Bistro Don Giovanni -- Napa
4110 Howard Lane
Napa, CA 94558Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Bistro Don Giovanni -- Napa
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bistrodongiovanni.com/
- Phone: (707) 224-3300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Donna Scala
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wine
- Catering: Please contact us for catering questions.
- Private Party Facilities: Our terraces are fashioned to create two separate dining areas and are the perfect venue to entertain your family, friends or business associates.
Our fireside Terrace seats up to 45 guests. Completely enclosed and heated for winter, the French doors and garden windows are open to the Napa Valley throughout the summer.
Our Parco Terrace seats up to 25 guests and also has outdoor heaters for those breezy evenings. It has a spectacular view of the valley’s majestic mountains and our own flourishing gardens.
All private events are designed under Donna's direction to insure the most enjoyable guest experience.
- Private Party Contact: Curtis Bradford 7072243345
A word from Bistro Don Giovanni -- Napa
Bistro Don Giovanni offers a warm and inviting experience with all the personality of a Mediterranean hideaway. Chef Donna Scala’s rustic fare incorporates local fruits, vegetables, meat and fowl into traditional, fresh Italian dishes with her signature, creative flair. Freshly baked breads, local olive oil, beautiful salads, tasty appetizers and homemade pastas are inspired by the bounty of Napa Valley. Main courses offer an array of regionally sourced and highest quality creations of chicken, steaks, burgers and seafood. The bar features hundreds of Napa Valley and Italian wines as well as a host of signature cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Bistro Don Giovanni -- Napa - Best Restaurants in Napa ›
Bistro Don Giovanni -- Napa reviews from OpenTable diners
324 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (228)fit for foodies (201)special occasion (133)good for groups (115)notable wine list (114)great for lunch (113)neighborhood gem (104)romantic (91)scenic view (74)hot spot (60)vibrant bar scene (44)kid-friendly (38)great for brunch (36)late-night find (18)Show More
- Delicious MealsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/23/2014We had an outstanding meal! Our starter (grilled octopus) and soup (Salmon Chowder) were just excellent. My husband had the Branzino (mediterranean sea bass) and I had the pork chop. It was literally the best pork chop I have ever eaten! It was the most reasonably priced dinner we have ever had in Napa! Wonderful experience - we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I rememberedPS41Dined on 11/18/2014My husband and I have been here several times, and the food and service was excellent. Unfortunately, this visit was a bit disappointing. We each had a pasta dish. My husband's Bucatini was tasty. My linguini with clams was a generous portion, but was too salty and had a grittiness to it. Several times I could feel the "crunch" from sand in the dish - not pleasant. Service was just ok. It took me 5 minutes to get a waiter's attention to bring some balsamic vinegar for the bread. The restaurant is beautifully decorated.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014I have been to Bistro Don Giovanni and have had varied experiences. This time the food was awful. I ordered the bruscetta with tuna and beans. When it arrived all four pieces of toast were burned. They were so burned that you couldn't even taste the tuna and beans. Plus, they looked burned and no one stopped the cook from sending this to the table. I won't return.
- Excellent Food & Serviceluv2eatDined on 11/16/2014We enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere. A couple of us in the party arrived very early for our reservation, and we seated without a problem. The servers were very attentive, and friendly. All the dishes ordered were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always WonderfuldineoutalotDined on 11/15/2014Have eaten here many times over the last several years. I will always return to this fabulous Napa Restaurant because the food is consistently delicious. The salmon with buttermilk mashed potatoes was perfectly cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bistro D.G. has been discovered!SBRGBCAVIPDined on 11/15/2014Went on a Saturday night at 6:00 PM with Open Table secured reservations.. B.D.G. was packed and we waited twenty-minutes to be seated. Hustle, Bustle and Noise but the service and food were excellent. We're planning a return in a few days.!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Autumn Afternoon at Don Giovanni'sLuccaDined on 11/12/2014We set outside overlooking the garden fountain on a beautiful fall afternoon. Food and service were excellent. We never felt rushed. A wonderful way to soak up Napa Valley....,great good, great wine, wonderful company....What more could you ask for? Don Giovanni's is always my "go to place" for special occasions, entertaining out-of-town guests, or just treating myself. Never, in all the years of going there, have I been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarrettVIPDined on 11/10/2014We had a great lunch there yesterday. The Seasonal menu was delicious, the staff friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- Best meal on our honeymoon!MerlDined on 11/9/2014We stopped in Napa for one night on a California road trip honeymoon and were not disappointed with bistro don Giovanni. The food, wine and service were excellent. Our waiter was engaging and knowledgable. Will be back next time we are in napa!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good experienceefranDined on 11/9/2014I always recommend Don Giovanni to people who are looking for a great Italian meal. A restaurant that caters to locals as well as welcomes tourists.Special Features:
- Loved our Lunch on SundayFridayNiteDinnersVIPDined on 11/9/2014We sat on the enclosed patio where the weather was perfect and the noise much lower than inside the restaurant. The chicken was cooked in a unique sauce and was delicious. The margarita pizza from the wood fired oven was the best we've had in our survey of such foods. I had the spaghetti and clams, which had a rich broth and a generous portion that provided me with enough leftovers for an extra meal. The wine list was very reasonably priced, which was a happy surprise. Definitely a place we'll return to when we are next in Napa.Special Features:
- Great food. Terrible service.TruthInDiningDined on 11/8/2014Really good food. But terrible service. The waiter was poorly trained. He had no time for us. He practically slammed the dishes on the table and ran away before we could say anything to him.
- MarvDined on 11/6/2014An always reliable long-time Wine Country favorite over many years. Great creative Italian menu, varied carefully selected wine list, beautiful setting surrounded by vineyards, attentive service, easy to find on Highway 29, lots of parking. Highly recommended--especially as a great destination for a "day-out" from the Bay Area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- napafoodieDined on 11/5/2014Consistently one of the best restaurants in the Napa Valley.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable atmosphere and foodDME1Dined on 11/1/2014This place was recommended during our visit to Napa by some local residents. The food was excellent (particularly the chocolate truffle cake for desert) and the atmosphere was relaxed and accommodating, but at times our server seemed to forget about us (or was simply too busy to handle the volume). Generally, though, an enjoyable meal.Special Features:
- Great, as usualSethsgmaDined on 11/1/2014My husband LOVED the braised lamb shank w/polenta. I had my favorite, ravioli w/lemon cream sauce - so good!Special Features:
- FouetteFouetteDined on 10/31/2014What an amazing launch last Friday for four of us, with two out-of-town guests. My grilled octopus starter was so well-prepared with fennel that my wife cancelled her main and had the octopus instead. The pappardelle with rabbit was another terrific dish. Our server - believe her name is Miriam - was knowledgeable, helpful, attentive and sweet.Special Features:
- ExcellentLuvgoodfood2Dined on 10/29/2014We were in Napa for three nights we had dinner there our first night and loved it so much we went back there for dinner on our last night Pasta is delicious, so was the salmon,risotto Only complaint. Dinner was so good no room for dessertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experience.SacFoodieDined on 10/25/2014I'm from out of town and I have dined here once or twice a year for the last 10 years or so, and it's consistently excellent food and table service. It's a bit loud during dinner when it's a full house, but not a big deal for me because everything else makes up for it.Special Features:
- Great Pizza!lajanneyDined on 10/25/2014Had a quick bite to eat and chose the fig and Gorgonzola pizza and it was delicious! Great house red wine too! Affordable for how expensive Napa can get.Special Features:
- A NAPA contenderSusieQDined on 10/24/2014Dined here with my wife on an October Friday night. Excellent food, service, and wine. The tables are quite close and the noise level high (or festive if you like that type of atmosphere). This probably would be perfect for a group of 6-8, less so for a romantic dinner.Special Features:
- What a delight!JJ49VIPDined on 10/23/2014This is one of our favorite places when visiting Napa and it never disappoints. Food and service are wonderful - Glenn is an exceptional server and made the entire evening even more special! We brought friends to whom we had raved about the place and they loved it, too. We'll be back again when visiting this time next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummysweetieDined on 10/23/2014every dish was perfect but the fried olives blew our mindsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'd give the food 6 stars ...SushiLoverVIPDined on 10/22/2014OMG had the Fettucine with meat ragu. It was TO DIE FOR! I couldn't eat all of it there was so much, but I dreamed of it for days afterward. I actually searched for and found the recipe in a SF Gate article featuring the owner's recipe. Our service was excellent and when I was unable to polish off my meal, the chef de cuisine came out to make sure there was no problem with the food! I assured him it was delicious but I just couldn't eat it all. If I ever get back to Napa this will be a must-visit. I don't remember what my husband had but we loved loved loved this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for diningCali14Dined on 10/21/2014What a great hidden gem in the heart of Napa. Went here for my birthday, it did not disappoint.
- Great spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014This place was recommended to me by a "local" friend. We enjoyed a table for 2, outside on the deck. Great food and atmosphere. Servers were attentive but not overbearing. Great spot...would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST ITALIAN FOOD WEST OF ITALYlocaldinerDined on 10/20/2014The Italian waiter added just an extra essence of Italian flavor to the ambiance. He's from Rome. The food is always the best in the Napa Valley. It is our favorite romantic spot.Special Features:
- Great Italian FoodDiabloTonyDined on 10/20/2014We were 4 very happy "foodies." My wife adored her Scottish salmon with polenta I had a dynamite pork ragu pasta. Our berry pannacotta dessert was outstanding. Bistro Don Giovanni has been consistently outstanding for years. Our friends were equally pleased.Special Features:
- DisappointedABR18VIPDined on 10/18/2014I was very disappointed after dining at Bistro Don Giovanni in Napa. My husband and I came here based on recommendations and reviews for our anniversary dinner. The ambiance was great and we were excited with our choice when initially being seated. After ordering drinks and an appetizer, we were blatantly ignored and treated as if we weren't "as good as" (for lack of a better way to explain this) other couples and groups around us. We're not people to complain so we took this in stride and continued on to order after waiting for quite a bit of time. The food unfortunately fell right in line with the service for us. Again I hate to complain but being treated this way was extremely rude and disappointing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodSlongDined on 10/17/2014We had the whole fish and strozzspreti bologenese for our mains and the octopus and the grilled goat cheese for our starters Everything was wonderful!! I highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Reliably DeliciousSGWestonVIPDined on 10/17/2014The food and service at this restaurant have been great every time I've visited. My husband and I make a point to eat here even when we stay in Sonoma. It's totally worth the drive over the mountain. The food is always prepared to perfection, the menu is creative, and the service is excellent. We have relied on our server to suggest wine pairings and have not been disappointed. It's nice to see so many familiar faces each time we return!Special Features:
- Just like MomsHoneymoonersDined on 10/17/2014I grew up eating Italian food from both my mother and my Grandmother. the menu is here is rustic Italian with a modern flair. I ordered on of my favorite dishes growing up with the Polpette, it was so delicious and flavorful. This dish brought me back to my childhood. My wife loved my reaction to the food. The service was well paced and the menu varied for tastes. A gem to remember when we come back to California.Special Features:
- Great Food!NancyelaineDined on 10/15/2014Food was great and for a Napa restaurant, I didn't think the prices were too bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- all about the foodfishatarianDined on 10/15/2014We raved about the sole and the braised broccolini and the beet salad. All unique! The sole was crisply golden on one side, with a buttery flavor. The greens (broccoli leaves?) were perfectly done and savory. The pumpkin/pasta/white bean soup was unique and delicious. A hearty serving, too. Too bad the highway outside is so busy now. We ate outside in the back with an interesting fountain and sculptures but some road noise. The waiter delivered perfect service and has just enough Italian accent to be credible!Special Features:
- Doing it NAPAOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/12/2014Great little find in NAPA......If your Italian or just a wanabe Italian....you'll love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingeyeguyDined on 10/12/2014A wonderful place with great atmosphere and food fo a casual experience in the Napa tradition of superb food and excellent serviceSpecial Features:
- Excellent Italian food- do not missSanantoniogirlDined on 10/11/2014Excellent Italian food here!! This place came highly recommended by a local friend and it did not disappoint!! For appetizers, based on other popular reviews I read, we started out with the Fritto Misto. Then for entrees, we had the pappardelle special which was very delicious, along with the rigatoni, which came with an incredibly tender, smoky, slow-cooked portion of a baby back rib. Wow, just amazing! I loved how everything is locally sourced, and they have gluten free options as well. For dessert we shared a panna cotta and it was lovely! So light and refreshing, served with a side of delicious berries. I would highly recommend this place if you are visiting Napa- Bistro Don Giovanni is a gem and the service was top-notch!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinning experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Food was good but not great. Table was "wobbly" and twice had to stick something under legs to try to stabilize. Good wine selectionSpecial Features:
- A Great Experience!HawthornDined on 10/10/2014We all enjoyed our dinner, the experience was great from start to finish! The owner of the restaurant was charming and he really moved throughout the restaurant checking on his guests.Special Features:
- WELCOME TO TUSCANY . . . .FoodiesGaloreVIPDined on 10/10/2014The setting (inside & out) is spectacular, as it feels as though you're in Italy. The host, usually the owner (Italian) is very gracious & hospitable. The waitstaff are polished and know the product well. We shared the Grilled Octopus with frisee, potatoes, olives & chilies ($16) and it was so good, then the Beet & Haricot Verts with avocado, fennel and Roquefort vinaigrette ($12) which was incredible. We also shared the Pollo alla Diavola, a roasted Mary’s organic chicken with a corn, bacon & summer squash ragu ($25) = AMAZING, also a side order of the Tuscan Beans ($6) and at the table added salt & pepper, olive oil and a wedge of red onion = Over The Top ( just like my Italian grandparents would do :) Go and enjoy the experience !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.