on the side was perfection. We shared salads and they split them attractively onto 2 plates. I've never been disappointed here and love that the tables are spaced so you can hear the conversation of everyone in your group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The old freinds for dinnerJackDined on 11/20/2014The food was excellent, the service warm and helpful, the setting lovely with an open fire, but the noise level was awful. One had to shout to be heard by ones companions at the same table. I would not return because of that. Surely the owners realize this and could do something to baffle the acoustics. Tragic as everything else was so good. When it was the same space but a former restaurant years ago, it was not as uncomfortable.
- Always ExcellentbanditDined on 11/20/2014As always, the food at Bistro du Midi was exceptional. The Lamb Tartare was heavenly, the Fois Gras was as well. My husband had the bouillabaisse, which he loved, and I had the duck breast, which also was wonderful. My only gripe - I asked to take home the rest of the duck breast meal (which included swiss chard with grapefruit), as well as the cauliflower and brussel sprout side, but for some reason they didn't include the swiss chard! Note to chefs/servers - include everything!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Experience All RoundCindyVIPDined on 11/19/2014We had a wonderful dinner at Bistro du Midi. Outside the window the fairy lights twinkled making the atmosphere in the restaurant so pretty. The meal was delicious - my husband enjoyed the oyster sampler and the duck, I loved my bibb lettuce salad and monkfish. And we both agreed the souffle was sublime. But what made this experience the best wast the service. Our waiter, Scott, was attentive, helpful and a super nice man. And the sommelier was superb, he picked the perfect bottle to go with our delicious food. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice meal outOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2014I chose this restaurant as it was well reviewed int he NYT 36hrs in Boston. The ambience was very nice and the view out on to the public garden fantastic. They were running behind so we had to wait to sit in spite of our reservation. Our waiter was very nice but obivously green, however the sommelier was very knowledgeable and helpful in choosing wine and food. My past was recomended however it was rather plain--I would recommend going for one of the main entrees. The seafood was all cooked very very well. I am from Toronto and quite spoiled by a fantastic restaurant scene--bistro du midi fell just short of meeting those ranks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, ambiance. Service error corrected.AverageVIPDined on 11/15/2014Excellent food and ambiance. The wait person brought a second drink too late in the meal. He corrected this by offering us complementary dessert wine that was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly exceptionalnewfanDined on 11/15/2014While not for everyone, the extensive crudo (raw) section on the menu is not to be missed. The scallops were exceptional. Attention must also be drawn to the wild boar ragu pasta and the beef cheeks (which while portioned a tad too generously are objectively ridiculously good). A contender with l'espalier, menton, and clio for best french in boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too noisy food tepidsuzeDined on 11/15/2014waitress ,like a broken recording.,,,,.very noisy, albeit very attractive place
- Date NightOutstandingVIPDined on 11/14/2014We had a reservation for 7 on a Friday and we were seated promptly. Our server was attentive without being pushy and the gentleman made sure our water was charged and table cleared without being intrusive. The staff was excellent. The food was remarkable, from presentation to the last bite. We started with the octopus which was delicious. The duck was cooked perfectly and the tilefish was surprisingly delicate. Finally we had the cinnamon beignets. I do not eat deserts but I will always make room for these when we come back. Just an outstanding night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rich FoodJbradDined on 11/14/2014The place is very pretty, especially upstairs. We were here on a November evening and the beautiful tree with white leaves outside was the view through the large window. The food is VERY rich, so be mindful and order accordingly. Our wait person was a little odd, but attentive and we received what we needed. It was extremely warm in the upstairs dining room and by the end of the evening that made us all very uncomfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great diningAlClauDined on 11/13/2014This is a great Restaurant with a romantic ambiance. The service was polite, the wine good and the food amazing. We had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for food in BostonFoodForThought4uDined on 11/12/2014A very nice ambience and a creative menu. Discrete service without the irritating insistence on (repeatedly) asking '..is everything OK?'. Only blemish on the experience was charging $168 for a (nice) bottle of wine which on the menu was priced at $74. The charcuterie appetiser was very limited in content, but the duck breast main was just beautiful. Make sure you don't miss the calvados soufle. It was truly sensationalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant. Comfortable. Delicious.MinnieDined on 11/8/2014My friend and I, out celebrating her birthday, indulged on their tasting menu. In addition to beautiful food, wonderful ambience and a delightful view of the park, the staff were all wonderfully attentive and proper while somehow relaxed and casual. I will happily go back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulByH2ODined on 11/8/2014This was a special occasion dinner and we were very pleased with this restaurant. The service was very professional and our meals were unique and full of flavor. Our cocktails and wine were top notch. I definitely recommend Bistro du Midi. While it is not inexpensive, it has very fair prices for a high end place with a lovely atmosphere. We found it a bit noisy however.Special Features:
- Very good, not abundantAniketteDined on 11/8/2014Presentation in the plates is beautiful and appetizing. Taste is awesome. You have to pay a separate price if you want some accompaniment (vegetables or something else). The service is very good. You feel as a very important person.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/8/2014We've been to Bistro du Midi many times, both for special occasions and pre-theater, and we love the Mediterranean flavors. We also appreciate prompt pre-theater service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best on a s low night?foodfan1Dined on 11/7/2014The setting is great, and food pretty excellent (though entrees less inspired than apps). But on a busy Friday, the noise levels prevented us from four way conversation, even on the edge of the room.
- Great ExperienceAshleyVIPDined on 10/30/2014We had a great experience in the dining room. Excellent service and delicious food. The view onto the park was really pretty, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful As AlwaysJMNWVIPDined on 10/30/2014Whether I sit at the bar or enjoy the beautiful upstairs dining room I always have a wonderful meal. Bistro Du Midi is a sure thing for a fabulous meal.Special Features:
- great serviceRalphVIPDined on 10/29/2014The food was awesome but what stood up is the service. The waitress did everything possible to get the food including the dessert on time and we made it to our show. Thank youSpecial Features:
- Dessert :-)OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/27/2014While the main course was very good, the chocolate soufflé was spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food poor atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014The food is nicely prepared, but the restaurant is rather shabby and overcrowded and the service is poor for a place trying this hard with its food. Which is a shame as someone in the kitchen clearly knows what they're doing. It would be nice to see a more coherent menu too, but that's a quibble.
- Great for brunch with OOT guestsCantabrigianDined on 10/25/2014We ate here Sunday with friends from Ireland. The service was great--perfect level of support from very pleasant & helpful staff who showed up exactly when needed but didn't hover. We sat at the bar--both guys were exceptionally nice and engaging. My dish--quiche with zucchini, goat cheese, and mushrooms with a side salad--was spot on:seasoned and cooked perfectly and truly delicious. My friend inhaled her brioche French toast with berries and lavender and raved about it afterward. My husband and 10 YO--both connoisseurs--gave the bacon a "'pass" however. This is a lovely place to meet in Boston with amazing views of the Public Garden--a perfect spot to meet out-of-town friends. The food is very good and the staff are helpful and welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious but priceyHungryManDined on 10/25/2014Not many restaurants in Boston have southern French cuisine, and this one does all the basics plus all the extras in that style.Special Features:
- Scrumptious fine diningterpiciaDined on 10/24/2014Every dish was mouth-wateringly wonderful. Excellent service. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb experiencejtfoodieDined on 10/23/2014From soup to nuts as they say! Presentation of the food is refined. The quality of the ingredients is top notch. The dishes are nicely prepared, some on the salty side (e.g. lamb tartare). The bouillabaisse du Midi steals the show on the main menu...but the souffles steal the show on the dessert front. Do not leave without trying them! Wine list is unprecedented. But more importantly, the ambiance is fantastic. Definitely fit for special occasions.Special Features:
- Inattentive service at firstToniottDined on 10/21/2014I rarely have a complaint about du Midi. During a recent dinner, I was served the wrong dish as a starter. No biggie - was clearly a mis-communication between the server and the kitchen. The problem was that I sat there for quite some time, long enough to have eaten the whole thing if I'd so chosen, before our server came by to check on us. The correct order soon followed (and was delicious - the salad with hazelnuts). Service improved after that, but really delayed our evening. I mean, I don't mind a leisurely supper, but to sit there for at least 15 minutes with the wrong food in front of me was not good.Special Features:
- Expensive, but worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014From the appetizers to desert, food was impeccable. The service is just right - caring, polite, but not snobbish. The only concern is that because the restaurant was full on a Tuesday(!) night (good for them!) the noise of the conversations all around drowns your own. Perhaps it's the acoustics...Special Features:
- bjosVIPDined on 10/18/2014Wow, we had the most wonderful evening here. The food was simply outstanding, the service excellent, and the wine list was extensive. We enjoyed ourselves so much and would go back here again next time we are in Boston. A real gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food = A-plus; Service = D-minusOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/18/2014It's too bad about the horrible service because it really took away from how great of a restaurant this is. Let me just say that the food was incredible. I had the monkfish, while my wife had the cod. And prior to the entrees, we had the seared foie gras, which was unreal. However because the service was so horrible, it ended up ruing our experience. We sat down, our waiter came over and asked us if we wanted bottled water or tap, then didn't see him for 20 minutes later. He took our drink order, came back in another 20 minutes, and blamed it on the bar. The end of the meal was more of the same - took forever to get the dessert (even though we ordered it at the same time as our entrees), and check. Too bad. We won't be rushing backSpecial Features:
- Provence giftLorryDined on 10/16/2014In town for a meeting we saw du Midi online before we came and made a reservation. The food ambience and service were wonderful. I would have liked to have seen a little more variety on the entree list. Lamb neck was a little too out there for me. But the choices we made, duck and beef, were good for us and beautifully presented.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/16/2014We love the downstairs bar--feels like Paris when the windows are open to the street bustle and Public Garden beauty. But the bar menu food is fabulous (they also offer the regular menu). The fried artichokes are a family favorite as are the croques. But the seasonal squash mushroom soup was fabulous--will get that again. And the cappuccino was wonderful with the hot chocolate cake for dessert. Our server was terrific. My only critique is wine prices--there really should be a few cheaper wines by the glass!Special Features:
- FoodexplorerVIPDined on 10/11/2014I took out of town girlfriends here for dinner. We had a wonderful, memorable meal. Service was excellent. Food had wonderful flavors. Although we lingered, just like Paris we never felt rushed. Thank you Bistro du Midi for a lovely time.Special Features:
- Naples1VIPDined on 10/11/2014this is by far my most favorite restaurant in Boston! Have dined here several times. I must admit the service in the beginning of the evening was a bit slow. We did arrive earlier than our reservation and that may have been the sticking point as it appeared many people arrived at the same time. The pace did pick up later on and the evening was nothing less than outstanding! It was my daughter's birthday and the server brought her a dessert w/lovely Happy Birthday in chocolate - made her day! Food was exceptional as always!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bistro Du Midi a great experienceZasoDined on 10/9/2014We were a group of 13 and everyone had a great experience with what they ordered.For sure we will come again and again.Scott our waiter was great and offered us exceptional service and was very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/8/2014What a fabulous balmy autumn evening! We ate in the bar open area overlooking the Public Garden. It was gorgeous. Plus the bar menu is excellent and the food is terrific. Don't miss the fried artichoke starter. The bread and oil are terrific, and the Croques Madame with salad is perfection. It felt like Paris. Our server was gracious, helpful, but not over-attentive so we could linger and have great conversation. My only critique was the wine price. After a cocktail I asked for a glass of the cheapest merlot--and got a $15 glass of wine. There are delicious lower priced wines; it would be good having them available when one just wants to finish off with a sip of something.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem!bricco57Dined on 10/6/2014Everyone's dish was perfect. Nothing over the top but impeccably executed. We were all impressed. I had a perfect Bouillabaisse, which is not always easy to find, and the Sommelier was friendly and generous with our budget. We closed the place; a wonderful evening!Special Features:
- Very good foodVictorDined on 10/5/2014The lamb neck was delicious! My wife and I enjoyed warm hospitality by the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic frenchmmostadDined on 10/4/2014I have had brunch and lunch at du Midi a couple of times, but dinner was something really special. The waiter was pleasant and gave good recommendations, the atmosphere was nice - vibrant, but we could still have a private conversation and the food was exquisite. I had the tuna tartar with avocado foam, the lamb and the chocolate souffle and I'm going to have a hard time ordering something else the next time I visit. The only negative I can think of is that the restaurant is fairly pricey, but value for money in my opinion.Special Features: