4518 N Lincoln Ave
Chicago, IL 60625Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bistrocampagne.com/
- Phone: 7732716100x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9ish, Friday 5:30pm - 10ish, Saturday 5:00pm - 10:30pm Sunday:brunch 11am - 2pm; dinner: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Comfort Food, French
- Executive Chef: Adam Dittmer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact Alex Uribe for details
- Entertainment: Every Sunday join us for dinner and jazz with the Matt Young Group
- Special Events: Check our website for upcoming Wine & Beer Pairing events.
A word from Bistro Campagne
Bistro Campagne is a warm and friendly neighborhood restaurant in the tradition of a true French bistro. From the beginning, Bistro Campagne has strived to capture and express that ephemeral quality found in favorite small neighborhood bistros in Paris and rural France: the sense of welcome, ease, fun conversation & and of course excellent food. The setting is a charming blend of prairie-inspired decor and lively Gallic spirit. It is the food, however, that is at the heart of a great bistro, and Chef Michael Altenberg offers a seasonally changing menu of classic bistro fare that is based on the best ingredients he can find. His commitment to organic agriculture leads him to seek products from local organic farmers throughout our Midwestern growing season, and even from organic farms on the west coast throughout the winter. Bistro Campagne is committed to the use of organic food products and strongly supports the sustainable, low impact agriculture movement.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Bistro Campagne - Best Restaurants in Lincoln Square ›
Bistro Campagne reviews from OpenTable diners
182 reviews since June 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (142)great for outdoor dining (120)romantic (116)fit for foodies (102)special occasion (97)notable wine list (43)great for brunch (26)good for groups (16)great for lunch (8)hot spot (8)scenic view (7)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Yummm!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/16/2014Outstanding. We went with a group of friends to celebrate a birthday. We were not rushed and enjoyed an excellent meal. It is expensive but well worth it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/13/2014The food is good, but I think it is a little overpriced. I went there because I had a concert at the OTSFM, but if I was just going for French, I would go somewhere else for better food and price (Le Bouchon.)Special Features:
- They are back!FXJJRVIPDined on 10/11/2014Food, service is back to the high level set before the founding chef passed away. We will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love the escargotCJDiningVIPDined on 10/7/2014I recently had dinner with a friend. We both loved the escargot -- very tender. The combination of apples, blue cheese and the dressing in the salad de pommes is very good. We both had the trout. I thought it was also very good. However, my friend thought removing the skin from the fillet was too much work.Special Features:
- Wonderful Romantic Spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/2/2014My husband and I ate at Bistro Campagne the night we were engaged - and just returned last week to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary!! This lovely little spot did not disappoint! Incredible food and service - we truly felt like royalty. The whole staff made it a great and memorable experience once again :) Special thanks to Alex for picking out one of the best wines we've ever had!! A great place to celebrate!!Special Features:
- A winnerEatoutalotVIPDined on 9/29/2014All four of us enjoyed every bite. The service was thoughtful without being intrusive. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful RestaurantGabbyDined on 9/29/2014Bistro Campagne is a wonderful small restaurant. The ingredients are all locally sourced and organic. The menu is varied and everything we ate was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accomodatingJudyDined on 9/29/2014Our group of 6 (3 couples) have a 5-year tradition of having dinner together in the lovely garden on a late summer evening. Unfortunately, this year the weather suddenly got cool after our drinks were served. Our waiter recommended that we go indoors so we would be more comfortable -- even though he "lost" our table to another server. The staff was very accommodating and most concerned about our comfort and made the move from the garden to the dining room as easy as possible.Special Features:
- Wasn't for meCountryfrenchfanDined on 9/27/2014I was supposed to be out with my wife but due to complications I ended up taking my daughter. The whole scene was weird being at a romantic, country French restaurant with my daughter. So granted my mood was somewhat off but I thought the food was very mediocre. Indoor it was loud and I had a hard time hearing my daughter when she was talking to me. I was pretty disappointed with the whole experience which, as I mentioned right away, could totally have been due to my weird turn of events that lead to me not being out with my wife. Either way, I don't see myself going back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/24/2014I have dined here several times and always find it comfortable with good service and very good food. This visit was no exception.Special Features:
- Great Special Occasion spot.ZwissBeatsDined on 9/21/2014My wife and I travel to Chicago for our 1yr wedding anniversary. I made a note in my reservation about it and they team at Bistro went above and beyond. From champagne to a candle with our creme brulee, to our amazing server, it was a fantastic choice to celebrate and surprise my wife. The food was amazing, can't believe my wife finished it all, so good. They had live background music of a guitarist and stand-up bass player playing smooth music. I don't think I could have found a better spot. If anyone writes a bad review on this place, I challenge them to really think about their mood and attitude before leaving, because this is a 5 star gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Country French Cuisine60202foodieVIPDined on 9/21/2014If you can't make the trip to France then a visit to Bistro Campagne is a fair substitute. This a charming relatively small venue with authentic cuisine francaise. Escargot or steak tartare for appetizers, perfectly sauteed trout and an exquisite bread pudding were the dinner choices, and all hit the mark. This has become the go-to spot for casual dining on an occasion or for no reason at all.Special Features:
- Pleasant & comfortableHappyEaterDined on 9/21/2014The food is delicious. The ambiance is so much - at once, relaxing and romantic. They have excellent musicians playing perfect dinner music on Sundays after 6:00 p.m. They have a very appealing outdoor courtyard with heat lamps. We love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Find In Lincoln ParkirwinVIPDined on 9/19/2014A superb french bistro in Lincoln Square! The steak and trout were outstanding as were the cocktails and wine. The friendly and knowledgeable staff only enhanced the evening. We have certainly placed this on our list of keepers.Special Features:
- CeldinerVIPDined on 9/18/2014first time diners .Food was excellent for the price point and nice wine list. Service was very good and knowledgeable about the ingredients and preparation as we had a dairy allergy in group. We ate early(6 pm) which helped the conversation level-by time we left the noise level was reaching difficult levels. Definitely would go again if in the neighborhood. found on open table and reviews were accurate.Special Features:
- Great French FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Always outstanding! BC is one of my favorite restaurants hands down. By far the best in Lincoln Square...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Endless bowl of mussles great dealOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/16/2014Our 9 year old son is a huge fan of mussles. He definitely got his money worth with our dinner there 2 nights ago. Our entire party enjoyed there meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/12/2014The quality of the food here has diminished just a little since the death of the original chef, but is still quite good. What makes up for any of that is the exceptional quality of the service. The attention paid is professional, friendly, accommodating, and unintrusive; in other words, perfect.Special Features:
- Intimate unpretentious French!BazNChicagoDined on 9/11/2014This is a marvelous hidden, out of the way place. The ambience is unparalleled from the street on which it's set. It's intimate without being pretentious. It's not one large open space, but several little rooms with fantastic lighting. My date and I had the escargot. A seemingly simple dish to prepare was one of the most exceptional either of us ever had. Enough garlic to rid the entire city of vampires, it had parsley and breadcrumbs to give it body. The snails weren't overdone. The salad Lyonnaise was marvelous (the egg was just north of overdone). The trout was done to perfection, and the beef cheeks, were extremely tender. The chocolate pot of creme for desert was a fantastic way to end dinner. Cocktails were generously poured.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JeanVIPDined on 9/6/2014This was our third time here and, once again, it was a great dinner. Classic French bistro fare, including the best French onion soup I've had anywhere. Tres yummy.Special Features:
- Perfect Date Night RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014Bistro Campagne was a perfect lunch or dinner restaurant for romantic dining. We had an early dinner. The service was attentive and warm. The outdoor patio was romantic and beautiful. It felt like a backyard but at least like you weren't in a big city. The indoor part of the restaurant was warm and charming too. The food was delicious. The steak and liver were perfectly cooked. The salads were fresh and interesting. We definitely intend to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food. Poor Service.AnneKesslerDined on 8/31/2014Intimate charming ambiance and really good food. My friend had the Amish Chicken and it was moist and succulent and my hanger steak was fork tender; the sauce perfectly complimented the frites. A perfect French Bistro meal. However, the service was poor. It started out excellent and fell off quickly. Our server never took our main entree order until about 20 minutes after we finished our appetizer. I had to get up to flag our table attendant and ask to order our entrees. Another server returned to take our order. Will I return to BC? No. While the food was really good and the ambiance lovely so much of a dining experience is service. There're just too many other restaurants in the Chicago food scene that warrant my attention or return.Special Features:
- Great diningAlleyoopDined on 8/29/2014Outstanding place with great food and service. This was my third or fourth visit to Bistro Campagne and it remains a "go to" place for a fine dining experience. One of the best outdoor areas in the city. It's a very cozy dining experience, great for intimate dinners for two to small groups. Wine and liquor menus are good but not what I consider outstanding especially when it comes to Shiraz and Cabernet in a medium price range, but some nice selections.Special Features:
- Expected More.NALasiukDined on 8/29/2014Food was okay. Liked the prices on the wine list but the champagne was warm. Mac n Cheese was really good.Special Features:
- EatwellDined on 8/29/2014Always a friendly and welcoming staff. Very good food with choices for everyone. Charming atmosphere. Love to eat outdoors whenever possible in their pretty garden areas. We went to Bistro Campagne for the first time because someone gave us a gift certificate as a present. Now we give gift certificates as presents to others because we enjoy Bistro Campagne very much. It is definitely a restaurant to go to on a regular basis.Special Features:
- Great foodPatrickDDined on 8/26/2014Always reminds me of France the warmth and wonderful food is greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Put this on your favorite list!StinaDined on 8/24/2014This is my "go to" place whether it's a romantic night out, a quick afternoon lunch for delicious onion soup or a special event celebration. The ambiance is wonderful, outdoor seating is a bonus in the nice weather but inside is just a quaint and charming as well. Staff is very knowledgeable and accommodating. You can't go wrong with anything on the menu but the steak frites and hamburger are out of this world! We also took a friend there last weekend and he has a very severe dairy allergy, they didn't think twice about it; were very careful about his ordering and to let him know what he could and couldn't eat. Bistro Campagne is worth putting on your favorite list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful findGoldieVIPDined on 8/23/2014Although it took us over one-hour from Northbrook, this restaurant was well worth it, although somewhat pricey. The food was outstanding from appetizers (tomato salad, steak tartare, croquettes) to entrees (trout, hangar steak, beef cheeks) to an absolutely delicious dessert (berry crumble with vanilla ice cream). The restaurant has several small rooms, creating intimacy. Service was just fair--our server seemed somewhat indifferent, but efficient. We will return but probably not on Saturday night when one has to fight the traffic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French comfort foodjlo1VIPDined on 8/23/2014Great, hearty, yummy French onion soup -- best in the city. The pappardelle appetizer was out of this world with flavor! Beef cheeks were tender, moist, and paired well with the potatoes and spinach. Attentive, knowledgable staff. I always wish they had more appetizing salads -- too much frisee and radicchio, which I find too bitter. Otherwise, though, always a pleasure and a comfortable place to go to get authentic French food.Special Features:
- Perfect Birthday CelebrationBillDined on 8/23/2014My wife's 50th birthday was made very special by our experience here. We sat on the patio with the most amazing ambiance and enjoyed some of the best traditional French cuisine Chicago has to offer. Service was perfect! Everyone in our party had a wonderful time. Thank you - we will be back!Special Features:
- Bistro Campagne Never DisappointsWexie2VIPDined on 8/22/2014My spouse and I had our first date here three years ago and we still come back regularly. My folks were in town for a visit and it was a great multi-generational evening.Special Features:
- Your new favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/22/2014Amazing cuisine and you will always want to come back. You are pampering yourself when you dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but at a priceFoodPandaSaysDined on 8/21/2014I'm not a huge fan of french cuisine, but I do have to admit that the items on the menu all sounded very good. I ordered the Salmon and my friend got the steak. His was admittedly better than mine, but both were extremely tasty. The wine list was also pretty extensive. All I can recommend is the Pinot Nior as that's all I had. My one word of advice is do not come here if you're not willing to drop near $100 dollars for a dinner for two. It's a wonderful place with a nice ambiance, but it is kind of pricey. Maybe reserve it special occasions.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood RestaurantMangebienDined on 8/17/2014We have eaten here a few times and every time it has been wonderful! The food is excellent and the vibe is great. I had the Amish chicken which was very tasty and moist. It was covered with thin onion rings which was delicious. The chicken was placed on a mushroom sauce which added to the overall taste. My wife had the trout which was done perfectly and she loved it. Prior to our main courses, my wife had the salad Lyonaise which was tasty. I had the Heritage Tomato salad which was excellent! For dessert, we shared the chocolate pudding which was a wonderful ending to our superb dinner!Special Features:
- feeling frenchChellea312Dined on 8/17/2014I've been here twice, once before I went to Paris and once after. Both times I had a great meal and great service. After visiting France I feel it is a great place to go to bring back a few memories. It is also great for a date or a nice dinner with family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was good, but service wasn'tolafDined on 8/17/2014It was my first time to have brunch there. The food was excellent, but the service was slow. It wasn't busy but we had to wait for our not-so-friendly waitress for a looooooooooong time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional, as alwayslovelocallyownedplacesDined on 8/13/2014I have never been disappointed by a meal at Bistro Campagne. This season's special delights were no exception. The ingredients are as local and fresh as possible, the presentation is simple but lovely, and the wine pairings thoughtful.The friend I brought with me needed her meal to be gluten-free, and the server knew what was in every dish and was able to help her choose a meal that was delicious and safe for her. For our budget this is a special occasion place, but I do try to come up with special occasions as often as possible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible live music on SundaysAmberVIPDined on 8/10/2014The beautiful live music and charming patio are the best reasons to dine at Bistro Campagne. The food is classic bistro fare, not the best in the city but by no means bad. Everything is pretty consistent although none of the food was memorable. A salad was overdressed, the trout slightly overcooked and the stone fruit cobbler that could have some salt. This is truly a cute place to go for a date though or maybe just a glass of wine.Special Features:
- OutstandingWillow3dDined on 8/9/2014Made a reservation for our 10 year anniversary and had one of the best dinning experiences that we've experienced. GREAT outdoor dinning, Steak and Chicken dinners were perfectly cooked and tasted great. Staff was awesome... Welcoming, attentive, and fast. We look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/8/2014Stopped by after Shakespeare at Welles Park and had a wonderful experience. Menu is a classic bistro arrangement and always looking to hear the specials. We eagerly ordered the special heirloom tomato appetizer and loved the freshness and tastiness of the tomatoes. THis is one restaurant that consistently impresses us with the quality and service.Special Features: