7 North 3rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bistro7restaurant.com/
- Phone: (215) 931-1560
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael H. O'Halloran
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access
A word from Bistro 7
Bistro 7 is an elegant, food-first American BYO bistro located in the heart of Philadelphia’s historic Old City section. Chef/Owner Michael O’Halloran relies on a network of local, organic farmers for the pristine ingredients that form the basis for his eclectic American bistro dishes, and the ever changing menu reflects the best that the season has to offer. The understated, minimalist décor features white linen tablecloths, filigreed heirloom flatware and graceful stemware, and the open kitchen provides an intimate glimpse of the chefs at work. Come see why critics have called Bistro 7 the "Jackie O. of the Philadelphia BYOB scene"Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bistro 7 reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (60)neighborhood gem (47)special occasion (24)romantic (21)good for groups (6)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)great for lunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Excellent mealronaVIPDined on 11/15/2014This is a small BYOB Bistro which we found by accident and thoroughly enjoyed. The food was delicious - tasty and unusual. I had a lovely duck breast and my husband a pork shoulder dish, both outstanding. The atmosphere was friendly, family style, small open kitchen. We are not in Philly often, but this is the restaurant I would go back to the next time we are there.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply delightfulNYCFoodieDined on 11/13/2014Small menu but every dish is a pure delight. The menu is seasonal and the chef very talented. Oysters with lychee brilliant, crispy salad fantastic, chicken perfectly done with a crispy outside, salmon with white bean to die for, and gnocchi was rich but delightful. Deserts certainly did not disappointed. It BYOB but there is a wine store 2 blocks away. Will come back for more next time I am Philadelphia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Theatre DinnerregularVIPDined on 11/13/2014Friendly personnel , good to excellent food , overall experience didn't match the Fork or Panorama two of its local competitors. Chicken entrée - now why would anyone order chicken at a restaurant - was superb !! As was the crespelle [sp] pasta dish and the chocolate malt dessert. As a lover of all things 'lentil' their preparation was very good but too large of a portion to start a meal. Actually we thought that the servings in general were larger than we would have expected at a restaurant of this type. Facility itself was small but not necessarily intimate and I thought its size made it difficult for the serving staff to get around at times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On my best bistro list.JustaguyDined on 11/12/2014I had the five spice duck and it was good although it came to the table a little cool. It is hard to find duck and you certainly can't purchase it yourself. Although the duck didn't have a region attached to it as it can in France I would recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealTederfDined on 11/8/2014We love Bistro 7. They did away with the table cloths and made it a bit more "casual" looking. But same great service and food. Everything is worth trying. It is BYO - and very worthy of your best wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RapsodyDined on 11/1/2014Delicious and creative plates. A true French Bistro unlike any other restaurant in the Phila region. Outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notchOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/25/2014Gnocci, beet terrine, duck breast and skate were all excellent. Flavorful dishes with perfect accompaniments.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KMPicksKMPicksVIPDined on 10/24/2014Amazing! We got the tasting menu which was 10 courses of wonderful. Make sure to bring wine though - it is BYOB. If you opt for the tasting be ready to sit back and enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best BYOB 2014JulnamaxDined on 10/24/2014Exquisite! Creative, varied, well priced menu. Fastidious attention to detail. Wonderfully attentive wait staff. Cannot wait to return. Kudos to the very talented Chef. Amazing!Special Features:
- Combines finess and great tasteMac68Dined on 10/22/2014Never imagined a small place like this making such delicious and exquisite cuisine. Don't judge the book by its cover!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemfirsttimephillyresidentDined on 10/18/2014Great restaurant with a really nice menu. Best part is that is BYOB. Definitely allows you to pair the wine of your choosing with the menu they post online. The owner, Michael, is a great guy as well. Had a wonderful conversation with him about the food, and history of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JimmyDined on 10/16/2014The food was delicious and attractively presented. The restaurant deserves return visits so we can try all the menu offerings.Special Features:
- frankophileDined on 10/15/2014Reservation was filled. We were the only diners on a rainy Tuesday night. The food and the portions were all great. Service was great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhillyratDined on 10/10/2014Table was ready as we entered. Staff was very nice, waiter was excellent. Chef assisted one of our guests with items that met her dietary restrictions. Very accommodating! Wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Always a Treat!bandpsadventuresVIPDined on 10/4/2014This restaurant never disappoints. Chef Michael and his staff create dishes that are sure to please anyone who loves good food. The fruit de mer appetizer was brilliant. Shrimp, oysters, lobster, tuna tartare and caviar creatively designed and presented in a multi-tiered dish set the stage for a great beginning to a fabulous dining experience.Special Features:
- BoboVIPDined on 10/2/2014Continues to serve the best meals in the area with an innovative menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited food selection and servicemeryleVIPDined on 10/2/2014While the dishes were tasty, the menu was limited. They had a huge raw bar platter as an appetizer for multiple people at a substantial price that would,have been ok if four of us wanted to share it. I asked if I could get just some of the oysters as an appetizer and was told I had to order the whole platter, which included some fish that I am allergic to. The service was poor. I sent my knife off with my salad and it was never replaced. Finally, we took a knife from an adjacent table. This is one example of lax service the entire evening. A disappointment overall.
- Fabulous food, poor serviceJamonera1Dined on 10/2/2014We loved every morsel of the food here, including the beet terrine, crunchy salad, Parisian-style gnocchi, Lancaster County chicken, and pot de creme. However, the experience was marred by very poor service. Clearly they were understaffed, but it's unusual to be ignored for such long periods of time, with no apology.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attention to diner paramontJodyDined on 9/27/2014The service was just perfect with enough time between courses but not too much. We split the gnocci, duck and apple crisp for desert - all excellent along with the very nice people at the next table whom we chatted with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Again, lovely.DeluxDined on 9/20/2014Many choices of scrumptious small, main, & dessert plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding meal!JL4EVADined on 9/19/2014Bistro 7 is amazing !! Literally everything we had was incredible. I can't wait to go back. Try the gnocchi; it was fabulous. It's BYO so make sure to bring a bottle of your favorite wine. The noise level gets a bit high but, overall, it wasn't bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great findhappydinerDined on 9/19/2014we took our College age daughter here last weekend during Restaurant week, and were incredibly impressed with our meals. The gnocchi was extraordinary, and the chicken dish was superb. The decor was not elaborate, but the mood/ambiance was relaxed and welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LobsterVIPDined on 9/19/2014One of our favorites!!!!!! Never disappoints! Creative comfort food.Special Features:
- mediocremining4goldVIPDined on 9/14/2014It was restaurant week; don't know how that impacted, but there are no tablecloths as in the review. The menu was okay, not great, and so was the food. It was a three course prix fixe affair, with a choice of rice pudding or chocolate malted pudding. I opted for a salad instead of dessert. The street appears to be undergoing rehab, but is not attractive. The three of us agreed we would not return.
- Gnocchi!DisplacedWesternerVIPDined on 9/13/2014I am not a gnocchi fan but try it about every six months when I see it on a menu...just in case I was missing out on something. I finally found one that I liked! Their gnocchi is really something special. Next time I go back, I will order that as the entree instead of the app!
- Missing ouiOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014This restaurant was billed as contemporary French . Are short ribs. Mashed potatoes and beet salad French?I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Gemjd5339Dined on 9/12/2014During Restaurant week, I wanted to find a small byob that had a diverse menu. Having never been to Bistro 7 or even knowing its whereabouts, I decided to make a reservation based on its location in Olde City that worked best for my dinner guest. The food was very classic but had a "Bistro 7" added twist. The variety of food was nice and made it easy to choose something different, that way we could sample the different flavors each of our dishes had to offer. If I did not make a reservation for this place, I would have not been able to have dinner and I would have never known where this beautiful hidden gem was. I look forward to eating at this establishment again in the future.Special Features:
- Tasty But NoisyJerseyeaterDined on 9/12/2014I chose this restaurant for its good reviews. We went during Restaurant Week, so we had fixed menu choices. The food was very tasty and rich. The only disappointments were that the goat cheese didn't add anything to the beets, and there was very little of the cheese; from the description of the dessert we expected something more substantial than a few tablespoons of mousse. Liver pate appetizer and beef entrees were very good. The worst part was the noise level. I had to speak very loudly for my husband to hear me (and I'm the one who has a hearing problem). We looked at the other entrees being served around us, and everything looked very appetizing.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/11/2014The salmon with lentils was well prepared and very tasty. Beet salad was also very good. As we dined later in the evening, they were very accommodating to allow us to leisurely enjoy our wine. Delightful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Birthday DinnerHungryTravelersVIPDined on 9/11/2014We live in the neighborhood so Bistro 7 was a very good choice for a birthday dinner, despite Restaurant Week, which can make favorite places seem uninviting. We enjoyed the restaurant week menu - at least two choices in each of 3 categories, and everything we tasted was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Old City FindDennisDined on 9/7/2014My family ate at this Modern French establishment during Restaurant week. Beet salad was very good and really enjoyed the Lancaster Country Chicken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good food. BYO doesn't hurtruenomrueDined on 9/6/2014I really enjoyed my food and so did my friend and sister. We had the duck, the chicken, the steak, the oysters, and the beet terrine, all of which were delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific BYOB in Old CityLoveCenterCityDiningVIPDined on 9/4/2014My wife and I spent a couple of days in town celebrating our anniversary (and escaping the demolition for a home renovation project) and had dinner at this terrific little BYOB in Old City near our hotel. Everything was terrific. The food was extraordinary. The menu is small but very creative and diverse. I had the Parisian style gnocci, my wife had the beet terrine, and we both chose a superb steak, done perfectly. We loved it all! And the chocolate pot de crème (we shared but I ate most of it!) was sublime. The pacing was perfect, service pleasant and atttentive but not overbearing, and the presentation every bit as good as the food. I would come back for any special occasion - or just for a fabulous meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it.betseyVIPDined on 8/9/2014Four people, 3 courses, no one ordered the same thing so 12 dishes. Each dish was better than the next. Noise level was a bit loud given the size of the small space. Service was attentive but not overbearing. If you like BYOs, this is a winner.Special Features:
- I love Bistro 7!LunchEaterVIPDined on 8/8/2014I'm an attorney. I have taken potential clients to Bistro 7, people who have eaten at very posh restaurants, and the food impressed them! Enjoy the tasting menu. It is a special treat I recommend, but all the food is divine. Michael (the chef) is a culinary genius! Don't miss ordering his oysters!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite for many years!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/29/2014I discovered Bistro 7 about 10 years ago. It has been my favorite restaurant since. The food is simply out of this world and there is never disappointment for anyone at the table - a true dining experience.
- You Should Try This RestaurantMrAttentionToDetailDined on 7/26/2014The outside of the building is quite frankly, unattractive. However, once inside, while the decor is minimalist, the food is great. Everything we had was very good, and the desserts, were absolutely fantastic. The bread is baked daily on the premises and even the salads were exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & BYOBGreenLeaf24Dined on 7/25/2014Visited Bistro 7 during Philly Restaurant Week and thoroughly enjoyed our meal. Food ranks with some of the best we've had - the Parisian Gnocchi were especially light and delicious. Small and intimate setting for dinner. Loved the fact that it's a BYOB. Really enjoyed our night at Bistro 7.Special Features:
- The following 722 reviews are from the Bistro 7 reviews archive.
- A pure pleasure.EaterDined on 7/24/2014We were the first diners in that evening at 6:00; it was empty. By 6:30 it was completely full, but not louder - amazing for such a small place. It was Restaurant Week, so the selections were fixed. The green gazpacho was nice, but eclipsed by the stunningly wonderful gnocchi - after which, the cannelloni was merely lovely, and the branzino was also fine. Desserts and coffee all superb. But best was the lovely service, friendly, easy, and so smooth. What a good time. We'll be back.Special Features:
- GourmetGourmetDined on 7/18/2014It was a great evening. Was a celebration for our daughter who had done really well in her Junior year at school. Food was great, service excellent and we had a great time. Would have no problem recommending it to friends/family.Special Features: