15 E Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.bistrobis.com/
- Phone: 2026612700
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 7:00am - 10:00am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Daily: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Joseph Harran
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our sister restaurant, Vidalia does off-premise catering. Please call Khoa Nguyen at 202-659-1990 for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Bistro Bis offers a special menu for parties of 12 or more.
- Private Party Contact: Tony Fischer 2026612701
A word from Bistro Bis
Bistro Bis is a contemporary French Bistro by Chef/Owner Jeffrey Buben.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Bistro Bis - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill ›
Bistro Bis reviews from OpenTable diners
221 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (120)special occasion (90)great for lunch (69)neighborhood gem (50)romantic (47)notable wine list (46)good for groups (28)great for brunch (18)vibrant bar scene (16)hot spot (15)great for outdoor dining (3)late-night find (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Excellent brunchJoanEDined on 10/19/2014I had been to Bistro Bis for all other meals and was delighted to find brunch as good as all the other meals. I had people in town and wanted a spot near the capitol and they really enjoyed it.Special Features:
- perfect timingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014Nice evening. We had an excellent wine. Service was fantastic and every part of dinner was timed perfectly. Food was cooked perfectly as well. Taste was good but not the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good service, average foodDCeaterDined on 10/17/2014The restaurant offers great service and a decent ambience. However, the food is nothing special, more so when you take prices into account. This is DC, there are at least 10 other French restaurants that offer better food with lower prices, great service and environment. Check out La Chaumeiere or Bistro Du Coin instead, for instance.
- magnificent!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/11/2014Delicious. Superb service. Great location. Would go again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still got it.ManyaDined on 10/11/2014It had been a couple of years since I had been here. It will be much sooner that I return. Must have the lobster bisque and the sweetbreads again. The steak tartare was also very good, as were the scallops. But that bisque..... Unreal! This is definitely elevated bistro fare. Service was fantastic. I can't remember our server's name (nice man with a mustache and the best eyeglasses on) but he was helpful and had a great sense of humor. He also did not rush my date and I to leave. Which was very nice as we were the last people in the dining room. Really deserves 4 1/2 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellentjimy5268Dined on 10/10/2014My wife and I were in Washington for sight seeing. I found Bisto Bis on the internet. Everything was excellent. I highly recommend this restaurant. We will be visiting again our next trip to DC.Special Features:
- Elegant diningCandlestyxVIPDined on 10/6/2014The food was very good and the service was impeccable. Their specialty cocktails were limited in number and one member of our group had to send hers back. It tasted like medicine. The wines by the glass were very good.Special Features:
- Wonderful food, sketchy serviceAtthetableDined on 10/5/2014The salmon was incredibly fresh and deliciously prepared. The service was quite slow and my wine didn't arrive until after the main course was served. Waiter seemed very distracted. Hope it was just an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meeting Placeluv2dineDined on 10/5/2014We met friends for dinner who we had not seen in quite some time. The bar had a great atmosphere for pre-dinner drinks and the restaurant was great. The food was outstanding and our waiter made the experience great fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find near Union StationjodanDined on 10/4/2014We were very pleased with our choice especially since the noise level was very low and we were able to actually carry on a normal conversation with our guest. Validated parking was also a nice touch. Wine list superb as well as the attentive staff.Special Features:
- MediocreSardinianNickDined on 10/3/2014Very "ordinary" for the most part. An "A" for steak frites and pore du creme but "c" for other menu items
- Excellentluvs2eatVIPDined on 10/3/2014Food and service were excellent. Haven't often found such professional and sophisticated service, coupled with such good food in dc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time not a charm...InconsistentDined on 9/30/2014Repeated the visit based on a great first visit, not quote so impressed the second time around. The steak was heading more towards well done than medium. The first time I ordered went, with the recommendation of medium and it came back a touch more than medium rare and it was delicious. This time it was bordering on hockey puck well done. Service was incredibly slow, arrived at 12:30 and left at 1:50, food didn't come until about 1:20...really? I don't think you should ever wonder, "where is our food" during a business lunch.Special Features:
- Dinner in barOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Dinner in the bar is an excellent choice for for a private, quiet meal. The food was perfect and the service excellent. A memorable evening!Special Features:
- Wanted to love itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014The atmosphere is nothing special. We were celebrating a birthday. We were put right next to the waiter station. Lots of noise and banging. Our waiter was nice but not attentive. He never asked us if we would like cocktails or wine. Had to flag him down so we could have wine with our meal. When asked for a wine suggestion he said either a Pinot Noir or a Sancerre, but not any particular one. They ranged from 69.00 to 300. Really ? No suggestions? Out of six of us 2 said it was outstanding , 1 said very good, 3 said good.The rockfish came highly recommended by our waiter. It was nothing special, very bland, don't bother ordering it. The escargot appetizer was outstanding. The creme brulee' was excellent. I really wanted to love it too.Special Features:
- Evening at Bistro BiswatasnakeDined on 9/27/2014As my wife and I entered Bistro Bis, we knew we were in for a treat. Edgar the waiter was knowledgeable and personable and made us both feel comfortable. The food was outstanding! I had scallops and my wife had the Rockfish - both are highly recommended. A+ Bistro Bis.Special Features:
- Awesome Location for Romantic DateSteveGDined on 9/25/2014My visit to Bistro Bis was exceptional. We visited to celebrate my wife's birthday and it was a great experience. Chef James Martin provided and outstanding meal and each bite was one to savor. The chef was friendly,visiting with customers, making the experience even more special. His dishes were creative and aroused taste buds with new flavors and combinations. Our waiter, Edgar was quite attentive and we enjoyed his conversation. He was knowledgeable and seemed like an old friend. We will definitely be back to Bistro Bis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HmmmHmmmDined on 9/25/2014Bistro Bis provides an outstanding menu and the food is superb. The waiter, however, made a mistake in our order resulting in the main dish not being received by one guest until all other guests had finished eating. Other restaurants would try to compensate for the error by offering something to offset the error such as a free dessert or taking the main course off the bill. Not Bistro Bis. Also, a guest inadvertently knocked over his glass of wine. Again, the waiter cleaned up the area but did not offer to refill the wine. The evening was spoiled by the service not understanding they could have recovered a good feeling with just a couple of corrections. Verbal apologies are not adequate.Special Features:
- Uneven ServiceLovingLucyVIPDined on 9/19/2014My husband and I arrived for drinks and dinner. We have been coming to Bistro Bis since it opened. Our greeter at the podium seemed uninterested in our arrival. We told her that we were going to have a drink in the bar then go to our table. We want to praise the bartender who waited on our table. He was wonderful and our drink, terrific. When we returned to the podium to be seated at our table the young woman did not even want to speak with us. Our dinner was very nice and our server pleasant but the service seemed quite slow for 8 PM on a Friday evening. The restaurant was not very busy but our entree took a long time. We were also disappointed that several of our favorite dishes were no longer on the menu. Going back? Doubt it.
- Pretty goodIrishguyDined on 9/18/2014While the food was good, it is pretty loud and our service was under par. Worth a try.Special Features:
- Its French Food...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/18/2014Had lunch for 2. Service was great, attentive but not overbearing. Food was good French -- all was at least good, some was excellent. Asparagus salad was very tasty. Fish special was good, a bit salty (but then I almost always find restaurant food to have too much salt). Dessert was delicious, if small.
- Always a high pointElkeDined on 9/17/2014Of my frequent trips to Washington DC. The food is always high quality ingredients expertly prepared and the service attentive without ever being intrusive. The menu is a pleasant mix of favorite dishes and seasonal highlights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for work group!DCdinerDined on 9/17/2014Great service. Perfect for a much better than average restaurant dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Bistro Bis has become a "long standing" go to restaurant for entertaining friends and business associates from out of town. In fact they want to return when they come to DC. Still keeps the same high standards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food-Comfortable RoomgenesDined on 9/13/2014No classic dishes to speak of but excellent contemporary food with French flair and preparation.Special Features:
- French getaway on Capitol HillLuv2lunchDined on 9/12/2014I love the options and friendly nature of the place. It's a French restaurant, so no one was expecting a low-fat, diet friendly meal, but I was able to get a decent amount of vegetables (often an issue) by ordering green beans for the table. The menu options were both expected and unique. There was fish, rabbit, chicken and lots of sauce (among others). The service was just right - not too pushy but still attentive. The waiter made good recommendations about the menu. The setting was intimate but the restaurant was full of diners. The food was delicious & my cheeseburger was flavorful and perfectly cooked. I have been here both for business and pleasure, and I recommend it for both! Bon appetite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a palette pleaser.FoodieFunFanVIPDined on 9/10/2014Sitting outdoors in the early evening, enjoying the mouth-watering heirloom tomato salad creation followed by the tasty rockfish entree at Bistro Bis... What could be bad? Enjoy the daily menu offerings by the very inventive chef. Tastes are sure to please. Great standard menu choices as well, particularly fish and seafood. My dining partner had pork chop dish - also perfectly prepared. The proximity to Union Station makes this convenient for a pre-train ride dining experience. Outdoor tables are exposed to street traffic noise. But hey, al fresco on a warm breezy evening is a good thing. Indoor dining ambiance also lovely. Great dessert selections. We enjoyed uniquely prepared creme brûlée, French press coffee. Bravo, everything!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent -don't forget the burgersOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/10/2014Bistro Bis has a great standard menu that I can always turn to for some favorites. They also have a special menu, with seasonal specials. But don't forget the bar menu - the burgers are great and come with delicious fries. Bistro Bis has a small but very good bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeAcedVIPDined on 9/7/2014Onion soup and duck confit were great choices. The duck special was also good but the confit was a bit heavy on the garlic. The foie was fab. Great wine list and service was super.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Good experience. It was well suited for a group business lunch. The service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food--overpriced wine!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/28/2014You can always count on Bistro Bis to deliver French classics with a slight twist. This visit, they had a special rabbit loin appetizer that was in a mustard sauce with blueberries! It was delicious and the rabbit was tender and moist. My one major complaint about Bistro Bis is a wine list that is way overpriced with very few options below $50--maybe just a handful! That being said, I selected a $45 Rhone wine that was marvelous. But a broader selection in the moderate price range would be appreciated.Special Features:
- differentblondieDined on 8/23/2014Good neighborhood place. Not your ordinary Mexican foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty PerfectJosquinDined on 8/23/2014I spend a lot of my time in France and I would be extremely pleased to get a meal as good as the one we had here. The Bistro is not a cheap place - we spent about $100 per head including wine. However it certainly matches up to (and surpasses in terms of food quality) the similarly priced one star Michelin place I used to go to in Languedoc-Roussillon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhlegonVIPDined on 8/21/2014My wife and I dined at Bistro Bis one evening. The food was very good and the service excellent, the latter due to the attentions of a fine waiter. We returned a couple nights later. This time the service (from a different waiter) was below average, in the sense that we didn't see him much and couldn't get his attention when we wanted it. The final blow was when a couple sat down at a closely nearby table, and one of the couple, seated a few feet away from my wife and facing me, coughed frequently and constantly with a deep cough. My wife and I finally lost our appetite, and since we could not locate our waiter to possibly seat us elsewhere, we terminated our meal, paid our bill at the register, and left.Special Features:
- decent restaurant week menu,njd3vilDined on 8/17/2014They only offered us a restaurant week menu to course from, bit disappointing cause so many items on it had an upcharge above the $35.14 taking away from the point. The cocktail menu only had 5 over priced drinks on it, $12 cocktails that are barely interesting? !? And even though my waiter was pleasant, he dragged the "experience" into a two hour affair. Dreadfully long for only a three course meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful and delicious food!Edmyster2Dined on 8/17/2014Went here for RW and so glad I did! The food was beautifully served and tasted as delicious as it looked. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French SpotAlmostaFoodieDined on 8/17/2014I was in the mood for something different and it had been years since I had French food. Everything was delicious. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who is looking for a great spot that isn't over crowded or very loud. The service was good and the food was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a nice, quiet mealkarminozODined on 8/17/2014Great location near Union station, adjacent to a hotel. Courteous staff, flexible to change reservation time. Nice, soft music, with a relaxed atmosphere. Food was not extra-ordinary but good, and the portions average, but the Pork pate was scrumptious! Our server got a little busy at some point and had to be reminded of the wine ordered halfway thru the entree. But otherwise a good, dining experience, and would come back here again for the 'French' cuisine and the cool ambience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week mis-apeiravatiDined on 8/17/2014I chose the restaurant week to try Bistro Bis. I chose it because of the menu it displayed for lunch on the web. Several fish $ meat. I was salivating for a steak. Got there & saw they offer free parking for diner but not for lunch! The place wasnt crowded, free lunch parking on WE would be nice! Got menu & surprise! was not the 1 of website. Was brunch menu w/ 1 fish & lot dishes w/eggs. I eat eggs all week! On WE the menu is different & not mentioned on rest. week web. They should put 3 menus there. I was disappointed Then the air conditioning was dripping on my friend shoulder! Got seated right behind another customer 3" apart, there was room somewhere else. My fish tasted good, but not enough veggies 4 tiny potatoes & few asparagus.Special Features:
- Great RW brunch menuRonGVIPDined on 8/17/2014The food was fabulous. Johnathan was an excellent server. They treated RW the way it should be--a way to introduce a restaurant to someone to entice them to return. We definitely plan to return to try their fall menu for dinner, if only to try the cheese plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.