320 Massachusetts Avenue, NE
Washington, DC 20002Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bistrocacao.com/
- Phone: 2025464737x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, French
- Executive Chef: Kemal Deger
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Yes we do Cater
A word from Bistro Cacao
Where Romance meets Flavor… At Bistro Cacao, chef-owner Kemal Deger brings nearly 25 years of culinary expertise to your table. In Bistro Cacao’s historic location we now invite you to enjoy our new concept of modern bistro-style French cuisine in a romantically charming and comfortable setting blending old France with modern creative touches.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Bistro Cacao - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill ›
Bistro Cacao reviews from OpenTable diners
225 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
romantic (154)great for outdoor dining (129)special occasion (123)neighborhood gem (120)fit for foodies (96)notable wine list (71)great for brunch (55)great for lunch (40)good for groups (25)scenic view (10)late-night find (10)hot spot (9)kid-friendly (8)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- A Nice DiscoveryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Restaurant chosen due to its proximity to Union Station for DC, MD. & VA residents to meet for Sunday brunch. Although the website stated that all parties had to be present to be seated, this was not the case. One party was late by 30" and another party unable to attend, but the restaurant did not change the table size. Wait staff were attentive, but did not hurry the diners. The ambiance, pastry basket and brunch items were all enjoyed while the diners discussed a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2 wonderful meals!Nancy15Dined on 8/24/2014My boyfriend and I came here last Saturday night for a special occasion. Food was fantastic all around and the waiter was well acquainted with the wine list and made great recommendations. Romantic and unique atmosphere. We had such a great time that we came back 12 hours later for Sunday brunch, which did not disappoint! We will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French cuisine in DCcarino45Dined on 8/23/2014Our Turkish waitress was super nice and accommodating. The meal was exquisite. The decor is a bit too antique though. Edith Piaf singing in the background added to the Frenchy ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrific!DCdinerDined on 8/21/2014went there for a friend's birthday lunch - a rather romantic spot with lots of little hidden nooks - good for private parties - great selection of salads, sandwiches and entrees - easy to have a great lunch without breaking the bank and still feels like a grown-up restaurant!Special Features:
- ExcellentGerryDined on 8/18/2014Great service great food. What else could one ask for?Special Features:
- great spot for outdoor diningSteveDined on 8/17/2014i went here with my wife for a quick dinner to eat. Service was prompt and friendly. we dined outside so i can't really comment about noise level or ambiance. The signature cocktails were very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- intimate dining experienceNovaDinerDined on 8/17/2014From the delicately adorned dining room, to the romantically tea-lit outdoor patio, Bistro Cacao offers an intimate and chic dining experience. The food is expertly prepared and very tastefully presented. Not to mention the profiteroles are to die for! We had no issues in changing our reservation to accommodate additional guests, and all wait staff was attentive, friendly, and accomdating. I will definitely be back to check out brunch and highly recommend Bistro Cacao to anyone looking for an authentic French cuisine dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great atmosphereralphwiggumDined on 8/17/2014A great find. The items ordered were cooked perfectly, the wait staff was superb without being obnoxious. Parties of two are treated to semi private booths with very comfortable chairs and a lot of character in their decor. Would go again.Special Features:
- Disappionted!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014I made a reservation for Sunday lunch last night through the "RESTAURANT WEEK" website, however, when my friend and I arrived there, we were told that yesterday was the last "RESTAURANT WEEK" day, and they even don't offer lunch on Sunday, what we could choose was just "Leave" or take brunch! However, when we went out of the restaurant, there was a chalkboard, said "RESTAURANT WEEK Aug 11-18 fix menu lunch & dinner" OMG! We spent so long time to get there for lunch!! Feel like being cheated!!!Special Features:
- Great Service & Quality of foodJuan1Dined on 8/16/2014The service was spot on! We went for restaurant week and everything as top notch. Highly recommended and just a few steps Union Station.Special Features:
- Excellent dinner on Restaurant WeekDCFoodieDined on 8/16/2014Went to Bistro Cacao for the first time during Restaurant Week and it was delightful. Service was great, ambiance was great and the food was to die for. Will be there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nocookVIPDined on 8/16/2014To be fair it was restaurant week ......but the service and food were not as good as I had remembered on other special occasions when we dined here. I will try it again ....but no time too soon . Food sides were cold as if they had been sitting for awhile. This used to be a favorite restaurant of ours ,but just not up to par I guess with the volume of people so great !
- ExcellentTBD2Dined on 8/16/2014Great place for a romantic dinner. Private tables, calming ambience, excellent food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2014This place is amazing! Unfortunately, my girlfriend and I had the worst waitress ever. I have eaten here before and not encountered bad wait staff. Hoping this was an off night due to restaurant week?Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014Fabulous experience all around. Food, ambiance, and service were all outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice food and wineKarenMLDined on 8/15/2014Romantic atmosphere. We spent only $300 for 3 of us including 2 bottles of red wine (although this was $35 menu of DC's Restaurant Week). The food was awesome. Wine is fine. The service was good even though they were very busy. I will come back when I have a chance.Special Features:
- Reminiscent of traditional FranceDeanDineDined on 8/15/2014Terrific ambiance for a French restaurant of yesteryear. Jest left Paris after a number of years in France and Bistro Cacao reminded us of the more memorable restaurants in France. Music (Édith Piaf included), decor, and the menu all work together for a great dining experience. Also great to work on the language as well!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/15/2014Food excellent but service rude (although efficient). Could not order a salad while my husband enjoyed his cocktail as I do not drink. They were too busy to serve me any way other than the entire order at once. There at 5pm. Not another patron for almost an hour. Chef looking out window, servers roaming around eating or engaging in personal conversation. Find it difficult to dine somewhere where I cannot be served the way I wish. After all I am the paying customer. And to be told in such a rude manner....do not think we will be returning or recommending.Special Features:
- Great brunch- that's it.Jayjay2Dined on 8/14/2014Just super overpriced and not ready for prime time. Staff doesn't have it all together and is constantly changing, food is meh.Special Features:
- Great ambience, poor serviceAbbyDined on 8/14/2014The ambience is great, lots of character, well done. It was too warm though, and the AC was turned on/up too late, so the dining experience was marred by the fact that we felt hot. The food was decent, nothing to complain about, enjoyable but not memorable. The service was extremely poor. The maître de was in your face (seemed to be play acting the character of a French foodie). He took my friend's order but forgot to take mine until I reminded him, but even then, forgot to ask me how I liked my beef done. They forgot to bring our dessert--we had to ask for it. To top everything, they did not split the bill in half like we requested, but put a larger sum on my credit card than my friend's. I am not going to return, and will not recommend.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Bistro Cacao this week. It was a lovely evening to sit out on the patio. Our server, Jaime, was attentive, professional and fun. The food was a limited 3 course menu for "Restaurant Week" but offered a nice variety of options. We were not disappointed in any of the dishes we ordered. The pheasant pate was delicious. Our entrees of filet mignon and duck were done to perfection. My trio of creme brûlée was wonderful. In all a lovely night in a lovely city setting with good food and drink. We will return......Special Features:
- Consistently enjoyable experiencebmcg7VIPDined on 8/14/2014I've been to Bistro Cacao for both brunch and dinner and have enjoyed it each time. The outside deck is perfect for brunch on a nice day and the inside is great for dinner any time. The food is consistently very good. For dinner, I'd recommend the Cacao salad as an appetizer and the mushroom ravioli as an entree. I recently went for dinner with my mother, husband and 4 nieces/nephews and everything was nice -- from the food to the service to the ambience. They were taking the train home so the proximity to Union Square Station was very convenient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great business or personal lunchBalthazarDined on 8/14/2014Laidback but nice; not stuffy but not casual; extremely affordableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/14/20144 of us for enjoyable restaurant week lunch -- sat on patio -- had fish and shrimp salads; rare hangar steak looked the best; gazpacho with watermelon excellent; assorted creme brulees good, not excellent, but the chocolate profiterolle looked really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great, and one complaint...AnonymousDined on 8/14/2014... the outdoor chairs could be more comfortable. Despite having cushion on my chair, it still was uncomfortable and my behind started to hurt. So much so, that I was happy to be able to get up and leave. Perhaps, thicker cushions would help. Other than that, it was great! Food was great and it was nice to sit outside under their huge umbrellas to not be directly in the sun.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014My boyfriend and I went here during Restaurant Week and the menu and service were amazing. We had a romantic little candlelit table and an extremely friendly and helpful waiter who helped us settle on ordering the perfect bottle of wine and some great filet mignon. The food was delicious, the service was fast and very welcoming, and the ambience was perfect for a romantic dinner. We highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- DisapointedCB00VIPDined on 8/13/2014The service was superb and the setting (outside on the patio) was delightful. The staff went out of their way to be accommodating,very friendly and professional. The food however just wasn't good. Beet salad consisted of one slice of beet, a few walnuts and raisins and the smallest lettuce leaves I've ever seen. The chicken that followed was almost cold and very (very) dry. The balsamic reduction overpowered the taste of the other ingredients. The waiter immediately exchanged my dish for another dish - the mahi-mahi sauce was delicious (just too little of it) but the fish was very dry . I think they have far too many items on the menu - which results in not being able to showcase really good dishes.
- WonderfulslisaDined on 8/13/2014The food was delectable, the ambiance was fantastic, and the service was superb. Will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Great food, odd service, dead quiethmastro7Dined on 8/12/2014The food here is always great but this last time, despite the place being empty, the hostess mistakenly seated the rest of my party separately rather than seating them with me, despite knowing I had a reservation and was expecting others. We ended up sitting separately waiting for one another for 15 minutes - and never really got a full apology.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Good BetEastCoastGuyDined on 8/9/2014The bistro is one of our neighborhood "go-to" spots - especially when we are in the mood for well prepared French dishes. We've enjoyed everything that we've tried over the last few years. This visit was no different. We had the seabass and the seafood grill along with the scallop and the octopus salad appetizers. Excellent! Only two small concerns. First, they have been out of the lobster salad on out last two visits (and we love it), and second - I wish that they had a simple, good house red for $6 or 7 per glass. I just like an easy going, inexpensive red to go with my meals. Expensive, complicated wines are wasted on me. Otherwise, we enjoyed our dinner and will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely AmazingUrbanHippyDined on 8/9/2014Could find a thing to complain about if I'd wanted to. Even though it was an amazing night to dine outside, we were glad we went inside. The space and ambiance of the red dining room are well worth it.Special Features:
- great ambience and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014This is a great restaurant near the capital that has top quality food, drinks, and a very romantic ambience. Well worth the price!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romance at its bestJayromance86Dined on 8/8/2014Great set up and service... Went for wife's bday... I was a lil skeptical but I was quickly reassured I pick the right spotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/2/2014Kemal and his staff always do a wonderful job and the meal is always outstanding!Special Features:
- Loved it!AlexVIPDined on 7/31/2014This was a really good choice! The asthenosphere is amazing!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014Took my girl to dinner here and she loved it!! I had chicken with stuffed goat cheese and it was superb!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bistro Delight!SancerreDined on 7/25/2014Lovely setting with very attentive service. Entrees were all delicious--hangar steak, duck breast and chicken dishes. Wine list is interesting with something for everyone at very reasonable prices. Charming!!!Special Features:
- Wonderful food & atmospheretxFrancoplileDined on 7/21/2014The food was amazing. The seating outside looked lovely and I was disappointed to be taken inside, until I saw the rooms were separated by lovely red curtains. We felt like we had the place to ourselves and like we were tucked away in a corner of Paris. Delightful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy and goodRigolettoDaughterDined on 7/18/2014Old world decor that was cozy yet elegant. I had the beet salad, lovely olive oil. Grilled seafood where the scallops and shrimp were cooked quite well. Service was attentive and friendly. Low noise level made it great for conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for romanceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Beautiful and characteristic French restaurant, great for a romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.