Bistro de la Gare
921 Meridian Ave
South Pasadena, CA 91030Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Bistro de la Gare
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://bistrodelagare.com/
- Phone: 6267998828x
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday : 5:30 to 9pm
Friday & Saturday : 5:30 to 10pm
Tuesday : CLOSED
Wednesday-Fri: 11:30am to 2pm
Monday & Tuesday : CLOSED
WEEKEND BRUNCH :
Sat-Sun : 10:30am to 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, French
- Executive Chef: Bruno Morin
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Call for details.
- Special Events: Call for details.
A word from Bistro de la Gare
Under new ownership since August 2013, Chef Bruno and his team at Bistro de la Gare are dedicated to offering each of their guests an authentic French culinary experience, with an Italian flare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Bistro de la Gare - Best Restaurants in South Pasadena ›
Bistro de la Gare reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (42)great for outdoor dining (31)special occasion (30)romantic (28)fit for foodies (26)great for brunch (16)notable wine list (12)great for lunch (9)good for groups (8)scenic view (7)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (3)late-night find (3)Show More
- NjoyFoodNjoyFoodDined on 9/14/2014The new owner/chef is excellent. He comes out and greets his guests when possible, which is a nice touch. The menu is not too long and there are choices for everyone. We enjoy the French onion soup, the escargot, and other appetizers very much. We usually order the fish entrees because they are always delicious, occasionally the nice pastas. Good wine list. Some tables outside for nice evenings. Street parking.Special Features:
- Ordered wrongKurtcmoVIPDined on 9/13/2014I would try it again but was not cheap and the food was bad. I order what I thought was good but it was bad. The server didn't pick up that we left our plates full. Not good service.
- Great French FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014The food here is exceptional and so was the service. It's been 2 days since we dined there and I am still thinking about it. I will be back as soon as I can.Special Features:
- Wonderful Date NightTravelerDined on 9/6/2014Excellent good, fantastic service, great place to enjoy dinner with your special one. Establishment did not rush us out, mades for a relaxed enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Bistro de la Gare2ConstantGardenersDined on 8/29/2014We had a perfect evening with friends sitting outside. Every meal or portion thereof was great. We especially enjoyed our French lessons.Special Features:
- Lovely Dining ExperienceRGTolucaLakeDined on 8/29/2014I've dined here before with my family and have always had a wondering meal and first rate service. I'm thrilled that they are now open for lunch. The lobster and shrimp salad is delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- all tastespugletVIPDined on 8/23/2014The food is always delicious and the presentation can be photographed. Plenty of parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious French food in South PasOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/22/2014Bistro De La Gare is a lovely local restaurant in South Pasadena. It has a cozy romantic atmosphere and nice outdoor patio . The menu is varied and they have a nice selection of daily specials. The prices are fair and I would defiantly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014Small intimate restaurant has new owners, a face lift and new menu. Generous wine pours. Fabulous pate thickly heaped on toast and lightly dressed peppery greens. A salmon tartar and heavy mixed citrus as a counterpoint to the richness of the salmon. Burrata and tomatoes very good. A rustic terrine of pork, veal, hazelnuts was very good. We had the isle flottante and maybe it was perfect but I prefer something sweeter for a dessert. The chef, Bruno, was very friendly, had a complimentary after dinner drink sent over, nice ending to the meal. A wonderful experience overall and only blocks from my home! What a find.Special Features:
- A Cozy Neighborhood RestaurantmochiDined on 8/16/2014Dining indoors is just as good as out but with air conditioning. You get the same lovely view of the street from the large windows. It looks like the restaurant was first a house before it was converted so it gives a very welcoming and warm vibe. Chelsea, our server, spoke French, was knowledgeable and could answer all our questions. She was considerate and friendly and made our experience a pleasant one. Unfortunately the waffles were much too small a portion for me to call a meal. I do recommend the salmon and Eggs Benedict as well as the French Toast. Both the Belgian Chocolate Mousse and the Creme Brule were quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French and freshNjoyFoodDined on 8/13/2014A fine small bistro. Excellent two-page menu of starters and entrees. Fabulous escargot, onion soup, salad, fish and meat plates, good wine, nice dessert choices. Friendly owner and staff. One of our favorite dining places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- European welcomeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014Beautiful refuge from noisy, trendy, mediocre restaurants. Service is attentive but not intrusive; food is very good. The European ambiance and menu are most welcome. The current owners appear to know what it takes to please their clients. Delightful addition to the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- new menusfirecrakerDined on 8/1/2014This restaurant has a new menu which is not as good as before and more expensive.Special Features:
- A French GemLaFemmeDined on 7/26/2014My family and I enjoyed this place immensely. We were entertaining out of town guests and Bistro de la Gare did not disappoint. Their dishes are very nicely executed, be it appetizers, main course, desserts. I find it refreshing when the chef pays a visit to your table at the end of the meal to make sure everything was up to par. Well, everything was above par and we will be going back. Officially tops most French restaurants I've dined at.Special Features:
- kittyVIPDined on 7/6/2014Nice location in South Pasadena, restaurant is cozy while we had our brunch. Food is below average, nothing to remember about.
- One of the best French spots in LAfrenchPasadDined on 7/5/2014Great french cooking ands menu items, especially since it is so hard to find a good french place in LA. Did the table flowers through open table and the resturant executed it perfectly. Great place to take your significant other for a nice quiet dine. A little disappointed they didn't have the duck but the lobster ravioli was awesome. Fantastic coffee bar too.Special Features:
- Good food with poor service.SouthPassYumDined on 6/22/2014It would have been absolutely perfect if they didn't do a 180 degree turn & abandon our table completely towards the end... This unprofessional, semi-rude kid kept coming over but didn't speak; even gave us another table's good at one point. :/Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food needs more staffCarlDined on 6/15/2014We returned to Bistro de le Gare after not visiting them for several years and learned that there had been a change in ownership several months earlier. We we greeted by a friendly staff and seated within 5 minutes of arrival. I was looking forward to a nice provincial veal dish but there was no veal on the menu. My wife and I had the filet Mingon. It was prepared to order and the sauce was godd. Theeat was very tender and the "French Fries" were cooked just right. We had planned on a desert but had to wait for an extended time around 20 minutes before anyone came by our table. Apparently a large party came in and our waiter was tied up with them. Overall it is a nice place with a limited menu. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choice for Sunday dinnermcmaxDined on 6/15/2014Excellent food and large portions. Nice selection of wines by the glass that pair well with the food. Rose was clean/fresh, and nice Chardonnay and Viognier. Appetizers: excellent Carrot Ginger Soup and nice grilled eggplant. Main courses: Sole Meuniere (filet of sole) was nicely seared slightly crisp outside and flaky tender inside with a tasty lemon butter sauce. Moules Marinieres (steamed mussels) had a perfectly seasoned champagne sauce (not too salty and certainly not bland). Each main course was enough to feed two and I would order an appetizer or soup/salad for each person and split the main course next time. Strawberries balsamic was a tasty light dessert. Good quality and taste in every course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bistro de la Gare-South Pas ParisSanRafaelite2Dined on 6/13/2014It had been several years since we had been to this place. Remembering that prior visit years ago was to an uninspired restaurant. Can it be the same place?! Decor and layout was opened up, lightened. Food was inspired, great presentation and attentive service. Prices are high, but it was birthday party so we could splurge. The group liked the ambience, the coziness, the food, and the great wine. The beautiful South Pasadena location is on a tree-lined street and just around the corner from the Gold Line....you could squint and think you were in Europe. It is a nice place and next time we are going to sit outside in the lovely twilight, just the two of us. It's kind of place that makes you love living in California.Special Features:
- South Pass disappointmentAltadinerDined on 6/6/2014The place looked charming, but the food was mediocre, expensive, and the service terrible. Many people were there, so I suspect it's a popular local hangout. Driving is too much effort for this place.
- four stars instead of five starsLexiVIPDined on 6/1/2014I was disappointed that the restaurant forgot to celebrate my good friend's birthday. I made sure this was written in the notes when booking the reservation. I'm usually quite happy with the service but this time was not the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleine aire charmerNYtoLAdinerVIPDined on 5/25/2014What a great spot, on the square in South Pas, adjacent to the Mission Street train station. The neighborhood and the bistro have such an Old California charm to them, and the outdoor terrace was the perfect spot. Inside dining room and bar also done very well. The French bistro menu was very authentic, but with enough nouvelle California touches to offer more healthy options. French speaking management and staff added to the sud-France atmosphere. Standouts were the sole meuniere and the melanzanee. Nice wines, good service. Our party all agreed we definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Toughluv EncoreToughluvVIPDined on 5/23/2014Our 5th enjoyable visit in the last 6 months...and, we'll come again! Adelne, alone, makes dining enjoyable. But, please dont run out of chocolate mousse...and, get the main courses out on time...and more vegetables with the nights special seabass! Oh, and the wine list is still pretty "weak"...though growing! And, if the kithen got it's act (a little more) together, then the servers bringing the main course could explain what we are going to be eating..instead of sliding the plates in front of us and almost sprinting away. One more thing...be prepared to lip read on the left side of the restaurant...as you walk in..maybe now that the $s are flowing, some noise baffles in the ceiling? Lastly, PLEASE some bread wth the escargot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/21/2014I was disappointed since I had heard such nice reviews. Perhaps Chef was having an off night. My frise salad with lardons and poached egg had way too much vinegar in the dressing. Roast lamb turned out to be rack of lamb...one order was perfectly cooked for medium rare and the other came rare, rare so that went back. the vegies were fine, the frites were rather tasteless and the wrong dessert came. Coffee was very good and service and ambiance were excellent. It is just the food was rather ordinary.
- The following 53 reviews are from the Bistro de la Gare reviews archive.
- Great food, but still some kinksNickVIPDined on 5/11/2014We hadn't been for a long time, and had been meaning to go back because the place is so quaint and cute. Saw they were under new management, so decided to go for Mother's Day. The food was really good, with a lovely French flair. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if they just weren't prepared for a busy day or what happened. We sat for over 30 minutes before we even got water. Had to ask for bread because we were all so hungry. Very long wait times in between courses. Our brunch took 2.5 hrs in all, and because we were 9 people, they added 20% gratuity after all that. The food was good, so we 'may' give them one more shot before writing it off. They were nice, but really only one apology (at the end) for the delays.
- Regula wannaberegularDined on 5/11/2014I've always thought it's a great spot for a restaurant--I've only been at the deli next door. We've always taken our mom to the Huntington Tea Room on Mothers' Day, but this year i was late in making a reservation - i wanted to stay in the neighborhood and Bistro de la Gare is listed on the 'best' so i thought i'd give it a try. I found the staff friendly, efficient, and attentive - the gentleman who we believe is the owner is very sweet handing out roses. My mom had a great time, she loved the personal touch- I'd like to be a regular from now on.Special Features:
- BKV123Dined on 5/10/2014To the Events Manager, What could have been a great experience was only mediocre because of your limitations on my group of 20. Initially, when we spoke/emailed, you stated a large group takes up much space, and you have to be guaranteed a certain number of diners; you offered our group brunch at $44.00/person, which was not acceptable. When we arrived (reservations made as 4 separate groups of 5 each) on May 10, the restaurant was quite empty as was the "group dining room." Our group was seated at 4 separate tables, giving no opportunity to socialize with all members. I hope you will consider your "group" policy, especially when the restaurant is not full for weekend brunch. Please see my rating above.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice night4emwDined on 5/9/2014love this place... unusually slow service tonight. Ces't la vie?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I shall returntjkid8VIPDined on 5/2/2014Glad to back. I like the job the did on the refurbishment. I like the airy and new colors look. Great service by our waiter Raphael.Special Features:
- Delicious!Babaloo100Dined on 4/26/2014Love this little neighborhood bistro! The staff is friendly. The mussels, beef, and seafood pasta are on point each time I have been. The chef's specialties make the experience unique. (pig's ear, homemade terrine, salad frisee...etc...) The chef always comes out to check on things. The experience feels personal and special every time. Great wine list.Special Features:
- Love This Restaurant.RGTolucaLakeDined on 4/20/2014The new ownership has created a intimate and quite enjoyable dining experience. We've already dined there several times so it was our first choice for Easter brunch. We couldn't have been more pleased. The eggs Benedict is the best I've ever had. This is now one of our favorite restaurants in LA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good but Service OKJwillDined on 4/20/2014The place was very clean and very welcoming. They had seating outdoors as well, which would be a good option because it is nestled in a quiet neighborhood. I went for Easter brunch. I didn't expect that they had a fix pixie. I was a little disappointed because I wanted to try their Quiche Lorraine, which is on their regular brunch menu. Nonetheless, the food was good. I had the crispy fried chicken and the herbs that in it was an expected delight. The only thing is that service was very inconsistent. The servers couldn't even crack a smile. They walk around looking at your table and not say anything. We never got out bread if we didn't ask for it, but the table next to us had constant bread service. Need better guest service to all.Special Features:
- Romantic France in South PasadenaScottDinesDined on 4/19/2014Bistro de la Gare is a charming culinary adventure carefully tended to by a responsive and charismatic staff. The food is prepared with skill and care, keeping a watchful eye on French tradition. Lingering over a delicious assorted cheese plate while enjoying a crisp Sancerre, you dine with one foot in Europe and one in Southern California. Our wait staff, Rafael, was as stylish as his flawless transitions from French phrasing to English slang. A wonderful dining experience!Special Features:
- Great, authentic French foodkindaspecialDined on 4/18/2014Fantastic food!! What a great find. We will be back and try something else yummy on your menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- STILL GOODScottDined on 4/12/2014This was our first visit since the change in ownership and we were not disappointed. The food was excellent. The service was also very good, which was not always the case in the past. We will definitely go again and recommend to friends.Special Features:
- Pas EncoreToughluvVIPDined on 4/6/2014Another enjoyable evening in our new fave local restaurant...BUT....jeepers...still slow bussing (pls stop trying to be "cute) with the bread!?).....two menu items were, again, MIA....and one of the specials was down to the last "one"...at 6:30!! And, alas, still no Calves Liver and Bacon! Desserts were not up to snuff...how about, at least, a "special"?Special Features:
- Cozy neighborhood bistroDishieVIPDined on 4/6/2014A wonderful neighborhood bistro with a new chef/owner and a very French menu. Great for dinner or brunch; definitely a bistro atmosphere with good food and service for a very reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- While we enjoyed ourselves,wineNdineDined on 4/5/2014While we enjoyed ourselves, the prices of certain items seemed really off the mark. A very ordinary Caesar salad starter at brunch was $12 dollars. It was just lettuce and croutons -- nothing too special. The same salad at dinner is only $9. I think they need to rethink things a bit...Special Features:
- Wonderful Date Night!Deb04Dined on 3/29/2014My husband and I have been looking for years for a delightful French restaurant. A friend from France recommeded this bistro. We had a wonderful evening. Our waitress , Adeline was adorable and really from France. The food was amazing. If you're looking for the true French experience, you must try this bistro!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.