15 E Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.bistrobis.com/
- Phone: (202) 661-2700
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 7:00am - 10:00am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Daily: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Joseph Harran
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our sister restaurant, Vidalia does off-premise catering. Please call Khoa Nguyen at 202-659-1990 for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Bistro Bis offers a special menu for parties of 12 or more.
- Private Party Contact: Tony Fischer 2026612701
A word from Bistro Bis
Bistro Bis is a contemporary French Bistro by Chef/Owner Jeffrey Buben.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Bistro Bis - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill ›
Bistro Bis reviews from OpenTable diners
219 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (122)special occasion (88)great for lunch (69)romantic (49)neighborhood gem (47)notable wine list (44)good for groups (30)great for brunch (19)hot spot (17)vibrant bar scene (16)great for outdoor dining (3)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- A delightful bistroChadDined on 11/15/2014Captures the essence of modern French bistro dining with simple, yet elegant fare that is prepared perfectly and served with professionalism and grace. A delightful night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid French bistroAlohagirlDined on 11/13/2014Good food, nice presentation, excellent service. Always eat here when I travel to DC. Really love the French onion soup and the delicious beer salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CarlyDined on 11/8/2014We were celebrating my girlfriend’s birthday and I had forgotten to make a note of the event when I made the reservations but I mentioned it to our waiter and the kitchen prepared a beautiful plate of desserts with “Happy Birthday” written on the plate. We could not have asked for a more enjoyable afternoon. The food was excellent, especially the French onion soup, the beet salad and the steak, eggs and frites. The atmosphere was romantic and our waiters and servers were terrific! I would highly recommend this restaurant and will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Great but...JuliusDined on 11/7/2014The service, ambiance, food, and beverages (surprisingly limited wine list) were wonderful, and fit the bill for a modern urban bistro. The only negative, which is substantial to me, is the relatively early closing time. We had a 9:30 reservation, arrived late at 9:45, and were immediately seated, without rush. But when our server took our order, we were encouraged to order our main course immediately, because the kitchen would close at 10:30. This was on a Friday night in Washington, DC! By the time we finished our meal, drinks, and lounging, it was near midnight, and we were clearly being encouraged to wrap it up and go. What a great place for hanging out and enjoying an evening - but why stop so early?!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A true "Gem" on Capitol Hillhoosac1964Dined on 11/7/2014This is the 6th or 7th time I've dined at Bistro Bis - great food - fantastic soups and specials - attentive service and a well-stocked bar! I never fail to impress guests when we go to Bistro Bis - please don't change a thing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConvenientGeorgieDined on 11/5/2014I could not check any of the above boxes in question 2 because Bistro Bis is not remarkable in any of the categories. What it is is convenient to the Capitol neighborhood where my employer puts me up for DC conferences. The food is average for this price range although the wine list is somewhat expensive. I do recommend it for the efficient, extremely friendly service and location near the Capitol and many, many government offices.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible foodtinkerbellDined on 11/4/2014Overcooked food and slow service. Dining room is much too noisy -- it isn't energetic, it's loud! And, geez, how hard is it to bring another iced tea! Creme brulee isn't creamy.
- Great food. Great serviceEatsaroundDined on 11/1/2014We had a party of 5. The waiter helped us pick out a reasonable bottle of wine that was delicious. The food was excellent--from presentation to portion size to taste. I thought the appetizers were some of the best. We had the beet salad, the plat du jambon, and the tuna tartar. All were amazing!Special Features:
- Great brunchAddieleeDined on 11/1/2014The food here was excellent. Eggs benedict had the perfect hollandaise sauce with very good smoked canadian bacon. It was perfect for brunch, but it is definitely a restaurant in a hotel, so the setting was not what we had expected. The location was ideal for a day of touring the capital. I would eat here again.Special Features:
- Power LunchKhalekDined on 10/31/2014The waiter went above and beyond to make us feel comfortable and clearly understood we were on a tight schedule. The burgers were pretty good and the coffee was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TreatkdubDined on 10/28/2014Bistro Bis is across the street from my office. It's well run, expensive for my pocket book, but has exceptional food. I took my partner there for a birthday lunch. She's a vegetarian and in advance I saw one entre that would suit her. We split a salad of roasted carots and grains, entre and side special of cauliflower. All three were excellent and beautifully served. The entre was a mushroom pasta dish which was attractively served and was the best I've ever tasted. The seasoning of each dish was spot on. I certainly would go back on a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Anniversary DinnerLinoDined on 10/25/2014My husband was quite taken with the steak tartare and we both loved the burgundy beef. The waiters are very attentive and it was a pleasant evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal with FamilyTouristInDCDined on 10/22/2014With a reservation, our party of six was seated right away, with no hesitation about accommodating our baby. The stroller was checked, and a high-chair was produced immediately. We sat down to dine on excellent mussels, soup, salad, lamb, coq au vin, etc. Service was timely and efficient. We had a great night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent brunchJoanEDined on 10/19/2014I had been to Bistro Bis for all other meals and was delighted to find brunch as good as all the other meals. I had people in town and wanted a spot near the capitol and they really enjoyed it.Special Features:
- perfect timingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014Nice evening. We had an excellent wine. Service was fantastic and every part of dinner was timed perfectly. Food was cooked perfectly as well. Taste was good but not the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good service, average foodDCeaterDined on 10/17/2014The restaurant offers great service and a decent ambience. However, the food is nothing special, more so when you take prices into account. This is DC, there are at least 10 other French restaurants that offer better food with lower prices, great service and environment. Check out La Chaumeiere or Bistro Du Coin instead, for instance.
- magnificent!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/11/2014Delicious. Superb service. Great location. Would go again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still got it.ManyaDined on 10/11/2014It had been a couple of years since I had been here. It will be much sooner that I return. Must have the lobster bisque and the sweetbreads again. The steak tartare was also very good, as were the scallops. But that bisque..... Unreal! This is definitely elevated bistro fare. Service was fantastic. I can't remember our server's name (nice man with a mustache and the best eyeglasses on) but he was helpful and had a great sense of humor. He also did not rush my date and I to leave. Which was very nice as we were the last people in the dining room. Really deserves 4 1/2 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellentjimy5268Dined on 10/10/2014My wife and I were in Washington for sight seeing. I found Bisto Bis on the internet. Everything was excellent. I highly recommend this restaurant. We will be visiting again our next trip to DC.Special Features:
- Elegant diningCandlestyxVIPDined on 10/6/2014The food was very good and the service was impeccable. Their specialty cocktails were limited in number and one member of our group had to send hers back. It tasted like medicine. The wines by the glass were very good.Special Features:
- Wonderful food, sketchy serviceAtthetableDined on 10/5/2014The salmon was incredibly fresh and deliciously prepared. The service was quite slow and my wine didn't arrive until after the main course was served. Waiter seemed very distracted. Hope it was just an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meeting Placeluv2dineDined on 10/5/2014We met friends for dinner who we had not seen in quite some time. The bar had a great atmosphere for pre-dinner drinks and the restaurant was great. The food was outstanding and our waiter made the experience great fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find near Union StationjodanDined on 10/4/2014We were very pleased with our choice especially since the noise level was very low and we were able to actually carry on a normal conversation with our guest. Validated parking was also a nice touch. Wine list superb as well as the attentive staff.Special Features:
- MediocreSardinianNickDined on 10/3/2014Very "ordinary" for the most part. An "A" for steak frites and pore du creme but "c" for other menu items
- Excellentluvs2eatVIPDined on 10/3/2014Food and service were excellent. Haven't often found such professional and sophisticated service, coupled with such good food in dc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time not a charm...InconsistentDined on 9/30/2014Repeated the visit based on a great first visit, not quote so impressed the second time around. The steak was heading more towards well done than medium. The first time I ordered went, with the recommendation of medium and it came back a touch more than medium rare and it was delicious. This time it was bordering on hockey puck well done. Service was incredibly slow, arrived at 12:30 and left at 1:50, food didn't come until about 1:20...really? I don't think you should ever wonder, "where is our food" during a business lunch.Special Features:
- Dinner in barOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Dinner in the bar is an excellent choice for for a private, quiet meal. The food was perfect and the service excellent. A memorable evening!Special Features:
- Wanted to love itmomof3Dined on 9/27/2014The atmosphere is nothing special. We were celebrating a birthday. We were put right next to the waiter station. Lots of noise and banging. Our waiter was nice but not attentive. He never asked us if we would like cocktails or wine. Had to flag him down so we could have wine with our meal. When asked for a wine suggestion he said either a Pinot Noir or a Sancerre, but not any particular one. They ranged from 69.00 to 300. Really ? No suggestions? Out of six of us 2 said it was outstanding , 1 said very good, 3 said good.The rockfish came highly recommended by our waiter. It was nothing special, very bland, don't bother ordering it. The escargot appetizer was outstanding. The creme brulee' was excellent. I really wanted to love it too.Special Features:
- Evening at Bistro BiswatasnakeDined on 9/27/2014As my wife and I entered Bistro Bis, we knew we were in for a treat. Edgar the waiter was knowledgeable and personable and made us both feel comfortable. The food was outstanding! I had scallops and my wife had the Rockfish - both are highly recommended. A+ Bistro Bis.Special Features:
- Awesome Location for Romantic DateSteveGDined on 9/25/2014My visit to Bistro Bis was exceptional. We visited to celebrate my wife's birthday and it was a great experience. Chef James Martin provided and outstanding meal and each bite was one to savor. The chef was friendly,visiting with customers, making the experience even more special. His dishes were creative and aroused taste buds with new flavors and combinations. Our waiter, Edgar was quite attentive and we enjoyed his conversation. He was knowledgeable and seemed like an old friend. We will definitely be back to Bistro Bis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HmmmHmmmDined on 9/25/2014Bistro Bis provides an outstanding menu and the food is superb. The waiter, however, made a mistake in our order resulting in the main dish not being received by one guest until all other guests had finished eating. Other restaurants would try to compensate for the error by offering something to offset the error such as a free dessert or taking the main course off the bill. Not Bistro Bis. Also, a guest inadvertently knocked over his glass of wine. Again, the waiter cleaned up the area but did not offer to refill the wine. The evening was spoiled by the service not understanding they could have recovered a good feeling with just a couple of corrections. Verbal apologies are not adequate.Special Features:
- Uneven ServiceLovingLucyVIPDined on 9/19/2014My husband and I arrived for drinks and dinner. We have been coming to Bistro Bis since it opened. Our greeter at the podium seemed uninterested in our arrival. We told her that we were going to have a drink in the bar then go to our table. We want to praise the bartender who waited on our table. He was wonderful and our drink, terrific. When we returned to the podium to be seated at our table the young woman did not even want to speak with us. Our dinner was very nice and our server pleasant but the service seemed quite slow for 8 PM on a Friday evening. The restaurant was not very busy but our entree took a long time. We were also disappointed that several of our favorite dishes were no longer on the menu. Going back? Doubt it.
- Pretty goodIrishguyDined on 9/18/2014While the food was good, it is pretty loud and our service was under par. Worth a try.Special Features:
- Its French Food...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/18/2014Had lunch for 2. Service was great, attentive but not overbearing. Food was good French -- all was at least good, some was excellent. Asparagus salad was very tasty. Fish special was good, a bit salty (but then I almost always find restaurant food to have too much salt). Dessert was delicious, if small.
- Always a high pointElkeDined on 9/17/2014Of my frequent trips to Washington DC. The food is always high quality ingredients expertly prepared and the service attentive without ever being intrusive. The menu is a pleasant mix of favorite dishes and seasonal highlights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for work group!DCdinerDined on 9/17/2014Great service. Perfect for a much better than average restaurant dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Bistro Bis has become a "long standing" go to restaurant for entertaining friends and business associates from out of town. In fact they want to return when they come to DC. Still keeps the same high standards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food-Comfortable RoomgenesDined on 9/13/2014No classic dishes to speak of but excellent contemporary food with French flair and preparation.Special Features:
- French getaway on Capitol HillLuv2lunchDined on 9/12/2014I love the options and friendly nature of the place. It's a French restaurant, so no one was expecting a low-fat, diet friendly meal, but I was able to get a decent amount of vegetables (often an issue) by ordering green beans for the table. The menu options were both expected and unique. There was fish, rabbit, chicken and lots of sauce (among others). The service was just right - not too pushy but still attentive. The waiter made good recommendations about the menu. The setting was intimate but the restaurant was full of diners. The food was delicious & my cheeseburger was flavorful and perfectly cooked. I have been here both for business and pleasure, and I recommend it for both! Bon appetite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a palette pleaser.FoodieFunFanVIPDined on 9/10/2014Sitting outdoors in the early evening, enjoying the mouth-watering heirloom tomato salad creation followed by the tasty rockfish entree at Bistro Bis... What could be bad? Enjoy the daily menu offerings by the very inventive chef. Tastes are sure to please. Great standard menu choices as well, particularly fish and seafood. My dining partner had pork chop dish - also perfectly prepared. The proximity to Union Station makes this convenient for a pre-train ride dining experience. Outdoor tables are exposed to street traffic noise. But hey, al fresco on a warm breezy evening is a good thing. Indoor dining ambiance also lovely. Great dessert selections. We enjoyed uniquely prepared creme brûlée, French press coffee. Bravo, everything!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.