15 E Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.bistrobis.com/
- Phone: 2026612700
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 7:00am - 10:00am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Daily: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Joseph Harran
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our sister restaurant, Vidalia does off-premise catering. Please call Khoa Nguyen at 202-659-1990 for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Bistro Bis offers a special menu for parties of 12 or more.
- Private Party Contact: Tony Fischer 2026612701
A word from Bistro Bis
Bistro Bis is a contemporary French Bistro by Chef/Owner Jeffrey Buben.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Bistro Bis - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill ›
Bistro Bis reviews from OpenTable diners
216 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (116)special occasion (88)great for lunch (70)neighborhood gem (52)romantic (45)notable wine list (42)good for groups (29)great for brunch (23)vibrant bar scene (16)hot spot (15)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Uneven ServiceLovingLucyVIPDined on 9/19/2014My husband and I arrived for drinks and dinner. We have been coming to Bistro Bis since it opened. Our greeter at the podium seemed uninterested in our arrival. We told her that we were going to have a drink in the bar then go to our table. We want to praise the bartender who waited on our table. He was wonderful and our drink, terrific. When we returned to the podium to be seated at our table the young woman did not even want to speak with us. Our dinner was very nice and our server pleasant but the service seemed quite slow for 8 PM on a Friday evening. The restaurant was not very busy but our entree took a long time. We were also disappointed that several of our favorite dishes were no longer on the menu. Going back? Doubt it.
- Pretty goodIrishguyDined on 9/18/2014While the food was good, it is pretty loud and our service was under par. Worth a try.Special Features:
- Its French Food...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/18/2014Had lunch for 2. Service was great, attentive but not overbearing. Food was good French -- all was at least good, some was excellent. Asparagus salad was very tasty. Fish special was good, a bit salty (but then I almost always find restaurant food to have too much salt). Dessert was delicious, if small.
- Always a high pointElkeDined on 9/17/2014Of my frequent trips to Washington DC. The food is always high quality ingredients expertly prepared and the service attentive without ever being intrusive. The menu is a pleasant mix of favorite dishes and seasonal highlights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for work group!DCdinerDined on 9/17/2014Great service. Perfect for a much better than average restaurant dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Bistro Bis has become a "long standing" go to restaurant for entertaining friends and business associates from out of town. In fact they want to return when they come to DC. Still keeps the same high standards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food-Comfortable RoomgenesDined on 9/13/2014No classic dishes to speak of but excellent contemporary food with French flair and preparation.Special Features:
- French getaway on Capitol HillLuv2lunchDined on 9/12/2014I love the options and friendly nature of the place. It's a French restaurant, so no one was expecting a low-fat, diet friendly meal, but I was able to get a decent amount of vegetables (often an issue) by ordering green beans for the table. The menu options were both expected and unique. There was fish, rabbit, chicken and lots of sauce (among others). The service was just right - not too pushy but still attentive. The waiter made good recommendations about the menu. The setting was intimate but the restaurant was full of diners. The food was delicious & my cheeseburger was flavorful and perfectly cooked. I have been here both for business and pleasure, and I recommend it for both! Bon appetite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a palette pleaser.FoodieFunFanVIPDined on 9/10/2014Sitting outdoors in the early evening, enjoying the mouth-watering heirloom tomato salad creation followed by the tasty rockfish entree at Bistro Bis... What could be bad? Enjoy the daily menu offerings by the very inventive chef. Tastes are sure to please. Great standard menu choices as well, particularly fish and seafood. My dining partner had pork chop dish - also perfectly prepared. The proximity to Union Station makes this convenient for a pre-train ride dining experience. Outdoor tables are exposed to street traffic noise. But hey, al fresco on a warm breezy evening is a good thing. Indoor dining ambiance also lovely. Great dessert selections. We enjoyed uniquely prepared creme brûlée, French press coffee. Bravo, everything!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent -don't forget the burgersOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/10/2014Bistro Bis has a great standard menu that I can always turn to for some favorites. They also have a special menu, with seasonal specials. But don't forget the bar menu - the burgers are great and come with delicious fries. Bistro Bis has a small but very good bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeAcedVIPDined on 9/7/2014Onion soup and duck confit were great choices. The duck special was also good but the confit was a bit heavy on the garlic. The foie was fab. Great wine list and service was super.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Good experience. It was well suited for a group business lunch. The service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food--overpriced wine!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/28/2014You can always count on Bistro Bis to deliver French classics with a slight twist. This visit, they had a special rabbit loin appetizer that was in a mustard sauce with blueberries! It was delicious and the rabbit was tender and moist. My one major complaint about Bistro Bis is a wine list that is way overpriced with very few options below $50--maybe just a handful! That being said, I selected a $45 Rhone wine that was marvelous. But a broader selection in the moderate price range would be appreciated.Special Features:
- differentblondieDined on 8/23/2014Good neighborhood place. Not your ordinary Mexican foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty PerfectJosquinDined on 8/23/2014I spend a lot of my time in France and I would be extremely pleased to get a meal as good as the one we had here. The Bistro is not a cheap place - we spent about $100 per head including wine. However it certainly matches up to (and surpasses in terms of food quality) the similarly priced one star Michelin place I used to go to in Languedoc-Roussillon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhlegonVIPDined on 8/21/2014My wife and I dined at Bistro Bis one evening. The food was very good and the service excellent, the latter due to the attentions of a fine waiter. We returned a couple nights later. This time the service (from a different waiter) was below average, in the sense that we didn't see him much and couldn't get his attention when we wanted it. The final blow was when a couple sat down at a closely nearby table, and one of the couple, seated a few feet away from my wife and facing me, coughed frequently and constantly with a deep cough. My wife and I finally lost our appetite, and since we could not locate our waiter to possibly seat us elsewhere, we terminated our meal, paid our bill at the register, and left.Special Features:
- decent restaurant week menu,njd3vilDined on 8/17/2014They only offered us a restaurant week menu to course from, bit disappointing cause so many items on it had an upcharge above the $35.14 taking away from the point. The cocktail menu only had 5 over priced drinks on it, $12 cocktails that are barely interesting? !? And even though my waiter was pleasant, he dragged the "experience" into a two hour affair. Dreadfully long for only a three course meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful and delicious food!Edmyster2Dined on 8/17/2014Went here for RW and so glad I did! The food was beautifully served and tasted as delicious as it looked. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French SpotAlmostaFoodieDined on 8/17/2014I was in the mood for something different and it had been years since I had French food. Everything was delicious. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who is looking for a great spot that isn't over crowded or very loud. The service was good and the food was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a nice, quiet mealkarminozODined on 8/17/2014Great location near Union station, adjacent to a hotel. Courteous staff, flexible to change reservation time. Nice, soft music, with a relaxed atmosphere. Food was not extra-ordinary but good, and the portions average, but the Pork pate was scrumptious! Our server got a little busy at some point and had to be reminded of the wine ordered halfway thru the entree. But otherwise a good, dining experience, and would come back here again for the 'French' cuisine and the cool ambience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week mis-apeiravatiDined on 8/17/2014I chose the restaurant week to try Bistro Bis. I chose it because of the menu it displayed for lunch on the web. Several fish $ meat. I was salivating for a steak. Got there & saw they offer free parking for diner but not for lunch! The place wasnt crowded, free lunch parking on WE would be nice! Got menu & surprise! was not the 1 of website. Was brunch menu w/ 1 fish & lot dishes w/eggs. I eat eggs all week! On WE the menu is different & not mentioned on rest. week web. They should put 3 menus there. I was disappointed Then the air conditioning was dripping on my friend shoulder! Got seated right behind another customer 3" apart, there was room somewhere else. My fish tasted good, but not enough veggies 4 tiny potatoes & few asparagus.Special Features:
- Great RW brunch menuRonGVIPDined on 8/17/2014The food was fabulous. Johnathan was an excellent server. They treated RW the way it should be--a way to introduce a restaurant to someone to entice them to return. We definitely plan to return to try their fall menu for dinner, if only to try the cheese plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion? I think not.LisaPDined on 8/16/2014Our anniversary, unfortunately, is during DC restaurant week. We decided on Bistro Bis this year, because of the raves we'd heard about the food. Thankfully, the food did not disappoint. With the exception of the crème brulee (not horrible, just average), everything was delicious. However...the tables are crowded in with little room in between. The noise level is extremely high. The service was just okay--we had to ask for bread for our mussels and wait for our wine. When we made our reservation, the woman thanked me for letting her know it was our anniversary. Our server wished us a Happy Anniversary, then apologized that since it was restaurant week that was all he could do for us. If it's not restaurant week, I'd pass.Special Features:
- Amazing Servicesprat714Dined on 8/16/2014Probably the best service I have ever had at a restaurant in DC. My husband and I will definitely be going back for that and the french onion soup. The steak frites and beef bourguignon were also good but we have had better.Special Features:
- Summer Restaurant Week 2014wineloverDined on 8/16/2014A wide choice of items in each of the 3 categories: appetizer, entree, dessert for $35.14. Some selections required a supplement of a few dollars. Food was very well prepared and presented. Several wines were offered at a discount for Restaurant Week (a nice plus). Our server recommended, and offered us a taste of, a particular white wine which paired nicely with our fish entrees. Validated parking at a garage across the street was convenient. This was our second visit to Bistro Bis and we'll come again.Special Features:
- Still Got It!CGW9VIPDined on 8/15/2014This mainstay of the DC restaurant scene still has it! We stopped in for dinner on Friday night if restaurant week and it did not disappoint. Unlike other DC restaurants that really pare down their offerings during restaurant week, Bistro Bis came with a full compliment of 8 different appetizers, 8 different entres, and 8 different deserts. The wait staff was absolutely charming and professional--no 20 somethings stumbling over menu pronunciations here, just polished professionals who know their business and who are proud of their restaurant. As for recommendations, start with the chilled corned soup; then balance that out w/ a decadent pork belly for entre, and if you don't order the apple crostata for desert, you're making a mistake:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal, nice date or businessAPAprofessionalDined on 8/15/2014Been to Bistro Bis twice. Been impressed both times. Food: Presented beautifully and was delicious. Melon salad, beets salad, scallops, steak, the creme brulee and apple pastry. IMO, great flavors, light when it should have been, hearty when it should have been. Pleasantly larger portions than many similar restaurants (More than 3 scallops and 4 bites of steak) and desserts that were light but still scrumptious (especially creme brulee) Service: Excellent waiter, Maydel. Extremely knowledgeable of both food, pairing and wines on their own. Interacted the perfect amount. Honest with suggestions for food. Really topped off experience. Ambiance: Professional and elegant. Not the most romantic (not dim lit, not super quiet)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Went to Bistro Bis for restaurant week. They had a great selection of wine and each of the dishes my date and I had were fantastic. The highlight was the confit de canard (Duck in Moroccan sauce)--I believe the regular menu has sweetbreads in Moroccan sauce which I will definitely go back for--and the raspberry mousse dessert (can't remember the French name for it). Both were unbelievable. Server was attentive and nice, and gave a great recommendation with regards to dessert. He was always around, but was not bothersome and always on time with pouring the wine. I noticed a couple had sat down as we were half way through and finished their meal well before we did, so he did a fantastic job accommodating both speeds. Great place to eat.Special Features:
- Very goodJacobDined on 8/14/2014Tried it for Restaurant week, very good. The plates looked and tasted delicious. Ask for Steve or Olga.Special Features:
- Wonderful all around findDcdinerDined on 8/14/2014Our lunch started with a warm greeting from our waiter who made wonderful recommendations from the wine to the main course. Everything was perfectly prepared and beautifully presented and we were give the time and space to enjoy ourselves while never lacking service. Our lunch came to a grand end with a fresh pot of French press coffee and the space to enjoy it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DC Dining WeekHerkdrvrDined on 8/14/2014I can't complain about a $20.14 lunch. However, I will complain about the excessive salt on the steak & fries. Overall--solid.
- SnobsmacdinerDined on 8/13/2014Please don't participate in restaurant week if your heart isn't in it! The waiter was stuck up and made it sound like because it was restaurant week the menu was different and less special. No bread offered or given. Appetizers and desserts were good but the main dishes were not good. My beef bourgignon was so-so meat and some unidentifiable other ingredients that seemed thrown in from a separate dish and not cooked succulently. No charm at this restaurant. The nicest person was the bus boy. Feels like they get guaranteed customers from the adjoining hotel and business meals from the area and they are not looking for new clients.
- Every course was greatJMo31Dined on 8/13/2014From the melon salad to the salmon to the creme brûlée, every course was beautifully prepared. My girlfriend had the pork belly, and it is one of the best pork belly dishes I've had anywhere. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant Week DiningkekuleDined on 8/13/2014We had not dined at Bistro Bis before, and selected them for lunch in Restaurant Week because they listed their extensive menu on the R. W. web site, so we knew what would be offered before we arrived. The food was excellent; the service (Norman) was outstanding. We had a very satisfying meal at a bargain price, and we hope to return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food; good servicefoodloversDined on 8/13/2014The three of us fully enjoyed our meals and had the opportunity to taste each others' choices. All was delicious -- especially the chicken which was the most moist, tender chicken I ever ate, with a delicious sauce that further enchanted my taste buds! The fish (skate) was wonderful - a great opportunity to taste a rare fish choice on many menus. The desserts just hit the spot as a sweet ending to the meal. The service was good with just the right amount of attention. When the dining room is fully booked, the noise level is high - as time passed the room emptied and was much more conducive to a normal sound level of conversation.Special Features:
- Nice place to indulge your sensesDiningCatDined on 8/13/2014Loved the food. My girlfriend and I went for restaurant week and we did notice the little details. Food was 10/10 , service was helpful . I would only be concerned about the pricing as it is a little expensive not in RW, but if you are willing to pay for it, you are not getting a bad bargain. It is worth every penny ! Oh and for nice occasions , it is a great place !Special Features:
- Great lunchPrincessDined on 8/13/2014The food was great and so were the portions. We went for restaurant week and we had an amazing selection- duck, pork belly, salmon. Salads were also good- deserts were good but missing something.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Classic Restaurant in Peak FormvinoVIPDined on 8/12/2014A great Restaurant Week choice--generous options (not just two or three per course I see in some restaurants). One main course was slightly off at our table for 4--the scallops were overwhelmed by a olive flavor, but everything else was so outstanding that we thought 5-stars was appropriate. We also found an excellent 2009 Pomerol for $60 on the wine list. The service was exemplary. The restaurant seems to have upped its game in recent years.Special Features:
- Everything Excelent!HappylilPiggieVIPDined on 8/12/2014We dined during restaurant week. We were a large party and were able to enjoy almost everything offered on the lunch menu. They did NOT skimp ot the menu during this period. The group highly recommended the French Onion Suop, of all things. It was truly the best I've ever had . I will go back just for it. Also, Steak Tartar and Raw Seabass very very good. As for the entrees, Lamb Stew took the cake. However, I must admit, we did not try the Duck Confit, for some dumb reason. Finally but not at all least, Alex, our server was perfect! He was professional, made is laugh without being invasive, knowledgable about the menu, and made great recommendations. We truely felt taken care of. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jonathannesrobin4VIPDined on 8/12/2014I know it may seem a little odd to name your review after a person, but Jonathan is exceptional. Not only will I return, but I better be seated in his area every time! I had lamb stew. It was well seasoned and perfectly cooked. My friend had the duck and the only thing left was the bone. I wasn't sure about the peach creme brule, but it turned out to be delicious. This place exceeded all of my expectations. Thank you.Special Features: