600 Florida Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
U Street Corridor
Eastern EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://bistrobohem.wordpress.com/
- Phone: 2027355895
- Hours of Operation:
5 pm - 12 pm
Brunch - 10 am - 3 pm Saturday,Sunday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Eastern European
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, High Tea, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Bistro Bohem
Bistro Bohem, Washington DC's newest and most lively hangout, is located in the historic U Street/Bloomingdale, just a mile north of the White House. We're unique to the area, offering flavorful Eastern European cuisine in a relaxed and vibrant atmosphere. Sink into our cozy banquettes and chat with friends while enjoying succulent meats, delectable sides, and irresistible desserts.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Bistro Bohem - Best Restaurants in U Street Corridor ›
Bistro Bohem reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (20)great for outdoor dining (16)fit for foodies (10)romantic (9)great for brunch (5)notable wine list (3)late-night find (2)special occasion (2)good for groups (2)vibrant bar scene (1)great for lunch (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Change of pacedcfoodieDined on 8/22/2014It is not easy to find restaurants that specialize in Czech and eastern European cuisine. This was authentic and delicious. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hearty and well-made fareOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/18/2014Very attentive service, great Czech fare, well-made cocktails and an appropriate wine list. What's not to love?
- Great findAnneDined on 7/12/2014Very cute place with European sidewalk cafe/bistro feel near U Street corridor. The schnitzel with caramelized onion was excellent, as was the Bulgarian cabernet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a gemNotCsitsmaVIPDined on 6/15/2014Great neighborhood gem. Interesting food selections that you normally don't find elsewhere. Czech it out.Special Features:
- Great spot!MDDinerDined on 6/1/2014I visited on a Sunday evening with a friend from out-of-town. The location was convenient - walking distance from the Metro and street parking available for someone driving in. It's beautifully decorated with indoor and outdoor spaces. We sat near an open window in the dining room, and it was quiet and breezy and fantastic! The cocktails were delicious but I almost ordered wine since they had a great little selection. The food was amazing and the server was happy to switch sides. The server was attentive and helpful. Any questions we had were easily answered and we were given space at the end of our meal to enjoy our conversation before departing. A great place for dinner and drinks. I will be back!Special Features:
- Great dining experiencePigsFlyDined on 5/24/2014This is a nicely priced restaurant with a great wine list featuring European offerings. The staff are pleasant and helpful, the food satisfying and well prepared. Best of all, it is free of the pretentiousness that seems to have locked the Washington dining scene in an stranglehold. It's home cooking Czech-style: potato pancakes, schnitzel, sauerkraut accompanied by Czech beer or Thracian Cabernet. I'll be going back and hope to see you there! If you dine outdoors, know this is at a busy intersection.Special Features:
- PHENOMENAL!JessHill4LIFEDined on 5/16/2014I love this restaurant! The menu is great. The drinks are great. I have been here many times and keep coming back for more. Some servers are better than others, but don't let the grumpy man in the café in the mornings ruin it for you.Special Features:
- Authentic Slovak DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014The ambiance felt as if we were dining in the capital cities of Bratislava or Praha real time thanks to the extremely kind international staff. We were entertaining international guests/ family from the Slovak Republic and it was if we were dining in the homeland. After a day of touriing America's captital city it was comforting and at the same time exciting for our guests to be able to sip on a Pilsner and enjoy authentic Czecho-slovakian cusine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 146 reviews are from the Bistro Bohem reviews archive.
- comfortable, ambitious small placeAppreciativeDinerDined on 4/19/2014Small, one-room with bar. Very attractive. Larger sidewalk dining in warmer weather. Excellent and unusual menu of Czech -inspired cuisine provided tasty and carefully prepared choices. Sophisticated wine selection by the glass of wines matching the menu. Restaurant ran out of two different reds, but the Bulgarian cabernet/syrah that I ended up with was excellent. Very friendly wait staff. Good beer, too. Some vegetarian choices.Special Features:
- Great Brunch!TomInBloomingdaleVIPDined on 4/12/2014You can't go wrong here, We had a great relaxing brunch.Special Features:
- Different cuisine -- worth tryingFormerFedVIPDined on 4/4/2014We dropped into Bistro Bohem after a hip-hop performance at the Kennedy Center and found it crowded on a Friday evening. I got a pierogi and the Bavarian bratwurtst entree. Both were very tasty. My girlfriend startted with the kale salad, which she noted she wouldn't have gotten if she'd know kale was one of the side dishes with her beef steak. She liked her dishes, doggy-bagging about half of each. I tried the Kraken cocktail, enticed by its name and a memory of the "Release the Kraken" line from an old movie, while she got a Bohemian margarits. While both were flavorful, we wanted something stronger to end our meal and ordered double tequillas. My girlfried noted that we hadn't received doubles and got the bill reduced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good old fashion Czech comfortBJGSDined on 3/30/2014Good old fashion Czech comfort food, good sized portions. Super friendly Staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice dinner date spot.suicidetumblr88Dined on 3/29/2014I was very satisfied with the service. Our food came out very quickly. The staff was very friendly and polite. I would highly recommend it for anyone looking to have a nice dinner date for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date Night GemGeo89Dined on 3/28/2014This small date night gem provides great traditional eastern bloc comfort food that also has vegetarian options. Homemade bread is a welcome accompaniment to the dishes to soak up the wonderful sauces. Later in the evening the back room had a great DJ and had everyone up and dancing.Special Features:
- Will try againmoresauerkrautpleaseVIPDined on 3/15/2014We had a decent time and meal at the restaurant after a slightly rough beginning where the hostess kept trying to give us a table too small to accommodate 3 diners. I repeatedly told the hostess that we could come back later (we were early for our reservations) if that would help, but she kept wanting to seat us (even though there wasn't anything available to fit). Eventually, it all worked out and we had the cauliflower soup, pierogis, goulash, pork shank and one other dish I couldn't remember. It was all tasty, although one of us did not like the pierogis and I thought the cauliflower had too much cream and not enough cauliflower flavor. The pork shank was very nice and I enjoyed the red cabbage and sauerkraut as well.Special Features:
- Hope It's Better Next TimeEKDCDined on 3/15/2014The food was pretty good and the environment very inviting so I'll give this place another shot. But that said, they really loused up a couple of things. They seated us nearly 30 minutes after our reservation time; no waiter came over to us so after 10-15 minutes we had to tell them to serve us and they didn't bring plates and silverware to us before our appetizers arrived. When we urge them to, y'know, bring us those things while our food was still hot they still didn't seem to rushed. These are the basics, folks. Anyhow, the food was pretty good and it's pretty different from most of the cuisine available in the area. I would go back hoping they just had a bad night in the service department.
- amazinglvncDined on 3/14/2014I really loved this place and the quality of the food.Special Features:
- I had the pork and it wasJust1JimDined on 3/8/2014I had the pork and it was delicious. Portions were a nice size, not too big, but large enough that I was full. Service was great, we were in and out of there in 65 minutes. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- czech please!firsttimerDined on 3/8/2014great authentic food, really good service and diverse menu. all that we hoped for, hope to go back next time we're in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never put in our orderOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/7/2014We sat for two hours. The waitress came to our table twice. We finally asked her what was taking so long, only to realize she never gave our food orders to the kitchen. She did not apologize. We will NEVER go back.
- Charming Neighborhood PlaceRJ42VIPDined on 3/7/2014Food was good. Waitress wonderful -- service could not have been better. It's a charming neighborhood place to which we would return as much for the ambience as for the food.Special Features:
- VERY nice little place!!KatjoeDined on 3/1/2014The staff is mostly Eastern European, and everyone was extremely nice! The food was very good, esp considering that I am usually underwhelmed by what is called German / Central European food in the States (I am from Germany myself). We didn't care very much for the red cabbage as it was VERY heavy on the cinnamon (which is not the way it should be), but the Sauerkraut was OUTSTANDING and definitely the best I've had in the States! The Chicken Schnitzel was delicious and so was the Duck. The Urquell Pilsener was very yummy, too, but too expensive - $7 for a meager 14oz, that is definitely too much!! I'd expect to get at least 16oz for that kind of money...All in all, would (and will!) definitely be back!!! Atmosphere was very nice, too :-)Special Features:
- Great food; service lackingAvgDinerVIPDined on 2/28/2014I enjoyed the ambiance and food at this restaurant, but I was terribly disappointed in the service. A friend and I order two appetizers and drinks with the intent of also ordering dinner afterward. After about 15 minutes, the server came back to see if we wanted to order anything. Um... yes, the apps and drinks we ordered 15 minutes ago... Drinks showed up 5 minutes later, and then the food 10 minutes later. Unfortunately, one of the apps delivered was a different dish than what we ordered (and non-vegetarian, which we discovered only after biting into it). We decided to cut our losses, paid our bill, and went elsewhere for the rest of our meal.Special Features:
- Still amazing!JessicaDined on 2/21/2014The menu may have changed a little since I was there last, but it's just as amazing. The staff are also amazing and it's such a cute little place. We're lucky to have such a gem right in Shaw!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly service - good foodMargueriteDined on 2/16/2014My friends I recently went to Bistro Bohem for dinner. We were looking for a place near the Town DanceBoutique. We were also intrigued by the Eastern European menu. The service was excellent and the food was good, though somewhat salty for me (I had the beef goulash). Overall, we enjoyed our dining experience, and would go back if we were in that neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gret neighborhood placeJgirlVIPDined on 2/3/2014Really liked the food and the wonderful smells. The food was plentiful, very taqsty and inexpensive. The mushroom and potato soup was delightful and the homemade potato chips to die for. I had the chicken schnitzel with potato salad and it was delicious. My friend and I enjoyed a wonderful evening with our daughters here. Would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic CzechJAMIDined on 1/25/2014Having been raised on food from my Czech grandmother who immigrated from Prague many years ago my yearning for this type if food in the DC area has pretty much been satisfied. The borscht was phenomenal The traditional dumplings were very light and similar to what I remembered The caraway kraut was good and the pork tips tender but a bit too salty for my taste One disappointment was the lack of traditional kolaches for dessert - I was so looking forward to them !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I went for the mulled wineEpiskyVIPDined on 1/9/2014This was our unteenth trip to Bistro Bohem, so what can I say. I like it. I didn't have super expectations because all I wanted was a place to eat with a friend and some mulled wine. I got that, and I was happy. For food we ordered chips (comes with some 1000 island type dressing), pancake-chicken-whatevers, also with dressing and perogies. For entrees we had cauliflower steak, meatloaf and something else. The mushroom sauce on the cauliflower was a little too rich, but that was fine, I could just scrape it off. The focus wasn't the food, it was the company. If you show up early enough you can hear each other. By the end of our dinner we were speaking with raised voices and leaning over the table. The mulled wine was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ethnic czech food ,JudyVIPDined on 12/26/2013Great ethnic czech food , inexpensive and delightful.Special Features:
- Dinner optionEpiskyVIPDined on 12/16/2013It was my turn to cook dinner and the meat wasn't dethawed so I decided, we'll eat out. So we went to Bistro Bohem for dinner. It is in the neighborhood and we like it. I really liked the mulled wine, even though it was a little heavy on the clove that night. It was a Monday so the place wasn't crazy as usual. I had the kale salad with lentils. It was part cold part warm. It was okay, I enjoyed my husband's dish a bit more. He had the chicken in pancake batter, like chicken fingers but better, and their meatloaf. He wasn't too crazy about the meatloaf because it wasn't like the American meatloaf he is used to. I loved the side of thick hearty mashed potatoes that came with the dish. We will come here again because it's in our hood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and very friendly.BrunchBunsDined on 12/8/2013Great service and very friendly. Made us feel very welcome. Ambiance was unique and comfortable. Food was well priced and plentiful. Great for something different but not too off the wall. Will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Worth calling a favorite!DdineDined on 12/6/2013I've eaten here on 3 different occasions with guests visiting the city. Always a hit and now a favorite of mine. The staff is friendly & unobtrusively attentive. The menu seems always to have something for everyone. Service is timely & unrushed. The portions are generous & I've had the misfortune of ordering a meat platter. Leaving little room for my main course. The food feels home cooked like that I experienced on trips to austria, belgium, germany. Each bite triggered a memory from those trips I then shared with a friend. All of this is especially impressive as it's a type of food i'd always avoided. No More!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- late night happy hour on Fri and SaLindoroVIPDined on 12/6/2013Great Czech food -- love the atmosphere. Our waitress is really nice (who is Czech) but not very attentive -- probably because she has too many tables. Was quite surprised to know they have a late night happy hour from 10pm-2am during Fridays and Saturdays.... Definitely will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- can't wait to go back!apjf17Dined on 11/25/2013food was delicious, service fairly prompt, attentive and very cordial. great atmosphere. special and low key at the same time. my friends and I had a terrific time. I've been dying to visit Bistro Bohem for ages having lived in Eastern Europe for a couple of years and I'm so glad I finally got the chance. I will definitely be going back to visit Kafe Bohem to try their Julius Meinl coffee. I met Lenora (?) the GM and talked to her a bit about the kafe, the coffee, etc. and am even more excited to go back & bring others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and great cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/24/2013Bistro Bohem is the best Cheque cuisine restaurant in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Candle list Bohemian RapsodyKJDCVIPDined on 11/21/2013Late night last minute dinner but really adore this small chic little slice of Czech paradise in the U Street corridor. A very hip and trendy spot but its intimate size and excellent menu make it worthwhile to cross town for! Love the wide selection of Czech and Eastern European beers - can't go wrong with any.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm lucky I didn't find it soonermg2449Dined on 11/20/2013Finally went to this place the last week I was in D.C. If I had found it sooner, I would have overspent on dining by a lot! The food was divine. I had the slow cooked duck and my uncle had the pork shank.Special Features:
- Great Fix of MitteleuropagivlcaeDined on 11/9/2013I've been to Bistro Bohem three times now, and every time was great. First was just for a beer while I was waiting to meet someone back in February '13. It wasn't a busy time, and the bartender and I had a great conversation while I nursed a Czech beer I'd never had in the US before. The second and third times were for dinner. The food is excellent, and the portions aren't huge FYI--not tapas-sized small, but may or may not whet your appetite depending on your preferences. Go for an appetizer if you're hungry. The beer and wine I've had were great. The restaurant's not huge, so don't expect a huge group to be accommodated. Great for couples or small groups. Lively but not too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in a lovely spot.JOSHDined on 11/2/2013I had a small birthday party for wife at Bistro Bohem recently. She had eaten there before, but neither I nor our friends had. The server was attentive and everyone was happy with their food. The music playing was nice but not over;y loud. Too often, I find myself in restaurants where I have to shout to be heard. I want to go back several times too explore their menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazinghubbaramDined on 10/20/2013I absolutely love this place. Amazing food and wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.