600 Florida Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
U Street Corridor
Eastern EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://bistrobohem.wordpress.com/
- Phone: (202) 735-5895
- Hours of Operation:
5 pm - 12 pm
Brunch - 10 am - 3 pm Saturday,Sunday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Eastern European
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, High Tea, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Bistro Bohem
Bistro Bohem, Washington DC's newest and most lively hangout, is located in the historic U Street/Bloomingdale, just a mile north of the White House. We're unique to the area, offering flavorful Eastern European cuisine in a relaxed and vibrant atmosphere. Sink into our cozy banquettes and chat with friends while enjoying succulent meats, delectable sides, and irresistible desserts.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bistro Bohem reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (34)fit for foodies (21)great for outdoor dining (16)romantic (13)good for groups (8)great for brunch (7)late-night find (5)special occasion (5)notable wine list (4)great for lunch (3)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- One of the best brunches in the city!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/15/2014They keep changing the menu and adding gems. There is something for everyone here and they place is very kid friendly. It's not very big but its a decent size to accommodate a group of four. We can't get enough of the brunch and they also have a great sunday night dinner special. its very affordable and well worth the trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good all aroundHR13Dined on 11/14/2014Great food for cold weather! Bohem has consistently good food and service; easy go-to neighborhood spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatJimboDined on 11/11/2014Everything was great and the service was awesome! They even have blankets outside for when the guests get cold!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like my grandmother would have madeHawaiiVisitorDined on 11/9/2014The folks were good to us--with an early arrival and a late guest. We were given service immediately, gotten started with drinks, and were able to span the wait for our guest with appetizers. The menu's appetizers are excellent versions of great Eastern European cooking. The sauerkraut soup, sometimes called soljanka, was excellent. The beet salads great, and the meat dishes well chosen. There is a wine list, but the selection of good Eastern European beers offers refreshing choices. There is a limited desert menu--well selected--but of course, after the appetizers, salads and main dish, the space to hold desert may be extremely limited. I will try to go back every time I am in DC.Special Features:
- SolidArdsieDined on 11/1/2014We had a nice time as a group of seven. Service was brisk and friendly and they let us linger for a long time. The food was ok-- perogies and potato pancake were excellent apps. For mains, we had the mushroom pasta (outstanding), the national dish- pork, sauerkraut and cabbage- was also good, but the goulash was just ok-- the meat was very dry. Dessert was also quite good.Special Features:
- Namesake establishment wins!WilhelmonthelooseDined on 10/25/2014Bistro Bohem offers hearty portions, wine and great atmosphere. Book it! You'll be pleased you did-and so will your evening's date ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bistro BohemSugusDined on 10/21/2014Went on monthly Tuesday movie night, which was wonderful. Free glass of pilsner, very good meal (Bohemian-syle), nice Czech movie (with subtitles). Lovely date night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid and StolidotberburVIPDined on 10/11/2014For some reason, I have a hankering for Central European food on fall evenings when the weather turns chilly and gloomy. Bistro Bohem satisfied the urge nicely. The restaurant was recently reconfigured so that most of the seating is now in the former cafe, which has an appropriately dark, European ambience at night. The food was generally well prepared -- each of us had a dish with a mushroom sauce (me: pierogies, my spouse: a cauliflower steak) that we thought was exceptional. The fare is also fairly heavy -- but Czech food has never been known for its light touch. And the room was not especially noisy -- unusual for this area.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bohemian FindOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/11/2014If you crave Bohemian food, like pork, dumplings and sauerkraut, this is a nice little neighborhood restaurant, and pretty reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Funky slice of Eastern EuropeLocavoreVIPDined on 10/2/2014We went here before a show at the Howard Theater around the corner. The cocktails were good. The frites had good flavor but a little on the soggy side. The schnitzel, while not as large as the ones they serve in Budapest, was crisp and tasty and the side salad of tomatoes cucumber, feta, and onions was very good (I could have had another helping). The atmosphere is casual but definitely with a funky European vibe. I would definitely come back to try some of the other Hungarian specialties.Special Features:
- Pleasantly SurprisingHogTroughDined on 9/27/2014Showed up with six, squeezed into a four person table outside. Plenty of room regardless. Apps were delicious and unique. We ordered two apps: One was cucumber with cream cheese, dill, and lox. I am a lox fanatic so this was very refreshing to see on the menu. The second was some kind of fritter with a nice tomato-base sauce to pour on top (sorry I can't remember the specifics of the fritter). This was also very good but better for a group of four to order, it came with four pieces. Four of our party ordered shnitzels, also something fun to see on a menu. They had 6-8 different flavorings for the shnitzel, everyone was impressed with the outcome. I ordered the gulash, pork over brown rice. Out of malbec, got pinot noir, great wine.Special Features:
- NoodlesDined on 9/27/2014Great atmosphere and superb food. My friend traveled extensively in the Czech Republic and noted that the food was as good or better than she remembered during her time in Eastern Europe. It was just a bit noisy and the service a tad slow, but it was Saturday night and the weather was beautiful. The entire neighborhood was mobbed with people so it was understandable, and didn't detract from the experience. This place is probably a great weekday date spot for someone looking for something different than the usual French or Italian meal. This place is an absolute gem and I'll be back soon.Special Features:
- Czech It Out!GoNavyVIPDined on 9/13/2014Great Czech food in DC! Finally! Everything we tried was wonderful and the beer selection was great. The only downside was our server. Our table was wobbling -- a lot. We asked if she could help. Her answer: No. And walked away. We shoved a knife under the table leg and asked for another ...Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Would recommend this Bistro to anyone, it was my second visit. The food is hearty middle Europe fare, and the staff is efficient, friendly, and helpful. Very busy neighborhood on Friday and Saturday -- so weekdays might be more fun.Special Features:
- Change of pacedcfoodieDined on 8/22/2014It is not easy to find restaurants that specialize in Czech and eastern European cuisine. This was authentic and delicious. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 153 reviews are from the Bistro Bohem reviews archive.
- Hearty and well-made fareOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/18/2014Very attentive service, great Czech fare, well-made cocktails and an appropriate wine list. What's not to love?
- Great findAnneVIPDined on 7/12/2014Very cute place with European sidewalk cafe/bistro feel near U Street corridor. The schnitzel with caramelized onion was excellent, as was the Bulgarian cabernet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a gemNotCsitsmaVIPDined on 6/15/2014Great neighborhood gem. Interesting food selections that you normally don't find elsewhere. Czech it out.Special Features:
- Great spot!MDDinerDined on 6/1/2014I visited on a Sunday evening with a friend from out-of-town. The location was convenient - walking distance from the Metro and street parking available for someone driving in. It's beautifully decorated with indoor and outdoor spaces. We sat near an open window in the dining room, and it was quiet and breezy and fantastic! The cocktails were delicious but I almost ordered wine since they had a great little selection. The food was amazing and the server was happy to switch sides. The server was attentive and helpful. Any questions we had were easily answered and we were given space at the end of our meal to enjoy our conversation before departing. A great place for dinner and drinks. I will be back!Special Features:
- Great dining experiencePigsFlyDined on 5/24/2014This is a nicely priced restaurant with a great wine list featuring European offerings. The staff are pleasant and helpful, the food satisfying and well prepared. Best of all, it is free of the pretentiousness that seems to have locked the Washington dining scene in an stranglehold. It's home cooking Czech-style: potato pancakes, schnitzel, sauerkraut accompanied by Czech beer or Thracian Cabernet. I'll be going back and hope to see you there! If you dine outdoors, know this is at a busy intersection.Special Features:
- PHENOMENAL!JessHill4LIFEDined on 5/16/2014I love this restaurant! The menu is great. The drinks are great. I have been here many times and keep coming back for more. Some servers are better than others, but don't let the grumpy man in the café in the mornings ruin it for you.Special Features:
- Authentic Slovak DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014The ambiance felt as if we were dining in the capital cities of Bratislava or Praha real time thanks to the extremely kind international staff. We were entertaining international guests/ family from the Slovak Republic and it was if we were dining in the homeland. After a day of touriing America's captital city it was comforting and at the same time exciting for our guests to be able to sip on a Pilsner and enjoy authentic Czecho-slovakian cusine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- comfortable, ambitious small placeAppreciativeDinerDined on 4/19/2014Small, one-room with bar. Very attractive. Larger sidewalk dining in warmer weather. Excellent and unusual menu of Czech -inspired cuisine provided tasty and carefully prepared choices. Sophisticated wine selection by the glass of wines matching the menu. Restaurant ran out of two different reds, but the Bulgarian cabernet/syrah that I ended up with was excellent. Very friendly wait staff. Good beer, too. Some vegetarian choices.Special Features:
- Great Brunch!TomInBloomingdaleVIPDined on 4/12/2014You can't go wrong here, We had a great relaxing brunch.Special Features:
- Different cuisine -- worth tryingFormerFedVIPDined on 4/4/2014We dropped into Bistro Bohem after a hip-hop performance at the Kennedy Center and found it crowded on a Friday evening. I got a pierogi and the Bavarian bratwurtst entree. Both were very tasty. My girlfriend startted with the kale salad, which she noted she wouldn't have gotten if she'd know kale was one of the side dishes with her beef steak. She liked her dishes, doggy-bagging about half of each. I tried the Kraken cocktail, enticed by its name and a memory of the "Release the Kraken" line from an old movie, while she got a Bohemian margarits. While both were flavorful, we wanted something stronger to end our meal and ordered double tequillas. My girlfried noted that we hadn't received doubles and got the bill reduced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good old fashion Czech comfortBJGSDined on 3/30/2014Good old fashion Czech comfort food, good sized portions. Super friendly Staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice dinner date spot.suicidetumblr88Dined on 3/29/2014I was very satisfied with the service. Our food came out very quickly. The staff was very friendly and polite. I would highly recommend it for anyone looking to have a nice dinner date for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date Night GemGeo89Dined on 3/28/2014This small date night gem provides great traditional eastern bloc comfort food that also has vegetarian options. Homemade bread is a welcome accompaniment to the dishes to soak up the wonderful sauces. Later in the evening the back room had a great DJ and had everyone up and dancing.Special Features:
- Will try againmoresauerkrautpleaseVIPDined on 3/15/2014We had a decent time and meal at the restaurant after a slightly rough beginning where the hostess kept trying to give us a table too small to accommodate 3 diners. I repeatedly told the hostess that we could come back later (we were early for our reservations) if that would help, but she kept wanting to seat us (even though there wasn't anything available to fit). Eventually, it all worked out and we had the cauliflower soup, pierogis, goulash, pork shank and one other dish I couldn't remember. It was all tasty, although one of us did not like the pierogis and I thought the cauliflower had too much cream and not enough cauliflower flavor. The pork shank was very nice and I enjoyed the red cabbage and sauerkraut as well.Special Features:
- Hope It's Better Next TimeEKDCDined on 3/15/2014The food was pretty good and the environment very inviting so I'll give this place another shot. But that said, they really loused up a couple of things. They seated us nearly 30 minutes after our reservation time; no waiter came over to us so after 10-15 minutes we had to tell them to serve us and they didn't bring plates and silverware to us before our appetizers arrived. When we urge them to, y'know, bring us those things while our food was still hot they still didn't seem to rushed. These are the basics, folks. Anyhow, the food was pretty good and it's pretty different from most of the cuisine available in the area. I would go back hoping they just had a bad night in the service department.
- amazinglvncDined on 3/14/2014I really loved this place and the quality of the food.Special Features:
- I had the pork and it wasJust1JimDined on 3/8/2014I had the pork and it was delicious. Portions were a nice size, not too big, but large enough that I was full. Service was great, we were in and out of there in 65 minutes. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- czech please!firsttimerDined on 3/8/2014great authentic food, really good service and diverse menu. all that we hoped for, hope to go back next time we're in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never put in our orderOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/7/2014We sat for two hours. The waitress came to our table twice. We finally asked her what was taking so long, only to realize she never gave our food orders to the kitchen. She did not apologize. We will NEVER go back.
- Charming Neighborhood PlaceRJ42VIPDined on 3/7/2014Food was good. Waitress wonderful -- service could not have been better. It's a charming neighborhood place to which we would return as much for the ambience as for the food.Special Features:
- VERY nice little place!!KatjoeDined on 3/1/2014The staff is mostly Eastern European, and everyone was extremely nice! The food was very good, esp considering that I am usually underwhelmed by what is called German / Central European food in the States (I am from Germany myself). We didn't care very much for the red cabbage as it was VERY heavy on the cinnamon (which is not the way it should be), but the Sauerkraut was OUTSTANDING and definitely the best I've had in the States! The Chicken Schnitzel was delicious and so was the Duck. The Urquell Pilsener was very yummy, too, but too expensive - $7 for a meager 14oz, that is definitely too much!! I'd expect to get at least 16oz for that kind of money...All in all, would (and will!) definitely be back!!! Atmosphere was very nice, too :-)Special Features:
- Great food; service lackingAvgDinerVIPDined on 2/28/2014I enjoyed the ambiance and food at this restaurant, but I was terribly disappointed in the service. A friend and I order two appetizers and drinks with the intent of also ordering dinner afterward. After about 15 minutes, the server came back to see if we wanted to order anything. Um... yes, the apps and drinks we ordered 15 minutes ago... Drinks showed up 5 minutes later, and then the food 10 minutes later. Unfortunately, one of the apps delivered was a different dish than what we ordered (and non-vegetarian, which we discovered only after biting into it). We decided to cut our losses, paid our bill, and went elsewhere for the rest of our meal.Special Features:
- Still amazing!JessicaDined on 2/21/2014The menu may have changed a little since I was there last, but it's just as amazing. The staff are also amazing and it's such a cute little place. We're lucky to have such a gem right in Shaw!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly service - good foodMargueriteDined on 2/16/2014My friends I recently went to Bistro Bohem for dinner. We were looking for a place near the Town DanceBoutique. We were also intrigued by the Eastern European menu. The service was excellent and the food was good, though somewhat salty for me (I had the beef goulash). Overall, we enjoyed our dining experience, and would go back if we were in that neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gret neighborhood placeJgirlVIPDined on 2/3/2014Really liked the food and the wonderful smells. The food was plentiful, very taqsty and inexpensive. The mushroom and potato soup was delightful and the homemade potato chips to die for. I had the chicken schnitzel with potato salad and it was delicious. My friend and I enjoyed a wonderful evening with our daughters here. Would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.