Bistro Cassis Manhattan
225 Columbus Avenue
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Bistro Cassis Manhattan
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bistrocassisny.com/
- Phone: (212) 579-3966
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Bistro Cassis Manhattan
Authentic French Bistro.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bistro Cassis Manhattan reviews from OpenTable diners
69 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (50)fit for foodies (18)romantic (14)great for outdoor dining (12)special occasion (11)great for lunch (10)great for brunch (5)notable wine list (4)good for groups (3)hot spot (3)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Classic bistro foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/15/2014Perfect bistro food at reasonable prices with quick service- so many things to choose from that we'll have to go back a few more times soon. Lively atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch/lunchrichardDined on 11/9/2014Most of the items were for lunch; limited choice for breakfast type brunch. Some eggs and french toast. Friendly service and quite busy early afternoon. I would go for a late lunch if in area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CassisAnneVIPDined on 11/8/2014We have been to Bistro Cassis dozens of times. Food is always good, prices are reasonable for a good meal in NY. We were a party of 4 and had an 8:00 reservation. According to Open Table, just a few hours earlier, I could have made a reservation at 7:30, 7:45, 8:00. When we all arrived at 8, the restaurant was packed. We waited for 25 minutes in the small and crushing location by the bar in the front. The owner/manager looked at us like we were from Mars when we reminded him several times of our reservation. "People are paying, just a little while longer..." . Absolutely no apology, let alone some sort of beverage or dessert payback. Not nice. Makes me question their honor system.Special Features:
- Just Okay Which is Not the NormSheil31VIPDined on 11/8/2014We dine here often. On this Saturday night, it was very busy and very noisy. The service was not up to its usual standards. It took about 15 minutes to get our glasses of wine and we were seated near the bar! The waiters (we had 2) never asked if our entrees were okay and no one ever asked if we wanted refills on our coffee. The noise on this night was extremely loud especially since we were seated next to a birthday celebration. Tables are very close so that does not help. Note to the chef- duck ala orange needs more sauce. The chef is always stingy with the sauce.Special Features:
- Always excellentNikolaiDined on 11/7/2014I always enjoy going to Cassis. Great food and service, a true delight. Whenever I bring my friends there who eat here for the first time, they always have rave reviews!Special Features:
- mabelyDined on 11/6/2014Had dinner before an event. My friend had mussels in a tomato sauce that was excellent. My steak sandwich was fine. Staff was very gracious. On my list for Lincoln Center dining.Special Features:
- Special specialsBruceVIPDined on 11/5/2014The Tuesday night coq au vin and the Wednesday night sole are both exceptionally goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014Food very decent and outstanding service. We were a party of 10 for a post marathon celebration and they handled us with ease. Highly recommend for lunch or brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upper West Side oasistimmmykVIPDined on 11/1/2014Ambience and Service are top notch at Bistro Cassis. Loved everything we ate, ordered too much and took home most of our charcuterie, prices are very good but was floored by receiving a ramekin of Chicken Liver Mousse for our bread along with butter. I instantly fell in love. Looking forward to a return soon.Special Features:
- over all horribleNAR53VIPDined on 10/28/2014Pretty little place. Bad service, bad food. Very disappointed. Will never return.
- dsgnchickVIPDined on 10/25/2014Very enjoyable dinner. The Saturday night special short ribs were really yummy!! (I was going to order salmon, but I was aided and abetted by our pleasant waiter).Special Features:
- Dinner with friendsCarolmicVIPDined on 10/20/2014Went to dinner here this past Monday night. We were looking for something in the neighborhood. It was a very good find. We shared an escargot appetizer that was very flavorful and cooked well. They gave us bread and butter and what I believe was a pate spread. I shared the roasted chicken with mixed vegetables and it too was flavorful and good well. The fries were very good as one would expect from a French restaurant. The other friend had a chicken dish too. The bill without any drinks or coffee or desert and without tip was $83.83.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvgoodfoodluvgoodfoodVIPDined on 10/18/2014The French food was as good as good French food in Paris! Everything we ordered came out piping hot and delicious. The server was very attentive and helpful with describing the different choices on the menu. The crispy duck was great. We will definitely go back there when we come to New York next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty but expensiveLizfromCTDined on 10/16/2014This is a nice little restaurant near Lincoln Center. My party of four had four different entrees and all were really delicious. There is limited seating outdoors and a nice medium sized dining room with a low key atmosphere. It is a little pricey but maybe not exactly what you'd want for a very special occasion. Service was attentive without being overbearing so it's a great place to eat if you have after dinner plans.Special Features:
- Just Perfect!JustPerfectDined on 10/11/2014Great prices and good food. The service was impecable.Special Features:
- Wonderful French bistroJohnVIPDined on 10/10/2014Great French bistro on the upper west side. A nice variety of dishes. My wife and I shared a charcuterie platter and then she had a crab slad with avocado and I had scallops and shrimp with leeks. Both delicious. And a silky smooth Pouilly-Fumé.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- catgirlflVIPDined on 10/9/2014My husband loves the mussels. I love the lamb, hamburgers and the calves liver is delicious. Chairs are not comfortable.Special Features:
- Lovely French bistro on uwsmelaminDined on 10/8/2014Cassis is an old favorite but food not as good as once was.Still decent menu and moderate pricesSpecial Features:
- Warm welcome to a SingleJereasyVIPDined on 10/5/2014I was given an excellent table for two, the waiter was hopelessly handsome, tall and friendly, and the filet of sole was somewhat reminiscent of whole Dover sole. I was amused when the waiter asked if I really wanted to order a bottle of wine for one (Yes--I took the leftover with me). When I see that a restaurant does not accept singles reservations I do not ever patronize that restaurant regardless of the size of my party. Thank you for your welcome and a fine dinner, and lots of wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than Expected!rrlernerVIPDined on 10/3/2014It was my first time going to Bistro Cassis and I wasn't sure if I would like the food even though the reviews I had read were positive. But I was far from disappointed. The quality of the ingredients, the preparation and presentation were all excellent and very appreciated. I had the skirt steak and the frisson salad. My two grandsons shared an appetizer of mussels. And for entrées, one had a shrimp dish, the other had the duck. All were very good. So, yes, I would definitely return and recommend this bistro to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/1/2014My daughter and I ate here last week and we were not impressed. Service was good, but the food was lackluster. The pastry in my daughter's dessert was stale--if you are going to have profiteroles on the menu, you need fresh cream puffs every day.
- SoleBruceVIPDined on 10/1/2014The special sole in parchment on Wednesday nights is outstanding. The nightly specials are all truly special--not just something on the menu. Each of them is available only the special night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You can always count on Cassis!MiriamCDined on 9/29/2014If you are looking for delicious french food set in a nice casual bistro setting then you can always count on Cassis to deliver the goods. We have been coming here for 15 years and have never been disappointed!Special Features:
- Good French CuisineKRB13Dined on 9/27/2014As we walked in, we noticed there were no more outdoor tables left, which confused me, as i wrote a note specifically asking for an outdoor table. We were led to the back, then the hostess gestured to a group of tables, and i had to ask her which she meant. I later saw she did this with everyone, but it was not the level of service I was expecting. Once we ordered, however, I realized the charm and authenticity of the food overtook those first shortcomings. I asked for an unusual cocktail, and the server took pains to have it made for me. The bread came with butter and house made pate, which was delicious. The tuna tartare was lovely, and my mussels anise were very good. The night became a wonderful date for me and my husband.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/27/2014Didnt honor my reservation and then pretended like it was cancelled by open table (even though i showed them the live reservation on the app). I used to come here a lot but not anymore. The manager is extremely incompetent
- A stand-by that never lets us downRSMMathewsVIPDined on 9/26/2014We've been fans of Cassis ever since it opened and go there frequently. We find the ambience relaxed and the service excellent. The food is standard French bistro fare--always well executed. This is not your cutting edge restaurant but it gives the nearby Cafe Luxemburg a run for its money--in fact it's a good deal less expensive with much the same menu. Try Cassis. You too may become a regular.Special Features:
- Very very expensive, but great foodReenaVIPDined on 9/6/2014Trying to make up our minds if the food is worth the noise. Food is great, but it is very very noisy. It is also very expensive. We have to really think if it is all worth the troubleI would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood BistroEastBayOmnivore322Dined on 9/3/2014I like French bistro fare a lot and so wanted to enjoy the neighborhood place, Bistro Cassis. But starting with our waiter, who knew not-a-thing about wine and was inattentive at best, the roast chicken dish my husband ordered was dry, (dry roasted chicken in a French restaurant - unheard of!) and salad greens were tasteless with an oily, bland dressing. The baked sole I ordered was very good, but sent it back to be reheated. Sadly, will not return.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemBruceVIPDined on 9/3/2014On 2 visits, we have enjoyed each dish--the night of the week specials are outstandingSpecial Features:
- CassisAnneVIPDined on 8/29/2014Always our go to place for last minute dining, with and without guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SabrinaVIPDined on 8/15/2014Marco gave us the perfect service. It was a pleasure meeting him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 84 reviews are from the Bistro Cassis Manhattan reviews archive.
- Gem on the West SidepoeticmovesDined on 7/25/2014I've been to Bistro Cassis several times and it's addictive! The food is delicious. Thoroughly enjoyed the onion soup and sole meuniere at my last visit! Our waiter was gracious and helpful. I always highly recommend it to everyone.Special Features:
- raymondDined on 7/21/2014fine traditional french menu, generally reliable. good wine list, comfortable ambience. glad they now take reservations.Special Features:
- Good food. Too noisyJanDVIPDined on 7/18/2014I'll only go back if I can sit outside. The food is reliably good but even sitting in the back @ the quietest table it was too noisy.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/18/2014Always good, never disappoints! We go there every time we are in NYC.Special Features:
- The best croissant everNYDinerVIPDined on 7/12/2014The Eggs Benedict was very good, but I was utterly blown away by the mini-croissant that came as the bread offering before the entrees. The croissant was so tender and buttery, I would have been satisfied scarfing down a whole bowl of them instead of ordering an entree.Special Features:
- TerryDined on 7/11/2014Food was delicious especially the tuna tartare appetizerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Unhappy Bistro Dinner ExperienceLJGVVIPDined on 7/9/2014Even though only one table was taken the staff was not attentive. The waitress actually raised her voice and yelled at me when I inquired about my dessert. The food was mediocre at best. My duck was dry. My guest's fish entree was so small that she left the restaurant hungry. With one glass of wine the bill was well over one hundred dollars. I will not return.
- Over priced FrenchieEquicentricDined on 7/8/2014This is a beautiful spot with a very limited menu which rarely changes. It is very pricey for what is basically just fair French food. It is like a book with a beautiful cover but nothing substantial inside.Special Features:
- Coq au vinBruceVIPDined on 7/8/2014We went for the Tues night special dinner of coq au vin--and it was excellent. The vicvysoise (sp?) and crem brulee were also very good. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.