320 Massachusetts Avenue, NE
Washington, DC 20002Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bistrocacao.com/
- Phone: (202) 546-4737
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, French
- Executive Chef: Kemal Deger
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Yes we do Cater
A word from Bistro Cacao
Where Romance meets Flavor… At Bistro Cacao, chef-owner Kemal Deger brings nearly 25 years of culinary expertise to your table. In Bistro Cacao’s historic location we now invite you to enjoy our new concept of modern bistro-style French cuisine in a romantically charming and comfortable setting blending old France with modern creative touches.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Bistro Cacao - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill ›
Bistro Cacao reviews from OpenTable diners
188 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
romantic (132)neighborhood gem (106)special occasion (104)fit for foodies (98)great for outdoor dining (95)notable wine list (79)great for lunch (37)great for brunch (35)good for groups (28)hot spot (14)late-night find (12)scenic view (10)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- Amazing FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/22/2014Great food all around. We started with the duck appetizer and cocktail special. Normally, I hate cocktails at restaurants because they are too sweet, but this one was perfect. Next we enjoyed lobster bisque which was creamy and flavorful. My main course was a rack of lamb, which was well prepared and served with awesome sides. We finished the meal with the pasty puff dessert, which was a great finish to a great meal. If I ever make it back to DC I will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close to PerfectSamchildVIPDined on 11/22/2014Perfection is difficult to embrace. Typically, one or two small deviations creep in and turn that magical experience into one where the flaws, no matter how small, stick in your mind. We visited Bistro Cacao in order to celebrate my wife's 61st birthday with my daughter and her friend, my son and my wife's oldest friend. I have to say that BC gave perfection a run for its money! Ambience is spectacular -- romantic furnishings with generous table spacing and very pleasing lighting. Greeting and serving staff were both warm and professional, responsive without the sense of intrusion. And the food. The food was wonderful. I have visited high-end bistros all over Paris (and throughout the world, for that matter), and I cannot remember more inventive take on bistro selections. I enjoyed the Salade de Coquille St Jacques and the Filet de Loup de Mer with Mango Champagne Sauce over Roasted Beets. It was exceptional! My daughter is a vegan, and she had more than ample choice among inventive selections as well. We will return, soon. I am thinking about bringing a group to enjoy the Chef's Tasting Menu! Run, don't walk, to grab a table at Bistro Cacao and enjoy a special culinary journey through the indulgences of Lyon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Worthy Replacement for Two QuailloulouDined on 11/22/2014We made a last-minute reservation on Saturday evening, before going to the play at the Folger Theatre. Service was excellent, we benefited from the pre-theatre menu even though we were on the borderline of the 6:30 deadline. Cozy, excellent food. Only possible negative: we were seated in a curtained area next the corridor from the kitchen to the dining rooms and since I was sitting on the "banquette," I was aware of a lot of to-and-fro, But it was quiet, which I really appreciated, having reached an age when noisy restaurants are crucifying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luncheon with great friends at the Bistro Cacao.SharonDined on 11/19/2014The restaurant had a great ambiance and the food was first-rate. We sat in a little alcove which was very private. Our server was friendly, knowledgeable and entertaining while not intrusive. We all concurred that it was a wonder venue and we really enjoyed our luncheon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a fabulous dinner to celebrate a birthday.RenNay23Dined on 11/15/2014This restaurant was stellar in every sense...the service, our server Al, was attendant but not over bearing and extremely knowledgeable about the food and wine. He convinced us to do the Chef's Choice prix fixe for $75.00 each. We had an avocado salad, escargot, duck breast and bison strip with all the accompaniments. The au gratin potatoes were the best I ever had and I could have made a meal of them. The chef visited our table several times during our meal ; Between the two meat dishes, lemon sorbet to cleanse our pallets. To top it off we were served our own individual chocolate soufflés.... then as a birthday surprise for my husband....no silly cake or happy birthday songs....Al served us an after dinner drink of black currant liquor and champagne.....fabulous. Oh and the gin martini I started with.....priceless!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Service and Atmospherebxny2vaDined on 11/8/2014We really enjoyed this restaurant. The food was excellent as was the service and the atmosphere. The scallop appetizer was especially good. I look forward to going back.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceFoodie55Dined on 11/8/2014This was an amazing restaurant with excellent food and a really cool ambiance. It looks like a house that they made into a restaurant that was really well done and give it a spacial feel. Definitely would recommend this place to those who are looking for somewhere new to try! Really great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Best dinner of my life so far. Recommend to anyone!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Date NightmicahmusicDined on 11/7/2014My girlfriend and I came here for date night while on a trip to DC. Bistro Cacao definitely did not disappoint. I got the Beef Filet Mignon and my girlfriend got the Salmon. Portions on each plate are just right. The trio creme brûlée is excellent for a dessert choice and their wine list is extensive. It's a nice romantic atmosphere and great vibe overall. Highly recommend going here if you're in the area!Special Features:
- my favorite lunch placejanelcVIPDined on 11/4/2014Bistro Cacao is my favorite lunch spot - great food, tables are intimate and the service is attentive without being overbearing. I am a regular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!HatterbakeVIPDined on 11/2/2014This place is very nice for a special occasion. The service by Al was excellent and they made our anniversary feel very special. The food was delicious as well and the ambiance is spectacular. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Hoping to Re-live ParisLovetheIslandsVIPDined on 11/2/2014The food quality was good, with the pastry basket definitely the highlight. Some aspects, such as the croque monsieur seemed Americanized.Special Features:
- Special Placercf17Dined on 11/1/2014Had a romantic date night at Bistro Cacao with the girlfriend. We were both very impressed by the ambiance and food, but we were a little disappointed with our server. First, she criticized our wine choice, saying it was the worst one they had; then she took forever getting our check after we finished dessert. Overall, even with that said, Bistro Cacao is a great place to have a special dinner; the main dining room is romantic, especially if you are lucky enough to get a booth. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Impress out-of-town visitorscwmndcVIPDined on 10/28/2014My wife and I live nearby and frequent Bistro Cacao so we enjoy taking first time, out-of-town visitors. We had a visitor from Scotland this week and, particularly with the spectacular, warm autumn weather, it was fun watching him marvel at the outstanding service and fabulous food and wine throughout our leisurely dinner outdoors. A personal greeting from the chef/owner was the cherry on top.Special Features:
- another bday dinnerbusinesslunchVIPDined on 10/26/2014celebrated my boyfriend's birthday at bistro cacao for the 3rd year in a row. Even though we didnt get our preferred table, the staff made sure we felt special and well-servicedSpecial Features:
- Loved it.carrtunesDined on 10/26/2014Bring the Mrs, not your football buddies. And, now, they insist I write a review that is at least fifty characters in length. But all I have to say is it's a great find, reasonably priced, loaded with atmosphere. Am I at fifty words yet? Can I post this now?Special Features:
- Charming eccentric decor, good foodnorthsiderDined on 10/23/2014We had duck breast, salmon, hanger steak, and venison. The gazpacho was very fresh and tangy. Everything was better than standard but in that delightfully funky, overstuffed setting I expected some surprises. The sauce on the duck was over-reduced I thought. But the recommended wine was good. We felt well cared for, and (a rarity!) we were able to converse. You won't be sorry to visit, especially if you come with friends.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/21/2014Very romantic spot! The sea bass entree was amazing.Special Features:
- Always a favorite!outoftownerVIPDined on 10/21/2014This is a great place to have a quiet and delicious dinner with friends, or a great find for a romantic scene. The food and service never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and deliciousTravtriniDined on 10/19/2014We were given a lovely booth that was partially curtained which was great for a romantic dinner. The menu had many enticing choices and did not disappoint. Lovely French cuisine which reminded me of Paris.Special Features:
- Had a lovely time at Bistro CacaoNewInTown201403VIPDined on 10/18/2014I took the wife to Bistro Cacao because of the good reviews, and was pleasantly impressed. We both had a venison special that was delicious. We enjoyed it with some nice Chateauneuf du Pape. The restaurant was broken up into several smaller dining rooms, and within each room the tables were separated by draperies. It made for a more romantic and private setting, even though space was just as tight as in most restaurants. The fabric between tables, and soft covered furniture also helped to dampen the sound in the room. The setting was made even more romantic as the draperies were deep red. There was a solitary rose and some rose petals on the table. We'll come back for the romance, and the food.Special Features:
- A Great Surprise!BwalterDined on 10/18/2014We stumbled upon this place while walking to a friend's house. A week later we made a reservation and went not knowing what to expect. With reservations, we got right in. The hostess walked us back through the 'house' to the red room. The room was classic style, moderately lit, with red curtains separating the small tables. It gave the feel of private dining in a room that seats about 26 or more. The tables had a single red rose and red rose petals on the table. The chairs were high back style with pillows. Great atmosphere! The food was fantastic! We ordered shrimp as an appetizer. Spicy-sweet and delicious. The two dishes included fish, scallops and venison- all cooked perfectly. The sides were unique and delicious as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good romantic evening0000Dined on 10/16/2014The food was excellent, the service was top notch and the bistro has a very private feel. Quiet, Intimate rooms, curtained booths and very comfortable chairs. A friend of ours recommended it and goes there often, and I can see why.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very special :)Love2travelDined on 10/14/2014I absolutely loved this Restaurant. It is sooo cozy, comfy and romantic. The owner is a cool French guy. The food was very good too. But above all it's the atmosphere that took my breath away. It is so French and coming from Europe I felt right at home. Take your loved one(s) and enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TeddysVIPDined on 10/14/2014very pleased with the food and service. had a great working lunch there.Special Features:
- Classics are greatnancychanVIPDined on 10/13/2014We had a wonderful time at this Biatro though the food was a mixed bag for sure. When the chef stuck to the classic flavor combinations as in the rack of lamb and escargots, it was wonderful. Executed perfectly and ooh and aaah worthy. But when the kitchen tried to get cute, it was much less successful. Calamari appetizer was overcooked and while the pineapple might have been a good surprise note, all in all the dish just didn't work. Same for the coquilles St. Jacque. Blue cheese?! Much too overpowering for the delicate scallops. So enjoy the atmosphere, the wine, and the standard French fare done the standard way and you'll have a great dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a treat!NearNeighborDined on 10/12/2014Suddenly without plans on the weekend, we opted for dinner at Bistro Cacao down the street. What a cozy atmosphere, delicious food and, when we were too full for dessert, we were treated to a delicious after dinner drink. Service with a smile. A great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality but not good enoughEzvtDined on 10/10/2014Fine French food but a few dishes were off - notably the oysters and shrimp - and the service was spotty. (Waiter didn't offer specials, disappeared for long stretches, acted like he didn't know what came next. Didn't offer dessert or more drinks...). Some dishes were remarkably heavy handed like the pesto on the snails and the giant mound of avocado on the scallop plate. This was to be a special night out for us , and it is too expensive for such gaps.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014Our server Julie, the food and the ambiance was excellent! My wife and I will be back again!Special Features:
- notworthitNotworthitDined on 10/3/2014Disappointing experience and won't go back. Inside red velvet decorations look like a bordello and the waiter lectured us all night and made us very uncomfortable. Food was okay but the entire evening there was a letdown and we were glad the friends we were going with cancelled and weren't with us. There are nicer and better for sure.
- Outstanding!jd25082Dined on 10/3/2014We enjoyed a fabulous dinenr and bottle of wine, service was outstanding, attentive and friendly! Chef visited our table often. Overall a great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Ambiance, Deliciuos FooddominoVIPDined on 10/1/2014My husband and I had a lovely dinner at Cacao's last weekend and we both loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in the cityBenimVIPDined on 10/1/2014Friend of mine told me. I should visit Bistro Cacao a year ago I have not have change to do that Finally I was there for lunch to meet with client Everything was very good I can't wait to go back for dinnerSpecial Features:
- Always a great place to go!Gary2Dined on 9/29/2014Outstanding food and great atmosphere. Definitely recommend for couples or small groups. Also has a small cozy bar with good happy hour specials. Owners are always accommodating to personal requests and go out of their way to ensure you have a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentjerryDined on 9/27/2014I had looked forward to eating at Bistro Cacao ever since we had gotten the reservation. Unfortunately everything about our evening was a disappointment. The food was very heavy and rich in spite of warning from server that the servings were small in the European tradition. Each course was served to the opposite one of us who had ordered the dish. Once is excusable but twice made me think that things were poorly managed. The noise level was such that we were subjected to the entire BORING conversation of the people at the adjacent table. We were not tempted by dessert and the overall price was too high for what we received. We will not return or recommend it to others.Special Features:
- Great Food / Service So SoLuvDCDiningfromVADined on 9/27/2014Very quaint and intimate Bistro. Definitely a venue for couples or small groups of no more than six. The food selection was plentiful and what we had was excellent. So from the chef's side, we were very satisfied. The service could have been better. Our server was friendly enough and well informed but he could have checked on us a little more frequently towards the latter part of the meal. While we had wine, he did bring make sure our glasses remained filled but after that his visits were only when we flagged someone down to alert him. All in all though, excellent food in a very cozy intimate setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High expectations, not let down.alnicDined on 9/21/2014Excellent food and service which was our expectation going in. Nice ambiance. Drinks a bit pricey in our opinion. Had Mahi Mahi and Filet for entrees. Both wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for romance!TheReechtsDined on 9/21/2014We came to Bistro Cacao to have our first date as a married couple on the night after our wedding. We came because it was a suggested restaurant for romance with great food and wine and we were not disappointed! Upon walking in, we knew that we were in the perfect place as the decor made it feel as though we were in one of my favorite restaurants in Paris. We were walked to our special table in the red room; but first we got a glimpse of their extensive wine selection on the walk there and couldn't wait to see the wine list. The wine list will make a wine enthusiast VERY happy and our server really paid attention to our wine palate; suggesting a wine that we ended up adoring. The food was amazing and everything was PERFECT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A neighborhood gem!OpihimokeDined on 9/16/2014Located a few minutes' walk from Union Station along Massachusetts, Bistro Cacao is a real gem in the neighborhood. The food was outstanding - try the duck - it's unbelievable! As is the beet salad. The filet mignon is always perfectly done to your choice and the wine selection is great - not so extensive that decisions are hard, but a perfect balance of various priced wines from good to great vineyards and appealing to various palates. While the food is excellent, the service is what really makes this place stand out from all the others. Not pretentious, but extremely courteous, friendly and, most important, is serious about service to its customers. Whether a newbie or a regular, their service is always excellent.Special Features:
- Perfect anniversary spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014We were going to be late arriving into DC and was worried about finding a nice place so late. I ran across this restaurant online and they had late reservation options. I am so glad I chose this place. It was the perfect romantic spot for our anniversary diner. Our waitress Julie was very nice and attentive!! I loved it! Next time I visit DC I will definitely go back. Thank you Julie for a night to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.