4518 N Lincoln Ave
Chicago, IL 60625Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bistrocampagne.com/
- Phone: (773) 271-6100
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9ish, Friday 5:30pm - 10ish, Saturday 5:00pm - 10:30pm Sunday:brunch 11am - 2pm; dinner: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Comfort Food, French
- Executive Chef: Adam Dittmer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact Alex Uribe for details
- Entertainment: Every Sunday join us for dinner and jazz with the Matt Young Group
- Special Events: Check our website for upcoming Wine & Beer Pairing events.
A word from Bistro Campagne
Bistro Campagne is a warm and friendly neighborhood restaurant in the tradition of a true French bistro. From the beginning, Bistro Campagne has strived to capture and express that ephemeral quality found in favorite small neighborhood bistros in Paris and rural France: the sense of welcome, ease, fun conversation & and of course excellent food. The setting is a charming blend of prairie-inspired decor and lively Gallic spirit. It is the food, however, that is at the heart of a great bistro, and Chef Michael Altenberg offers a seasonally changing menu of classic bistro fare that is based on the best ingredients he can find. His commitment to organic agriculture leads him to seek products from local organic farmers throughout our Midwestern growing season, and even from organic farms on the west coast throughout the winter. Bistro Campagne is committed to the use of organic food products and strongly supports the sustainable, low impact agriculture movement.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Bistro Campagne - Best Restaurants in Lincoln Square ›
Bistro Campagne reviews from OpenTable diners
188 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (142)romantic (118)fit for foodies (113)great for outdoor dining (102)special occasion (100)notable wine list (46)great for brunch (30)good for groups (15)hot spot (9)great for lunch (5)late-night find (5)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- luluDined on 11/26/2014Fabulous. Food, service, ambience were wonderful. No complaints from this hard to please diner. I would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good vibe average foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/26/2014I came to this restaurant extremely excited as I have eaten at some the best french restuarants in chicago and sorounding suburbs. So I made a reservation and took my partner for dinner. The vibe was good, nice decor,great service. You can feel the hospitality yet more upscale type environment. The appetizers were good not great. The main dishes were very average. Presentation slightly above average. The taste was average at best. The Amish chicken lacked flavor,and the trout was good but I guess I expected it to be great. The dessert was below averge. I had creme brule. Maybe it was just a bad day for the chefs, but certainly I expected better quality food. The only thing I believe I really savored was the escargot.
- You can't go wrongZenchantDined on 11/21/2014I'll keep coming back. Very pleasant atmosphere. Not pretentious but not lowscale. Great-tasting meals. The mussels are wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls EventAJRYDined on 11/7/2014A very pleasant every which included good wine and a delicious appetizer and salad. It was very comfortable to have a conversation and we were not rushed. I've been coming here for a number of years and have been recommending it to friends who also have enjoyed their experience.Special Features:
- Bistro Compagne-Ain't What it WasRickDined on 11/5/2014We had the Price-Fix. I had the trout; She had a pork chop. Both were swimming in grease. Well, probably butter. Including the string beans. We both had mussels as appetizers. The sauce was tasty; the mussels tiny. For dessert, we had the bread pudding which had more in common with a Cinnabon roll than any bread pudding that I've ever had. Sugary. We will go back to Bistro Compagne, for old-times sake, and to see if this was just an aberration. We can no longer recommend the place to friends who want a good french restaurant in Chicago.
- Consistently WelcomingJeremyDined on 11/5/2014Bistro Campagne has become a regular ‘go-to’ for any occasion. Perfect for formal entertaining, celebrating events, a romantic evening, midweek dinner or a relaxing brunch. Part of that versatility comes from the amazing service, warmth of welcome and a wide-ranging menu. Last visit I had the potato and salt cod croquettes as an appetizer and the Foie de Veau as an entrée – possibly the best melt in your mouth liver. My guests enjoyed the seasonal soup, beef cheeks and salmon all to unanimous approval. Bar service is exceptional all around. It’s rare to find a restaurant combining such a welcoming, neighborhood café feel with great food and delightful service. The lovely patio garden is just a bonus in warm weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always makes for a special meal.delicieuseDined on 11/3/2014The quality ingredients and classic preparations make for a real French flavor in the plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great venueOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/2/2014I love this bistro, especially for the outdoor dining in warm weather. Unfortunately, it was too cold when we visited. Food and service are great . But the ambiance is outstanding. I wish we had a place like this in the northwest suburbs.Special Features:
- Best birthday dinner!eclecticthinkerDined on 11/1/2014I just want to say that this was the best dinner experience that I have had i n a long time. They were busy, but our server made us feel like we were the only couple there. Her recommendations were spot on from the bubbly rose, to the pork chop. I am eager to return.Special Features:
- Excellent dinnerKarelDined on 11/1/2014The dishes were exquisite and the service was excellent. We have been to Bistro Campagne several times and have always been very happy with the experience. This time, the dinner was delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantabulousGoldieDined on 10/30/2014Hands down, one of the dining experiences that I've had in a long time. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic gem, great menuYennyennyVIPDined on 10/30/2014I felt like I has stumbled into a local favorite somewhere in France. The menu was excellent and avoided all the expected, stereotypical french dishes. Instead - it featured seasonal, well thought out dishes that made it hard to pick just one! We will for sure go back. Also - totally unpretentious which can sometime be hard to find with french restaurants ;-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Special OccasionSbraunDined on 10/29/2014Food was amazing, we both did the pre fix with wine pairings. Great deal for the food and wine under $50 for each person. Amazing ambiance for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/25/2014The food was outstanding. The staff incredibly attentive. I had the roast chicken---It was great. I love the location i Lincoln SquareSpecial Features:
- Great FindredfisherDined on 10/24/2014Went with some friends who live in the neighborhood, but who have never been. We all enjoyed it, great food, service and atmosphere. The frites could have been a bit "crispier" but all-in-all everything was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentmimiDined on 10/24/2014In any season this is a warm and welcoming bistro serving French comfort food. Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependably LovelyGrimsbyDined on 10/23/2014I am very pleased that I chose to spend my 60th birthday dining at Bistro Campagne with my husband, children and their partners. We have been to Bistro C many times and have always enjoyed the food, wine, atmosphere and service and know we can count on a lovely meal. Two of my offspring are food industry professionals (pretty particular about where we eat!) and they, too, are always happy to choose B.C. Our last visit was as good as we've come to expect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pre fixeovidDined on 10/22/2014First time diner. Excellent service. The food was perfectly prepared and flavorful. I will definitely go back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2014I had indicated on my reservation this dinner was a celebration for my upcoming retirement. My wife and I were seated at a beautifully located table followed with two complimentary glasses of champagne by our waiter for this celebration. Quite a start to our 5 PM reservation but followed by excellent food recommendation and service. As I indicated, very pleasantly surprised and would come again in spite of the free champagne which I made up for with the other wine that was ordered.Special Features:
- Yummm!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/16/2014Outstanding. We went with a group of friends to celebrate a birthday. We were not rushed and enjoyed an excellent meal. It is expensive but well worth it.Special Features:
- nonameVIPDined on 10/13/2014The food is good, but I think it is a little overpriced. I went there because I had a concert at the OTSFM, but if I was just going for French, I would go somewhere else for better food and price (Le Bouchon.)Special Features:
- They are back!FXJJRVIPDined on 10/11/2014Food, service is back to the high level set before the founding chef passed away. We will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love the escargotCJDiningVIPDined on 10/7/2014I recently had dinner with a friend. We both loved the escargot -- very tender. The combination of apples, blue cheese and the dressing in the salad de pommes is very good. We both had the trout. I thought it was also very good. However, my friend thought removing the skin from the fillet was too much work.Special Features:
- Wonderful Romantic Spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/2/2014My husband and I ate at Bistro Campagne the night we were engaged - and just returned last week to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary!! This lovely little spot did not disappoint! Incredible food and service - we truly felt like royalty. The whole staff made it a great and memorable experience once again :) Special thanks to Alex for picking out one of the best wines we've ever had!! A great place to celebrate!!Special Features:
- A winnerEatoutalotVIPDined on 9/29/2014All four of us enjoyed every bite. The service was thoughtful without being intrusive. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful RestaurantGabbyDined on 9/29/2014Bistro Campagne is a wonderful small restaurant. The ingredients are all locally sourced and organic. The menu is varied and everything we ate was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accomodatingJudyDined on 9/29/2014Our group of 6 (3 couples) have a 5-year tradition of having dinner together in the lovely garden on a late summer evening. Unfortunately, this year the weather suddenly got cool after our drinks were served. Our waiter recommended that we go indoors so we would be more comfortable -- even though he "lost" our table to another server. The staff was very accommodating and most concerned about our comfort and made the move from the garden to the dining room as easy as possible.Special Features:
- Wasn't for meCountryfrenchfanDined on 9/27/2014I was supposed to be out with my wife but due to complications I ended up taking my daughter. The whole scene was weird being at a romantic, country French restaurant with my daughter. So granted my mood was somewhat off but I thought the food was very mediocre. Indoor it was loud and I had a hard time hearing my daughter when she was talking to me. I was pretty disappointed with the whole experience which, as I mentioned right away, could totally have been due to my weird turn of events that lead to me not being out with my wife. Either way, I don't see myself going back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/24/2014I have dined here several times and always find it comfortable with good service and very good food. This visit was no exception.Special Features:
- Great Special Occasion spot.ZwissBeatsDined on 9/21/2014My wife and I travel to Chicago for our 1yr wedding anniversary. I made a note in my reservation about it and they team at Bistro went above and beyond. From champagne to a candle with our creme brulee, to our amazing server, it was a fantastic choice to celebrate and surprise my wife. The food was amazing, can't believe my wife finished it all, so good. They had live background music of a guitarist and stand-up bass player playing smooth music. I don't think I could have found a better spot. If anyone writes a bad review on this place, I challenge them to really think about their mood and attitude before leaving, because this is a 5 star gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Country French Cuisine60202foodieVIPDined on 9/21/2014If you can't make the trip to France then a visit to Bistro Campagne is a fair substitute. This a charming relatively small venue with authentic cuisine francaise. Escargot or steak tartare for appetizers, perfectly sauteed trout and an exquisite bread pudding were the dinner choices, and all hit the mark. This has become the go-to spot for casual dining on an occasion or for no reason at all.Special Features:
- Pleasant & comfortableHappyEaterDined on 9/21/2014The food is delicious. The ambiance is so much - at once, relaxing and romantic. They have excellent musicians playing perfect dinner music on Sundays after 6:00 p.m. They have a very appealing outdoor courtyard with heat lamps. We love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Find In Lincoln ParkirwinVIPDined on 9/19/2014A superb french bistro in Lincoln Square! The steak and trout were outstanding as were the cocktails and wine. The friendly and knowledgeable staff only enhanced the evening. We have certainly placed this on our list of keepers.Special Features:
- CeldinerVIPDined on 9/18/2014first time diners .Food was excellent for the price point and nice wine list. Service was very good and knowledgeable about the ingredients and preparation as we had a dairy allergy in group. We ate early(6 pm) which helped the conversation level-by time we left the noise level was reaching difficult levels. Definitely would go again if in the neighborhood. found on open table and reviews were accurate.Special Features:
- Great French FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Always outstanding! BC is one of my favorite restaurants hands down. By far the best in Lincoln Square...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Endless bowl of mussles great dealOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/16/2014Our 9 year old son is a huge fan of mussles. He definitely got his money worth with our dinner there 2 nights ago. Our entire party enjoyed there meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/12/2014The quality of the food here has diminished just a little since the death of the original chef, but is still quite good. What makes up for any of that is the exceptional quality of the service. The attention paid is professional, friendly, accommodating, and unintrusive; in other words, perfect.Special Features:
- Intimate unpretentious French!BazNChicagoDined on 9/11/2014This is a marvelous hidden, out of the way place. The ambience is unparalleled from the street on which it's set. It's intimate without being pretentious. It's not one large open space, but several little rooms with fantastic lighting. My date and I had the escargot. A seemingly simple dish to prepare was one of the most exceptional either of us ever had. Enough garlic to rid the entire city of vampires, it had parsley and breadcrumbs to give it body. The snails weren't overdone. The salad Lyonnaise was marvelous (the egg was just north of overdone). The trout was done to perfection, and the beef cheeks, were extremely tender. The chocolate pot of creme for desert was a fantastic way to end dinner. Cocktails were generously poured.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JeanVIPDined on 9/6/2014This was our third time here and, once again, it was a great dinner. Classic French bistro fare, including the best French onion soup I've had anywhere. Tres yummy.Special Features:
- Perfect Date Night RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014Bistro Campagne was a perfect lunch or dinner restaurant for romantic dining. We had an early dinner. The service was attentive and warm. The outdoor patio was romantic and beautiful. It felt like a backyard but at least like you weren't in a big city. The indoor part of the restaurant was warm and charming too. The food was delicious. The steak and liver were perfectly cooked. The salads were fresh and interesting. We definitely intend to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.