5 Playstead Road
Medford, MA 02155Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bistro5.com/
- Phone: 7813957464
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Open some Sundays/Mondays for Holidays and Special Events. Call for more details.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Italian, French
- Executive Chef: Vittorio Ettore
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Bistro 5 caters a spectrum of events from casual cocktail parties to a formal sit down dinners. We provide innovative cuisine to please any palate using the freshest, local ingredients and professional service. For more information complete the form on the private dining page at www.bistro5.com or call to speak to our event coordinator.
- Private Party Facilities: At Bistro 5 our personal approach in service ensures we execute every detail of your event beyond your expectation. Bistro 5 has the heart and personality of a local favorite but also boasts the sophisticated Northern Italian fare found in a destination dining experience.
- Private Party Contact: Megan Cormier 7813957464
- Cross Street: High Street
- Public Transit: From North Station you can take the commuter rail on the Lowell Line outbound one (1) stop to West Medford. We are directly across Playstead Road from the train platform to the right of the gas station. It is approximately 11 minutes from North Station.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There are several places to park your vehicle. 1. On High Street in West Medford square 2. Along the commuter rail on Playstead Road, parking is available to the public after 5:00 pm 3. Municipal parking lot behind "Bargain Spot Liquor Store" in West Medford Square on the opposite side of High Street *Do not park behind the building in the tenant parking or in the gas station adjacent to Bistro 5. It is private property and you will be towed even when they are closed*
A word from Bistro 5
Bistro 5 is located in Medford, MA just minutes from downtown Boston. "A quintessential neighborhood spot" boasts The Boston Globe. Chef/Owner Vittorio Ettore and his team serve the finest Italian fare with French and Spanish influences while focusing on farm-fresh local ingredients. Our ever changing Chef's Tasting Menu keeps Boston's most distinguished palates returning time and again for seasonally fresh dishes that embody the warmth and richness of Chef Vittorio's own hospitality. Bistro 5 also offers an extensive wine list featuring unique wines at exceptional values. The Bistro's three dining rooms are richly appointed and can accommodate parties of up to 75 guests, making Bistro 5 the perfect venue for your next office party, family gathering, or special event.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Bistro 5 - Best Restaurants in Medford ›
Bistro 5 reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (69)fit for foodies (66)special occasion (49)romantic (34)notable wine list (24)good for groups (14)vibrant bar scene (11)hot spot (8)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- A welcoming placeTwiceDined on 10/22/2014We did not like the seating initially offered but the wait staff worked out a much better location and did so with a smile. A nice start to the evening. The menu had many interesting choices. The pate was smooth and tasty. The scallops were seated in a bed of risotto along with a mini pumpkin. Looked lovely but was just too much food.Special Features:
- Return visitpetercVIPDined on 10/18/2014We returned for dinner here for the first time in a couple of years and had an excellent meal that everyone enjoyed; the only downside was the waitress who had something of an attitude and did not seem to know what she was talking about, at least with regard to the cocktail menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalUmmmmGoodVIPDined on 10/18/2014Not sure why we have not returned to Bistro 5 since just after it opened, but it was our loss. The larger, redecorated restaurant is very attractive without being overdone. Subdued tones, interesting table setting, very relaxing yet unique. The food matched the surrounding. Everything from the fresh bread to the entrees were different and impressive. The service was friendly, caring, and not intrusive. One of the best meals each of us have had in a long time at a sensible price for the quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special Medford bistroBostonFoodieDined on 10/17/2014Inventive, tasty, and unique offerings without the Downtown Boston parking hassle. Appetizers are particularly interesting - a duck prosciutto with a creme caramel and toasted pear accompaniment was great. Expansive wine list for a small place. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seasonal take on Italian cuisineBostonDinerDined on 10/14/2014Delicious food experience at Bistro 5 coupled with good wine and service. Restaurant looks great after recent remodel. House-made ricotta with olive oil and lemon zest followed by fried green heirloom tomatoes with Bufala mozzarella. For entrees we enjoyed tagliatelle with rabbit and veal Milanese with potatoes and zucchini. Love that this restaurant is close to home!Special Features:
- fall feastfoodfriendDined on 10/10/2014We enjoyed the fall tasting menu which included venison which I had never had before. The oyster stew was divine and the fried green tomatoes crunchy and delicious. We split a creme brûlée to top it off. The dinner was special all around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time is a charmpizza5sagDined on 10/4/2014This is the second time my husband and I have been here and boy was it great ! Waitress and staff smiling, friendly, outgoing, and helpful. Food Fantastic. Excellent assistance with the wine choice. ( French Rose ) Appetizer so good ( warm chickpea with olive oil and foccacia ) OMG. Beet salad, with goat cheese and arugula. ( my favorites ) cozy seating . I had the salmon and he had the scallops . Perfect. Dessert was shared , creme brûlée. I could not have asked for a better night out at a restaurant. would certainly go back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out-frigging-standingcsmith0651Dined on 10/4/2014One of the best waiters I've ever had. Ask for Angus. Witty. Sarcastic. Knowledgeable. Intense. Foody. He made the dinning experience fun. The food made the experience delicious. Some of the best food I've ever had. Delicious. They allowed modifications because everything is made in-house. Loved it. I definitely plan on going back.Special Features:
- Never Disappoints!WhatShesHavingDined on 10/4/2014This was my fourth visit to Bistro 5, and it was very very good! Our server couldn't have been better, and the food was crazy good. We asked if we could have an entree as an appetizer, and they accommodated. Our server was Monica, and she was great at answering our questions and checked in on us often. I had the strip steak, and my husband had the scallops -- and both dishes were excellent! For dessert my husband had creme brulee (presentation at the place is amazing) and I had profiteroles. All in all, this was a fabulous meal! I highly recommend this Bistro; the chef is very talented and creative.Special Features:
- Always a pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/1/2014Specials are always outstanding. Never a bad meal or bad service.Special Features:
- Love this restaurant.LillismomDined on 9/30/2014From start to finish our dining experience was excellent. We had a few starters. Heirloom tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and beets. My main dish was the sea scallops with risotto. Our server told us the chef recommended they be cooked medium rare. I was hesitant but they were cooked to perfection. The risotto was creamy and oh so rich! Others at the table had scallops, salmon, tagliatelle, and chicken. Everyone enjoyed their dinner. The only complaint was that the chicken was not as seasoned as this person was accustomed to but the highly seasoned kale made up for it. The chicken was tender. We had profiteroles for dessert and it was a perfect end to a wonderful dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High end, Boston feel in the 'burbsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Loved it. Gone a few times and never disappointed.Special Features:
- Bistro 5 always improvingcjmdDined on 9/27/2014I've been going to Bistro 5 for years and a recent meal was our best ever. The classics are still on the menu and creative options (Heirloom tomato specials) were interesting and perfectly executed. The gnocchi is one of the best dishes available anywhere in Boston; order an app portion for the table. Our server suggested a desert special of corn gelato and while we were initially a little put off by the dehydrated this and deconstructed that it was absolutely delicious, fun to eat and a perfect portion to share. I'd like to see some more bottled beer options and I hope Tuesday $1 oyster specials at the bar continue!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GM1313Dined on 9/27/2014This was our first visit to Bistro5. We had been told that it was a special restaurant. The recommendation was totally correct. Chef Vittorio (owner) stopped by our table and asked about the food and the service. We found him to be a very friendly person who sincerely was interested in our opinion. We will return to Bistro5 with friends. We definitely recommend Bistro 5 to anyone who appreciate good Italian food in a clean environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A study in contradictionsstarlingtonVIPDined on 9/19/2014The food was absolutely wonderful. Every thing on our plates was amazing - the piattini, the starters and main courses and dessert. But, we were seated between the noisy bar with lots of flannel-clad patrons and the bathroom at a cramped table despite having a reservation and the restaurant not being totally full. Our first few orders were brought out basically on top of each other so that our little tiny table was overflowing uncomfortably with plates, glasses, etc. They did a fabulous job recovering from bringing my husband the wrong plate (we now have full (but wrong) meal in a to-go box in our frig). I was also a bit taken aback to look over and see people sniffing their food and using their soup spoons to scoop up mashed potatoes.Special Features:
- Bistro 5Bistro5thebestDined on 9/17/2014This was our second visit. I didn't think they could be better than the first time...but they were. Probably the best meal I've had in a decade, and the wine pairings were perfect. Waiter (Tony) was spectacular. Can't wait to go again. I've only seen this kind of style and attention to detail on the West Coast. Thank the Chef/Owner for us. His talents are greatly appreciatedSpecial Features:
- Heirloom Tomato BlissPeg319ethaVIPDined on 9/11/2014This is the second special heirloom tomato occasion we have attended. This is a special treat especially the Rohan duck with a tomato cream brûlée. Bravo Chef Ettore!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for conversationboboDined on 9/2/2014Excellent atmosphere with relatively low noise level. Food very good to though the menu limited. Knowledgeable service staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible MealOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014Four of us shared 4 different appetizers. The fois grais crème brule with duck prociutto was the most incredible. I had wished I had it all to myself! Carne salada (carpaccio) was also fabulous. The golden beet salad a great hit as well. Dinner choices were veal, rabbit, and scallops and were all fabulous. I can't say enough about our waiter. He was incredibly helpful, funny, and there when we needed him. An outstanding experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/26/2014Scallops were a tad saltier than expected. Overall experience was great.Special Features:
- Mixed reviewNot2fussyDined on 8/23/2014My entree was very good but my spouse was disappointed. Dessert and appetizers were good to very good. Accomodations were very good, and the service was excellent. I really wanted to like this place. In sum, a great destination for the neighborhood but not really a standout overall.Special Features:
- Very Good... not greatsgnourishDined on 8/21/2014Service was informative and attentive. Veal Milanese had two big pieces of high quality cutlets. One cooked well. The other overcooked. Not enough sauce or potato underneath. Gnocchi was good yet didn't stand out. Calamari just average.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Medford GemMayfstroDined on 8/19/2014Great for an evening out. You never feel rushed and there is a nice atmosphere. Great variety of items on the menu, but it could rotate a bit more for regular customers. The beets for an app and rabbit for an entree are awesome picks to start with.Special Features:
- Lost a Step?arlingtondinerDined on 8/19/2014Bistro 5 has been one of our favorite restaurants for a couple of years. Our most recent experience was a bit of a disappointment. Perhaps because it was restaurant week, we waited 45 minutes between the appetizers and the mains. That was a really uncomfortable wait. The food was quite good - with the exception of a very bitter element in the tagliatelle, but wasn't quite up to snuff. The bill for four, including a couple of glasses of wine each rounded out at $300. I'm putting this down to being very busy -- so we will be back for another try soon - but I'm worried that they've lost a step somehow.
- just great .KennardDined on 8/15/2014We were first timers. Quick to seat, great choices on the menu, offered to move us since a group was getting a little rowdy in the other room. Went above and beyond to make us feel comfortable and part of the neighborhood crowd. Food was great and has been consistent to round two. Definitely would recommend if your in the general area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dry shortcakeJamesDinerDined on 8/14/2014The entrees were very good, veal and steak strips. The disappointment was the dessert - Mixed berry grilled shortcake. My idea of a mixed berry shortcake is a reduced fresh berry sauce (sweetened or unsweetened) poured over shortcake. The shortcake was dry but would have been fine if berries wand sauce were soaked into the shortcake, not totally soaked. The whipped cream was awesome. It didn't meet my expectations.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/8/2014My wife ordered the scallop dish with the scallops to be cooked thru when she received them they were burnt and looked like they were in cut in half not very happy and paid full price for the meal. We also wanted one of your specials on the appetizer and you were out of it.Special Features:
- Great upscale ItalianCraigVIPDined on 8/2/2014With one night in Boston and thousands of choices where to go. Narrowing it down to Italian reduces the choices by about two... We picked Bistro 5 and are glad we went. Our server, Nr 8, was a hoot but knew every dish in great detail. He was ever so accommodating. We had calamari which was served over red peppers with just the right heat. Our second course of gnocchi with forrest mushrooms and truffle was deep and satisfying. The veal Milanese just makes me want to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner at b5OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Always a treat - roasted quail tops, sea scallops perfect, carne salada a revelation with onion jam and scattered cheese, best was a sort of peach cobbler with corn gelato (unusual but tasty), blueberry sauce, and on, each bite a joy.Special Features:
- OutstandingScottyBDined on 7/25/2014We had one of the best dinners out in a long time. The food was truly outstanding from the beet first course to our main courses. We were given some wonderful bread with a chip pea spread as a starter, Not big eaters we were able to order half size on the pasta and one of the main dishes. We really like that. Our waiter Tony could not have been more accommodating. We were so impressed we plan to celebrate our anniversary there this fall. As we told the staff when we left, Bistro 5 is our new top restaurant, Parking can be a problem so going early helps in that there is a parking lot half a block away.Special Features:
- wait staff was very slowTapper5678VIPDined on 7/24/201420 minutes for the waitress to come to the table, another 10 minutes to take our drink order, another 20 minutes to bring our drinks, after placing our order another 30 mnutes to get our food. Food was passable but nothing spectacular.
- Consistently greatPCW1Dined on 7/18/2014Went to Bistro 5 for the first time in a while and am sorry I haven't gone more often. It was outstanding! The calamari was its usual awesome and the scollaps entree was fabulous -- a nice size and absolutely perfectly cooked. Our waiter Tony was very helpful too. Bistro 5 has been a sure thing for a long time. It was great to experience it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/15/2014The food was excellent. We both had salads green & beet which were delicious. I had the branzino and the menu does not misrepresent it. It did indeed come "whole" head, eyes etc. you name it. It was delicious but required careful dissection! my partner had the scallops which were perfectly cooked and flavourful. The creme brulee was amazing. Our server was attentive without being over bearing. We would definitely return, bar seemed to be hopping. Only down side was the noise at 8 pm we found ourselves shouting to be heard, so if you want a quiet conversation over a delicious dinner go early!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointed.JimmieTimmyVIPDined on 7/9/2014We made our reservation through Open Tabe and mentioned that we were celebrating a Birthday. This was never acknowledged. We also had to twice ask our server for the bread and white bean spread which come sauromatically. At these prices, these little things are quite disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1208 reviews are from the Bistro 5 reviews archive.
- foodjoysDined on 6/24/2014loved the house cured duck prosciutto as well as carne salada and rohan duck. Tony provided us with excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as always!ShannonBVIPDined on 6/20/2014I never get to go here enough, but when I do it always delivers! And then I am just dying to go back! It is a wonderful place where you always feel comfortable. They food is phenomenal. Not too fussy, but exciting and overall just yummy good! Whenever I am asked for a recommendation - this is where I send people, and no one has ever been disappointed!Special Features:
- Terrific experienceOldSpiceDined on 6/19/2014After numerous visits to this fine restaurant, it never fails to deliver on all fronts. The staff aims to please and is very attentive , warm and welcoming. Service with a smile!! The culinary artistry never disappoints and is always first class. This is why we always come back.Special Features:
- Fabulous as UsualfoodforyouDined on 6/18/2014Vittorio's strawberry festival tasting menu was delicious. I suggest adding the wine pairing. The remodel has created a larger bar area and looks terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Father's Day celebrationDeniseDined on 6/14/2014First time here - wish we had come sooner! Ambience lovely, understated and soothing. Server was excellent but we waited a bit longer than we should have between courses - this I think was due to a large party sitting near us. Focaccia and chickpea spread delicious. Warm beet salad and duck pasta first courses were perfect. Veal Milanese, scallops, and gnocchi with hen of the woods mushrooms perfect too. My son was swooning over the cheese plate. All dishes artfully prepared and presented. Would like to see a second vegetarian option in the entrees. Will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy we went back againMcGoffDined on 6/7/2014The recent renovation is quite nice with the addition of much needed space and a beautiful bar. Our dinner was fabulouse as was the service. We will be back again soon.Special Features: