Bistro Don Giovanni -- Napa
4110 Howard Lane
Napa, CA 94558Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Bistro Don Giovanni -- Napa
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bistrodongiovanni.com/
- Phone: 7072243300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Donna Scala
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wine
- Catering: Please contact us for catering questions.
- Private Party Facilities: Our terraces are fashioned to create two separate dining areas and are the perfect venue to entertain your family, friends or business associates.
Our fireside Terrace seats up to 45 guests. Completely enclosed and heated for winter, the French doors and garden windows are open to the Napa Valley throughout the summer.
Our Parco Terrace seats up to 25 guests and also has outdoor heaters for those breezy evenings. It has a spectacular view of the valley’s majestic mountains and our own flourishing gardens.
All private events are designed under Donna's direction to insure the most enjoyable guest experience.
- Private Party Contact: Curtis Bradford 7072243345
A word from Bistro Don Giovanni -- Napa
Bistro Don Giovanni offers a warm and inviting experience with all the personality of a Mediterranean hideaway. Chef Donna Scala’s rustic fare incorporates local fruits, vegetables, meat and fowl into traditional, fresh Italian dishes with her signature, creative flair. Freshly baked breads, local olive oil, beautiful salads, tasty appetizers and homemade pastas are inspired by the bounty of Napa Valley. Main courses offer an array of regionally sourced and highest quality creations of chicken, steaks, burgers and seafood. The bar features hundreds of Napa Valley and Italian wines as well as a host of signature cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Bistro Don Giovanni -- Napa - Best Restaurants in Napa ›
Bistro Don Giovanni -- Napa reviews from OpenTable diners
369 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (262)fit for foodies (218)special occasion (146)great for lunch (138)notable wine list (121)neighborhood gem (120)good for groups (117)romantic (99)scenic view (91)hot spot (62)great for brunch (51)vibrant bar scene (45)kid-friendly (43)late-night find (24)Show More
- BEST ITALIAN FOOD WEST OF ITALYlocaldinerDined on 10/20/2014The Italian waiter added just an extra essence of Italian flavor to the ambiance. He's from Rome. The food is always the best in the Napa Valley. It is our favorite romantic spot.Special Features:
- Great Italian FoodDiabloTonyDined on 10/20/2014We were 4 very happy "foodies." My wife adored her Scottish salmon with polenta I had a dynamite pork ragu pasta. Our berry pannacotta dessert was outstanding. Bistro Don Giovanni has been consistently outstanding for years. Our friends were equally pleased.Special Features:
- DisappointedABR18VIPDined on 10/18/2014I was very disappointed after dining at Bistro Don Giovanni in Napa. My husband and I came here based on recommendations and reviews for our anniversary dinner. The ambiance was great and we were excited with our choice when initially being seated. After ordering drinks and an appetizer, we were blatantly ignored and treated as if we weren't "as good as" (for lack of a better way to explain this) other couples and groups around us. We're not people to complain so we took this in stride and continued on to order after waiting for quite a bit of time. The food unfortunately fell right in line with the service for us. Again I hate to complain but being treated this way was extremely rude and disappointing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodSlongDined on 10/17/2014We had the whole fish and strozzspreti bologenese for our mains and the octopus and the grilled goat cheese for our starters Everything was wonderful!! I highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Reliably DeliciousSGWestonVIPDined on 10/17/2014The food and service at this restaurant have been great every time I've visited. My husband and I make a point to eat here even when we stay in Sonoma. It's totally worth the drive over the mountain. The food is always prepared to perfection, the menu is creative, and the service is excellent. We have relied on our server to suggest wine pairings and have not been disappointed. It's nice to see so many familiar faces each time we return!Special Features:
- Just like MomsHoneymoonersDined on 10/17/2014I grew up eating Italian food from both my mother and my Grandmother. the menu is here is rustic Italian with a modern flair. I ordered on of my favorite dishes growing up with the Polpette, it was so delicious and flavorful. This dish brought me back to my childhood. My wife loved my reaction to the food. The service was well paced and the menu varied for tastes. A gem to remember when we come back to California.Special Features:
- Great Food!NancyelaineDined on 10/15/2014Food was great and for a Napa restaurant, I didn't think the prices were too bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- all about the foodfishatarianDined on 10/15/2014We raved about the sole and the braised broccolini and the beet salad. All unique! The sole was crisply golden on one side, with a buttery flavor. The greens (broccoli leaves?) were perfectly done and savory. The pumpkin/pasta/white bean soup was unique and delicious. A hearty serving, too. Too bad the highway outside is so busy now. We ate outside in the back with an interesting fountain and sculptures but some road noise. The waiter delivered perfect service and has just enough Italian accent to be credible!Special Features:
- Doing it NAPAOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/12/2014Great little find in NAPA......If your Italian or just a wanabe Italian....you'll love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingeyeguyDined on 10/12/2014A wonderful place with great atmosphere and food fo a casual experience in the Napa tradition of superb food and excellent serviceSpecial Features:
- Excellent Italian food- do not missSanantoniogirlDined on 10/11/2014Excellent Italian food here!! This place came highly recommended by a local friend and it did not disappoint!! For appetizers, based on other popular reviews I read, we started out with the Fritto Misto. Then for entrees, we had the pappardelle special which was very delicious, along with the rigatoni, which came with an incredibly tender, smoky, slow-cooked portion of a baby back rib. Wow, just amazing! I loved how everything is locally sourced, and they have gluten free options as well. For dessert we shared a panna cotta and it was lovely! So light and refreshing, served with a side of delicious berries. I would highly recommend this place if you are visiting Napa- Bistro Don Giovanni is a gem and the service was top-notch!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinning experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Food was good but not great. Table was "wobbly" and twice had to stick something under legs to try to stabilize. Good wine selectionSpecial Features:
- A Great Experience!HawthornDined on 10/10/2014We all enjoyed our dinner, the experience was great from start to finish! The owner of the restaurant was charming and he really moved throughout the restaurant checking on his guests.Special Features:
- WELCOME TO TUSCANY . . . .FoodiesGaloreVIPDined on 10/10/2014The setting (inside & out) is spectacular, as it feels as though you're in Italy. The host, usually the owner (Italian) is very gracious & hospitable. The waitstaff are polished and know the product well. We shared the Grilled Octopus with frisee, potatoes, olives & chilies ($16) and it was so good, then the Beet & Haricot Verts with avocado, fennel and Roquefort vinaigrette ($12) which was incredible. We also shared the Pollo alla Diavola, a roasted Mary’s organic chicken with a corn, bacon & summer squash ragu ($25) = AMAZING, also a side order of the Tuscan Beans ($6) and at the table added salt & pepper, olive oil and a wedge of red onion = Over The Top ( just like my Italian grandparents would do :) Go and enjoy the experience !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!DerylDined on 10/10/2014Great atmosphere, excellent food, wine list and service! Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem in NapaNyprincessDined on 10/6/2014The restaurant is quaint and reminded me of a place you would find in Italy. Our experience was mixed. The service being what drew away from receiving 5 Stars. The food was excellent, from the presentation, portion size and taste! I found the service from our main server to be cold and detached. He provided the basics, but I don't think he smiled once during our visit. Suddenly a different server came to clear our plates and offer dessert without a mention of our previous server. It is customary for restaurants to " break" staff or even release them and allocate the gratuity accordingly but I found the lack of communication off putting even if I preferred the 2nd server over the first. All in all a pleasant time!Special Features:
- ZmanZmanDined on 10/5/2014Watch out for the appetizers, you'll be full before you know it. We enjoy our first evening in Napa, sitting back with a glass of wine and deciding what to have for dinner. On the recommendation of our friendly server, we shared the calamari and flat bread pizza with caramelized onions, plums and Gorgonzola cheese. Both were incredible and quite filling. We had no idea the flat bread would be so large, but we were delighted by it's taste and devoured it with no regrets. The only regret was that we wanted to try a pasta dish, bit were too full. But, there was room for dessert and we hit the jack pot with the Trifole. Terrific! We'll be back.Special Features:
- You'll love it!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/5/2014Best Italian dining in the Napa area!! If you love Italy, you;ll love the restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fud & depth on menu 4 veggiesRonnieDined on 10/4/2014Really nice food and service. Daughter is a veggie, so have had problems with this constraint. DG did a smashing job, with plenty of veggies choices :0)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we went here.WineladyDined on 10/4/2014We really love this restaurant. It has great ambience lake and Italian bistro. It has a lot of hustle and bustle but yet the service is personal and very friendly. Our waiter Jose was excellent, even though he was very busy he took very good care of us. The food was delicious, especially the chicken and the meatballs with homemade pasta was very special. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uncalled for experience ...RraCDined on 10/4/2014... it is mostly amusing to see how a mishap in an order is handled by a restaurant. I had ordered the daily special, a fettuccini with mushrooms ... when the dish came, they served me a pumpkin ravioli ... I was stumped and started slowly eating the dish and did not say anything for a few minutes ... until a waiter bent down over my shoulder and apologized and said that that plate was not the dish I had ordered, that dish had gone to someone else and was the last one ... he told me I could order anything on the menu, which I did ... and urged me and my table guests to make the wrong dish a tasting for everyone ... I was handled superbly ... and everyone dish was top notch ... overall a great experience ... again ...Special Features:
- Bad TableFauffyDined on 10/3/2014We had an extremely small table for two in the middle of the restaurant. Very uncomfortable chairs; table was so small we could not share our appetizers! Service and food were average. Somebody has to get the bad table and unfortunately it was us that evening. Ask for a booth or a table with comfortable chairs. We will not go back when we visit Napa again.Special Features:
- Good as always!ElleJayVIPDined on 10/3/2014Bistro Don Giovanni is just a great place to go. The food is always excellent, consistently so. The wait staff is attentive - at just the right level - friendly and personable. The menu is the right size with excellent and always a few really different offerings. This is a place that will never grow passé..,it's just too good on every levelSpecial Features:
- Outstanding Pasta Dishes!!YooperGirlDined on 10/2/2014Our group of 4 each ordered a different pasta dish and they were all wonderful. Homemade and fresh!! The pappardelle was the favorite (wide noodles with rabbit ragou) and the ravioli with lemon butter sauce melted in your mouth. Great service with personable wait staff. A wonderful, intimate dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysJimmymacVIPDined on 9/28/2014Definitely, one of the most reliable restaurants in the Napa Valley. Food and service are always among the best in the valley. We had the grilled Salmon served on a bed of mashed potatoes and it was excellent. The salmon was cooked to perfection and was a beautiful presentation. Also, the Patrale Sole is so good and highly recommended. The Bolognese was excellent. I don't think you will be disappointed here as they are a stalwart in the Napa Valley. We miss Donna, but the quality persists!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/28/2014Dinner there Sunday at 5 PM. Arrived early though made reservations. Restaurant was quiet at that time so thought reservations were not needed at that time. How wrong we were! The place filled up after wine tasting at the many wineries closed. From the attentive front desk to the water person and then our server, things could not have been better! Despite the restaurant being packed with people waiting, our service was stellar, food was prompt and we felt as if we were in a much more intimate setting. We can see why people flock here after their various Napa wine experiences!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014A friendly restaurant with good service and enjoyable food and service. Recommended for a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014The food was delicious, and the service was fantastic. The staff was very attentive and tended promptly to our requests. Our server gave spot on suggestions based off of our preferences. We would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Inattentive service.1slowfoodieDined on 9/26/2014Seated on the patio, we enjoyed the view of the grounds and the approach of storm clouds. The Caesar salad, hamburgers and soup were excellent. However, there was a problem with the delivery of each course. One order of tea was hot while the other delivered at exactly the same time was lukewarm. A shared salad was served with its separate plates arriving a minute later. Only three entrees were served, with the fourth requiring summonsing the waiter. A request for ketchup for a burger netted a dish holding a tablespoon each of mustard, mayonnaise and ketchup--great variety, but not enough of the red stuff to put on a burger bun.Special Features:
- Bistro Don GiovanniCaitVIPDined on 9/25/2014I went here with two friends and we had a lot of fun. The bread was fantastic and the food service was great. All of the employees were nice. I have never been served so fast in my life. It didn't even take 5 minutes for our food to come out after we placed our order. I thoroughly enjoyed the salmon and potatoes. My friends both had the ravioli in red sauce and said it left something to be desired. My only complaint about my dish is I wish I had more. The dessert on the other hand was huge. I would definitely go back. It was raining when we went but maybe next time it will be sunny and I can look at the beautiful view in their outdoor area. It is also worth noting that they have gluten-free options for all of their pastas.Special Features:
- Amazing FoodNewFoodieDined on 9/24/2014From the moment we walked through the door we were completely surprised with the atmosphere of Bistro Don Giovanni. The outside patio was fairly full however it was such a nice night we had to eat outside. The hostess was absolutely amazing. (did not get her name) I had asked for flowers as a special request in my online reservation. I did not expect them as my request was an afterthought. To my complete and utter surprise the flowers I had requested were waiting for us! This set the tone for our entire experience. My wife and I had the daily specials. I had the rabbit, and she had the risotto. Both were absolutely perfect. I have never had rabbit before, however it was moist and had excellent flavor. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Anniversary innerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014We were given a gift certificate and used it for our 47th anniversary dinner. We ate outside nd it was very pleasant. We had a very nice dinner with dessert. We were told the menu changes Dailey but we had their ravioli 's and steak.Special Features:
- Another winner!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/23/2014We usually begin our yearly visit to the wine country with lunch at Bistro Don Giovanni. Again we were not disappointed. We had a lovely leisurely lunch of outstanding food and wine.Special Features:
- GreatfreddyperryDined on 9/22/2014We have always enjoyed Bistro Don Giovanni. I had the pasta with clams. It was wonderful. My wife had the Bistro Burger. She loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always deliversDiningMattersVIPDined on 9/20/2014Bistro Don Giovanni always delivers great food and a lovely dining experience. Casual yet professional. Outstanding linguine and claims.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ComfortableBunnyshDined on 9/19/2014The atmosphere is relaxed and casual. We ate there for dinner. Our waiter gave us plenty of time between courses. We sat outside and had a lovely view of the water fountain with a sculpture. I had the ragu, and it was a flavor sensation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CDMNUPVIPDined on 9/19/2014We can always count on good food and service here.Special Features:
- alwyas greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/19/2014I have always had very good meals here and this time was no exception.Special Features:
- Fine Dining, but Not PretentiousrevtedDined on 9/17/2014We love the setting, right in the midst of the vineyards. We also love the outstanding service we always receive. The menu keeps changing, and that's not a bad thing except when you find that one of your favorite dishes has disappeared! We prefer eating outside on the patio to eating inside, which tends to get noisier. For that reason we also go early for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cat friendly dining!DrDaveDined on 9/15/2014Delightful setting with outdoor seating as well. Thoughtfully prepared food with informed and careful service. Nice to have the interested friendly cat on premises. Adds to the charm and pleasure. I ocme to Napa 2-3 times a year to visit family and make it a point to dine here each visit.Special Features: