Bistro Cassis Manhattan
225 Columbus Avenue
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Bistro Cassis Manhattan
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bistrocassisny.com/
- Phone: 2125793966x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Bistro Cassis Manhattan
Authentic French Bistro.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bistro Cassis Manhattan reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (44)romantic (16)great for outdoor dining (12)fit for foodies (12)special occasion (9)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (3)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)good for groups (2)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Dinner with friendsCarolmicVIPDined on 10/20/2014Went to dinner here this past Monday night. We were looking for something in the neighborhood. It was a very good find. We shared an escargot appetizer that was very flavorful and cooked well. They gave us bread and butter and what I believe was a pate spread. I shared the roasted chicken with mixed vegetables and it too was flavorful and good well. The fries were very good as one would expect from a French restaurant. The other friend had a chicken dish too. The bill without any drinks or coffee or desert and without tip was $83.83.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvgoodfoodluvgoodfoodDined on 10/18/2014The French food was as good as good French food in Paris! Everything we ordered came out piping hot and delicious. The server was very attentive and helpful with describing the different choices on the menu. The crispy duck was great. We will definitely go back there when we come to New York next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty but expensiveLizfromCTDined on 10/16/2014This is a nice little restaurant near Lincoln Center. My party of four had four different entrees and all were really delicious. There is limited seating outdoors and a nice medium sized dining room with a low key atmosphere. It is a little pricey but maybe not exactly what you'd want for a very special occasion. Service was attentive without being overbearing so it's a great place to eat if you have after dinner plans.Special Features:
- Just Perfect!JustPerfectDined on 10/11/2014Great prices and good food. The service was impecable.Special Features:
- Wonderful French bistroJohnVIPDined on 10/10/2014Great French bistro on the upper west side. A nice variety of dishes. My wife and I shared a charcuterie platter and then she had a crab slad with avocado and I had scallops and shrimp with leeks. Both delicious. And a silky smooth Pouilly-Fumé.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- catgirlflVIPDined on 10/9/2014My husband loves the mussels. I love the lamb, hamburgers and the calves liver is delicious. Chairs are not comfortable.Special Features:
- Lovely French bistro on uwsmelaminDined on 10/8/2014Cassis is an old favorite but food not as good as once was.Still decent menu and moderate pricesSpecial Features:
- Warm welcome to a SingleJereasyVIPDined on 10/5/2014I was given an excellent table for two, the waiter was hopelessly handsome, tall and friendly, and the filet of sole was somewhat reminiscent of whole Dover sole. I was amused when the waiter asked if I really wanted to order a bottle of wine for one (Yes--I took the leftover with me). When I see that a restaurant does not accept singles reservations I do not ever patronize that restaurant regardless of the size of my party. Thank you for your welcome and a fine dinner, and lots of wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than Expected!rrlernerVIPDined on 10/3/2014It was my first time going to Bistro Cassis and I wasn't sure if I would like the food even though the reviews I had read were positive. But I was far from disappointed. The quality of the ingredients, the preparation and presentation were all excellent and very appreciated. I had the skirt steak and the frisson salad. My two grandsons shared an appetizer of mussels. And for entrées, one had a shrimp dish, the other had the duck. All were very good. So, yes, I would definitely return and recommend this bistro to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/1/2014My daughter and I ate here last week and we were not impressed. Service was good, but the food was lackluster. The pastry in my daughter's dessert was stale--if you are going to have profiteroles on the menu, you need fresh cream puffs every day.
- SoleBruceVIPDined on 10/1/2014The special sole in parchment on Wednesday nights is outstanding. The nightly specials are all truly special--not just something on the menu. Each of them is available only the special night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You can always count on Cassis!MiriamCDined on 9/29/2014If you are looking for delicious french food set in a nice casual bistro setting then you can always count on Cassis to deliver the goods. We have been coming here for 15 years and have never been disappointed!Special Features:
- Good French CuisineKRB13Dined on 9/27/2014As we walked in, we noticed there were no more outdoor tables left, which confused me, as i wrote a note specifically asking for an outdoor table. We were led to the back, then the hostess gestured to a group of tables, and i had to ask her which she meant. I later saw she did this with everyone, but it was not the level of service I was expecting. Once we ordered, however, I realized the charm and authenticity of the food overtook those first shortcomings. I asked for an unusual cocktail, and the server took pains to have it made for me. The bread came with butter and house made pate, which was delicious. The tuna tartare was lovely, and my mussels anise were very good. The night became a wonderful date for me and my husband.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/27/2014Didnt honor my reservation and then pretended like it was cancelled by open table (even though i showed them the live reservation on the app). I used to come here a lot but not anymore. The manager is extremely incompetent
- A stand-by that never lets us downRSMMathewsVIPDined on 9/26/2014We've been fans of Cassis ever since it opened and go there frequently. We find the ambience relaxed and the service excellent. The food is standard French bistro fare--always well executed. This is not your cutting edge restaurant but it gives the nearby Cafe Luxemburg a run for its money--in fact it's a good deal less expensive with much the same menu. Try Cassis. You too may become a regular.Special Features:
- Very very expensive, but great foodReenaVIPDined on 9/6/2014Trying to make up our minds if the food is worth the noise. Food is great, but it is very very noisy. It is also very expensive. We have to really think if it is all worth the troubleI would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood BistroEastBayOmnivore322Dined on 9/3/2014I like French bistro fare a lot and so wanted to enjoy the neighborhood place, Bistro Cassis. But starting with our waiter, who knew not-a-thing about wine and was inattentive at best, the roast chicken dish my husband ordered was dry, (dry roasted chicken in a French restaurant - unheard of!) and salad greens were tasteless with an oily, bland dressing. The baked sole I ordered was very good, but sent it back to be reheated. Sadly, will not return.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemBruceVIPDined on 9/3/2014On 2 visits, we have enjoyed each dish--the night of the week specials are outstandingSpecial Features:
- CassisAnneVIPDined on 8/29/2014Always our go to place for last minute dining, with and without guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SabrinaVIPDined on 8/15/2014Marco gave us the perfect service. It was a pleasure meeting him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem on the West SidepoeticmovesDined on 7/25/2014I've been to Bistro Cassis several times and it's addictive! The food is delicious. Thoroughly enjoyed the onion soup and sole meuniere at my last visit! Our waiter was gracious and helpful. I always highly recommend it to everyone.Special Features:
- raymondDined on 7/21/2014fine traditional french menu, generally reliable. good wine list, comfortable ambience. glad they now take reservations.Special Features:
- Good food. Too noisyJanDVIPDined on 7/18/2014I'll only go back if I can sit outside. The food is reliably good but even sitting in the back @ the quietest table it was too noisy.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/18/2014Always good, never disappoints! We go there every time we are in NYC.Special Features:
- The best croissant everNYDinerVIPDined on 7/12/2014The Eggs Benedict was very good, but I was utterly blown away by the mini-croissant that came as the bread offering before the entrees. The croissant was so tender and buttery, I would have been satisfied scarfing down a whole bowl of them instead of ordering an entree.Special Features:
- TerryDined on 7/11/2014Food was delicious especially the tuna tartare appetizerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Unhappy Bistro Dinner ExperienceLJGVVIPDined on 7/9/2014Even though only one table was taken the staff was not attentive. The waitress actually raised her voice and yelled at me when I inquired about my dessert. The food was mediocre at best. My duck was dry. My guest's fish entree was so small that she left the restaurant hungry. With one glass of wine the bill was well over one hundred dollars. I will not return.
- Over priced FrenchieEquicentricDined on 7/8/2014This is a beautiful spot with a very limited menu which rarely changes. It is very pricey for what is basically just fair French food. It is like a book with a beautiful cover but nothing substantial inside.Special Features:
- Coq au vinBruceVIPDined on 7/8/2014We went for the Tues night special dinner of coq au vin--and it was excellent. The vicvysoise (sp?) and crem brulee were also very good. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014First, I want to assure you that I'm not a habitual complainer. This was our second visit. The first, on Valentine's Day, was average, but worth a return visit. This time , we suggested you and brought a party of 8 friends. I'm very sorry to say that while our party seemed fairly satisfied, the ham and cheese crepe that my wife and I ordered was very dry, and badly needed some piquant sauce to enhance its bland flavor, and maybe also add color and make it look more attractive and inviting. This is sad, because the ambience is very pleasant and truly French, the wines were very good and our waiter was clearly a real professional.
- The following 74 reviews are from the Bistro Cassis Manhattan reviews archive.
- CASSIS-very frenchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/22/2014We skipped the apps and went right to the main courses. We both had the Filet Mignon special with shrimp, spinach and fingerling potatoes. The steak was perfectly cooked and very juicy. The sauce served with it was fantastic. The shrimp were overcooked as they were pretty rubbery. The spinach and potatoes were cooked well and tasted delicious along side the steak and pan sauce. The bread was terrific and the people walking on the street made for good entertainment. One down fall to Cassis, the waiter was extremely french so he was a bit difficult to understand as he spoke so fast. But anyone speaking about food is talking my language so I was able to decipher his code.Special Features:
- Good French FoodJanDVIPDined on 6/21/2014Cassis is a reliable neighborhood French restaurant where the food is consistently good. We especially enjoyed the mussels. It was a pleasure to go there on a not-too-crowded Sat. PM and get a table outside.Special Features:
- Food not as good but service was!mimi10019VIPDined on 6/21/2014Mussels and veggies not as good as I have had before. Ambience and service great.
- Dependable bistrocatgirlflVIPDined on 6/21/2014Great bread, mussels, hamburgers. Glad to have them in the neighborhood. Sometimes service is routine and uninterested. Uncomfortable chairs.Special Features:
- Great, great, greatReenaVIPDined on 6/15/2014We loved everything. We must go back and order more. The food was just fabulous, as was the service. A true find in NYC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014A nice French Bistro - not fancy - wonderful neighborhood placeSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/31/2014Suffice it to say the food is fine but management has rules that do not make it a friendly neighborhood spot.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/25/2014We had a party of 12 for Sunday brunch and everyone was thrilled with their meal, the service was terrific and the prices were extremely reasonable. Would highly recommend this restaurant and although we don't live in NYC we will absolutely make a point of getting there again. I found the restaurant on the internet and consider it a real "find".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OliverVIPDined on 5/22/2014Always good, small accommodating French Bistro. Glad it is in our neighborhood.Special Features:
- fifiDined on 5/21/2014it was an excellent experience. I keep going back and back. one of my friends became an adept. we enjoyed the food, the outdoor seating and the friendly and timely service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.