Bistro Aix - SF
3340 Steiner Street
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
French AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Bistro Aix - SF
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bistroaix.com/
- Phone: (415) 202-0100
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday-Thursday 5:30-10:00 pm, Friday-Saturday 5:30-10:30pm, Sunday 5:30-9:30pm.
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, French American
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Beard
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Glass atrium patio with 80 years old olive tree, old growth redwood banquettes offers seating of up to 50 people for a private function. Front of the restaurant seats about 45 more, including 12-seat bar and semi-open kitchen. Menu is seasonal and accomodating.
- Private Party Contact: Roxy Flores 8883421399
A word from Bistro Aix - SF
Bistro Aix is a chef owned neighborhood bistro. Purchasing the finest local ingredients from farmers and selecting grower/producer, naturally made wines is what sets us apart. Recently remodeled, Bistro Aix has been serving our community since February of 1996. Our new California Oak burning grill inspires us in our daily changing menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bistro Aix - SF reviews from OpenTable diners
3 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (3)neighborhood gem (2)notable wine list (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- JohnnyGDined on 11/15/2014Very pleasant atmosphere, very good service. Enjoyed the food, good mix of healthy selections and taste. decent wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 519 reviews are from the Bistro Aix - SF reviews archive.
- One of SF's bestJMBSFDined on 11/15/2014We have been eating here for years and never disappointed. The food is consistently wonderful, the service is professional and friendly without being obsequious, the atmosphere is lively but the noise is not deafening. Definitely a favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bistro Aix never disappoints.AmbianceHunterSFVIPDined on 11/12/2014Made a reservation for a friend's birthday this week and everything was perfect. Amazing food, relaxing ambiance and convenient for people meeting up from different parts of the city and across the Bay. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eskimoe82Dined on 11/8/2014We loved the experience here. Great ambience, amazing food and a fantastic bottle of wineSpecial Features:
- A new favorite!SyjazellVIPDined on 11/4/2014The food is fresh, local and interesting. Always new items on the menu and a great wine list! Staff is friendly and accessible. We love the atrium with central tree and fairy lights. We plan to go often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed food bag; difficult wine listSPinSFDined on 11/1/2014Mixed bag with a table of four. Two dishes good, one was below average (tough, chewy gnocchi) and the other arrived quite late due to misplaced order. Main advisories: Menu is ambitious but execution and presentation may not be up to the task; wine list is way out of proportion to the menu in terms of price. I say it is a "notable" wine list but hard to find anything under $60, and many bottles over $100. In contrast, menu firsts are in the mid-teens and entrees in the mid-20s. For those who care about such things any more, don't worry about how you look; waiters in shorts and hostess in wildly torn jeans. With all the good places to explore in SF I can't see hurrying back any time soon.Special Features:
- Great food but...FSSFDined on 10/31/2014I went there hoping to have fish which was on their menu but they were out of it (i was there for a relatively early dinner). It seems that if you're in the business of providing food to people you should make sure you have it to sell! I ended up having chicken which I've had before and it was delicious but I was frustrated because I went there to have the fish.Special Features:
- good experience!MarieDined on 10/21/2014a second trip in 2 weeks, and it was as good if not better the second time. Service great, food exceptional...noise level for the "older sect" was tough...large grp next to us didn't help, but a return visit for sureSpecial Features:
- disappointedVIPDined on 10/18/2014Service was long (most likely kitchen overwhelmed), polite but impersonal. Food is good. the extension in the back room is cold. Too expansive for the quality and the serviceSpecial Features:
- Great local restaurantadb1146Dined on 10/16/2014From the moment I walked in I felt welcome. From the friendly bartender who knew the locals by name to the great food and atmosphere the entire experience left me wanting to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal at Bistro AixCatherineDined on 10/11/2014We came here due to it's proximity to the Palace of Fine Arts for the Saturday performance. The food was terrific all the way around. We ordered 5 of the appetizers and all were excellent. The entrees were equally good. Good wine list, good service, and we made the curtain by 1 minute. Would definitely go again and spend more time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Thank you for a great dinner. It is always good to try new things on the menu, e.g., the spotted prawns.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Misleading NameburgattoDined on 9/24/2014I was in the mood for some French Bistro food, but didn't really find the menu to reflect the name of the restaurant. It was a pleasant meal, but the overall experience was not what I would expect from a restaurant that the SF Chronicle voted one of the "Top 100 Restaurants in the Bay Area".Special Features:
- Great foodZewsDined on 9/17/2014The calamari was the best I have ever had. Not greasy, just the right amount of spicy, ... perfect. Our waiter was very attentive, and helpful in recommending a wine. We had eaten here before and will eat here again.Special Features:
- Tasty and comfortableMcFoodieDined on 9/17/2014Bistro is what it is. Really well prepared food served by friendly people this is what a NorCal French Bistro should be. Go with friends or familiar business associates for a really good meal at a VERY reasonable price. Bartender deserves a mention as making us very comfortable and welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MauraOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/16/2014xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodOutandaboutDined on 9/6/2014You can never go wrong with Bistro Aix. The food is consistently good and the staff is very friendly. It's definitely a neighborhood restaurant with a casual welcoming feel. Always one of my favorite restaurants!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/6/2014excellent food. definitely going back this restaurant to try different dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SushifanDined on 9/1/2014we've enjoyed our dinner experience at bistro aix...food was very good and tasty, the ambience was relaxed and friendly, and service was very attentive, we will come back for more nice dinnersSpecial Features:
- Like being in another worldSyjazellVIPDined on 8/28/2014Walking through the typical narrow, slightly dark City restaurant, we emerged into a charming light patio with a beautiful ancient Olive tree in the center . The food & service & wine were equally enchanting! It is our new favorite spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bistro AixadulticeskaterVIPDined on 8/10/2014Bistro Aix is a neighborhood restaurant that offers a varied menu that changes frequently. The food is adequate but not outstanding; the ambiance is very casual, and the service is somewhat slow. However, the wine list has a good selection of moderately priced French country wines, and the wine service is impeccable.Special Features:
- Our "go to" placeSumacDined on 8/8/2014We've been eating at Bistro Aix for the last ten years and are always happy with our experience. The menu has some standard items but there is always something new and seasonal. The wait staff is friendly and attentive. It's a great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love2cookneatDined on 8/6/2014The dishes that I ordered - spaghetti with grilled squid in squid ink and the lamb meatballs - were too salty. Got the same feedback from GF . The first spaghetti dish brought was the wrong order. The server was apologetic and I did get the right dish fairly quickly.
- Love the bread!UnclbarVIPDined on 8/5/2014One of my primary indicators for how much a restaurant cares for its patrons is their bread--do they bake on premises (rarely) and do they slice it ahead of time? Check out how Bistro Aix handles that. It's usually a telling sign.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Bistro FarefatcatDined on 8/3/2014Truly enjoyed Octopus with chimichurri sauce and grilled fig with goat cheese. Very good baguette. (very important!) Main dish - good but rather ordinary and not so Provença as the restaurant name suggests. Great wine list but bottles seem pricier than usual. Wish there was more wine by the glass offerings. Service is very warm and solid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Value for Excellent Food!FoodieVIPDined on 7/27/2014Bistro Aix never disappoints. It is such a pleasure to enjoy a delicious meal without being gouged. However, I will try to remember to reserve a table after 8pm when the noise level seems to subside as fewer children are in attendence after this hour. While I love kids, it is difficult to enjoy a peaceful meal when children are screaming and crying near one's table. Again, the meal is good value!!! Thank you.Special Features:
- Perfect local spotdschoDined on 7/26/2014Went for my birthday, we brought our own wine and there was a corkage fee of $20 which wasn't bad. The server was very friendly, although he did take forever to bring us bread and took away our dessert before we were finished (maybe a good thing). The food was excellent!! Varied menu suitable to anyone. Would come back for sure.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood gem!shelman88VIPDined on 7/22/2014This was the first dinner my wife and I had in San Francisco and may have been our favorite. The neighborhood is far from downtown so it is not touristy at all. It was a very low key and relaxed atmosphere with great food. Can't wait to return to this place next time we're in town!Special Features:
- always goodrungirlsfDined on 7/21/2014I tend to be a creature of habit. Love Bistro Aix. Never had a bad meal here...ever. Consistent, above average to great food, service does not interrupt....all in all, a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- MthomasDined on 7/17/2014Really enjoy bistro Aix. I usually end up at this restaurant with a group and the back area works out really well for that. Fun menu with enough variety to make most people happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS TERRIFICOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/13/2014BISTRO AIX IS OUR GO-TO RESTAURANT FOR TOP NOTCH CONTINENTAL FOOD. THEIR MENU IS ECLECTIC BUT ALWAYS OFFER MANY EXCELLENT CHOICES. WE ARE NEVER DISAPPOINTED IN ANYTHING WE CHOOSE AND WE DO GO FAIRLY REGULARLY. SERVICE IS EXCELLENT TOO EVEN ON THE BUSIEST NIGHTS. OUR CHILDREN, AGES 16,9, LOVE THE CHOICES TOO. BURGERS ARE AS GOOD AS ANYONE IN SFO.Special Features:
- Lovely neighborhood gemretired2paintDined on 7/13/2014Quick bite before improv at Fort Mason. Mix of dishes at our table, all delicious. From a simple hamburger on focaccia with the most amazing French fries to perfectly cooked halibut and crispy chicken, each of our dinners left us wanting more. Will be back!Special Features:
- Adorable Neighborhood RestaurantmonfrankDined on 7/4/2014The roast chicken with green beans was excellent. With the skylight, olive tree, and modern/rustic decor, the ambiance is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Gem in the MarinaMattCDined on 7/2/2014I took my mom and girlfriend to Bistro Aix a month ago. We all enjoyed what we ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Donovan59VIPDined on 7/2/2014Hadn't been there in years, but went for a friends birthday celebration and was blown away. EVERYTHING was spectacular! I will be taking my husband back for sure!Special Features:
- Special attention, delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/1/2014My husband has special needs, which were very kindly met. We felt welcome and enjoyed a delicious early dinner.Special Features:
- Consistently Fantastic!FantasticDined on 6/21/2014Been dining here since they opened and the food and service always fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable3bytheseaVIPDined on 6/21/2014We had a lovely dinner here the other night...service was great! Food was great! My only suggestion is that perhaps they put in some low maintenance flooring to muffle the noisiness of the atrium area. Was hard to hear my husband with the chatter in the room which was not all that large.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No X'ing Aix!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/20/2014I selected Bistro Aix for friends coming in from out of town. Both are big foodies and we all loved it! Great food, good service, nice ambience, though when the atrium area fills up it does get loud. Recommendations: fried artichokes, tagliatelle with beef bourgignon, halibut, roasted chicken...and the vanilla bean creme brûlée: omg!! Really good. The beer selection though small was interesting with some really tasty entries. We would all return to this restaurant and highly recommend it for others. Great Cow Hollow neighborhood selection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharmingFoodyumDined on 6/18/2014This place has amazing food and wine. The staff were awesome. Give it a try! You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.