7 North 3rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bistro7restaurant.com/
- Phone: 2159311560x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael H. O'Halloran
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access
A word from Bistro 7
Bistro 7 is an elegant, food-first American BYO bistro located in the heart of Philadelphia’s historic Old City section. Chef/Owner Michael O’Halloran relies on a network of local, organic farmers for the pristine ingredients that form the basis for his eclectic American bistro dishes, and the ever changing menu reflects the best that the season has to offer. The understated, minimalist décor features white linen tablecloths, filigreed heirloom flatware and graceful stemware, and the open kitchen provides an intimate glimpse of the chefs at work. Come see why critics have called Bistro 7 the "Jackie O. of the Philadelphia BYOB scene"Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Bistro 7 - Best Restaurants in Old City ›
Bistro 7 reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (55)neighborhood gem (42)special occasion (18)romantic (15)good for groups (7)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)hot spot (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Attention to diner paramontOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014The service was just perfect with enough time between courses but not too much. We split the gnocci, duck and apple crisp for desert - all excellent along with the very nice people at the next table whom we chatted with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Again, lovely.DeluxDined on 9/20/2014Many choices of scrumptious small, main, & dessert plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding meal!JL4EVADined on 9/19/2014Bistro 7 is amazing !! Literally everything we had was incredible. I can't wait to go back. Try the gnocchi; it was fabulous. It's BYO so make sure to bring a bottle of your favorite wine. The noise level gets a bit high but, overall, it wasn't bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great findhappydinerDined on 9/19/2014we took our College age daughter here last weekend during Restaurant week, and were incredibly impressed with our meals. The gnocchi was extraordinary, and the chicken dish was superb. The decor was not elaborate, but the mood/ambiance was relaxed and welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LobsterVIPDined on 9/19/2014One of our favorites!!!!!! Never disappoints! Creative comfort food.Special Features:
- mediocremining4goldVIPDined on 9/14/2014It was restaurant week; don't know how that impacted, but there are no tablecloths as in the review. The menu was okay, not great, and so was the food. It was a three course prix fixe affair, with a choice of rice pudding or chocolate malted pudding. I opted for a salad instead of dessert. The street appears to be undergoing rehab, but is not attractive. The three of us agreed we would not return.
- Gnocchi!DisplacedWesternerVIPDined on 9/13/2014I am not a gnocchi fan but try it about every six months when I see it on a menu...just in case I was missing out on something. I finally found one that I liked! Their gnocchi is really something special. Next time I go back, I will order that as the entree instead of the app!
- Missing ouiOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014This restaurant was billed as contemporary French . Are short ribs. Mashed potatoes and beet salad French?I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty But NoisyJerseyeaterDined on 9/12/2014I chose this restaurant for its good reviews. We went during Restaurant Week, so we had fixed menu choices. The food was very tasty and rich. The only disappointments were that the goat cheese didn't add anything to the beets, and there was very little of the cheese; from the description of the dessert we expected something more substantial than a few tablespoons of mousse. Liver pate appetizer and beef entrees were very good. The worst part was the noise level. I had to speak very loudly for my husband to hear me (and I'm the one who has a hearing problem). We looked at the other entrees being served around us, and everything looked very appetizing.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/11/2014The salmon with lentils was well prepared and very tasty. Beet salad was also very good. As we dined later in the evening, they were very accommodating to allow us to leisurely enjoy our wine. Delightful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Birthday DinnerHungryTravelersVIPDined on 9/11/2014We live in the neighborhood so Bistro 7 was a very good choice for a birthday dinner, despite Restaurant Week, which can make favorite places seem uninviting. We enjoyed the restaurant week menu - at least two choices in each of 3 categories, and everything we tasted was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Old City FindDennisDined on 9/7/2014My family ate at this Modern French establishment during Restaurant week. Beet salad was very good and really enjoyed the Lancaster Country Chicken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good food. BYO doesn't hurtruenomrueDined on 9/6/2014I really enjoyed my food and so did my friend and sister. We had the duck, the chicken, the steak, the oysters, and the beet terrine, all of which were delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific BYOB in Old CityLoveCenterCityDiningVIPDined on 9/4/2014My wife and I spent a couple of days in town celebrating our anniversary (and escaping the demolition for a home renovation project) and had dinner at this terrific little BYOB in Old City near our hotel. Everything was terrific. The food was extraordinary. The menu is small but very creative and diverse. I had the Parisian style gnocci, my wife had the beet terrine, and we both chose a superb steak, done perfectly. We loved it all! And the chocolate pot de crème (we shared but I ate most of it!) was sublime. The pacing was perfect, service pleasant and atttentive but not overbearing, and the presentation every bit as good as the food. I would come back for any special occasion - or just for a fabulous meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it.betseyVIPDined on 8/9/2014Four people, 3 courses, no one ordered the same thing so 12 dishes. Each dish was better than the next. Noise level was a bit loud given the size of the small space. Service was attentive but not overbearing. If you like BYOs, this is a winner.Special Features:
- I love Bistro 7!LunchEaterVIPDined on 8/8/2014I'm an attorney. I have taken potential clients to Bistro 7, people who have eaten at very posh restaurants, and the food impressed them! Enjoy the tasting menu. It is a special treat I recommend, but all the food is divine. Michael (the chef) is a culinary genius! Don't miss ordering his oysters!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite for many years!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/29/2014I discovered Bistro 7 about 10 years ago. It has been my favorite restaurant since. The food is simply out of this world and there is never disappointment for anyone at the table - a true dining experience.
- You Should Try This RestaurantMrAttentionToDetailDined on 7/26/2014The outside of the building is quite frankly, unattractive. However, once inside, while the decor is minimalist, the food is great. Everything we had was very good, and the desserts, were absolutely fantastic. The bread is baked daily on the premises and even the salads were exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & BYOBGreenLeaf24Dined on 7/25/2014Visited Bistro 7 during Philly Restaurant Week and thoroughly enjoyed our meal. Food ranks with some of the best we've had - the Parisian Gnocchi were especially light and delicious. Small and intimate setting for dinner. Loved the fact that it's a BYOB. Really enjoyed our night at Bistro 7.Special Features:
- A pure pleasure.EaterDined on 7/24/2014We were the first diners in that evening at 6:00; it was empty. By 6:30 it was completely full, but not louder - amazing for such a small place. It was Restaurant Week, so the selections were fixed. The green gazpacho was nice, but eclipsed by the stunningly wonderful gnocchi - after which, the cannelloni was merely lovely, and the branzino was also fine. Desserts and coffee all superb. But best was the lovely service, friendly, easy, and so smooth. What a good time. We'll be back.Special Features:
- GourmetGourmetDined on 7/18/2014It was a great evening. Was a celebration for our daughter who had done really well in her Junior year at school. Food was great, service excellent and we had a great time. Would have no problem recommending it to friends/family.Special Features:
- Always excellentDonVDined on 7/16/2014Been to Bistro 7 many times, always consistent, always excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem!!mbdinerDined on 7/11/2014This little place was a treasure - the food was fabulous - try the gnocchi Parisienne (to die for) or the scallops (perfectly cooked) or the fruit crisp (heavenly). We were all delighted with our food choices. I can't understand why there isn't a line out the door for this place!! Move to New York or LA (please) where they will appreciate your level of cooking!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- joanmDined on 7/1/2014we had a great meal. Dinner was inventive and delicious. Waitress friendly and efficientSpecial Features:
- Quiet gemStriderDined on 6/26/2014The food was excellent. We started with a gorgeous gaspacho, then had an Asian inspired duck breast. We finished with peach and berry cobbler. The only puzzle was why there were so few diners on a Thursday evening. Open Table indicated reservations were taken for several time slots while we were there, however there were many empty tables. Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good for byob fans2PhillybyobfansDined on 6/21/2014Came here because it seemed intimate, with creative french bistro food and was a byob establishment. Decor is very plain so the focus in on the food and whatever wine one wants to bring. A real bonus and draw is that there is no corkage fee and the staff seems happy that patrons are bringing good wine to match the food. Cost was fair and reasonable for the quality and presentation. My oyster appetizer was truly phenomenal and I hope to see that again. It was fun to "snoop in" and observe what wines others were bringing to their tables. Everything from El-cheapo to high priced gems. I had saved two special occasion wines just for such a moment (anniversary) and was glad to have them here. I will return to this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dinnerDanDVIPDined on 6/21/2014Once again, Bistro 7 was the place for a great dinner. Food and service are outstanding. Only 2 criticisms- food is very rich and menu could be a bit larger.Special Features:
- Reliably goodTonyBVIPDined on 6/21/2014This is a true small bistro, a BYOB with a small but well chosen menu to suit almost all tastes. The food preparation is excellent and the service is prompt which is important for someone who goes there for a pre-theatre meal as I do. The prices are well chosen for the level of the cuisine. I will certainly go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious ExperienceSkiMamma1Dined on 6/17/2014This was our second time dining at Bistro 7, and although the main chef was not present on this evening, it is clear that he has taught his sous chefs well. The food was absolutely excellent and perfectly prepared from the highest quality ingredients. We were somewhat pressed for time due to a theatre reservation, and our food arrived in a most timely fashion, allowing us to savor every morsel without feeling rushed. We will return to Bistro 7.Special Features:
- Food is excellent, service rushedCosd47VIPDined on 6/7/2014This was our second time at Bistro Seven. We returned because the food is quite good and beautifully presented. My only complaint is that I felt very rushed. We ordered two small plates to split before the entrée and rather than bringing them one at a time both were brought together. The entrees quickly followed as did dessert and we were in and out in just over an hour. Not quite the dining experience I wanted. For a restaurant of this caliber I would expect a more paced serving.Special Features:
- Very Tasty, Interesting Food!AbravadoDined on 6/6/2014This little BYOB is a very pleasant spot to enjoy an interesting, competently prepared dinner. Menu variety is very good, and imagination is used. For example, the green gazpacho with the light red tomato sorbet and sprinkled buttermilk ice was as pleasing to look at, as it was to taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really creative food!PhilatwoDined on 6/6/2014We have dined at Bistro 7 on multiple occasions. The storefront restaurant has a simple decor but the food and service are outstanding. The food is creative and beautifully prepared and presented. There is a multicourse tasting menu, which is amazing. The staff is welcoming and attentive. It is a BYOB, which is another bonus, although the food prices are very fair considering the outstanding quality. We look forward to returning to Bistro 7.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 709 reviews are from the Bistro 7 reviews archive.
- DeliciousMargaretDined on 5/23/2014A fabulous meal in a serene, intimate setting. We appreciate Michael O'Halloran's inspired updates to the meal and the overall high caliber of deliciousness. We so enjoyed our meal! Beautiful plates of creative though not kooky food. Thank you!Special Features:
- All about the foodterrinegal33Dined on 5/22/2014Delicious, beautifully presented, refined cuisine. Major restaurant in a spare store front location. Emphasis is on food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, but a bit priceyBasilDined on 4/30/2014Modest amounts for the price. $26 for a half chicken, and $10 for small desserts. The preps are very good, so it's a judgement call.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem In PhillyLPRothmanDined on 4/26/2014We were lucky to find Bistro 7 on a recent trip to Philadelphia. This is a small place in a vibrant neighborhood that has remarkably good food. We started with a carrot salad that was so fresh it verged on the insolent, and a dish of gnocchi with maitaki mushrooms that was shockingly good. We then had the duck, a heavenly sliced maigret served over a risotto with duck confit mixed in. The lamb loin was similarly sliced, perfectly cooked, and served with a potato millefeuille and tart tomato relish that was a perfect complement. Desserts were equally fantastic. You must BYOB, with brings the cost of the dinner down to a very reasonable level overall. No charge for corkage here. Bravos all around.Special Features:
- The best oysters on a half shellXbarguyDined on 4/26/2014Even if you don't like raw oysters, the flavors are wonderful. You don't get much of the bad flavors, only the good. I'm not a big oyster fan, and thought these wereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb foodShellyDined on 4/26/2014I've visited this restaurant several times and the food has been consistently outstanding. It's always beautifully and subtly spiced, and the combination of food in each dish is always interesting and flavorful. The chef doesn't try to impress you with his creativity, he aims to please with beautifully cooked seasonal food...chicken, lamb, duck, etc. Two negatives: The decor is almost non-existent and the bread (baked fresh daily by the chef, is really awful. The waiters and waitresses are friendly and knowledgable but not over-bearing. Because the restaurant is small, the noise level escalates when it's crowded. When I want guests to be assured of a wonderful meal, this is where I take them...I've never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Fantastic for Foodie CelebrationCassINOVADined on 4/19/2014We celebrated my husband's birthday at Bistro 7, and couldn't have asked for a better experience. Although the menu was limited, all offerings were still available. Our group was large enough that we sampled and shared nearly every menu offering, and everything was fantastic. Fresh ingredients, well executed, and sometimes unexpected - although completely delightful - flavor blendings. My husband and his friends are foodies, many of whom have worked in the culinary field, and everybody left full and impressed. The oysters were beautifully garnished and left you wanting more, the gnocchi was light but satisfying and the malted chocolate pot de creme was our personal favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SBM1452Dined on 4/19/2014My husband and I just tried Bistro 7 for the first time and the food was delicious. Our server was kind and attentive, but we wish he had explained our meal and the other items on the menu to us. The food was the star and everything we ordered was fabulous. Gnocchi, escargot, duck and lamb...yum! I would go back and we live close to an hour away. There is no tasting menu on Saturday which was a bit of a bummer, but certainly not a problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.