Bistro du Midi
272 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Bistro du Midi
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bistrodumidi.com/
- Phone: 6174267878x
- Hours of Operation:
Reservations are only accepted for dinner in the main dining room.
Lunch and dinner in the Cafe served on a walk-in basis.
5:00pm - 10:00pm Monday to Sunday
11:00pm - 3:00pm Saturday and Sunday
Our Cafe Menu is served ALL DAY Monday through Friday beginning at 11:30am, and beginning at 3:00pm Saturday and Sunday.
(Served ONLY in the Cafe and at the bar, until 10:00 Sunday - Wednesday, until 11:00 Thusday - Saturday)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Provencal, French
- Executive Chef: Robert Sisca
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our private Wine Room can accommodate groups from 10 to 25 behind handsome sliding barn doors. The room features a stunning view of Boston's public garden, original sketches by Henri Matisse against deep red walls and a window into our upstairs wine cellar. The Wine Room is a perfect option for intimate family gatherings, business meetings and celebrations of any type.
Our semi-private Matisse Alcove sits just off the main dining room with three walls around the table and the fourth side open to the dining room, providing parties of 6 to 10 guests with a more intimate dining experience while still allowing guests to enjoy the energy of the restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Sam Wolf (firstname.lastname@example.org) 6174267878x
- Special Events: As a way of sharing Bistro du Midi's passion for wine with everyone, we frequently host guest sommelier nights and private wine dinners hosted by winemakers, vineyard owners and other wine industry professionals. Please visit the Events & News section of www.bistrodumidi.com for details and updates.
- Cross Street: Arlington
- Public Transit: Bistro du Midi sits directly across from Boston's Public Garden half a block from the Arlington T station on the Green Line, on the outskirts of the fabulous Back Bay neighborhood.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet begins at 5:00. $18 per car, cash only.
A word from Bistro du Midi
Bistro du Midi is an authentic Provencal Bistro focusing on the cuisine from Menton to Marseille. We offer an extensive wine list, spectacular southern French food in a relaxed atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Bistro du Midi - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Bistro du Midi reviews from OpenTable diners
202 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (136)special occasion (134)romantic (101)notable wine list (88)scenic view (66)neighborhood gem (53)great for outdoor dining (35)good for groups (28)vibrant bar scene (22)hot spot (20)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (8)late-night find (8)Show More
- Dessert :-)OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/27/2014While the main course was very good, the chocolate soufflé was spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food poor atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014The food is nicely prepared, but the restaurant is rather shabby and overcrowded and the service is poor for a place trying this hard with its food. Which is a shame as someone in the kitchen clearly knows what they're doing. It would be nice to see a more coherent menu too, but that's a quibble.
- Great for brunch with OOT guestsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/25/2014We ate here Sunday with friends from Ireland. The service was great--perfect level of support from very pleasant & helpful staff who showed up exactly when needed but didn't hover. We sat at the bar--both guys were exceptionally nice and engaging. My dish--quiche with zucchini, goat cheese, and mushrooms with a side salad--was spot on:seasoned and cooked perfectly and truly delicious. My friend inhaled her brioche French toast with berries and lavender and raved about it afterward. My husband and 10 YO--both connoisseurs--gave the bacon a "'pass" however. This is a lovely place to meet in Boston with amazing views of the Public Garden--a perfect spot to meet out-of-town friends. The food is very good and the staff are helpful and welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Not many restaurants in Boston have southern French cuisine, and this one does all the basics plus all the extras in that style.Special Features:
- Scrumptious fine diningterpiciaDined on 10/24/2014Every dish was mouth-wateringly wonderful. Excellent service. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb experiencejtfoodieDined on 10/23/2014From soup to nuts as they say! Presentation of the food is refined. The quality of the ingredients is top notch. The dishes are nicely prepared, some on the salty side (e.g. lamb tartare). The bouillabaisse du Midi steals the show on the main menu...but the souffles steal the show on the dessert front. Do not leave without trying them! Wine list is unprecedented. But more importantly, the ambiance is fantastic. Definitely fit for special occasions.Special Features:
- Inattentive service at firstToniottDined on 10/21/2014I rarely have a complaint about du Midi. During a recent dinner, I was served the wrong dish as a starter. No biggie - was clearly a mis-communication between the server and the kitchen. The problem was that I sat there for quite some time, long enough to have eaten the whole thing if I'd so chosen, before our server came by to check on us. The correct order soon followed (and was delicious - the salad with hazelnuts). Service improved after that, but really delayed our evening. I mean, I don't mind a leisurely supper, but to sit there for at least 15 minutes with the wrong food in front of me was not good.Special Features:
- Expensive, but worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014From the appetizers to desert, food was impeccable. The service is just right - caring, polite, but not snobbish. The only concern is that because the restaurant was full on a Tuesday(!) night (good for them!) the noise of the conversations all around drowns your own. Perhaps it's the acoustics...Special Features:
- bjosVIPDined on 10/18/2014Wow, we had the most wonderful evening here. The food was simply outstanding, the service excellent, and the wine list was extensive. We enjoyed ourselves so much and would go back here again next time we are in Boston. A real gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food = A-plus; Service = D-minusOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/18/2014It's too bad about the horrible service because it really took away from how great of a restaurant this is. Let me just say that the food was incredible. I had the monkfish, while my wife had the cod. And prior to the entrees, we had the seared foie gras, which was unreal. However because the service was so horrible, it ended up ruing our experience. We sat down, our waiter came over and asked us if we wanted bottled water or tap, then didn't see him for 20 minutes later. He took our drink order, came back in another 20 minutes, and blamed it on the bar. The end of the meal was more of the same - took forever to get the dessert (even though we ordered it at the same time as our entrees), and check. Too bad. We won't be rushing backSpecial Features:
- Provence giftLorryDined on 10/16/2014In town for a meeting we saw du Midi online before we came and made a reservation. The food ambience and service were wonderful. I would have liked to have seen a little more variety on the entree list. Lamb neck was a little too out there for me. But the choices we made, duck and beef, were good for us and beautifully presented.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/16/2014We love the downstairs bar--feels like Paris when the windows are open to the street bustle and Public Garden beauty. But the bar menu food is fabulous (they also offer the regular menu). The fried artichokes are a family favorite as are the croques. But the seasonal squash mushroom soup was fabulous--will get that again. And the cappuccino was wonderful with the hot chocolate cake for dessert. Our server was terrific. My only critique is wine prices--there really should be a few cheaper wines by the glass!Special Features:
- FoodexplorerVIPDined on 10/11/2014I took out of town girlfriends here for dinner. We had a wonderful, memorable meal. Service was excellent. Food had wonderful flavors. Although we lingered, just like Paris we never felt rushed. Thank you Bistro du Midi for a lovely time.Special Features:
- Naples1VIPDined on 10/11/2014this is by far my most favorite restaurant in Boston! Have dined here several times. I must admit the service in the beginning of the evening was a bit slow. We did arrive earlier than our reservation and that may have been the sticking point as it appeared many people arrived at the same time. The pace did pick up later on and the evening was nothing less than outstanding! It was my daughter's birthday and the server brought her a dessert w/lovely Happy Birthday in chocolate - made her day! Food was exceptional as always!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bistro Du Midi a great experienceZasoDined on 10/9/2014We were a group of 13 and everyone had a great experience with what they ordered.For sure we will come again and again.Scott our waiter was great and offered us exceptional service and was very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/8/2014What a fabulous balmy autumn evening! We ate in the bar open area overlooking the Public Garden. It was gorgeous. Plus the bar menu is excellent and the food is terrific. Don't miss the fried artichoke starter. The bread and oil are terrific, and the Croques Madame with salad is perfection. It felt like Paris. Our server was gracious, helpful, but not over-attentive so we could linger and have great conversation. My only critique was the wine price. After a cocktail I asked for a glass of the cheapest merlot--and got a $15 glass of wine. There are delicious lower priced wines; it would be good having them available when one just wants to finish off with a sip of something.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem!bricco57Dined on 10/6/2014Everyone's dish was perfect. Nothing over the top but impeccably executed. We were all impressed. I had a perfect Bouillabaisse, which is not always easy to find, and the Sommelier was friendly and generous with our budget. We closed the place; a wonderful evening!Special Features:
- Very good foodVictorDined on 10/5/2014The lamb neck was delicious! My wife and I enjoyed warm hospitality by the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic frenchmmostadDined on 10/4/2014I have had brunch and lunch at du Midi a couple of times, but dinner was something really special. The waiter was pleasant and gave good recommendations, the atmosphere was nice - vibrant, but we could still have a private conversation and the food was exquisite. I had the tuna tartar with avocado foam, the lamb and the chocolate souffle and I'm going to have a hard time ordering something else the next time I visit. The only negative I can think of is that the restaurant is fairly pricey, but value for money in my opinion.Special Features:
- MarkVIPDined on 10/4/2014Accidentally or not, we were served actually by more then one person, and while we've managed to ask only Scott about his name, all of them were equally friendly, helpful, always there for us and collectively - combined, of course, with outstanding meal and vine recommendations - made our diner unforgettable. Our special compliments also go to the people we've never met - chef, manager, kitchen stuff - all of you who apparently makes the place to tick.Special Features:
- Lamb neck !!KingInkDined on 10/1/2014Never had lamb neck or seen it on menu before. It was quit wonderful. Like shanks but even more tasty. Service was great too. Our wine selection was not available so they suggested and gave us a different selection at 1/2 price. It was lovelySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/27/2014Ate with party of 6. Great service, good food. Fun restaurant but table was physically a little too big for group conversation.Special Features:
- PeteDined on 9/26/2014Service was very good as was the wine but the food was bit bland.Special Features:
- Fabulous for foodiesLamourdelamerDined on 9/26/2014Our first visit to Bistro du Midii we orderd the seven course tasting menu.... Varied seafood options prepared perfectly with savory accompaniments. Perfect modest portion sizes, packed with layers of flavor. The soufflés to finish the meal were exquisite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeTishaDined on 9/26/2014Had one of the best meals I have had in as long as I can remember. My only regret is getting the small plate of wild boar bolognese. We actually ordered a second round of events.Special Features:
- A great spot in Bostonrj81Dined on 9/25/2014We had a memorable and incredibly enjoyable meal at Bistro du Midi. The service was perfect and the food fabulous. I would highly recommend this spotSpecial Features:
- Excellent food, shame about serviceDickieDined on 9/21/2014The great food was somewhat spoiled by poor service. The sommelier disappeared after selling the wine and we ended up serving our own wine. The check was presented without being requested, whilst we were still eating and without us even do being asked if we wanted coffee! The staff were generally a bit up themselves and off hand.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerHarvestSolutionsVIPDined on 9/20/2014My wife and I along with friends of our went to this restaurant to celebrate our anniversaries. I had called earlier that day to let them know we were celebrating a special occasion. They said that would put together a dessert for us to acknowledge our anniversaries. Although the staff acknowledged our anniversary when we sat down, they never brought the dessert. Three of us ordered duck. Although the plate was hot, the duck itself was cold. We sent it back. When it was returned, it was lukewarm at best. The staff was apologetic and provided us with a complementary glass of dessert wine. I would go back but when you spend that kind of money, you expect the food to be hot.Special Features:
- Special NightMudheadDined on 9/20/2014We celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary by going to dinner at Bistro du Midi, followed by a show. I let the restaurant know that it was our anniversary in our reservation and asked if they had my husband's favorite liquor on hand so he could enjoy a drink. When we got to the restaurant, we found they took that note to heart. We had a personal note from the management wishing us a joyous night and many happy years ahead. They served us complimentary aperitifs that incorporated the same flavors of my husband's preferred drink, served him a complimentary drink when our desserts took a little too long, and wished us a happy anniversary again with our desserts. If that wasn't all enough, the food was spectacular.Special Features:
- Another Fantastic Dinner!PaulDined on 9/19/2014We returned to Bistro du Midi for another celebratory dinner and we were not disappointed. From the moment we entered the restaurant, we were treated like royalty. Our seats were comfortable with a nice view of Boston Common. We started with a pair of signature cocktails, which were great. Our appetizers and entrees were delicious and the wine was spectacular. One minor complaint - our first choice for wine was not in stock, although according to our server, the list had just been updated... Dessert (pre-ordered souffles) was a perfect crowning to a perfect evening. Our server, Olga was excellent - she was polite, friendly, courteous and engaging - really fun - she made our night. Can't wait to return!Special Features:
- great meal; wonderful wineOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/18/2014The food is great here, but the professional, attentive, and friendly staff really make the experience. The wine list is a standout, and Todd the head sommelier is absolutely the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceJMNWVIPDined on 9/15/2014Great food competent bar narrow but good wine list fabulous cuisine and attentive service, what else can one ask? Go - you will enjoy it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaureenMaureenDined on 9/13/2014Great dining experience. Food was delicious, service was great, and the sommelier was very helpful. Overall a very nice night out. We were happy diners.Special Features:
- Delicious food, great service andgeraldroyrondoeVIPDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I enjoyed another wonderful evening at Bistro du Midi. The food, the welcoming attention by the entire staff and a table overlooking the Boston Public Garden made for a wonderful evening. The menu offers an interesting selection of Crudos, small plates and a nice variety of seafood and meat choices. We had the Tea Smoked Salmon Crudo to start followed by the Monkfish and the house made Tagliatelle with Lobster and Sea Urchin sauce. Every dish was delicious. One of our favorite side dishes at Bistro du Midi is the Wild Mushroom saute. It is a mixture of of mushrooms but on this particular evening it was heavy handed with the salt which detracted from the dish.Special Features:
- marjoVIPDined on 9/13/2014A truly nice restaurant. The menu choices are varied and all of them that we have had have been outstanding. The service is also excellent and the wine and cocktail list can not be better. Place has a great atmosphere with just the right amount of noise. It is a restaurant you can have a wonderful, un rushed meal. We will be back again as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with DaughterHopkintonFoodyDined on 9/13/2014A past visit customer and this past weekend Bitro du Midi continues to be a gem. Warm greeting when you arrive, staff attentive yet "in the wings" so as not to be intrusive, food spectacular and wine wonderful. Of most importance, got to have dinner with our daughter. Can you tell we really enjoyed the visit.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/11/2014Not one to be negative (don't ask my husband), I will say that our server seemed as if on autopilot, the room was quite loud, and two members of our party asked for half portions of their main course and were served about two tablespoons of food. I'm not rushing back anytime soon!Special Features:
- Here is your wine, enjoy! Uh, wait!BradusDined on 9/6/2014I have been to this restaurant more than 10 times. Food and service is always great. This occasion was no different. The disappointing experience was with the wine. We ordered a $75 bottle of wine, which our server delivered to our table just as we were finishing our cocktails. I didn't pay much attention as the wine was presented beyond the customary taste to confirm it was good, etc. 5 minutes later, the somelier pops by to say they gave us the wrong wine by mistake; it's a $150 bottle and they need to take it away. In the meantime, "here is your wine" and they swap bottles. My view is that they should have just said "Our mistake, enjoy!" and left it at that. This decision was a bad one. The wine didn't taste good afterwards.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Excellent on this visit, but it was not crowded. Can be vey noisy when it is full.Special Features:
- GREAT FOOD, SERVICE AND AMBIANCEPBDGDined on 9/1/2014Wonderful Experience, Great Service, Food was amazing, look forward to visiting again the next time we are in Boston.Special Features: