Bistro Citron - Manhattan
473 Columbus Ave.
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Bistro Citron - Manhattan
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bistrocitronnyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 400-9401
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm- 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Jerry Katzenberger
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We host all types of private events from Bar/Bat Mitzvah"s, Bridal Showers, Baby Showers, and Birthday parties. We offer many types of menu's to choose from to fit almost any budget.
- Private Party Contact: Patricio Curillo 2124009401
A word from Bistro Citron - Manhattan
Bistro Citron brings a warm touch of Gallic charm and superb food to Manhattan’s Upper West Side. With its black-leather banquettes, oak paneling, rustic maple wood floors, and chandeliers sporting tulip-shaped shades, Bistro Citron captures the Left Bank mood. Its ambiance and décor are reminders of the smoky bistros celebrated in French film noir. Enter the dining room and be transported to the Parisian Left Bank featuring an authentic and tasteful menu by to delight your palate. The intimate atmosphere of Bistro Citron combines a quiet elegance with a welcoming unpretentious spirit. Choose from an authentic selection of French bistro fare crafted by Chef Jerry Katzenberger from the freshest ingredients available. Dine on authentic classics served in the finest French restaurants as well as simple country fare- Moules Provencales, Salad Nicoise, Soupe a l’Oignon,’ Steak Frites and Coq au Vin.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bistro Citron - Manhattan reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (40)great for outdoor dining (18)fit for foodies (17)great for lunch (15)great for brunch (14)good for groups (14)romantic (8)kid-friendly (8)special occasion (7)notable wine list (3)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Always there when you need themImpressionsDined on 11/15/2014Such a civilized and reliable venue. Food is good and they can always find a table for you. Well worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced.ErinDined on 11/7/2014Very small caesar salad with almost no dressing/flavor. Bread service is frustrating b/c you have to ask for one piece at at time. Server was too busy to actually wait our table of 5. She didn't split the salad that our friends asked to be split, and after they asked for an extra plate, she didn't bring that. She didn't notice/care that the salad wasn't split. Forgot? Again, because she was too busy to do her job. Food runner put his arm in my mother's face twice to serve my dad instead of walking around the table. The scallops/shrimp with "truffle" sauce had no truffle anywhere whatsoever and the sauce had no salt at all. Server failed to notice we didn't have salt/pepper (but the empty table next to us did...) I will never go back.
- Something to suit all tastesEclectictastesDined on 10/25/2014A French bistro with a somewhat predictable menu for lunch, food quite ordinary, but nice vibe and pleasant place to chat with friends and indulge in a long meal.Special Features:
- MorkVIPDined on 10/23/2014As always, a very good dinner in pleasant surroundings. Always a pleasure to drop in for a mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply Lovely!Food4FiveDined on 10/19/2014Was looking for a great Sunday brunch location and found it. Wanted a place to be able to enjoy good food and family. We all had wonderful food and drink and were able to linger without feeling uncomfortable. The service was superb. Had a great experience here. We will surely return to this lovely bistro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchAJREVDined on 10/18/2014Definitely worthwhile brunch menu, lots of food and drink included for a low price! The service was very nice, and the atmosphere very quiet. No one trying to push us through on a Sat at noon.Special Features:
- highly recommended not disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/15/2014We were visiting in NYC and this was a Wednesday night; charming, upper west side restaurant. Front was open and few tables outside which might be nice but with intermittent rain, we ate inside, in the back--quiet although not all tables full. Menu had many options; I had monk fish, my wife skate--both excellent choices.Wine list maybe a bit limited but my martini to start was very generous so was less important. Service attentive but not overbearing--just right. The evening was a treat; we will return on a future visit to NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/12/2014Seven of us for brunch, Friendly service, (our waitress told us it was her first day on the job), and the runner knew who got what. Food was tasty and hot. One of the group uses a wheel chair and everyone was very helpful with it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish I lived near this restaurant!BradleyDined on 10/11/2014Perfect dining and socializing, we had a fantastic dinner catching up with friends. More than a dining experience, I could go to Bistro Citron everyday, the staff is excellent and very helpful with dishes and wine list, wish I lived around the cornerSpecial Features:
- I would go back, but . . .SMVisitorpVIPDined on 10/5/2014Great onion soup and mussels. Disappointing Caesar salad. They were very busy with a big party, which may have accounted for the high noise level and slow service.Special Features:
- Great family brunch experiencemjk2Dined on 10/5/2014I chose this restaurant for a brunch for 8 people this past Sunday. Unfortunately due to some travel issues my party was late. Not only did the restaurant still accommodate us but they did so graciously and with such a welcoming attitude. The menu has something for everyone, the prices were great, and the service was outstanding. We had a seasoned waitress and one that was just brand new (maybe her second day?) and they both could not have been more attentive, professional, pleasant, and customer oriented. It was a great experience and I thank the team at Bistro Citron. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/26/2014I dine here about twice a month because you can always count on a delicious meal. How can you beat warm bread served to the table?Special Features:
- Not so neighborlyLiliMartinsVIPDined on 9/21/2014Bistro is not exactly a gourmet experience, the food is good but I think its strengthen resides in its location and the many people around that want to eat traditional western/european food as oppose to Mexican, Indian, Chinese, etc. I was there yesterday and order a Manhattan. It was not good. Could not drink it. The waiter just avoided asking me how was my drink until the check had been delivered, despite the fact it stood there on the table through the meal. Anyway, the bar there is bad really. The last time I had a Cosmopolitan and it was also the worse I had had in my life. I should have known not to order another cocktail there, but what really upset me was the non neighborly attention to the clientele. They did not care at all.Special Features:
- DiasappointedoutoftownerDined on 9/21/2014Although the croissants/jam and dessert were wonderful, two of us had the chicken and spinach crepe which was most disappointing. It was dry, without any kind of sauce and bland. Other meals were very good. I also wrote a note on my Open Table reservation that we were celebrating a 77th birthday but it was not acknowledged in any way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best bistroRobinblDined on 9/19/2014We go to bistro citron often. The food is always excellent! The only bad thing is that the bread is so good we eat way to much of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My fav neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014I love it! A wonderful neighborhood restaurant. The food is excellent, friendly atmosphere and professionalism for all -- they know what to do and do it well.Special Features:
- A great lunch1enthusiastDined on 9/16/2014Salads are excellent, so are omelettes. A good bistro with enough non-bistro items to please those who prefer something lighter.Special Features:
- Not the usualLuvmyneighborhoodDined on 9/3/2014We usually love the muscles at Bistro Citron, but this time they were too, too salty. Both the Saffron and the Provençal sauces were so salty that they were practically inedible.Special Features:
- Not how I remembered it!Sveiks123Dined on 8/30/2014This was our second time at this restaurant and we came again for the mussels. Although the service was attentive and we enjoyed sitting outside for the people watching, I have to say the mussels we had were the smallest mussels I have ever seen anywhere! Very disappointing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb eggsChoiceDined on 8/5/2014When was the last/first time that you had an omelet in a restaurant that was not overcooked? Maybe you are like me and my friend and just have stopped ordering omelets in restaurants. Both of us mopped up our plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great musselsBetsyVIPDined on 8/4/2014We went for moules Monday. $21 for mussels (choice of about a half dozen ways), a glass of wine, and fries. We ordered mussels with lardons (like Canadian bacon) and onions. Everything was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- patsyDined on 8/2/2014my family can not wait to come back. each of us, who ordered different dishes, loved them.Special Features:
- West Bank (of Paris) on West SidenirnieDined on 8/1/2014We've been going to this restaurant for 4-5 years and it's always satisfying. The choices are mostly French, onion soup, Croque Monsieur, Croque Madame, but understandable to non French menu readers. The flavor is French and delicious, the wines varied (they even have Gavi). The atmosphere is French with the tiled floor, zinc ceilings and French style chairs. You don't have to pay Parisian prices for a delicious dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- coulda shouldaAC33VIPDined on 8/1/2014Warm friendly atmosphere for lunch, efficient service, peaceful, food not very good. Have been here before and always ordered the mussels, should have stuck with them. There were 4 of us and the only decent meal was the omelet - and even that was kind of overcooked. The roast chicken was dry beyond belief, and the crepes had a wad of unmelted, gluey cheese stuck to a thickly cut, half cold piece of ham, sandwiched between tepid spongy crepe pancake. Disappointing. May come back for the mussels one wintery night, but will never try anything else on their menu.
- The following 79 reviews are from the Bistro Citron - Manhattan reviews archive.
- OvercookedJBMiamiVIPDined on 7/20/2014We really wanted to enjoy this one as the place has a good vibe, but the truth is the food was mediocre at best. My "medium" steak was cooked right through without a trace of pink inside and my wife's paella had lumps of dry, over cooked chicken in it. I can't reconcile this to the other reviews here so I can only speculate that the a-team cooking staff were just not on duty that day.
- Like a bit of France on ColumbusKiawahPapaDined on 7/15/2014This is the closest we've found to a French Bistro in the City. It has all the typical Bistro fare: moules, lobster sandwiches, coq au vin, great bread, and wonderful seasonally-varying fish choices. Prices are reasonable, some might say remarkably inexpensive, and the service is consistently excellent. Outdoor space is limited and constrained to small parties, but very pleasant. We've been dining there a couple of times a month for several years and have never had a bad meal.Special Features:
- Great night outFood4thoughtDined on 7/8/2014I brought a group of friends here for the special French Restaurant Week menu as it seemed to have one of the better deals for FRW and, having been to the Bistro Citron in Roslyn a couple of times, I knew the food would be worth it. They were happy to seat us when only two of our reserved party had arrived (the rest, who had various delays, showed up within the next fifteen to twenty minutes), which I thought was nice. More importantly, the food was delicious. Between all of us, we tried almost everything on the FRW menu, and even my non-foodie friends were impressed by the delicate notes and attention to detail of the baked Brie, salmon, French fries, and duck in particular, though everything was perfectly cooked and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like it very much ....OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/24/2014We try to come for dinner at least every other week. We live in walking distance (in good weather) but if we were closer we would surely be having dinner here every week. The service is friendly, even more hospitable when some of the familiar staff recognize our repeat patronage with an extra friendly welcome. We think the food is very good - though we most often keep to the same items (salads, onion soup, steak frites, pork chop) sometimes we try a dinner special that often is enjoyable. We like the casual ambiance here and find it more comfortable and less cramped than our closer neighborhood favorite Cafe Lux.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/19/2014The food was good and appealingly presented. The service was a bit erratic and staff not particularly friendly.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food AlwaysNicematindinerVIPDined on 6/19/2014No matter when you go to Cafe Citron - mid week or weekends, early or late the food is terrific and service greatSpecial Features:
- not so goodMrEatWellDined on 6/10/2014not worth going to. less than run-of-the-mill food
- Much better choices around!woofoosVIPDined on 6/8/2014The evening had a bad start when we waited at the desk without a greeting. The man who was standing at the bar who had not offered a greeting or eye contact got snarky when I asked who I should talk to about my reservation. It turns out he is the one in charge—and so that set the tone for the evening. There was a noisy party in the back, which may have accounted for the incredibly slow service. The waitress was helpful but harried, and when the mussels finally arrived, they were really bland and not terribly fresh. With so many choices in the neighborhood, there is no need to suffer bad attitude with the mediocre food. We will not be back, and it was clear they could not care less.
- Would be great but .....LadyBradyDined on 5/28/2014If only the waitstaff cared about my friend and me! If only the waitstaff showed that we mattered! If only someone had asked if we needed anything or if everything was okay! If only.....Special Features:
- Worth comingdiningwithkidsVIPDined on 5/20/2014We were a group of 8 (including 3 little kids). Seafood was fresh (ordered mussels, seafood pasta, salmon and sole) and beautifully cooked. Steaks were good. Coq au vin was ok. Kids' meals were sizable and delicious (burgers seasoned and cooked well). Service was prompt and attentive. Definitely on the nice list!Special Features:
- worldtravelerVIPDined on 5/10/2014Classic French bistro menu with great mussels and fries. Can get quite noisySpecial Features:
- Should have been betterOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/9/2014We've eaten at Bistro Citron before. It has an excellent menu in a pretty setting, but can be a uneven in execution. We dined early: 6:15. Our waitress must have had plugs in her ears. (She was a very nice person, but beet salad doesn't sound at all like pizza.) The ambient temperature inside was perfect — but for some reason the air conditioner was turned on. The blowers were aimed right at us. Our waitress kindly shut the system off, which made our table bearable. Freezing, over-air conditioned restaurants are one of the most unattractive features in NYC. By the way, even though the restaurant was still pleasantly cool by the time we were finishing our meal, the manager turned the system on again. Unpleasant and unnecessary.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemRaymondVIPDined on 5/4/2014This restaurant is a great place for neighbors to eat bistro food where "they always know your name" or for for visitors like me to enjoy a large bowl of well prepared mussels and sip inexpensive wine in bistro surroundings. The couple at the next table in their late 70's befriended me because I was dining alone. Many families were eating here. My new friends lived a block away and come to this restaurant frequently.Special Features:
- Pleasant cafeOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/25/2014Stopped in on a Friday night early. Service was very attentive. Duck was superb (particularly the crepe stuffed with leg and mushrooms) as was my wife's sole. House burgundy was very good as well. We would definitely eat here again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food - good, Service - ehCarolamyDined on 4/19/2014We enjoyed the food but continuously had to fight for the attention of our server. She was typically standing around with other servers talking. It took some time for her to take our order and to provide our check. It did not spoil the entire experience, but it would have been much enjoyable with a more accommodating and attentive server. I had one of the mussels dishes. The mussels were delicious and so was the broth - but normally I've had that served with toast points for dipping in the broth. My cousin had the salmon which she enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Citron is going in the rotationDakotashadowVIPDined on 4/10/2014Really solid food, nice and attentive staff, nice mix of people and moderate prices make this a local that we'll be looking forward to eating at again. We felt that we got very decent value, which is an all-too-rare thing these days. Really enjoyed the mussels!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.