Bistro Citron - Manhattan
473 Columbus Ave.
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Bistro Citron - Manhattan
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bistrocitronnyc.com/
- Phone: 2124009401
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm- 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Jerry Katzenberger
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We host all types of private events from Bar/Bat Mitzvah"s, Bridal Showers, Baby Showers, and Birthday parties. We offer many types of menu's to choose from to fit almost any budget.
- Private Party Contact: Patricio Curillo 2124009401
A word from Bistro Citron - Manhattan
Bistro Citron brings a warm touch of Gallic charm and superb food to Manhattan’s Upper West Side. With its black-leather banquettes, oak paneling, rustic maple wood floors, and chandeliers sporting tulip-shaped shades, Bistro Citron captures the Left Bank mood. Its ambiance and décor are reminders of the smoky bistros celebrated in French film noir. Enter the dining room and be transported to the Parisian Left Bank featuring an authentic and tasteful menu by to delight your palate. The intimate atmosphere of Bistro Citron combines a quiet elegance with a welcoming unpretentious spirit. Choose from an authentic selection of French bistro fare crafted by Chef Jerry Katzenberger from the freshest ingredients available. Dine on authentic classics served in the finest French restaurants as well as simple country fare- Moules Provencales, Salad Nicoise, Soupe a l’Oignon,’ Steak Frites and Coq au Vin.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bistro Citron - Manhattan reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (29)fit for foodies (18)great for outdoor dining (16)great for lunch (12)special occasion (10)good for groups (10)romantic (9)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (1)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- A great lunch1enthusiastDined on 9/16/2014Salads are excellent, so are omelettes. A good bistro with enough non-bistro items to please those who prefer something lighter.Special Features:
- Not the usualLuvmyneighborhoodDined on 9/3/2014We usually love the muscles at Bistro Citron, but this time they were too, too salty. Both the Saffron and the Provençal sauces were so salty that they were practically inedible.Special Features:
- Not how I remembered it!Sveiks123Dined on 8/30/2014This was our second time at this restaurant and we came again for the mussels. Although the service was attentive and we enjoyed sitting outside for the people watching, I have to say the mussels we had were the smallest mussels I have ever seen anywhere! Very disappointing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb eggsChoiceDined on 8/5/2014When was the last/first time that you had an omelet in a restaurant that was not overcooked? Maybe you are like me and my friend and just have stopped ordering omelets in restaurants. Both of us mopped up our plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great musselsBetsyVIPDined on 8/4/2014We went for moules Monday. $21 for mussels (choice of about a half dozen ways), a glass of wine, and fries. We ordered mussels with lardons (like Canadian bacon) and onions. Everything was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- patsyDined on 8/2/2014my family can not wait to come back. each of us, who ordered different dishes, loved them.Special Features:
- West Bank (of Paris) on West SidenirnieDined on 8/1/2014We've been going to this restaurant for 4-5 years and it's always satisfying. The choices are mostly French, onion soup, Croque Monsieur, Croque Madame, but understandable to non French menu readers. The flavor is French and delicious, the wines varied (they even have Gavi). The atmosphere is French with the tiled floor, zinc ceilings and French style chairs. You don't have to pay Parisian prices for a delicious dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- coulda shouldaAC33VIPDined on 8/1/2014Warm friendly atmosphere for lunch, efficient service, peaceful, food not very good. Have been here before and always ordered the mussels, should have stuck with them. There were 4 of us and the only decent meal was the omelet - and even that was kind of overcooked. The roast chicken was dry beyond belief, and the crepes had a wad of unmelted, gluey cheese stuck to a thickly cut, half cold piece of ham, sandwiched between tepid spongy crepe pancake. Disappointing. May come back for the mussels one wintery night, but will never try anything else on their menu.
- OvercookedJBMiamiVIPDined on 7/20/2014We really wanted to enjoy this one as the place has a good vibe, but the truth is the food was mediocre at best. My "medium" steak was cooked right through without a trace of pink inside and my wife's paella had lumps of dry, over cooked chicken in it. I can't reconcile this to the other reviews here so I can only speculate that the a-team cooking staff were just not on duty that day.
- Like a bit of France on ColumbusKiawahPapaDined on 7/15/2014This is the closest we've found to a French Bistro in the City. It has all the typical Bistro fare: moules, lobster sandwiches, coq au vin, great bread, and wonderful seasonally-varying fish choices. Prices are reasonable, some might say remarkably inexpensive, and the service is consistently excellent. Outdoor space is limited and constrained to small parties, but very pleasant. We've been dining there a couple of times a month for several years and have never had a bad meal.Special Features:
- Great night outFood4thoughtDined on 7/8/2014I brought a group of friends here for the special French Restaurant Week menu as it seemed to have one of the better deals for FRW and, having been to the Bistro Citron in Roslyn a couple of times, I knew the food would be worth it. They were happy to seat us when only two of our reserved party had arrived (the rest, who had various delays, showed up within the next fifteen to twenty minutes), which I thought was nice. More importantly, the food was delicious. Between all of us, we tried almost everything on the FRW menu, and even my non-foodie friends were impressed by the delicate notes and attention to detail of the baked Brie, salmon, French fries, and duck in particular, though everything was perfectly cooked and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like it very much ....OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/24/2014We try to come for dinner at least every other week. We live in walking distance (in good weather) but if we were closer we would surely be having dinner here every week. The service is friendly, even more hospitable when some of the familiar staff recognize our repeat patronage with an extra friendly welcome. We think the food is very good - though we most often keep to the same items (salads, onion soup, steak frites, pork chop) sometimes we try a dinner special that often is enjoyable. We like the casual ambiance here and find it more comfortable and less cramped than our closer neighborhood favorite Cafe Lux.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/19/2014The food was good and appealingly presented. The service was a bit erratic and staff not particularly friendly.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food AlwaysNicematindinerVIPDined on 6/19/2014No matter when you go to Cafe Citron - mid week or weekends, early or late the food is terrific and service greatSpecial Features:
- Much better choices around!woofoosVIPDined on 6/8/2014The evening had a bad start when we waited at the desk without a greeting. The man who was standing at the bar who had not offered a greeting or eye contact got snarky when I asked who I should talk to about my reservation. It turns out he is the one in charge—and so that set the tone for the evening. There was a noisy party in the back, which may have accounted for the incredibly slow service. The waitress was helpful but harried, and when the mussels finally arrived, they were really bland and not terribly fresh. With so many choices in the neighborhood, there is no need to suffer bad attitude with the mediocre food. We will not be back, and it was clear they could not care less.
- Would be great but .....LadyBradyDined on 5/28/2014If only the waitstaff cared about my friend and me! If only the waitstaff showed that we mattered! If only someone had asked if we needed anything or if everything was okay! If only.....Special Features:
- The following 70 reviews are from the Bistro Citron - Manhattan reviews archive.
- Worth comingdiningwithkidsVIPDined on 5/20/2014We were a group of 8 (including 3 little kids). Seafood was fresh (ordered mussels, seafood pasta, salmon and sole) and beautifully cooked. Steaks were good. Coq au vin was ok. Kids' meals were sizable and delicious (burgers seasoned and cooked well). Service was prompt and attentive. Definitely on the nice list!Special Features:
- worldtravelerVIPDined on 5/10/2014Classic French bistro menu with great mussels and fries. Can get quite noisySpecial Features:
- Should have been betterOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/9/2014We've eaten at Bistro Citron before. It has an excellent menu in a pretty setting, but can be a uneven in execution. We dined early: 6:15. Our waitress must have had plugs in her ears. (She was a very nice person, but beet salad doesn't sound at all like pizza.) The ambient temperature inside was perfect — but for some reason the air conditioner was turned on. The blowers were aimed right at us. Our waitress kindly shut the system off, which made our table bearable. Freezing, over-air conditioned restaurants are one of the most unattractive features in NYC. By the way, even though the restaurant was still pleasantly cool by the time we were finishing our meal, the manager turned the system on again. Unpleasant and unnecessary.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemRaymondVIPDined on 5/4/2014This restaurant is a great place for neighbors to eat bistro food where "they always know your name" or for for visitors like me to enjoy a large bowl of well prepared mussels and sip inexpensive wine in bistro surroundings. The couple at the next table in their late 70's befriended me because I was dining alone. Many families were eating here. My new friends lived a block away and come to this restaurant frequently.Special Features:
- Pleasant cafeOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/25/2014Stopped in on a Friday night early. Service was very attentive. Duck was superb (particularly the crepe stuffed with leg and mushrooms) as was my wife's sole. House burgundy was very good as well. We would definitely eat here again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food - good, Service - ehCarolamyDined on 4/19/2014We enjoyed the food but continuously had to fight for the attention of our server. She was typically standing around with other servers talking. It took some time for her to take our order and to provide our check. It did not spoil the entire experience, but it would have been much enjoyable with a more accommodating and attentive server. I had one of the mussels dishes. The mussels were delicious and so was the broth - but normally I've had that served with toast points for dipping in the broth. My cousin had the salmon which she enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Citron is going in the rotationDakotashadowVIPDined on 4/10/2014Really solid food, nice and attentive staff, nice mix of people and moderate prices make this a local that we'll be looking forward to eating at again. We felt that we got very decent value, which is an all-too-rare thing these days. Really enjoyed the mussels!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good neighborhood restaurantFoodieVIPDined on 4/5/2014I would go back. It was reliable and the food was good. Wine by the glass was excellent.Special Features:
- Great BistroNicematindinerVIPDined on 3/22/2014Wonderful fish. Appetizers incredible and tough choices. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot Near MuseumsMuseumEnthusiastDined on 3/22/2014Bistro Citron is our favorite local spot after an afternoon at one of the many museums in the area. The staff is friendly, the food is just what the name suggests, "French Bistro" and it's reasonably pricedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bistro citronOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/22/2014The food was solid, although my duck was a bit overdone. We went with our three children, 6-12, after a day at the AMNH, and it was a really pleasant meal with a friendly, attentive waiter and a nice range of food options. The steak was fantastic, well seasoned and done perfectly. My husband enjoyed his lobster ravioli and desserts were good as well.Special Features:
- very convivial dining experienceKiltyDined on 3/9/2014I dined at this restaurant twice in the past month and was pleased with the food, the service and the ambiance both times. My only complaint is that on a recent Sunday evening, the noise of the music combined with the TV was much too loud.Special Features:
- may not be the way to start the daycatmamDined on 2/23/2014this place is very conveniently located near the hayden planetarium. perhaps it depends on attracting tourists rather than locals.service was curt, almost surly. food was not gourmet but rather below diner level brunch. hollandaise was not delicate, creamy and lemony but felt gloppy, tasted mainly salty and was a bright neon yellow color. potatoes were also extra salty. my guest's french fries were similar to mcdonalds. so the price we paid for this kind of food was definitely a rip-off. i don't expect a place like this to be listed thru open table.
- Excellent musselsBetsyVIPDined on 2/17/2014The Monday mussel special is great. There are many varieties and it comes with a glass of wine.Special Features:
- Fabulous! Don't hesitate!NoelAnnDined on 2/17/2014I was in NYC and a friend recommended this place. Made a reservation for two and they gave us a booth! (They are VERY busy in the evenings but lunch is more leisurely, we were very lucky.) The maitre d’ was very kind. The waitress was very good, even the busboy. My friend had a Croque Madame for $10. I made an error, ordered in bad french & instead of crepe with chicken and spinach I ordered a chicken entree. But it was a very happy accident. (They would have rectified the situation i'm sure if i had wanted that I was just very happy with my mistake.) Make certain if you are testing out your french to point to the menu while talking! The french onion soup and my friend's potato leek were marvelous! A bottle of wine is de rigueur.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great neighborhood restaurantSande1Dined on 2/15/2014the food is consistently excellent at bistro citron. If you sit in the back the noise level is comfortable for conversation and the staff are attentive and friendly. all and all a wonderful upper west side place to eat with friends. I highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Nice place.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/7/2014Food was very good. Service was cordial, professional, no problems.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindBryanJBVIPDined on 1/21/2014This is a cozy place that served up delicious food. Charming local customers and an attentive wait staff. Overall we were very happy!Special Features:
- Tres BienDiningfortwo1Dined on 1/19/2014We met our friend here for brunch. It's a great place to practice your French and well, since our friend was French, he had no problem. The food was fine all around. The Salade Nicoise and Salmon with lentils were delectable and the crepes Suzette was outstanding. We shall return again and do recommend it highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bistro Citron is Not a LemonAndyMorseVIPDined on 1/19/2014My wife and I with three elderly relatives enjoyed the prix fixe Sunday brunch . It is fairly priced . The Oeufs Norvegiennes were well prepared as were the Benedictines. The Hollandaise was mustard colored and looked like spilled paint; yet tasted fine. The strawberrry pancakes were a little soggy..but the fruit sauce was tasty if not memorable. The manager/owner was welcoming and solicitous. The space was packed full with adults, teens (yuk) but offset by cute toddlers in strollers. I certainly would return. The restaurant was rather noisy so our elderly guests turned off their hearing aids. Brunch conversation was reduced to hand signals...it is remarkable how well humans communicate without speaking! Andy MorseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great bistroStellaDined on 1/17/2014My Paris loving friend is picky about where he orders moules. He loved them. Five of us sat ot one of the front booths, and it was comfortable and intimate. The staff was attentive, accomodating and could not have been nicer. Plan to return.Special Features:
- Never DisappointsShaneDined on 1/12/2014Always good food and great service. We are never rushed and they are very accommodating with fair prices.Special Features:
- Just The Right SpotTriplemVIPDined on 1/11/2014Bistro Citron lives up to its billing as an ideal restaurant that provides a easy atmosphere and fine food and wine--it's has clearly created a winning formula that delivers a great restaurant experience for couples and families alike. A classic French bistro feel--but with a "we accept you for who you are" New York attitude. We had a 6 person family--old to young range and they accommodated us perfectly. Everyone loved their food--the lamb shank, arugula salad special, halibut, steak and pork were all delicious and the floating island for dessert is a must try--rarely seen but worth getting when you find it AND this one is very good. We loved it and will definitely come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you're in the neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/4/2014Citron was fine. The service was very helpful, not rushed, even when my friends showed up a half hour after the reservation (traffic). The food was okay, not great. I expected more of a French flair but my croque monsieur was only so so.Special Features: