Bistro des Amis
2347 University Blvd
Houston, TX 77005Neighborhood:
W. University / Med Center
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Bistro des Amis
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bistrodesamis.com/
- Phone: 7133498441x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 5:00 to 9:00; Friday and Saturday 4:00 to 10:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Dioron Ong
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Cafe, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Yes we cater! Please call for more information 713-349-8441
- Private Party Facilities: Tuesday - Saturday we offer a private room that seats 20, available upon reservation.
Sunday - Monday the full restaurant is available and seats 50.
- Private Party Contact: Dioron Ong or Doug See 713-349-8441x
A word from Bistro des Amis
Casual French restaurant Bistro des Amis offers elements of fine dining service and food in a casual environment. Come as you are, and expect to enjoy comfort foods at this terrific restaurant. Try the weekly 3 course dinner special for only $33.00. A la carte menu available. We have a wine and beer list that is constantly evolving and is priced very aggressively. You can also bring your own bottle.Indoor outdoor dining. Best patio in the village. Wi-Fi available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Bistro des Amis - Best Restaurants in W. University / Med Center ›
Bistro des Amis reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (34)fit for foodies (26)romantic (24)great for outdoor dining (18)special occasion (17)notable wine list (14)great for lunch (3)good for groups (3)great for brunch (2)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- very frenchLadybugVIPDined on 9/26/2014Excellent, very French restaurant, quaint and romantic, very pleasant. Excellent service. Food is delicious, however portions are small. The beef bourgonuine sauce was wonderful, although the beef was small and just a bit overcooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed reviewSandiGDined on 9/24/2014Our shared salad was bitter and not good enough for two people to finish. My duck was good; however, the sauce that accompanied it was placed as a thin design on the plate and not enough to enjoy on the duck My husbands meal was very good: Beef bouginon.
- OverpricedAguiarVIPDined on 9/19/2014I ordered a fish dish, my wife ordered just a soup and salad. I paid $ 140. The food quality was only OK. It was not worth what they charged me. They sat me at a table which was in the middle of the waiters' "work area". I asked for a different table, even though they had a few empty tables, but they said they were reserved. I was one of the last to leave the restaurant and nobody sat at the tables. I waited a long time for the valet guy, nobody showed up to pick up my car, so I self parked. The Kazakhstani server was very efficient and polite. I will not come back.Special Features:
- What a wonderful anniversary mealFrenchfoodiesDined on 9/4/2014If we closed our eyes, we could imagine we were really at a Paris sidewalk cafe. We were delighted with relaxed and friendly staff, great food, and a location that let us watch a neighborhood street scene. Of the four French restaurants we're tried within the last year, this is our favorite. The wine list had many reasonable wines, and our server could talk intelligently about all our options. Can't wait to go back when it's a bit cooler and eat outside!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jjjjDined on 9/3/2014Personal and accommodating service. Very good food. First visit. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A petit French gem in HoustonGVYVDined on 8/28/2014The place is like a little house, small tables, homey ambience, very French. We went here for a birthday celebration and had a wonderful evening. The owner/chef came out and talked with us for a while, wonderful experience to here about how they came to be and where to go in Paris (birthday girl will be heading there soon). The food tasted amazing and the presentation was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent French without fou fouMerlinDined on 8/23/2014Excellent menu, showing the influence of the executive chefs Classical training. BYO available. Great arrangement if the dining room. Owners are very much in evidence. We will be back many times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nicekcmd1Dined on 8/23/2014Restaurant weeks menu was excellent, service was quite good, wine recommendation was just rightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No masNadamas2Dined on 8/21/2014We have been there 4-5 times and the food was good. This tine the food quality was average at best and the service was terrible. Disorganized and arrogant waiter. Not sure we will go back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/21/2014We will never return to this restaurant. We had a wheelchair, told the restaurant staff prior to going to the restaurant, but when we got to the restaurant there were chairs piled at the top of the ramp in the pathway. We had to clear a path to enter the restaurant. Our table had been set, but, evidently, no one had cleaned it off. The service was very slow, we had to pour our own wine, and the food seemed like it had been setting around for a while. It was overcooked and very dry.
- Mixed ThoughtsHoustonVisitorDined on 8/21/2014Very good food and nice staff, but the atmosphere was lacking for high end French cuisine. No table cloths and rustic-at-best decorations detracted from what was actually a good meal. The patio looked to be a great place when its not summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food/not so good winelovetoeatDined on 8/20/2014The food was delicious, service was great, but the wine was not so good. We told the manager our wine tasted 'off' and he did not offer to taste it himself, exchange it, or comp it. I'd like to note this was our 2nd bottle so it's not like we were trying for a freebie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinnerdinerDined on 8/19/2014We went to Des Amis for a restaurant week dinner. It was our first time there. We had a lovely meal and the servers, also owner, were very friendly and took very good care of us. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authenticangie2Dined on 8/14/2014I took a friend from France and she said the food was very authentic cuisine. I had amazing three course dinner and a glass of wine for a great price and the atmosphere is quaint. Great flavors and will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- texasgirlDined on 8/14/2014We had a 6:00 p.m. reservation on a Thursday. The dining area (in the front) was not very big. We were seated at a table for 2, which was fine. Our waiter was very knowledgeable about the menu and did offer the menu for the 3 course dinner at $35.00. The cucumber soup was very good. The entrees were good and presented nicely. I got the Nutella Crepes; they were okay, but probably would not order them again. We left about 7:45 p.m.. They did not seem busy that night, so the noise level was quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous HRW menu!hrwfoodieDined on 8/8/2014The HRW menu was delicious, especially the chocolate brioche bread pudding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful service and great foodTamaVIPDined on 8/6/2014We enjoyed meeting the chef. She is well trained and out of Canada. She is a true French chef-trained in everything French. We loved our salads, entrée and dessert. We had special attention from the wait staff and we love the small intimate dining experience. These place has gone through 3-4 owners and this is the best experience now. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A PleasureJanKVIPDined on 8/2/2014Bistro is always a pleasure. Their new menu has excellent choices--the poulet paillard is a favorite as is the beef bourguinon--and the wine list is quite good with very fair pricing.Special Features:
- Excellent Meal in the VillageNormVIPDined on 8/2/2014A little bit off the beaten path of the Rice Village. Excellent meal and atmosphere. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014Pleasant place for neighborhood dinner, not a destination. the Boef bourgignone was disappointing, not much of a wine sauce, one pearl onion, not what you would expect in Beaune. the duck confit was spot on howeverSpecial Features:
- Overall, good experienceAlamoFoodieDined on 7/25/2014We've been there twice for dinner with a fairly large group. Both times the service was outstanding. The menu offers sufficient choices for the hungry and the not-so. The food is fine if you're looking for basic French food but if you are a French foodie, you won't find the more than one or two innovative dishes such as you'd find in France. There is a salmon appetizer that comes close. Gotta give them credit and encouragement to keep trying.Special Features:
- The following 289 reviews are from the Bistro des Amis reviews archive.
- Like a BFF Who Cooks...really wellMariequeenbeeVIPDined on 6/11/2014Just as the name implies. You're treated like a friend ...from the waiter who was a dear for patiently balancing my friend's desire to gobble and run ...to my other friend's habit of savoring the moment ... To the Fois Gras ...I was talking and missed an op to nibble. Yes it was reportedly that good. The friends had the Scallop dish which had a lovely presentation. I had a yummy French Chardonnay. The house salad which was huge and the Poutine which are habit forming. The only disappointment was I so hoped for a Gallette on the dessert menu 😄Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good service, good foodTamaVIPDined on 6/7/2014My cousins were in town and enjoy Houston restaurants when they come. We did enjoy the ambiance Bistro des Amis. Loved the scallops and the French beef borgenaise. The French opinion soup and tomato basil soup are outstanding. The best dessert is the apple crisp. The cheese appetizer plate was tasty as well as the mushroom pastry. Enjoyed bringing our own wine and bought another bottle that complimented our choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome service!ARZ23Dined on 5/29/2014If you haven't tried this restaurant, place it on your list! The service is outstanding, the food is great and the staff is very knowledgeable. Kayla was our waitress and she is top notch!!! Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Under new management????orpheus32Dined on 5/23/2014We have been to this place several times. It was our place where we fell in love. So, we returned for our 1 year anniversary dinner. Many things had changed. The outdoor dining was the same, but you had to ask for bread, and the wine and food menus have been reduced and cost more. Food still tasted good, but menu was very limited. Not a big fan. Either it's the same people doing things differently (not good different) or new people going in a mainstream direction. A once neighborhood gem has become surprisingly mainstream.
- New owners, same lovely placeJanKVIPDined on 5/17/2014The new owners of Bistro des Amis have retained the warm and friendly atmosphere and have made some very nice additions to the menu. We had the escargots, the beef bourguignon, and the chicken with arugula. Very enjoyable. The pace was relaxed and very European, we were able to sit on the terrace and enjoy the nice evening, and we will definitely be back soon.Special Features:
- Perfect Sunday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014Great food and great atmosphere in this quaint Rice Village French restaurant. Turns out Opentable didn't send them this reservation in error (wasn't on their dashboard) but they gladly accommodated us anyway. Would definitely go there again.Special Features:
- Great for high price and ok serviceDocdineDined on 5/11/2014Spent Mother's Day brunch here, with a 3 course menus brunch. Pretty much too pricey (45) dollars for brunch that did not include drinks, etc...But heck, it was Mother's Day! The first person to greet us was not very accommodating, as well as looked a bit upset that we were a party of six (though this was on our reservation). The menu choices were very limited, and they could not accommodate any special needs, or requests. My wife asked for an egg with her salmon plate to make it more of a brunch then a lunch, and was told that they only have enough eggs in the restaurant to make a limited amount of French toast for the day???? For a 300.00 lunch, this was NOT WORTH IT. They also added 20% gratuity, which may explain the bad treatment..
- Very gracious hostsRB01Dined on 5/2/2014In addition to having fine, and quite authentic, French bistro cuisine, they accommodated a vegan surprisingly well, which is hard to do in a Parision context.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sparkling neighborhood gempnbdinersVIPDined on 4/25/2014Despite making frequent trips to Rice Village, this was our first time dining at Bistro des Amis, and I'm so glad we did! The food was wonderful - we enjoyed the freshly baked bread (ask for it), the juicy duck confit, and killer scallops. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute placelindaDined on 4/17/2014Cute little find in the neighborhood. Parking is valet only. Food was a bit heavy handed on the salt the night we went.Special Features:
- Special Annieversary CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014The staff of Bistro Des Amis made our evening special from the moment we arrived until the moment we left. The food, the wine and the atmosphere was perfect. The chocolate bread pudding was the perfect end of a perfect dinner. We look forward to many more visits to this little piece of Paris in the village.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely French CuisineWoodlandsDined on 3/26/2014Authentic French Bistro cuisine. You can taste the love in every bite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Feels like ParisNG1962VIPDined on 3/21/2014We have dined at Bistro des Amis twice in the last month. The first time we were a party of 8 and the second time a part of 6. As a result we have tried almost every item on the menu. Without exception they have all been superb. We plan to return often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In FranceLCtexasVIPDined on 3/5/2014Group of us went for lunch and had a great time with good food and ambiance. Could have been at a sidewalk cafe in France.Special Features:
- Decent French cuisine.. Not cheap.LifestyleBlogVIPDined on 3/1/2014We recommend the foie gras, lamb osso buco, and the scallops. Those dishes are petty outstanding. we also tried their meats the previous time we visited- also very good! Solid - tasty and well preparer. Really delicious.. But, we don't recommend the escargots. We tried them twice; the first time a few months ago, it was great... Second time a couple of days ago, it tasted strange, like from a can- and with the wrong sauce.. We wish they cooked their escargots simpler, with just a bit of butter, salt and herbs... Last visit, they served us good fresh bread- couldn't stop eating it. But a couple of days ago, their bread was harder than the sole of my shoes.. I almost broke a tooth :-) Randall's supermarket has better baguettesI would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysDdocktxDined on 3/1/2014Great food & service. Very consistent. $10 cork fee which is very fair. We really like this place!Special Features:
- French FindAspelinDined on 3/1/2014It had been a while since our last visit to Bistro des Amis. I think it may be under new ownership so it was good to see they are still BYOB and the food is still very tasty. My only recommendation would be to spruce the place up a bit. It is very authentic to what you would find as a neighborhood spot in France but it could use a little charm. We'll be back for the tasty and well priced food. BYOB is a huge draw. Merci beaucoup!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Under New ManagementRicMoreThanThreeCharsDined on 2/28/2014We ordered the croque monsieur, but was served the croque madam. One slice of ham straight from the meat counter of their favorite grocery, I should think. One slice of cheese. Nothing homemade about it. Nothing special about it. We ordered the Angus hamburger; it was actually pretty good. Both sandwiches were server with frozen French Fries; not homemade. Unimpressed!!! Other issues as well. After the meal, we discovered the ladies room had no toilet paper. We told the manager that our experience was pretty unsatisfactory; he indicated he had been on the job just two weeks as understood things were a bit rough. So the great reviews I read on OpenTable don't apply so much now. He said come back in a year and everything would be better.
- Just okCasperDined on 2/21/2014Too loud to talk. Too bright to be romantic. Service ok. Food good but timing was off. Appetizer same time as salad, entree too long to wait.Special Features: