Bistro Don Giovanni -- Napa
4110 Howard Lane
Napa, CA 94558Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Bistro Don Giovanni -- Napa
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bistrodongiovanni.com/
- Phone: 7072243300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Donna Scala
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wine
- Catering: Please contact us for catering questions.
- Private Party Facilities: Our terraces are fashioned to create two separate dining areas and are the perfect venue to entertain your family, friends or business associates.
Our fireside Terrace seats up to 45 guests. Completely enclosed and heated for winter, the French doors and garden windows are open to the Napa Valley throughout the summer.
Our Parco Terrace seats up to 25 guests and also has outdoor heaters for those breezy evenings. It has a spectacular view of the valley’s majestic mountains and our own flourishing gardens.
All private events are designed under Donna's direction to insure the most enjoyable guest experience.
- Private Party Contact: Curtis Bradford 7072243345
A word from Bistro Don Giovanni -- Napa
Bistro Don Giovanni offers a warm and inviting experience with all the personality of a Mediterranean hideaway. Chef Donna Scala’s rustic fare incorporates local fruits, vegetables, meat and fowl into traditional, fresh Italian dishes with her signature, creative flair. Freshly baked breads, local olive oil, beautiful salads, tasty appetizers and homemade pastas are inspired by the bounty of Napa Valley. Main courses offer an array of regionally sourced and highest quality creations of chicken, steaks, burgers and seafood. The bar features hundreds of Napa Valley and Italian wines as well as a host of signature cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Bistro Don Giovanni -- Napa - Best Restaurants in Napa ›
Bistro Don Giovanni -- Napa reviews from OpenTable diners
396 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (289)fit for foodies (226)great for lunch (164)special occasion (162)notable wine list (134)neighborhood gem (130)good for groups (120)romantic (113)scenic view (106)great for brunch (63)hot spot (60)kid-friendly (56)vibrant bar scene (42)late-night find (26)Show More
- Excellent as alwaysJimmymacVIPDined on 9/28/2014Definitely, one of the most reliable restaurants in the Napa Valley. Food and service are always among the best in the valley. We had the grilled Salmon served on a bed of mashed potatoes and it was excellent. The salmon was cooked to perfection and was a beautiful presentation. Also, the Patrale Sole is so good and highly recommended. The Bolognese was excellent. I don't think you will be disappointed here as they are a stalwart in the Napa Valley. We miss Donna, but the quality persists!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014A friendly restaurant with good service and enjoyable food and service. Recommended for a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014The food was delicious, and the service was fantastic. The staff was very attentive and tended promptly to our requests. Our server gave spot on suggestions based off of our preferences. We would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Inattentive service.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/26/2014Seated on the patio, we enjoyed the view of the grounds and the approach of storm clouds. The Caesar salad, hamburgers and soup were excellent. However, there was a problem with the delivery of each course. One order of tea was hot while the other delivered at exactly the same time was lukewarm. A shared salad was served with its separate plates arriving a minute later. Only three entrees were served, with the fourth requiring summonsing the waiter. A request for ketchup for a burger netted a dish holding a tablespoon each of mustard, mayonnaise and ketchup--great variety, but not enough of the red stuff to put on a burger bun.Special Features:
- Bistro Don GiovanniCaitDined on 9/25/2014I went here with two friends and we had a lot of fun. The bread was fantastic and the food service was great. All of the employees were nice. I have never been served so fast in my life. It didn't even take 5 minutes for our food to come out after we placed our order. I thoroughly enjoyed the salmon and potatoes. My friends both had the ravioli in red sauce and said it left something to be desired. My only complaint about my dish is I wish I had more. The dessert on the other hand was huge. I would definitely go back. It was raining when we went but maybe next time it will be sunny and I can look at the beautiful view in their outdoor area. It is also worth noting that they have gluten-free options for all of their pastas.Special Features:
- Amazing FoodNewFoodieDined on 9/24/2014From the moment we walked through the door we were completely surprised with the atmosphere of Bistro Don Giovanni. The outside patio was fairly full however it was such a nice night we had to eat outside. The hostess was absolutely amazing. (did not get her name) I had asked for flowers as a special request in my online reservation. I did not expect them as my request was an afterthought. To my complete and utter surprise the flowers I had requested were waiting for us! This set the tone for our entire experience. My wife and I had the daily specials. I had the rabbit, and she had the risotto. Both were absolutely perfect. I have never had rabbit before, however it was moist and had excellent flavor. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Anniversary innerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014We were given a gift certificate and used it for our 47th anniversary dinner. We ate outside nd it was very pleasant. We had a very nice dinner with dessert. We were told the menu changes Dailey but we had their ravioli 's and steak.Special Features:
- GreatfreddyperryDined on 9/22/2014We have always enjoyed Bistro Don Giovanni. I had the pasta with clams. It was wonderful. My wife had the Bistro Burger. She loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always deliversDiningMattersVIPDined on 9/20/2014Bistro Don Giovanni always delivers great food and a lovely dining experience. Casual yet professional. Outstanding linguine and claims.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ComfortableBunnyshDined on 9/19/2014The atmosphere is relaxed and casual. We ate there for dinner. Our waiter gave us plenty of time between courses. We sat outside and had a lovely view of the water fountain with a sculpture. I had the ragu, and it was a flavor sensation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CDMNUPVIPDined on 9/19/2014We can always count on good food and service here.Special Features:
- alwyas greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/19/2014I have always had very good meals here and this time was no exception.Special Features:
- Fine Dining, but Not PretentiousrevtedDined on 9/17/2014We love the setting, right in the midst of the vineyards. We also love the outstanding service we always receive. The menu keeps changing, and that's not a bad thing except when you find that one of your favorite dishes has disappeared! We prefer eating outside on the patio to eating inside, which tends to get noisier. For that reason we also go early for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cat friendly dining!DrDaveDined on 9/15/2014Delightful setting with outdoor seating as well. Thoughtfully prepared food with informed and careful service. Nice to have the interested friendly cat on premises. Adds to the charm and pleasure. I ocme to Napa 2-3 times a year to visit family and make it a point to dine here each visit.Special Features:
- Great food but cold staff..restaurantmonkeyDined on 9/13/2014I tried 5 dishes here and 4 were fantastic, the 5th was very good but not stellar. I highly recommend this restaurant for the food, which is at a very affordable price point. The only negative is that most of the staff have an air of superiority.Special Features:
- JackVIPDined on 9/13/2014Delicious ragu on the pasta. Attentive service in a beautiful setting. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A popular spotCookieVIPDined on 9/8/2014very nice, outdoor seating is lovely, food was good, service good....if you're looking for good Italian, this is the place. Carpaccio was amazing and the ravioli, done two ways, was a nice and different take on your typical ravioli.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Terrific!woohooVIPDined on 9/7/2014We love this restaurant....been coming here a couple of times a yr. for a very long time! (And it is 1 hr. 15min. from our house!) The service was outstanding, the decor is lovely and refreshing. The food was very good ...the tomato sauce on the ravioli was way too salty, but the lemon cream sauce was good. The antipasti dish was yummy, Caesar salad excellent, and the panacotta delicious. Hope to get here again soon!Special Features:
- suevVIPDined on 9/6/2014excellent dinner, outside on the patio. slow service to start. i think everyone walked in at once, but after we asked about the salads, things moved on at a good pace from there. Waiter was very nice and funny. Best ever upside down Peach semolina cake. really wanted the recipeSpecial Features:
- Never DisappointedJerrylynVIPDined on 9/6/2014Once again, Bistro Don Giovanni was fabulous. From the quiet corner table on the window line to the wonderful service by our waiter Enrique, everything was perfect! The Fritto Misto as always was delicious. We moved on to a Caesar Salad which was superb, and the entrees were Spaghetti & Clams and Rigatoni Con Polpette. Enrique was attentive and charming and the food was once again Perfecto! Thank you Bistro Don Giovanni for making our Saturday so special!!Special Features:
- A must in Napa!TrustmeIamItalianDined on 9/5/2014Great location just off 29 nestled in vines, beautiful restaurant with adorned art patio. Now let's get to the good part, the food was excellent. We had the mozzarella Di bufala and heirloom tomatoes loaded with basil, the main was wood roasted branzino which was delectable. My wife had the Fritto misto, which was a twist from the usual calamari and shrimp, including string beans, onions and celery, very tasty, her main was risotto with shrimp, delicious. We topped it off in sharing a custard,chocolate and god knows what else "parfait", rolling to the car good. Portions are bigger than expected, good wine list. Excellent service, grazie Michele!!! Overall an excellent restaurant and would recommend everyone to try. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkayLoveKittredgeDined on 9/5/2014Menu was limited. Food was okay, not great. We had higher expectations based on reviews we read. The fish had lots of bones in it after the waiter deboned it.
- Great foodRobinVIPDined on 9/4/2014Delicious heirloom tomatoes, wonderful pasta dishes, creative desserts and the best Bellini I have ever had.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/3/2014Food is great. Had a great appetizer, Figs wrapped in proscuitto (nicely crispy) stuffed with gorgonzola, yum. Patio sitting is preferable. Service is good. Certainly a good value.Special Features:
- ItalianItalianDinerVIPDined on 9/2/2014Sit outside for a great view, except that you're next to the busy roadway... Food is delicious, and this is coming from an Italian! You can also bring your own bottle of wine to enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentStevePVIPDined on 8/31/2014after many trips to Napa, finally booked a reservation for this past weekend. The food and service were truly outstanding. We accepted our waiter's recommendations for each course, and they were all wonderful. the restaurant is lovely, with a wonderful patio area. I had read about this restaurant in the San Francisco Chronicle Food and Wine section, and it lived up to its billing.Special Features:
- Best Itialian in NapaCarybicVIPDined on 8/29/2014The we the best Italian I have ad in Napa. Had Frito Misto - Fresh not one hint of oil. Shrimp risotto was cooked perfectly, just like Florence. Raviollo was heaven.Special Features:
- EDWARDVIPDined on 8/29/2014Lunch at Bistrio Don Giovanni was very good, as the Minestrone soup, Caesar salad, and shrimp risotto,were all delicious. The service was most attentive and the restaurants setting in a vineyard made for a most enjoyable lunch. Prices are reasonable at Bistro Don Giovanni and this is an excellent choice for a meal when in the Napa Valley.Special Features:
- Always consistentLindajsweetpeaVIPDined on 8/25/2014Don Giovanni has always been a favorite. Consistent, excellent food and service. One of the truly great restaurants that aims to please. Thanks for caring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2014We dined at Bistro Don Giovanni, and had a wonderful time. We will never forget the evening, as it was notable for an entirely different event-the early morning earthquake that shook us all out of our slumber. We hope to dine there again, once everything settles down in the valley. Our hearts go out to everyone, and every business affected by the quake.Special Features:
- Always greatChefknifeVIPDined on 8/23/2014You cant make it any better. You really cant - its just always perfect.Special Features:
- Elizabeth123Dined on 8/23/2014Bistro Don Giovanni is a charming, welcoming restaurant just a few miles north of Napa downtown. It has a lovely garden with patio seating, as well as beautiful interior. The tables are a bit close, but that didn't affect our utter enjoyment of our meal--the fabulous Heirloom tomato and mozzarella salad and a pepperoni pizza. All foods are organic, fresh, and local. Our waitress was sweet and helpful. I would definitely return to this gem of a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- None Better in rhe ValleyArbitratorVIPDined on 8/23/2014If you're in the mood for well prepared rustic Italian food at reasonable prices in the Napa Valley - Bistro Don Giovanni is your kind'a place. You'll find the place jammed with wine industry insiders, locals and tourists - the noise level can deafening - the service is always good - the wine list is fairly priced - and there's outside seating with a view of the vineyards. You can spend a lot more and get a lot less at some of the Valley's trendier spots.Special Features:
- Great discoveryMSPWineGuyVIPDined on 8/21/2014Tried BDG on a work trip with colleagues. Outstanding across the board. Great offerings for both food and beverage. I wish the wine selections were more extensive for the Italians but it's Napa Valley -- I get it. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fair experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 8/17/2014Nice day sitting outside. Pasta bolognese was only ok. Fritto misto was great. Tricolore only OK. Server was an uninterested guy. Italian syrah has nice. Grade B.Special Features:
- Saturday night dinnerMichaelDined on 8/16/2014Been here numerous times and it's always above par. We were seated immediately and had attentive wait staff. Our entree's were good however, not spectacular which was a little disappointing. We will still go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian gem in wine country!foodloverDined on 8/16/2014We had an amazing meal at this beautiful wine country restaurant.. The setting is lovely, with citrus & fruit trees in the garden, with a nice courtyard filled with flowers! We had a reservation and initially were given a seating inside, which is not so great, but we requested an outside one, said we should have requested when we made one, but gave us one in the intermediate patio seating area instead, so was a good compromise! The service was too slow, it took an hour for our first course to arrive, looks like our waiter may have forgotten to place our order. The food is the best part of the experience, the peach salad, lemon ravioli, risotto, margerita pizza, pannacotta and fruit crisp were absolutely delicious. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/15/2014Don Giovani's has great food and service but it's sooooo loud!!Special Features:
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/14/2014Baked chicken very good. Lemon ravioli tasted like a low calorie frozen dinner. Dessert yummy.
- deafgirlDined on 8/14/2014we went twice in a week. Loved being outdoors; not so much indoors. Food fabulous and great service.Special Features: