2965 N Lincoln Ave
Chicago, IL 60657Neighborhood:
Lakeview / East Lakeview
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bistrodre.com/
- Phone: (773) 697-9067
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
A word from Bistro Dre
Cozy Lakeview spot with american/european influence for brunch and dinner. Upscale comfort food favorites presented in a rustic shared plate format. The menu changes with the seasons with choices for vegetarian/vegan also. B.Y.O.B. makes the bistro a perfect choice for intimate or group gatherings and the decor and bistro atmosphere creates a great ambience for the perfect get-together. Plates are presented with portions that can be easily shared. Belgium fries/mac and cheese/chicken and waffles/unique selections in flatbread choice and homemade desserts that are made on the premises make dining at Bistro Dre an experience that you will want to enjoy often.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Bistro Dre - Best Restaurants in Lakeview / East Lakeview ›
Bistro Dre reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (70)fit for foodies (44)good for groups (34)great for outdoor dining (21)romantic (19)special occasion (15)great for brunch (14)kid-friendly (13)hot spot (12)great for lunch (4)notable wine list (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- As always, terrific food and excellent service.GrannyDined on 11/13/2014This charming bistro never disappoints! The food (fried chicken, drunken pork chop, warm asparagus salad, charcuterie and cheese platter and Banana Bread Baked Alaska) was all superb. We love our New Yorker waiter and the wonderful owner who gives out toys to kids!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServiceMikeVIPDined on 11/8/2014Came back for brunch after having dinner last week. Sat afternoon at 3:00, 2 tables full but our server was less than atentive. Food was fine but had to ask for everything.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood placeCasDinerVIPDined on 11/6/2014Bistro Dre is a cozy place with good food, generous portions, and amiable service. It's also BYOB with no corkage fee, which is a bonus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Food FindJudithofGoldDined on 11/5/2014I like the idea of BYOB and family style dining. So my husband and 25 year old son & I went to try it on a Wed night at 7PM. When we arrived, the owner seemed distracted, thought it was not yet busy. He seated us, and we were given water. while we waited for our server, we looked around. It is a very small space, and every inch is filled with "stuff" all over the walls. lots of kitsch. The menu was very interesting, and we decided on Mac & cheese and flatbread to start. The mac & cheese was amazing, with sundried tomatoes. The flatbread with veggies and goat cheese was very good, just too much spinach. but great crispy crust. Whitefish and chicken scallopini were great, service uneven. We will give it another try.Special Features:
- Great meallocalsVIPDined on 11/2/2014I took my mom and girlfriend here this past weekend and it was a very good meal. BYOB is awesome, as it's very fitting for the restaurant. We got 3 dishes; the garden flatbead, the fried chicken dish and poutine. The flatbread had arugula, roasted garlic, tomatoes and mozzarella on it and it was fantastic. The fried chicken was exceptional, the ONLY thing I'd change is make it chicken breasts or tenders instead of thighs. The poutine was good, but at this point we were very full. Overall I'd love to go back!Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationMikeVIPDined on 11/1/2014Shared a delightful dinner with friends celebrating a couple of birthdays. Good food, good friends and pleasent service. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeDavidVIPDined on 11/1/2014One of the better meals I've had in Chicago - highly recommend for dinner
- Killer QuicheOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Went for Sat brunch. Best quiche I've ever had...fluffy and rich, nice combo of veggies. Place was packed so staff was a bit overwhelmed, but definitely going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint and deliciousJennBDined on 10/30/2014This place has comfort food done really well. With French and American fusion, everything was fantastic, the salads are plenty to share and delicious. All the enrees were fantastic, and you can't beat BYOB.Special Features:
- Bill GGriffVIPDined on 10/30/2014The food was okay except for the beet dish which was outstanding. Service was awful. I got my steak fritte and waiter said he would bring a steak knife. I waited there or four minutes staring at the meat. I ended up using the dull butter knife. Checkout watch when I asked for the check. Waited and waited. My wife left to make phone calls outside. Seven minutes before the check arrived. I've been here twice: first and last.
- Weeknight casualRugbyMomDined on 10/23/2014Service was a little slow at first and the sharing concept was not well-explained. But the waiter steered us away from ordering way too much food, so it worked out fine for us. More food than I needed but perfect amount for my partner with two starters and one entree. The apple spinach salad was very tasty. The stuffed beet is unusual--but still, basically, a big beet. Whitefish was very moist and had good flavor. The bacon pairing is different and not central to the dish. We would definitely return. Now that we know that one starter and one entree is plenty for two to share, it is a very good value.Special Features:
- WowPickyVIPDined on 10/23/2014I'm not easily wowed, but this restaurant deserves accolades! Exceptionally good and innovative food, the best service I've experienced in a long time and very reasonable prices. The entree portions are big enough to share for 2. We started with soup, had the whitefish entree and, thankfully,finished with the salty caramel drizzled over banana bread with a scoop of ice cream. Insane. Were we not rushing to theater, I probably would have licked the plate. It's a small place so make reservations so you don't miss out.Special Features:
- Fun and different, w/o being weirdjillbermanVIPDined on 10/18/2014This small place fun. Our waiter was extremely funny and good. A NY type. Many of the menu items are designed to share. Servings were very generous. One drawback is that it's BYOB (no corkage fee) and we didn't know that. So be aware. Food was superfresh, lots of selection, many healthy choices. Definitely worth a visit.Special Features:
- Great waiter, good food, too smokyAndyJVIPDined on 10/16/2014The service: our waiter was great. He was friendly & knew the menu well and seemed genuinely to care if we enjoyed the food. The food: had the beet appetizer which was ok but kind of bland. Wife had the pork chop, a huge portion with well executed risotto and a delicious sauce. I had steak frites. The steak was good but the frites were soggy and cold and seemed like they'd been sitting in the window waiting for the rest of the meal. The chocolate trio dessert was rich and plenty to share. The ambiance: The kitchen exhaust could not keep up with the cooks and the whole dining room was smoky, so we left smelling like we just cooked on the line all night. This alone will keep me from returning unless we could sit outside.Special Features:
- A Great Chicago RestaurantBrianVIPDined on 10/7/2014Great service and really good food. Creative menu provides plenty of choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service!LovethisplaceDined on 10/7/2014Our servers were helpful in explaining the concept and suggestions of popular dishes. Great sense of pride in thei chefs awesome dishes! Food was delicious and byob was a plus! Quaint neighborhood find ! We will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect eveningBernieDined on 10/4/2014When I gave the hostess my name for our reservation I glanced over at the table for two near the window and asked if we might sit there...the owner stepped in and said, "but I thought you asked for a table next to a wall?" He actually read my note on Open Table...off to a good start. The window seat is charming and cozy.... Highly recommend this table. The menu is extensive enough with sophisticated offerings. We shared the mushroom tart (delish) the steak frites (perfect) and the Banana Bread Alaska (OMG.) And the BYOB is the cherry on top. Loved it all. Our server, Maggie was delightful! Will return.Special Features:
- Quaint and funFamilyof4Dined on 10/4/2014We enjoyed an early dinner before a concert and loved this restaurant. The staff was very accommodating and the food was delicious. The desserts were to die for...Banana bread with ice cream, caramel sauce and caramel corn...Wow!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great cozy spotbuckeyegirlVIPDined on 9/27/2014Portions are tapas style. Lively and crowded. Byob niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance but food was so-soUrbanfoodieVIPDined on 9/27/2014Picked this spot due to the great yelp reviews in the area. The ambiance was great- a nice neighborhood spot with good service. The food, however, was lacking when it came to flavor. The macaroni and cheese was promised to be "the best in town" but unfortunately wasn't close. Our medium rare steak of the day came out well done. And everything needed a touch of salt. Too bad because we did love the ambiance.Special Features:
- sg2014VIPDined on 9/24/2014wide range of offerings...every thing we have tried has been exceptional...desserts, homemade by the owner's wife, are superb..very cozy, but not crowded, charming room...very pleasant and efficient service...a really fun byobSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood SpotHungryRunnerDined on 9/20/2014Great fare at Bistro Dre. Had the California Benedict served on perfect puff pastry with amazing Hollandaise. Loved the bites of banana bread served as we sat down. Very interesting menu. Looking forward to going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood JewelTwofoodiesDined on 9/13/2014We happened upon Bistro Dre for dinner before a play. It was lively but warm. The food was delicious and nicely presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood SpotLaurenDined on 8/29/2014Excellent Service & delicious food! We love this little gem, and the BYOB makes it even better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food & ServicetpainDined on 8/22/2014The chef (Andre) is excellent! Service was relaxed as in a European restaurant.Special Features:
- Love this place!Foodlover8990Dined on 8/19/2014Absolutely love this place! Great for brunch and dinner. Perfect for both dates and group dinners. Extremely reasonably priced. LOVE LOVE LOVE!Special Features:
- BirthdayKiki034Dined on 8/16/2014It was our daughters 30th, The food was fantastic!!! And our server Nathan, could not have pampered us any better! The presentation of starters/dinner dishes was awesome and the flavor of all was magnificent !! The garlic bread starter compliments every dish! The birthday dessert was the frosting on the cake! Wish I lived closer. And thanks to open table for keeping us informed.Special Features:
- We love Bistro Dre!umparrotheadVIPDined on 8/14/2014My boyfriend and I come here often on Thursdays - it is consistently wonderful and we love when Ben is our server!Special Features:
- Nice little neighborhood findOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/8/2014This place talks about how it's known for shared plates and this is so correct. Good size portions to share and lots of great options to choose from. The French onion soup was really good. We're looking forward to going back with a group and trying more food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- southern frenchbonesVIPDined on 8/3/2014Sounded like a French restaurant but more southern comfort food. The fried green tomatoes were excellent and the portions listed as small plates are generous. Bring your friends and share. It is BYOB so bring a good bottle and enjoy!! The son is the chef and the parents the owners. They make everyone feel welcomeSpecial Features:
- The following 182 reviews are from the Bistro Dre reviews archive.
- Creative Menu | Many Veggie ChoicesmbrownstoneDined on 7/24/2014We loved this neighborhood gem. Friendly wait staff who know the menu. The dishes are a creative twist on comfort food served family style, so all are intended for sharing. I can see coming back many times to work our way through all the items on the menu. We sat outside and although this is on a busy street, it did not feel like we were in the traffic like other Chicago sidewalk cafes. BYOB. Great spot for pre-theater dining -- near the Atheneum. The waiter paced our meal perfectly to get us out in time for the show.Special Features:
- ErnieVIPDined on 7/23/2014The food was very good, but the kitchen was particularly slow this mid-week evening. the owner was very apologetic and comped us a desert.Special Features:
- sg2014VIPDined on 7/23/2014my new favorite chicago restaurant...every aspect was perfectSpecial Features:
- Best secret in LakeviewLTaylorDined on 7/12/2014Maybe it's not a secret because it's always full, but Bistro Dre is charming, delicious and a great date night. There was also a lot of ladies' nights happening while we were there, so I bet that's fun too.Special Features:
- Love Bistro DreChristinaVIPDined on 7/11/2014Bistro Dre is by far one of the best BYOBs in Chicago! It has a wonderful menu, suited to fit any craving! Definitely check this place out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Find...........OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/11/2014Good service, great food and a BYOB with outside seating. What more could you ask? We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just wonderful!lalabeansVIPDined on 6/28/2014Bistro Dre is so unexpected and so wonderful! We took a group with us the second time just so we could try more. Their Belgium fries are out of this world. Enjoy as a date night or with a group and BYOB!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A memorable dinnerweh2funDined on 6/28/2014We chose Bistro Dre because of it's proximity to the Athenaeum Theater. We were very pleasantly surprised at the creativity of the menu, the friendliness of the staff and owners and the charming ambience. We especially enjoyed the way they served each item family style, so we could enjoy a portion of every dish. It would be a fun way to have dinner with a small group. The Whitefish with Quinoa, Bacon and Fennel Crust was fabulous - incredible crispy edges infused with a luscious, smoky bacon flavor. The Surf and Turf (Filet and Shrimp) was done to perfection and the steak was sliced horizontally so each of us could have plenty of the seared crust. The Banana Bread Alaska is a dessert not to be missed. We will return soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An off visitSarahVIPDined on 6/24/2014I visited Bistro Dre for the first time two weeks ago and was impressed by the incredible food and service. We loved the chicken & waffles, mac n' cheese, and spinach salad. We were so impressed that we brought our friends for the Tuesday night chicken & waffle special, only to discover their chicken dish no longer included delicious cornbread waffles. We told the waiter how disappointed we were since we had returned for that dish, and he assured us the biscuit now being served with the meal was made with the same ingredients, only in a different shape. When it arrived, the biscuit was small and tasted very different. We asked for a few extra biscuits for the table and were brought one to share between our three orders.Special Features:
- Neighborhood genJudichicagoDined on 6/7/2014Loved this small and friendly bistro. Small plates to share including fabulous pear salad and lobster bisque. Excellent fish and steak to share. Welcoming service including a chat with the owner. BYOB. A fun might out at a place to which we definitely will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.