518 10th St NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://bistrodoc.com/
- Phone: 2023935444
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 8:30pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Bistro d'OC
Bistro d'OC is a casual French restaurant located in downtown DC. We serve specialties from the Languedoc region of France, as well as typical French bistro fare. We are family-owned and operated, and serve high quality food at a moderate price.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bistro d'OC reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (59)fit for foodies (49)romantic (33)great for lunch (30)special occasion (30)notable wine list (17)good for groups (14)great for brunch (8)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- After movie dinnerlilgayleDined on 8/23/2014Close to E st. Cinema. Generally pleasing place food is good, some excellent. French menu drawing on traditions of Languedoc. Oddly the a/c is cranked even on a very moderate evening. Do not sit at front table past the bar. Soo cooold My trout was superb while accompanying pasta was bland A comfortable place where noise level is acceptableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic French FoodttcrewsDined on 8/20/2014We just returned from a week in Paris and this restaurant could have been transported from a back street in the Marais. Great bread, tasty sauces, wines from the region (hence the OC) and good service made for an enjoyable evening. I had the housemade sausage (slightly spicy) my spouse had mussels with a tarragon cream sauce (both were specials) and our teen son had the flank steak. Due to our own error, we arrived one hour late for our reservation, but were treated courteously and promptly seated. We received good advice on wine selection. Although busy on a Wednesday night, the restaurant was not full. The tin ceiling contributes to a noisy atmosphere but for good (sometimes loud) evening with friends, this would be perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- is it okOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014the food was good, decent list of appetizers. I like big open restaurants, this place a bit too small, it could get noisy and hot.Special Features:
- Not recommendedCommensalDined on 8/12/2014Convenient location and interesting-looking menu. But the food was mediocre and the service indifferent.
- office lunchrebeccaofdcVIPDined on 8/12/2014Food is consistently good.....has been for many years. Great neighborhood gem. I have been coming for many years....long before Penn Quarter was an "in" place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/5/2014We had another wonderful dinner here. Great menu selection, timing of courses, knowlegable service, etc. Great little lower key place away from the crowds and rushed service.Special Features:
- ArtHVIPDined on 8/5/2014The Bistro d'OC is one of my favorite DC restaurants. Authentic French at a reasonable price, in a comfortable, unpretentious atmosphere. And as an added bonus - a good wine list with reasonable prices! I really enjoyed the escargots and the cassoulet. So if you are looking to get away from "fancy" to "comfortable," This is the place for you!Special Features:
- dinahpVBCanaryDined on 8/2/2014This is a cozy little Bistro and truly French. The food was fabulous! I had the French onion soup which was wonderful and cheesy, the crispy duck was tender and full of flavor, and the best crème brulee! Totally delicious. They could use some extra help or tweaking of wait staff. They seemed to be short staffed, although very friendly. I will definitely return and recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousAtownOriginalDined on 8/1/2014The food was amazing. I had the tack of lamb and warm goat cheese salad, both of which were superb. Kinda felt like the waitstaff was rushing us out, even though it was empty. But they were attentive and helpful nonetheless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming and excellentTielb214Dined on 7/31/2014Quaint and charming restaurant - excellent food. Service was a little slow as the restaurant filled up. Would definitely visit again!Special Features:
- great mealCharlesDined on 7/30/2014This is a charming, relaxed Bistro with traditional Languedoc regional dishes. We had a dinner party for my daughter's 21st birthday. The wines were very nice and reasonable, and the food was excellent. We had a range of dishes, ranging from Duck confit and hanger steak to the saute'ed sheep brains and the veal kidneys. All dishes were outstanding, and the prices were very reasonable. I highly recommend Bistro d'OC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/29/2014The ambiance is intimate and the food is delicious.Special Features:
- DisappointingDavidDined on 7/28/2014I've been to Bistro d'oc three times now. The first time was a great experience for both food and service, but the second and third times were very disappointing. The service was lousy - each time our orders came out wrong - and the food has gotten significantly worse. This time, with my family it was just awful and a horrible value for any amount of money. Everything was just bad. I'm very disappointed because this place has so much potential and it has been good in the past. This place is right in the neighborhood of where I work, but sadly I will look elsewhere for my bistro fix.
- Excellent....as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/24/2014My co-workers took me out for a birthday lunch. Every time we go to Bistro d'OC the service is attentive and timely, the food is always top notch, and the ambiance is "just right". btw-Try the French Onion soup. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Not a real Languedoc cuisineBerengereDined on 7/20/2014My husband a I are native from south of France , from languedoc. Do you find basmati Rice in languedoc? The service was poor They proposed us dessert while we were eating our confit de canard (nb confit de canard os from "midi pyrennees and not from langiedoc) because they were hurry to close ... Not si good ...Special Features:
- MaryFromArlingtonDined on 7/15/2014My daughter and I chose Bistro D'Oc for their fixed price theater special before we went to a show at the Warner Theater- $25 per person includes a glass of wine, soup or salad, and a dessert . The back of the restaurant was very noisy. Eventually we sat in the front section, very pretty, but had to be quite adamant with the hostess. The food was what you would expect for the price. My daughter's salmon with red peppers was nice, my pork chop with sweet potatoes was also nice and not tough as I saw another reviewer comment. Appetizers and desserts were disappointing. My daughter's "salad" was a bowl of lettuce although the dressing was quite good. Desserts were not homemade and cheaply made. Service was too quick not letting us finish.Special Features:
- Delicious and outstanding serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/12/2014I went to Bistro D'OC with a group of ten for a later dinner on Saturday night. The restaurant is small, lovely and has a romantic vibe. The serves was outstanding. Very thoughtful and friendly. The food was delicious. It was a great dining experience.Special Features:
- MichaelBVIPDined on 7/5/2014Excellent food and friendly staff & owner! However, the service felt a bit rushed -- as if they were trying to get us out of the restaurant as quickly as possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Under my expectationsAugustoDined on 6/27/2014All the previous comments made me think that Bistro d'OC would be an actual French restaurant in DC. However, the restaurant was under my expectation. I lived in Toulouse for 5 years and I know exactly what the food from that region looks like and how the service in a French restaurant should be. I ordered a Salmon and it came with rice. NEVER in my life, I had or saw rice in a French dish. The salmon was OK. Also, my food was served in a dessert dish. And every five minutes the server was coming to ask if we were done. I couldn't even have a normal conversation with my girlfriend because he was interrupting us all the time. I would expect that kind of service in pub or an American restaurant but not in a French one.Special Features:
- Staff very accomodatingjoandinesVIPDined on 6/27/2014We had a very short window of time from when the restaurant opened until we had to be across the street at the Ford's Theater. The staff bent over backwards so that we could make it on time.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/26/2014This is not a review, but a comment. When we arrived, the restaurant had no record of our reservation. Fortunately, it was not crowded, and they were able to accommodate us immediately. But it was a disappointment and a mark against Open Table.
- Very European FeelWRoegeDined on 6/24/2014Had a very enjoyable lunch with a friend at Bisto d'OC. First time at this restaurant. We were seated right away and service was right on the spot. The lunch specials were on a whiteboard brought to the table, definitely gave the feel of France. Both of us chose salmon over greens with some fruit and tomatoes. Plenty of well prepared fish and overall a tasty, light lunch. Were not rushed and we were able to talk in a normal voice. Lunch prices were very reasonable. We thoroughly enjoyed the meal and will likely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnifique!KelleysVIPDined on 6/21/2014What a welcoming staff! And the food outstanding. Warm, intimate atmosphere and the menu varied for all tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French comfort foodLucullusDined on 6/21/2014I've been enjoying this restaurant for more than ten years. It is consistently good and reminds me of a village restaurant in Languedoc. Very laid back. There are enough specials to let even non-francophils enjoy this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic and lovelychowhoundDined on 6/18/2014If you're ready to forget your waistline, go to Bistro D'Oc. They have those fabulous, fatty French classics, such as Duck Confit, Cassoulet, sausauges, foie gras and pommes frites galore, all delicious and satisfying. The atmosphere is gorgeous, just perfect for a romantic evening.Special Features:
- Lovely Small French BistroLadyRowerVIPDined on 6/7/2014In the middle of all the hustle and bustle of DC this quant Bistro serves delicious food by friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/5/2014This restaurant is a place where one gets good friendly service, interesting and well-prepared food, and can feel at home in the middle of Washington.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatericindcDined on 5/29/2014One of my favorites in DC, and without s doubt my favorite French place. Traditional southern French food with a sprinkling of southeast Asian influenced dishes. Every dish I've ever had was really well done and interesting. The wine list is well curated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, but quietCJ2345VIPDined on 5/25/2014If you are looking for a place to have a conversation with your meal, you've found it. We were the only party there on a Sunday night, and they didn't have any background music. Made it slightly odd. However, the food and service were delicious, which is the important thing.
- One of Washington's bestProbStatDined on 5/20/2014A quiet, intimate restaurant with old world charm. The Occitan menu -- similar to, but distinctly different from traditional French -- offers a different perspective on many familiar flavors, as well as a few ingredients you might not be familiar with. Bistro D'Oc manages convincingly to impart the sense of a small French town in the heart of Washington's busy tourist district.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingHereForThreeVIPDined on 5/16/2014I had high hopes but my experience at Bistro D'OC was disappointing. The waiter was so low energy as to be almost non-verbal. The squash soup and chicken on the pre-theatre menu were so simply prepared - puréed squash with a spice or two and chunks of chicken in a sauce - that I couldn't sustain much enthusiasm after the third bite for either. If they're going to give subpar food for the pre-theatre menu, which misleadingly seems like a good value at $25, they should be clearer. Since the chicken dish contained no vegetables, I ordered a side of haricot verts, which weren't bad but we're delivered 15 minutes after the chicken after I was nearly done. The strawberry dessert was OK but I was rushing out to the show by then. Avoid.
- Never order an angus burgerMatineeDined on 5/16/2014We choose this place because we had matinee tickets for Ford's theater across the street We ordered a lunch special angus burger with fries or salad I ordered mine medium rare ; my friend ordered medium. Then I cut my burger in half and took one bite it was unbelievably dry ! My friend enjoyed her salad then found her burger was burnt. When we finally caught the attention of the server and complained and said this terrible. She got someone in management who said since my friend had eaten almost half there was nothing she could do I went on eating my fries when the bill came I questioned it should there be an adjustment? Finally she came back and presented a bill with half off one order and full charge for mine
- great steak before a performancefoodieDined on 5/15/2014We had an hour before our show, but the waiter asked us in advance if we were in a hurry. He made sure that the kitchen was aware of our tight schedule, and the steak frites that came out was absolutely delicious. I'd been for a leisurely lunch before, but next time, I would like to try some of their many specials and focus on the kitchen's talents.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReliableOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2014We have been to Bistro d'OC many times and we are never disappointed. I often get the mussels, which are always perfect. My husband says that it has the juiciest roast chicken (even the white meat). We will return
- Very average food, but good wine.CarolDined on 5/11/2014I prefer Bistro du Coin's food over this place. I won't return.Special Features:
- Great spotAlexandriaDinerDined on 5/10/2014I've said it before on this site - Bistro D'Oc is a solid spot. Food is very good - and this is from someone who is pretty picky. I've been there twice now and each time got great service and stellar food for a reasonable price. Personally, I love the ambience - nice, but not stuffy, a little casual, but clean and with character. If you're looking for something super-trendy this is probably not it. This is a solid restaurant - comfortable in its own shoes, unpretentious. The menu is fresh and inventive but not gimmicky and too clever. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Always terrific!!!!!!mangiabeneVIPDined on 5/10/2014We go to the Bistro d'Oc every time we're going to a play or movie in the neighborhood. This time we took out daughter and her husband and they loved it. He tried the salmon in red curry sauce and she had the green curry chicken dish while we had the Amish hen and duck breast. Being foodies, we all shared bites of our entrees and agreed each was spectacular. Can't recommend this place highly enough!Special Features:
- Best Food Hands DownMissADined on 5/10/2014The food is the thing at this restaurant. Hands down the best French food that I have had, maybe ever. The salmon was perfect and all the sauces were the real deal. You know you are probably going to get good food from the first bite into the bread - which can be misleading at times but not here. Casual atmosphere makes it fun and relaxing too. Even though the server could have been more helpful I give it outstanding overall because the food was just that good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/7/2014We have been coming here for years and have always appreciated the delicious food and the selection of all of our favorite French bistro food.Special Features:
- Ford Theater DinningOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/7/2014This was my fourth time at Bistro d'OC and each time the food and service has been superb. The owner is directly involved; she beautifully (in every sense of the word) monitors and guides your dinning experience to ensure you have a memorable moment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.