33 Lono Ave
Kahului, HI 96733Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.casanovamaui.com/
- Phone: (808) 873-3650
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: David Gemberling
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: A private dining room hosting up to 30 people offers a tasteful environment for business meetings, community gatherings and private parties.
- Private Party Contact: Steven 8082831875
A word from Bistro Casanova
Bistro Casanova is the offspring of Casanova in Makawao, an Upcountry institution. Bistro Casanova is smooth, elegant, exquisite and fun. A tropical landscaping refreshes the air surrounding the outside al fresco tables. Bistro Casanova offers Mediterranean fare, its roots coming from the Cinque Terre in Italy (where the owner comes from). Locally grown ingredients are used extensively, as well as Maui grown beef and the freshest fish from Maui's ocean. It's a fusion of old world flavors and Pacific cuisine. Bistro Casanova is a favorite for Happy Hour relaxation, watered by specialty martinis, a creative offering of wines by the glass and carafes of mojiito and margaritas. Tapas (available after 3pm) can be a tasty complement to your drinks, an opening line for your dinner, or dinner itself.Continued
At dinner, Bistro Casanova is a romantic destination for meals before a show or the perfect stop before flying out of Maui or after picking up a friend in nearby Kahului's airport.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Bistro Casanova - Best Restaurants in Kahului ›
Bistro Casanova reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (27)fit for foodies (19)good for groups (19)great for lunch (12)special occasion (10)great for outdoor dining (10)vibrant bar scene (6)hot spot (5)romantic (4)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)notable wine list (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- MauiIibbyVIPDined on 11/8/2014Bistro Casanova is always our "go to" restaurant in Central Maui. We can always count on good food, friendly and efficient service ( especially from Kara and Pietro) and topped off with delicious Affogado for dessert. The Happy Hour offerings for wine are great, too! Mahalo, Bistro...see you again soon!Special Features:
- Great Italian FoodGuidoVIPDined on 11/5/2014I'm Italian , make my own sauce sausage and pasta so I am very particular about eating at a restaurant that serves Italian food. Bistro Casanova has passed the taste test. Their Bolognese sauce is just like mama used to make, not too sweet or acidic.. just right. The pasta was done just right...al dente. They have a great many things on the menu which I am anxious to try since they have proven they are the real Italian deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Always a favorite restaurant when we are in Kahului. We particularly like the paella for two and the moderate Happy Hour price on wine. The Affogado for dessert is delicious! See you again...and again!Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServiceBCMauiDined on 10/28/2014We dine at Casanova's several times a year. The food and service is always great. It is one of our favorite restaurantsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice non-fancy Italian cuisine.FoodloverVIPDined on 10/18/2014This has always been a favorite of our family to come to the restaurant and have a very nice Italian meal. There is nothing really fancy about the restaurant but the food is always really good.if you are looking for a romantic or a classic Italian place this probably isn't for you, but if you're looking for an all-around comfortable and Italian eatery then this is your place.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite!KailuagalDined on 10/14/2014We love Bistro Casanova. The chef does make a difference, as we were disappointed when the sandwiches were small and flavorless. For the most part the appetizers, sandwiches, and entrees are flavorful And well- presented.Special Features:
- Hidden Gem in KahuluifoodgirlDined on 10/13/2014We always make this our last dinner when visiting Maui. It's on the airport side, so you can have a relaxed meal before heading to the airport. It's located in the bottom of an office building, but don't let that fool you. They have a fresh and fairly extensive menu, heavily leaning towards Italian. The calamari and eggplant parmesan are excellent appetizers. The pastas are very good. The service is excellent. You won't be sorry to try them out. Word to the wise-they are not open on Sunday, so plan accordingly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014Food is excellent, but stay away if you want a quiet place. It was VERY noisy....our reservations were at 5 p.m.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KennyDined on 9/12/2014The other 3 people in my party enjoyed their dishes but I was disappointed with my veal scallopini. (3 out of 4 people works out to a "good" rating in my mind.) I thought it was too salty and although I love capers I think there was too much of it and combined with the saltiness the flavors hit me like a thud. It was barely edible but because I was really hungry I ate as much as I could. The product did not come close to living up to expectations. I know I could've sent it back but too often complaining, no matter how polite, can dampen the overall mood of an evening for everyone not just myself. My server was very good and I rounded off my tip to about 20%. I've had good meals here before & I still like these guys. Aloha!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sandwiches and pasta!KailuagalDined on 9/12/2014My friends and I are regulars at bistro Casanova for lunch. We love the veggie sandwiches and calamari!Special Features:
- Great unexpected find!FineDinerVIPDined on 8/26/2014My husband and I were coming back from the road to Hana and craved some good Italian. We were so happy to find this place and the food was great! Just what we needed for a very reasonable cost. The server was very efficient and friendly. My only critique is the fact that the outdoor dining area was really the only option if you wanted to have a conversation with the person you are dining with. The bar was extremely loud.Special Features:
- MauiIibbyVIPDined on 8/22/2014We love th food and great service at Bistro Casanova, and we always book ahead when we are going to a show at the MACC or Iao Theatre or other Central Maui events. This time, we enjoyed everything except...the acoustics are such that noise surrounds you in quick order. The restaurant was not quite full ( and no one in th back room at all) and still, my companions and I could hardly hear each other speak. One particular table in the center of the main room was filled with young women whose voices were quite loud carried throughout the room. So...our experience this time was impacts by the near deafening noise. Next time, BC, can you put up some acoustical tiles to help all of your guests enjoy their dinner??Special Features:
- Finally, fine dining!poindexterreganDined on 8/21/2014Finally, true fine dining in central Maui! Nice to not have to drive 30 miles to get a good meal. Ate here two nights in a row and both times the entire experience was a delight! Great food, great service, nice ambience and atmosphere. The manager stopped by and chatted with us both nights. Pasta dishes were excellent, steaks and chops cooked to perfection. Generous portions. One of those places that we'd like to eventually try every dish on the menu, just to see if they're all equally tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner PlaceClavendonDined on 8/20/2014We enjoyed the dinner. Great menu choices. Food was delicious. Peitro was an excellent waiter. Overall we'll be back.Special Features:
- Great Food, Fun Time - Ask for KaraDrcmauiDined on 8/20/2014The occasion was a Special and Important Business Dinner. Reserved via Open Table with an additional note about whom we were bringing and the importance of everything going "jut right". We were warmly greeted, and immediately seated. The waitress, Kara, was helpful but didn't "hover". She was very attentive in a real stealth manner. Be sure to ask for Kara! Our business associate lives in Las Vegas but, is an executive with an online reservation and review firm - so she travels a lot and is, almost, a professional foodie. She ordered the ravioli, we ordered the Mahi, Cajun-style special. She said the ravioli was some of the best she's ever had and we would order the Cajun-style Mahi, again, it was Great! You can count on Bistro CasanovaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plus and MinusLoisonMauiDined on 8/15/2014Out of 4 dinners we had some good items; clams entre and veal good. Noodles and meatballs and calamari wouldn't be ordered again. Service good. The placed was packed and service great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is lackingtkvn76Dined on 8/8/2014I had a reservation for 2 at 6:45pm. When we walked in to the hostess stand no one was there. No workers looked up at us to notice we were waiting. It took over 5 minutes for someone to finally notice my friend and I and it was kind of uncomfortable standing there just waiting. It shouldn't take that long to be noticed. It was not busy at all but the workers would only attend to the guest that were already seated. A "HI" or "We'll be right with you" would have been nice. Our server/waiter did not smile at all. He seemed annoyed or stressed out. Not very friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long wait timeBeachbuns8Dined on 7/26/2014The place was packed the first 30 min there. It took 30 minutes toget our drinks and an hour to get dinner from when we arrived. I will not be going back at peak dinner time not when there's an event at the Macc. I could not hear my party nor the waitress speak.. There was a lot of "what?" The food was good but asking for drinks, water, and bread with such long wait period resulted in just 15% tip.Special Features:
- Amazing Cuisine!!!KahuluiFoodieDined on 7/23/2014My husband and I shared a Caesar Salad which was delicious...one of the best! My husband had rib eye, scalloped potatoes and marsala sauce. He said it was cooked to perfection! Usually he uses A1, but the mushroom marsala sauce was amazing! I had Trofie Al Pesto Genovese w/ Scallops! Holy moly, I enjoyed every bite...what a great dish! I also had 2 lychee martinins! I was only going to have one, but the first was so good that I couldn't stop at one. Natalie (bartender) suggested the peach vodka which made it all the better! Pietro was attentive and offered suggestions, but was not overbearing as there were only a few tables in the restaurant! Overall, one of the best dining experiences we've had!Special Features:
- The following 150 reviews are from the Bistro Casanova reviews archive.
- MauiIibbyVIPDined on 7/11/2014We always enjoy coming to this restaurant...and we think it is the best restaurant in Central Maui. It is convenie t to the Maui Arts and Cultural Center anspd the Iao Theatre. Keep up the good work, folks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyableglo4uDined on 7/11/2014Our waiter was excellent and stayed on top of fulfilling all of our needs. The food was very reasonably priced and happily very good. The steak was tender, muchrooms delicious, calamari excellent and Paella was filling. The topper was the desert which was decatant and absolutely to die for. Probably the only negative that even comes to mind is it was a little noisy. But part of that happened to be due to the party sitting next to us and that isn't the fault of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great experienceMakeThataDoubleDined on 7/11/2014I believe our server's name was Jessie. Very personable, and she made great recommendations. The hostess that night was a crack up and we had fun with her too. We had the Paella and Rib Eye. As good as it was, there was no way we were going to finish them both. It was a lot and we actually shared. Also for dessert we both had some kind of ice cream with Espresso. That was killer. In the end, had a great experience will be coming back agin.Special Features:
- FantasticLeedoDined on 7/11/2014Just arrived from an outer island business trip in time to catch dinner and the Lisa Loeb concert at the MACC. Ordered the carafe of Mojito which was happy hour price and very refreshing. I ordered the Grigliata De Verdura and was very happy with my order. My wife and a friend ordered the shrimp and lobster salad with chianti. Everyone was happy with their order. We had more than enough time to make the concert too. Our server Kara was very kind, helpful and attentive. Can't wait to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingfoodieDined on 6/28/2014We were celebrating our wedding anniversary. It was our first time dining here. I wanted to order the New York, but it turned out that they were all out. It was only 6:45pm! I settled for the paiea instead, it was made for two, but I thought I'd try it anyway. When it came it looked like a red mess of things jumbled together, you couldn't see the seafood. One taste was enough, it was so spicy. It tasted more like a jambalaya than paiea. Yuck!Special Features:
- Simply DeliciousHighwaymanVIPDined on 6/20/2014Took a little time to be seated as the restaurant was very busy. Food was excellent and worth the wait. I'll be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MauiIibbyVIPDined on 6/18/2014We always come to Bistro Casanova when we drive frm the West Side to Wailuku for shows at the MACC or Iao Theatre. We usually bring friends or visitors to the island...and are never disappointed in any way. Food is excellent, generous portions, and the wait staff is helpful, friendly and professional. How nice to have a restaurant that is consistent, dependable, friendly and serving great food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great resturantlehuaDined on 5/31/2014I absolutely love eating here, the food is great and priced just right. The atmosphere is very relaxing and inviting. Will go back to there over and over againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tastydancingheartDined on 5/24/2014the menu has some good variety. all the dishes we had were flavorful and well-prepared. The inside restaurant was very noisy and a little too air conditioned but the outside remedied that. I think the quality of the food preparation was better than the mother restaurant, Cassanova's in Makawao.I would recommend this to a friend.
- MauiIibbyVIPDined on 5/24/2014It is predictable...Bistro Casanova always delivers high quality food, excellence in customer service and a dining experience that will make you want to keep coming back. We do and are never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find for dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/10/2014The food and service were very good. We had salad with strawberries, beets, goat cheese and nuts with a delicious dressing. I had a ravioli taps with an orange sauce that was excellent. My husband had Tagliatelle Bolognese with tasty meatballs over pasts, which he enjoyed also. We were headed for a performance at the MAC and the waiter made sure we were served in a timely manner. We will definitely return to Bistro Casanova.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem in KahuluiMauiIibbyVIPDined on 5/2/2014Whenever we have theater tickets at the MACC or the Iao Theatre, we book our pre show dinner for Bistro Casanova. We are always pleased with the menu with fresh and interesting Italian fare ( including a happy hour assortment of wine at very reasonable prices) , the wait staff are charming, friendly and efficient, and a lively environment. Thank you for being a treat in Kahului!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late Lunch w/FriendsBennyDined on 4/16/2014Had a late lunch (around 1 pm). Service was very good, but food coming out of the kitchen was a bit slow. Food was tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, service not so.LeoretzDined on 4/15/2014The restaurant was not very busy, our party of 3 was seated quickly. The menu was good and the food was excellent. However the waiter seemed to have other things to do. He appeared arrogant when he took our order and never offered ground pepper or cheese for the pasta until asked. ELeoretven then someone else brought the condiments. Overall not that great an experience.
- Downtown Kahului does notMauiIibbyVIPDined on 4/12/2014Downtown Kahului does not offer much in terms of nice restaurants...except for Bistro Casanova. This charming restaurant, housed in one of the many strip malls, has great food at reasonable prices ( we liked the capellini with six generous sized Shrimp in a light yet tasty cream sauce, and Affogatto for dessert...yum!!) and friendly and efficient wait staff. We heartily recommend this delightful spot, near shopping, the MACC and the Iao Theatre, as a pre show treat.Special Features:
- Bistro Cassanova is an excellentThomDined on 4/1/2014Bistro Cassanova is an excellent restaurant providing good Italian dishes, good service in an upscale atmosphere.Special Features:
- Well, I'm not a grumbler butBlahDined on 3/29/2014Well, I'm not a grumbler but I'm refined! First greeting was lovely, it set the pace for my expectations. We sat, the plastic cover kept slipping all over the place on the table. Two things we wanted to order where out. Got the tuna cakes that were burnt and too thick, and full of mush. The little salad on the plate were brown. I must say the mahi wraps were tasty but I felt like it needed a little more quinoa and little bigger portion of fish to fit perfectly on the lettuce. The tiramisu was just alright I could live without it. I had an edge piece that had very little ricotta cheese .....booooooo wasn't too enjoyable. Execution and consistency could have been better!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Jewel in KahuluiMauiIibbyVIPDined on 3/8/2014The list of fine dining establishments may be be short in Kahului, but Cafe Bistro is decidedly the best and worthy of high praise on all accounts. My husband and I dine ther whenever we have evening engagements on the East side of Maui. This particular night we enjoyed the ahi appetizer , pasta with creamy, tasty sauce and capellini with shrimp. And for dessert we Topped off with Affogado with generous portions of ice cream. There is also a happy hour that offers a half carafe of decent wine for just five dollars. We love this restaurant and think the wait staff is always helpful, charming and efficient. We have not been to their other restaurant in Makawao but we plan to go the next time we are Up Country.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GOOD FOOD SLOW SERVICEFRANKDined on 3/1/2014GOOD FOOD SLOW SERVICE. We got seated at 5:30. Food did not arrive until 6:15Special Features:
- Great find!leonDined on 2/25/2014We were there for an early light dinner that turned out to be during their happy hour. The house wines, at $5 for a half litre caraffe, were surprisingly good. We shared 4 plates from their tapas menu. These were uniformly good and tasty and were just perfect for what we wanted - like 2 good sized appetizers for each of the 2 of us. The servers were friendly and attentive.All of this including 2 caraffes of wine and tip for about $70.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- valentine dinnerTommyDined on 2/14/2014We like this place and go there often before concerts. Great food and wine at fair pricesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.