Bistro Aix - SF
3340 Steiner Street
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
French AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Bistro Aix - SF
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bistroaix.com/
- Phone: 4152020100
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday-Thursday 5:30-10:00 pm, Friday-Saturday 5:30-10:30pm, Sunday 5:30-9:30pm.
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, French American
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Beard
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Glass atrium patio with 80 years old olive tree, old growth redwood banquettes offers seating of up to 50 people for a private function. Front of the restaurant seats about 45 more, including 12-seat bar and semi-open kitchen. Menu is seasonal and accomodating.
- Private Party Contact: Roxy Flores 8883421399
A word from Bistro Aix - SF
Bistro Aix is a chef owned neighborhood bistro. Purchasing the finest local ingredients from farmers and selecting grower/producer, naturally made wines is what sets us apart. Recently remodeled, Bistro Aix has been serving our community since February of 1996. Our new California Oak burning grill inspires us in our daily changing menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bistro Aix - SF reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (68)fit for foodies (55)notable wine list (32)romantic (23)good for groups (20)special occasion (19)kid-friendly (10)vibrant bar scene (9)hot spot (6)great for outdoor dining (6)great for lunch (3)late-night find (2)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Bistro AixadulticeskaterVIPDined on 8/10/2014Bistro Aix is a neighborhood restaurant that offers a varied menu that changes frequently. The food is adequate but not outstanding; the ambiance is very casual, and the service is somewhat slow. However, the wine list has a good selection of moderately priced French country wines, and the wine service is impeccable.Special Features:
- Our "go to" placeSumacDined on 8/8/2014We've been eating at Bistro Aix for the last ten years and are always happy with our experience. The menu has some standard items but there is always something new and seasonal. The wait staff is friendly and attentive. It's a great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love2cookneatDined on 8/6/2014The dishes that I ordered - spaghetti with grilled squid in squid ink and the lamb meatballs - were too salty. Got the same feedback from GF . The first spaghetti dish brought was the wrong order. The server was apologetic and I did get the right dish fairly quickly.
- Love the bread!UnclbarDined on 8/5/2014One of my primary indicators for how much a restaurant cares for its patrons is their bread--do they bake on premises (rarely) and do they slice it ahead of time? Check out how Bistro Aix handles that. It's usually a telling sign.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Bistro FarefatcatDined on 8/3/2014Truly enjoyed Octopus with chimichurri sauce and grilled fig with goat cheese. Very good baguette. (very important!) Main dish - good but rather ordinary and not so Provença as the restaurant name suggests. Great wine list but bottles seem pricier than usual. Wish there was more wine by the glass offerings. Service is very warm and solid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Value for Excellent Food!FoodieVIPDined on 7/27/2014Bistro Aix never disappoints. It is such a pleasure to enjoy a delicious meal without being gouged. However, I will try to remember to reserve a table after 8pm when the noise level seems to subside as fewer children are in attendence after this hour. While I love kids, it is difficult to enjoy a peaceful meal when children are screaming and crying near one's table. Again, the meal is good value!!! Thank you.Special Features:
- Perfect local spotdschoDined on 7/26/2014Went for my birthday, we brought our own wine and there was a corkage fee of $20 which wasn't bad. The server was very friendly, although he did take forever to bring us bread and took away our dessert before we were finished (maybe a good thing). The food was excellent!! Varied menu suitable to anyone. Would come back for sure.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood gem!shelman88VIPDined on 7/22/2014This was the first dinner my wife and I had in San Francisco and may have been our favorite. The neighborhood is far from downtown so it is not touristy at all. It was a very low key and relaxed atmosphere with great food. Can't wait to return to this place next time we're in town!Special Features:
- always goodrungirlsfDined on 7/21/2014I tend to be a creature of habit. Love Bistro Aix. Never had a bad meal here...ever. Consistent, above average to great food, service does not interrupt....all in all, a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- MthomasDined on 7/17/2014Really enjoy bistro Aix. I usually end up at this restaurant with a group and the back area works out really well for that. Fun menu with enough variety to make most people happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS TERRIFICOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/13/2014BISTRO AIX IS OUR GO-TO RESTAURANT FOR TOP NOTCH CONTINENTAL FOOD. THEIR MENU IS ECLECTIC BUT ALWAYS OFFER MANY EXCELLENT CHOICES. WE ARE NEVER DISAPPOINTED IN ANYTHING WE CHOOSE AND WE DO GO FAIRLY REGULARLY. SERVICE IS EXCELLENT TOO EVEN ON THE BUSIEST NIGHTS. OUR CHILDREN, AGES 16,9, LOVE THE CHOICES TOO. BURGERS ARE AS GOOD AS ANYONE IN SFO.Special Features:
- Lovely neighborhood gemretired2paintDined on 7/13/2014Quick bite before improv at Fort Mason. Mix of dishes at our table, all delicious. From a simple hamburger on focaccia with the most amazing French fries to perfectly cooked halibut and crispy chicken, each of our dinners left us wanting more. Will be back!Special Features:
- Adorable Neighborhood RestaurantmonfrankDined on 7/4/2014The roast chicken with green beans was excellent. With the skylight, olive tree, and modern/rustic decor, the ambiance is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Gem in the MarinaMattCDined on 7/2/2014I took my mom and girlfriend to Bistro Aix a month ago. We all enjoyed what we ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Donovan59VIPDined on 7/2/2014Hadn't been there in years, but went for a friends birthday celebration and was blown away. EVERYTHING was spectacular! I will be taking my husband back for sure!Special Features:
- Special attention, delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/1/2014My husband has special needs, which were very kindly met. We felt welcome and enjoyed a delicious early dinner.Special Features:
- Consistently Fantastic!FantasticDined on 6/21/2014Been dining here since they opened and the food and service always fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable3bytheseaVIPDined on 6/21/2014We had a lovely dinner here the other night...service was great! Food was great! My only suggestion is that perhaps they put in some low maintenance flooring to muffle the noisiness of the atrium area. Was hard to hear my husband with the chatter in the room which was not all that large.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No X'ing Aix!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/20/2014I selected Bistro Aix for friends coming in from out of town. Both are big foodies and we all loved it! Great food, good service, nice ambience, though when the atrium area fills up it does get loud. Recommendations: fried artichokes, tagliatelle with beef bourgignon, halibut, roasted chicken...and the vanilla bean creme brûlée: omg!! Really good. The beer selection though small was interesting with some really tasty entries. We would all return to this restaurant and highly recommend it for others. Great Cow Hollow neighborhood selection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharmingFoodyumDined on 6/18/2014This place has amazing food and wine. The staff were awesome. Give it a try! You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go early or lateKaptDined on 6/14/2014Palate tickling flavor combinations and variety of menu selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/13/2014We sat in the Atrium and several large groups were present and the noise level was quite "energetic". Didn't distract, but made it challenging to converse with everyone.Special Features:
- Great foodSFgirl9Dined on 6/12/2014We started out with the Tempura fried calamari which was so tender and light. They make their own focaccia and it was the best ever. Then we had the mascarpone ravioli another delicious dish. We ended with the Sonoma chicken breast. This chicken is so amazing, tender, juicy and the flavor was incredible. The four of us left there completely happy. Our waiter recommended a nice wine and was very attentive.Special Features:
- Solid spot in MarinaOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/7/2014Our waiter Alan was very nice and low-key. We enjoyed our meal very much.Special Features:
- Consistently goodSnaveVIPDined on 6/5/2014We eat at Bistro Aix quite a bit and we are never disappointed. There is something on the menu for everyone and the wine selections are quite good.Special Features:
- LovesFoodVIPDined on 6/4/2014Service was great being that the place was packed and buzzing. Food was outstanding - nothing complicated, just great ingredients and taste great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ask for a table in the atriumGoldfinchDined on 5/27/2014When we arrived at the restaurant we we're initially given a table in the front part of the restaurant which was noisy and a bit claustrophobic. My husband wanted to leave but I convinced him to stay and give it a try. When he went to use the restroom he saw that there was a lovely airy atrium room at the back which was quiet and not very busy so the staff relocated us there. Everything after that was perfect. The service was friendly, efficient and knowledgable. The menu is interesting and both our choices were faultless and well presented. Great choice of wines by the glass too. If I lived in San Francisco I would make this a regular haunt. But I would make sure to ask for a table in the atrium.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super Yummy!Marina6twDined on 5/27/2014Wonderful service and the entree recommendations by our waitress were great. I was told the Crispy Roasted Sonoma Chicken Breast was a great dish. I don't usually order chicken when I go to a restaurant but I was SO glad I did. The skin of the chicken was amazing; the meat moist and juicy. The potatoes melted in your mouth with the right amount of crispness and bursting with flavor. They make there own bread and pasta on site. Two of the dishes we had were garnished with just the perfect amount of fresh tarragon. The wine list is wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/24/2014First time back in a while - the remodel is a great change in the seating comfort. The food is still very good - the wine list has gotten better - great experience.Special Features:
- A real neighborhood GemLiveToEatVIPDined on 5/24/2014The menu is appealing, the food is delicious and nicely presented, the price is right, the service is good and the patio is very pleasant. What else can you ask for? No wondr it's packed. This is a real plus for the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Great good!ChrisPDined on 5/23/2014Noisy but our party of four totally enjoyed ourselves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marina highlightSueRDined on 5/22/2014This is a busy restaurant, pleased we had made a reservation. Food delicious and interesting, service efficient and friendly, good choice of wines. Would certainly recommend and return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Yorkers loved it!UnclbarDined on 5/17/2014We took friends from NY there Saturday night, and they just loved it! It was their fourth dinner out in four nights, and they thought it was easily the best one. I really enjoy the freshly baked bread, the smoked salmon appetizer, the lamb and the desserts. It was a tad noisy for the catch up chat we were having, but that's ok. The server was great as well. I know this sounds like a house ad, but it's not. We probably go to Bistro Aix more often than anywhere else in the City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our go to resturantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/9/2014Whenever we are in San Francisco we try to get to Bistro Aix. We always ask for Alfred. He is so friendly, funny and cares about his customers. Food and wine are always spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciousCgorhamDined on 5/6/2014We were meeting a friend we hadn't seen in a long time. The Cafe was perfect. Acoustics allowed us to have lively conversation through the evening. The salads star and baby beet, were perfect openers. The ladies I was with split the halibut dinner and raved aout it saying it was the mostdelicious preparation of Halibut ever. The chocoalte cloud cake was scrumptious and then our server brought us out a creme brulee which was out of this world. Not one to repeat even restaurants we like but we could definitely return to Cafe Aix!Special Features:
- Something has changedlambeeDined on 5/3/2014I have not been here in a long time. I thought the food was still very good, but something has changed. The overall feel of the restaurant is different and the food seems a little "less french" than it used to be. The restaurant seems to be a more "kid friendly" place rather than adult oriented. Bread is spectacular. They say they make their own. Wines are good too.Special Features:
- The following 463 reviews are from the Bistro Aix - SF reviews archive.
- absolutely delicious food!Denise461Dined on 4/8/2014absolutely delicious food! A bit loud, very tiny, but fun. We were seated by the front door and window, and were very glad to have that seat.Special Features:
- ExcellentNJBOVIPDined on 4/4/2014I come here when I travel to San Fran. The restaurant is quite cozy and the atrium in the back is very cool. The menu is excellent and provides options for anyone. Everything is delicious every time. The wine list is one of the best anywhere. The prices are actually FAIR...which is a nice change to some of the other restaurants of this caliber.Special Features:
- There was a good selectionOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/29/2014There was a good selection of items on the menu without being overwhelming. The service was great. Definitely better atmosphere on the in-door patio area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and service,OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/29/2014Excellent food and service, fairly priced. Bistro Aix is a beautiful restaurant - most especially the large back room with the tree in the center, open to a very large skylight. The photographs everywhere are also wonderful. However, when the room got full around 6:30, things became really noisy - my dining partner and I could no longer converse. They will pour half-glasses of wine, which is a real plus when you're having multiple courses.Special Features: