Bistro Cassis Manhattan
225 Columbus Avenue
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Bistro Cassis Manhattan
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bistrocassisny.com/
- Phone: 2125793966x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Bistro Cassis Manhattan
Authentic French Bistro.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bistro Cassis Manhattan reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (38)fit for foodies (10)great for outdoor dining (10)romantic (8)great for brunch (5)great for lunch (5)special occasion (4)good for groups (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Very very expensive, but great foodReenaVIPDined on 9/6/2014Trying to make up our minds if the food is worth the noise. Food is great, but it is very very noisy. It is also very expensive. We have to really think if it is all worth the troubleI would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood BistroEastBayOmnivore322Dined on 9/3/2014I like French bistro fare a lot and so wanted to enjoy the neighborhood place, Bistro Cassis. But starting with our waiter, who knew not-a-thing about wine and was inattentive at best, the roast chicken dish my husband ordered was dry, (dry roasted chicken in a French restaurant - unheard of!) and salad greens were tasteless with an oily, bland dressing. The baked sole I ordered was very good, but sent it back to be reheated. Sadly, will not return.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemBruceVIPDined on 9/3/2014On 2 visits, we have enjoyed each dish--the night of the week specials are outstandingSpecial Features:
- CassisAnneVIPDined on 8/29/2014Always our go to place for last minute dining, with and without guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SabrinaVIPDined on 8/15/2014Marco gave us the perfect service. It was a pleasure meeting him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem on the West SidepoeticmovesDined on 7/25/2014I've been to Bistro Cassis several times and it's addictive! The food is delicious. Thoroughly enjoyed the onion soup and sole meuniere at my last visit! Our waiter was gracious and helpful. I always highly recommend it to everyone.Special Features:
- raymondDined on 7/21/2014fine traditional french menu, generally reliable. good wine list, comfortable ambience. glad they now take reservations.Special Features:
- Good food. Too noisyJanDVIPDined on 7/18/2014I'll only go back if I can sit outside. The food is reliably good but even sitting in the back @ the quietest table it was too noisy.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/18/2014Always good, never disappoints! We go there every time we are in NYC.Special Features:
- The best croissant everNYDinerVIPDined on 7/12/2014The Eggs Benedict was very good, but I was utterly blown away by the mini-croissant that came as the bread offering before the entrees. The croissant was so tender and buttery, I would have been satisfied scarfing down a whole bowl of them instead of ordering an entree.Special Features:
- TerryDined on 7/11/2014Food was delicious especially the tuna tartare appetizerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Unhappy Bistro Dinner ExperienceLJGVVIPDined on 7/9/2014Even though only one table was taken the staff was not attentive. The waitress actually raised her voice and yelled at me when I inquired about my dessert. The food was mediocre at best. My duck was dry. My guest's fish entree was so small that she left the restaurant hungry. With one glass of wine the bill was well over one hundred dollars. I will not return.
- Over priced FrenchieEquicentricDined on 7/8/2014This is a beautiful spot with a very limited menu which rarely changes. It is very pricey for what is basically just fair French food. It is like a book with a beautiful cover but nothing substantial inside.Special Features:
- Coq au vinBruceVIPDined on 7/8/2014We went for the Tues night special dinner of coq au vin--and it was excellent. The vicvysoise (sp?) and crem brulee were also very good. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014First, I want to assure you that I'm not a habitual complainer. This was our second visit. The first, on Valentine's Day, was average, but worth a return visit. This time , we suggested you and brought a party of 8 friends. I'm very sorry to say that while our party seemed fairly satisfied, the ham and cheese crepe that my wife and I ordered was very dry, and badly needed some piquant sauce to enhance its bland flavor, and maybe also add color and make it look more attractive and inviting. This is sad, because the ambience is very pleasant and truly French, the wines were very good and our waiter was clearly a real professional.
- CASSIS-very frenchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/22/2014We skipped the apps and went right to the main courses. We both had the Filet Mignon special with shrimp, spinach and fingerling potatoes. The steak was perfectly cooked and very juicy. The sauce served with it was fantastic. The shrimp were overcooked as they were pretty rubbery. The spinach and potatoes were cooked well and tasted delicious along side the steak and pan sauce. The bread was terrific and the people walking on the street made for good entertainment. One down fall to Cassis, the waiter was extremely french so he was a bit difficult to understand as he spoke so fast. But anyone speaking about food is talking my language so I was able to decipher his code.Special Features:
- Good French FoodJanDVIPDined on 6/21/2014Cassis is a reliable neighborhood French restaurant where the food is consistently good. We especially enjoyed the mussels. It was a pleasure to go there on a not-too-crowded Sat. PM and get a table outside.Special Features:
- Food not as good but service was!mimi10019VIPDined on 6/21/2014Mussels and veggies not as good as I have had before. Ambience and service great.
- Dependable bistrocatgirlflVIPDined on 6/21/2014Great bread, mussels, hamburgers. Glad to have them in the neighborhood. Sometimes service is routine and uninterested. Uncomfortable chairs.Special Features:
- Great, great, greatReenaVIPDined on 6/15/2014We loved everything. We must go back and order more. The food was just fabulous, as was the service. A true find in NYC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014A nice French Bistro - not fancy - wonderful neighborhood placeSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/31/2014Suffice it to say the food is fine but management has rules that do not make it a friendly neighborhood spot.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/25/2014We had a party of 12 for Sunday brunch and everyone was thrilled with their meal, the service was terrific and the prices were extremely reasonable. Would highly recommend this restaurant and although we don't live in NYC we will absolutely make a point of getting there again. I found the restaurant on the internet and consider it a real "find".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 66 reviews are from the Bistro Cassis Manhattan reviews archive.
- OliverVIPDined on 5/22/2014Always good, small accommodating French Bistro. Glad it is in our neighborhood.Special Features:
- fifiDined on 5/21/2014it was an excellent experience. I keep going back and back. one of my friends became an adept. we enjoyed the food, the outdoor seating and the friendly and timely service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close to Lincoln CenterPRS100Dined on 5/20/2014We love the varied menu at this restaurant that has branches in a few places close to our home and other locations we frequent. Delicious mussels, yummy salads, hamburgers (and those fries!!) with just the right touch of French !!Special Features:
- All goodNikolaiDined on 5/17/2014Everything on the menu is good, service is speedy and attentive, and always enjoy going back. If you like French food, you can't go wrong with Cassis!Special Features:
- The food never disappointsuegdswVIPDined on 5/17/2014This time it was a late brunch, and it was terrific. We decided to go all out and get croque monsieur. How good was that! I got the salad instead of the fries. The wine by the glass is always great, and mimosas are fun, too. I love the lunches because I try to sit outside in the warm weather. Recent dinner was terrific. You are greeted by mousse pate and French bread which is one of the very best you can get. The fish is terrific as are the mussels. This is one of the very best moderately priced French bistros around -- day or night.Special Features:
- Delicious French Bistro foodGloBoDined on 5/4/2014Perfect Escargot in bubbling butter... fantastic french bread. Sole Meuniere was tasty and tender ... served over asparagus. Duck a l'orange delicious and tender with sauce served on the side as requested. Attentive service. perfect vistro atmosphere. Recommend.Special Features:
- Reliable neighborhood Frenchaj260Dined on 5/4/2014If your looking for a casual French restaurant on the Upper West Side, Bistro Cassis is a good choice. The food, ambience and service are above average. The menu contains all of the typical French bistro fare but it is carefully prepared and served. The service is attentive and well paced. The wine list is short but sufficient for a neighborhood bistro.Special Features:
- BroadwayboundDined on 4/26/2014Wonderful location near Lincoln Center, great food with French flair. Advice on the wine list was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A warm lovely welcome to latecomerswhyworryDined on 4/26/2014We reserved for 1:15 Sat., two of us from NJ and PA, coming in from Phila., the third a local resident, uncertain and frail, marking her 81st after a terrible year. We had to call twice, then walked in after 2:15. No problem. The staff, especially the maitresse d' (and owner?) welcomed and tended us warmly and graciously, seeming to intuit the delicacy in the occasion. The oversized lobster sandwiches disappeared without a trace; my tuna tartar wrapped in a cucumber ribbon was likewise excellent. The birthday we'd mentioned in passing was acknowledged at dessert time with a lit candle on the celebrant's delicious cake. About 3:30, we were asked to pay the bill but urged to stay on as long as we liked. Gratefully, we did.Special Features:
- Great BistroClassicVIPDined on 4/18/2014A neighborhood favorite for many years! All the classic bistro fare that you would expect.Special Features:
- never disappointedDeDeVIPDined on 4/18/2014Never disappointed in my meal. Always flavorful and good portions.Special Features:
- Wanted To Love ItDJQ25VIPDined on 4/14/2014Used to have dinner frequenltly at Bistro Cassis when they were on 14th Street; had nothing negative to say when they were at that location. Have been wanting to come here for years but didn't until I heard they were finally accepting reservations. The food was good, nothing to make you blurt out "Mon Dieu!" Also, the scallops Lardon portion was skimpy. Further, they cramped three parties of 3 - 4 people into one corner area when there was room to spread out a bit. Understand this was for the waiter's convenience but given the loudness of the other tables and that they had to squeeze in between to serve, you'd think they would be more conscientious of the diner's experience. I will, perhaps, give in another try. I really want to love it!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodNikolaiDined on 4/12/2014I love going to Cassis because you will always have great food and great service. The place is frequently busy, so it's best to make a reservation. I look forward to my next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aggressive waiterDaffyVIPDined on 4/5/2014Keeps asking if you want to drink over and over totally no polishSpecial Features:
- Casual FrenchKayJayDined on 4/5/2014We've been to Cassis on Long Island & enjoyed it, so when we were looking something within close walking distance to Lincoln Center after our La Boheme matinee, this seemed like a smart choice. The food is decent, the prices reasonable, the service was wonderful and being that we had all dined on French food here in the states as well as in France, we found the experience quite authentic and we were impressed with our server, straight from Nice! I would recommend this place as I myself would return in a heartbeat....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent service but Cranky WaiterCarolynDVIPDined on 3/30/2014A very nice bistro with good food at lower end UWS prices. We love the steamed mussels and asked to be seated at a table that could accommodate the mussels, the waste bowl, the fries, the salad and the wine. A table for two is way too small. Our waiter was not happy with the two of us taking up a table for four. In addition, the woman sitting at a table behind us was waiting for a friend and didn't want to order until he arrived. The waiter made pointed comments all through our meal, such as "enjoy your big table," and "the kitchen is about to close". (Really? At 9pm in Manhattan?) And then he left. We noticed that the service stopped and saw him with his coat heading out the door. Odd behavior during and otherwise pleasant meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Saturday night placefood4allDined on 3/29/2014Were able to make a reservation easily for Saturday night at 8:15. Place became very busy around 9:00. Waiter was attentive, but a bit aloof. French onion soup had nice depth of flavor. My partner said his Spanish style mussels were excellent (large half portion). Entrée portions (lamb shank and short rib) were substantial and delicious. No room left for dessert. Would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.