618 Church Street
Evanston, IL 60201Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lebistrobordeaux.com/
- Phone: 8474241483
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Sunday brunch 10:30am-2:00pm
Sunday diner 5:00pm - 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, French
- Executive Chef: Johnny Besch
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Check our website for more information
A word from Bistro Bordeaux
Bistro Bordeaux offers authentic French dining experience unlike any other amid the bustle of downtown Evanston, IL. The philosophy of the menu at Bistro Bordeaux is an expression of our French culinary heritage, for which we have a profound admiration. The support of our local farmers allows us to use the freshest produce and seafood, just as one would find in the markets in the south of France. The menu showcase the freshness of these pure ingredients through simple, flavorful combinations. The wine list features a wide selection of reasonably priced French wines with plenty of by the glass offerings. A reserve list of the finest Bordeaux is also available. Pascal Berthoumieux, who hails from the Bordeaux region of France, recreates a true bistro experience with the service and décor. We hope you enjoy the eating as much as we enjoy the preparation in the kitchen and wish you all “Bon appetit!”Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bistro Bordeaux reviews from OpenTable diners
- The server makes a differenceDarlingdinerDined on 7/15/2012it was our second time there in 3 weeks. the food was still good, the atmosphere good. On our first visit, the server was excellent. to be fair, he may have been the owner or manager. He was superb! Unfortunately, the server on this second visit was so bad that it had a very negative impact on the enjoyment of our 4 guests. It was also a bit hot and stuffy, though the high temp was the culprit there. After our first visit, I couldn't wait to return. After this visit, strictly becuae of the server, we may not return again.
- Feels like Paris with theLisaVIPDined on 7/14/2012Feels like Paris with the lamps, photos, posters & other decor. My sea bass was perfectly poached in a tasty broth; my husband's prime rib was a little over-cooked & our guest's rabbit was nicely done. Profiteroles were delicious.Special Features:
- In total, our experience atHuckleberryDined on 7/14/2012In total, our experience at Bistro Bordeaux was good. The tart du jour and the pate were excellent. Two of the three entrees were also excellent. The rabbit and the lamb were truly outstanding. We had an issue with the steak frittes (3 orders: exceedingly tough), but the management removed them from the bill. They could not have been more accommodating. So the vast majority of our menu selections were excellent.
- A little bit of the 'LeftOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/8/2012A little bit of the 'Left Bank' in downtown Evanston! Fitting for a special occasion. Eggs are perfect.as well as the chocolate dessert! Love the decor , very cozy and warm. Merci beaucoup!Special Features:
- Great neighborhood restaurant,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/7/2012Great neighborhood restaurant, nice atmosphere. Authentic French cuisine.Special Features:
- We have been to Bistro BordeauxtravelbugVIPDined on 6/24/2012We have been to Bistro Bordeaux many times for lunch and dinner, but this was our first time there for brunch. It was a beautiful day and we sat outside in the shade, very nice. Our waiter was efficient and knowledgeable, but not very personable. The service was well-paced and the food was excellent. I had the Croque Madame which is a decadent open-face sandwich on french bread with ham, cheese, mornay sauce and a fried egg on top, yum! It is served with an extremely large pile of french fries that are wonderful. My friends were eating much healthier and all had the 3 egg white omelette with potatoes and fruit. They all enjoyed their meals. I would highly recommend Bistro Bordeaux for a relaxing Sunday brunch.Special Features:
- We love this restaurant andChicagoSueVIPDined on 6/23/2012We love this restaurant and dined here with friends. All the appetizers, desserts, and entrees with the exception of mine which was the Steak Pomme Frites, were wonderful. My steak was very tough. However, everyone else in our group loved their entrees, so I am going to guess that I had bad luck that evening. We ordered a bottle of wine and also had it by the glass. Cost per person including tax and tip was $85 per person.Special Features:
- Nice restaurant in Evanston.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/22/2012Nice restaurant in Evanston. Good service. Food was okay - not award winning, but okay. Great French wine list to choose from.
- Very enjoyable experienceBellaVIPDined on 6/18/2012Very enjoyable experience . Appetizer menu is terrific as is the wine menu . Mussels served as main course needed to be hotter and steak in Steak Frites was a bit tough and thick compared to most French bistro style steaks. Overall, food is fine but could easily be improved to a higher level.Special Features:
- The decline of bistro bordeauxOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/17/2012See yelp review for more details, but the decline of what used to be an extraordinarily great french bistro. Over-salted food, horrible bread, decent wine list and service that is inattentive. All make for a frustrating night for what used to be such a lovely place.
- Terrific Bistro BordeauxOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/15/2012Food was terrific, well-prepared, wide selection of bistro fare. Frittes were to die for and so plentiful the entire table can share a single serving. Excellent, exclusively French wines, moderately priced. Service was attentive and knowledgeable. Prices were moderate. Ambiance was again typically upscale bistro. I would highly recommend Bistro Bordeaux.Special Features:
- I had escargot as an appitizerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/15/2012I had escargot as an appitizer and it was sandy. I had mussels as an entre and they were sandy! Will not returnSpecial Features:
- Great little BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2012We went with our family while visiting Northwestern university. It has a nice albeit loud French bistro ambiance Steak frites and mussels were delicious. Prices surprisingly reasonable.Special Features:
- Not for the first time, BistroAntonioVIPDined on 6/10/2012Not for the first time, Bistro Bordeaux did not disappoint. The service was a little offhand, but it was a Sunday night, after all :-) We went to BB partly because of its reputation for good food, but also because we wanted to talk and did not want a noisy or intrusive environment, and again, it scored high in this respect.Special Features:
- It was girlfriend’s birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/10/2012It was girlfriend’s birthday and she likes French food, so I wanted to treat her to a brunch. Food was good, but the service very fair and the cleanness of the place was very poor. Not the choice for revisiting.
- find french elsewhereOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/8/2012The food was good but was served to us cold, after we waited for over an hour for our entrees after ordering. The waiter was rude and acted like we were a burden from the moment we walked in. It took him 30 minutes just to bring bread to our table and only remembered after we asked him for it. After our food came out cold, we complained and the owner very graciously offered to pick up the tab for dessert. I would never come back here.
- Excellent bistro on the North ShoreOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/8/2012Lots of care with ingredients, preparation and presentation. Very friendly service and atmosphere. Menu is genuinely French. Price is reasonable for what you get.Special Features:
- Merveilleux!FooddocVIPDined on 6/8/2012This was our fourth visit to Bistro Bordeaux, and each visit has exceeded the previous one! As always, the service was wonderful, the wine list expansive but affordable, and the setting charming. While I had a fabulous steak tartare for a starter, and my wife the tasty tarte du jour (bacon), we both had a pork trio that was incomparable (reminiscent of a Girl and the Goat selection.) This amazing dish included a center cut pork loin, pork belly and boudin noir (sausage.) Three incredible tastes from the same source! Unbelievably good. The meal was topped with a comped Moscato, which made the evening more special. Just a peak dining experince!!!Special Features:
- Great French Bistro in EvanstonJacoleVIPDined on 6/3/2012This was our second visit in the last month. The food was excellent. Our server was not quite as attentive as last time. but did a pretty good job. We will certainly return again.Special Features:
- Finally a good restaurant.AenderVIPDined on 6/2/2012Finally a good restaurant. I had the Fois Gras which was excellent and what made it great were these small pieces of pickled rhubarb. My wife had the onion soup which she said was good, but too sweet for her taste. For entrees it was between the gnocchi or the trio of pork. Server recommend the trio, which was good, but not great; should have had the gnocchi which I will next time. My wife had the mussels which she said was very tasty. For dessert my wife had a rhubarb tart which was the perfect size and very good as my wife loves rhubarb. I had the fried brioche which I have to say is the best dessert I've eaten in a long long time. The downside was the service, it was just okay. I wasn't made to feel special, but then it was French :)Special Features:
- This place is charming, delicious,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/1/2012This place is charming, delicious, rustic and quaint. I love the food and the service. I have always enjoyed my dining experiences!Special Features:
- Went with a group of friendsIeatIamVIPDined on 5/30/2012Went with a group of friends for a dinner outing and decided to meet up in Evanston for something new. The ambiance was great, it felt like being in a restaurant in France. Both the food and the service were very good and we all enjoyed our meals. In particular, the steak and frites were a group favorite and I'll have to say the frites were some of the best I've had. Plus the prix fixe dinner that they have on Wednesdays is a great deal!
- Food was good, not great,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/30/2012Food was good, not great, but the waiter really seemed to have an "attitude" which kind of spoiled the dinner.
- BB has great food--everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/29/2012BB has great food--everything I have eaten here is well-executed from the baguette at the table to entrees and desserts. I much prefer going on a week night, because weekends can be very noisy.Special Features:
- If a restaurant has only 1MonicaVIPDined on 5/26/2012If a restaurant has only 1 vegetarian entree on the menu, it shouldn't be one with spices that don't appeal to a lot of people. When I asked to have the gnocchi prepared w/out the meat, I was told "we could do that but it will be very dry because we would have to leave out the sauce." WRONG ANSWER. It would have taken 2 minutes to prepare a vegetarian sauce. Any chef worth his whites could do so easily. I found the unwillingness to prepare a meal I could eat rude. I ended up having to eat cheese for dinner.Special Features:
- Second time there. Very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/25/2012Second time there. Very good food quality. Very responsive service. Will go back!Special Features:
- Excellent Moules Frites. MusselsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/21/2012Excellent Moules Frites. Mussels tender and plentiful, fries were crisp and tasty, and the broth light and perfect for drenching the fries. Bouillabaisse was very good, but chunks of potatoes were boring after having their frites. Bread was great, crusty and chewy, wonderful black bean olive spread. Crust on quiche flaky, would definitely orderdo this appetizer again. Service very good, friendly and helpful with explanations, never felt rushed or ignored. If I had to search for a negative issue, it would be that their beet/asparagus salad was sparce for the price.Special Features:
- We enjoyed the simple butOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/19/2012We enjoyed the simple but well-prepared and well-presented fare in this classic French bistro. We did, however, wait more than an hour to receive our entrees--much longer than the guests at either adjoining table. We weren't sure whether the delay was due to an error on the part of our server or a problem in the kitchen. However, the server compensated for the inconvenience by offering a complementary glass of wine and dessert. We were not in a hurry, so we were more than satisfied. Do note that privacy may be at a premium for diners as some of the tables are quite close together.Special Features:
- Our only issue is the closeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/15/2012Our only issue is the close proximity to the other people and consequently, the noise. Since it was not a busy night, we could have been seated away from others, but were right on top of the table of three next to us - one that was fairly loud. Food is normally very good. I selected a trio of pork that was only so-so.Special Features:
- We come here all the timeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/13/2012We come here all the time - we never have a problem being seated when our reservation is, the food and service is always terrific.Special Features:
- We Keep going back !OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/12/2012We have been there several times, and never been disappointed. A little pricier than you might espect, but mostly because we like out cocktails and wine by the bottles.Special Features:
- This was our second time atMikeDined on 5/6/2012This was our second time at Bistro Bordeaux and it was exceptional just as was the first time. The food is great, the wine list is terrific and the server was friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. We celebrated a birthday there and all of the people in our party raved about the entire experience.Special Features:
- Parisienne Bistro in Evanston!60202foodieVIPDined on 5/5/2012Bistro Bordeaux is so reminiscent of its Parisienne cousins that you are sure you have been beamed to the City of Lights. The menu could not be more authentic, the wine list simply stocked with affordable and approachable wines, all served by a friendly and quite knowledgeable staff. The tarte du jour was scrumptious and the steak tartare a wicked indulgence. Around the table we sampled a rich and hearty lamb and coffee gnocchi stew, a moist and seared salmon “en papillotte”,calves liver sweet and ungamey, and a hearty and rich Bouillabaisse. A shared Creme Brulee for dessert was the real McCoy. Merci beaucoup, Pascal!Special Features:
- What a great find.Bunny8BearVIPDined on 5/5/2012This is a great find. The restaurant is in a charming vintage house. The wait staff is excellent in their attention to detail. The food has excellent flavor profiles with lovely presentation. We will definitely come back and stay at the hotel as well.Special Features:
- Never Disappointing!TiaBismonteDined on 5/4/2012As always, an amazingly delightful experience. Love what you have done with the tarte du jour. Wish you woul bring back the traditional croque Monsieur. Adrian was fantastic & all of his recommendations were fabulous. The mixed berry sorbet was out of this world. Thank you!Special Features:
- Overpriced, mediocre food.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/4/2012Overpriced, mediocre food. Terrible service the night we were there. tables for 2 are WAY too close together.
- This is what a Bistro shouldOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/1/2012This is what a Bistro should be - a nice and friendly neighborhood restaurant with great food. Just like in Paris!Special Features:
- What great food and ambiance...youBLTBAHDined on 4/29/2012What great food and ambiance...you feel like you are in France. The wine list also has many excellent yet reasonably priced french wines.Special Features:
- Great service, dinner andZeusVIPDined on 4/28/2012Great service, dinner and ambiance - what more could you ask for!Special Features:
- We had a wonderful time atOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/28/2012We had a wonderful time at the restaurant. enjoyed the food and the ambiance.Special Features: