5 Playstead Road
Medford, MA 02155Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bistro5.com/
- Phone: 7813957464
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Open some Sundays/Mondays for Holidays and Special Events. Call for more details.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Italian, French
- Executive Chef: Vittorio Ettore
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Bistro 5 caters a spectrum of events from casual cocktail parties to a formal sit down dinners. We provide innovative cuisine to please any palate using the freshest, local ingredients and professional service. For more information complete the form on the private dining page at www.bistro5.com or call to speak to our event coordinator.
- Private Party Facilities: At Bistro 5 our personal approach in service ensures we execute every detail of your event beyond your expectation. Bistro 5 has the heart and personality of a local favorite but also boasts the sophisticated Northern Italian fare found in a destination dining experience.
- Private Party Contact: Megan Cormier 7813957464
- Cross Street: High Street
- Public Transit: From North Station you can take the commuter rail on the Lowell Line outbound one (1) stop to West Medford. We are directly across Playstead Road from the train platform to the right of the gas station. It is approximately 11 minutes from North Station.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There are several places to park your vehicle. 1. On High Street in West Medford square 2. Along the commuter rail on Playstead Road, parking is available to the public after 5:00 pm 3. Municipal parking lot behind "Bargain Spot Liquor Store" in West Medford Square on the opposite side of High Street *Do not park behind the building in the tenant parking or in the gas station adjacent to Bistro 5. It is private property and you will be towed even when they are closed*
A word from Bistro 5
Bistro 5 is located in Medford, MA just minutes from downtown Boston. "A quintessential neighborhood spot" boasts The Boston Globe. Chef/Owner Vittorio Ettore and his team serve the finest Italian fare with French and Spanish influences while focusing on farm-fresh local ingredients. Our ever changing Chef's Tasting Menu keeps Boston's most distinguished palates returning time and again for seasonally fresh dishes that embody the warmth and richness of Chef Vittorio's own hospitality. Bistro 5 also offers an extensive wine list featuring unique wines at exceptional values. The Bistro's three dining rooms are richly appointed and can accommodate parties of up to 75 guests, making Bistro 5 the perfect venue for your next office party, family gathering, or special event.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Bistro 5 - Best Restaurants in Medford ›
Bistro 5 reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (62)fit for foodies (57)special occasion (47)romantic (38)notable wine list (21)good for groups (14)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (7)hot spot (7)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Incredible MealOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014Four of us shared 4 different appetizers. The fois grais crème brule with duck prociutto was the most incredible. I had wished I had it all to myself! Carne salada (carpaccio) was also fabulous. The golden beet salad a great hit as well. Dinner choices were veal, rabbit, and scallops and were all fabulous. I can't say enough about our waiter. He was incredibly helpful, funny, and there when we needed him. An outstanding experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/26/2014Scallops were a tad saltier than expected. Overall experience was great.Special Features:
- Mixed reviewNot2fussyDined on 8/23/2014My entree was very good but my spouse was disappointed. Dessert and appetizers were good to very good. Accomodations were very good, and the service was excellent. I really wanted to like this place. In sum, a great destination for the neighborhood but not really a standout overall.Special Features:
- Very Good... not greatsgnourishDined on 8/21/2014Service was informative and attentive. Veal Milanese had two big pieces of high quality cutlets. One cooked well. The other overcooked. Not enough sauce or potato underneath. Gnocchi was good yet didn't stand out. Calamari just average.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Medford GemMayfstroDined on 8/19/2014Great for an evening out. You never feel rushed and there is a nice atmosphere. Great variety of items on the menu, but it could rotate a bit more for regular customers. The beets for an app and rabbit for an entree are awesome picks to start with.Special Features:
- Lost a Step?arlingtondinerDined on 8/19/2014Bistro 5 has been one of our favorite restaurants for a couple of years. Our most recent experience was a bit of a disappointment. Perhaps because it was restaurant week, we waited 45 minutes between the appetizers and the mains. That was a really uncomfortable wait. The food was quite good - with the exception of a very bitter element in the tagliatelle, but wasn't quite up to snuff. The bill for four, including a couple of glasses of wine each rounded out at $300. I'm putting this down to being very busy -- so we will be back for another try soon - but I'm worried that they've lost a step somehow.
- Dry shortcakeJamesDinerDined on 8/14/2014The entrees were very good, veal and steak strips. The disappointment was the dessert - Mixed berry grilled shortcake. My idea of a mixed berry shortcake is a reduced fresh berry sauce (sweetened or unsweetened) poured over shortcake. The shortcake was dry but would have been fine if berries wand sauce were soaked into the shortcake, not totally soaked. The whipped cream was awesome. It didn't meet my expectations.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/8/2014My wife ordered the scallop dish with the scallops to be cooked thru when she received them they were burnt and looked like they were in cut in half not very happy and paid full price for the meal. We also wanted one of your specials on the appetizer and you were out of it.Special Features:
- Great upscale ItalianCraigVIPDined on 8/2/2014With one night in Boston and thousands of choices where to go. Narrowing it down to Italian reduces the choices by about two... We picked Bistro 5 and are glad we went. Our server, Nr 8, was a hoot but knew every dish in great detail. He was ever so accommodating. We had calamari which was served over red peppers with just the right heat. Our second course of gnocchi with forrest mushrooms and truffle was deep and satisfying. The veal Milanese just makes me want to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner at b5OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Always a treat - roasted quail tops, sea scallops perfect, carne salada a revelation with onion jam and scattered cheese, best was a sort of peach cobbler with corn gelato (unusual but tasty), blueberry sauce, and on, each bite a joy.Special Features:
- OutstandingScottyBDined on 7/25/2014We had one of the best dinners out in a long time. The food was truly outstanding from the beet first course to our main courses. We were given some wonderful bread with a chip pea spread as a starter, Not big eaters we were able to order half size on the pasta and one of the main dishes. We really like that. Our waiter Tony could not have been more accommodating. We were so impressed we plan to celebrate our anniversary there this fall. As we told the staff when we left, Bistro 5 is our new top restaurant, Parking can be a problem so going early helps in that there is a parking lot half a block away.Special Features:
- wait staff was very slowTapper5678VIPDined on 7/24/201420 minutes for the waitress to come to the table, another 10 minutes to take our drink order, another 20 minutes to bring our drinks, after placing our order another 30 mnutes to get our food. Food was passable but nothing spectacular.
- Consistently greatPCW1Dined on 7/18/2014Went to Bistro 5 for the first time in a while and am sorry I haven't gone more often. It was outstanding! The calamari was its usual awesome and the scollaps entree was fabulous -- a nice size and absolutely perfectly cooked. Our waiter Tony was very helpful too. Bistro 5 has been a sure thing for a long time. It was great to experience it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/15/2014The food was excellent. We both had salads green & beet which were delicious. I had the branzino and the menu does not misrepresent it. It did indeed come "whole" head, eyes etc. you name it. It was delicious but required careful dissection! my partner had the scallops which were perfectly cooked and flavourful. The creme brulee was amazing. Our server was attentive without being over bearing. We would definitely return, bar seemed to be hopping. Only down side was the noise at 8 pm we found ourselves shouting to be heard, so if you want a quiet conversation over a delicious dinner go early!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointed.JimmieTimmyVIPDined on 7/9/2014We made our reservation through Open Tabe and mentioned that we were celebrating a Birthday. This was never acknowledged. We also had to twice ask our server for the bread and white bean spread which come sauromatically. At these prices, these little things are quite disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodjoysDined on 6/24/2014loved the house cured duck prosciutto as well as carne salada and rohan duck. Tony provided us with excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as always!ShannonBVIPDined on 6/20/2014I never get to go here enough, but when I do it always delivers! And then I am just dying to go back! It is a wonderful place where you always feel comfortable. They food is phenomenal. Not too fussy, but exciting and overall just yummy good! Whenever I am asked for a recommendation - this is where I send people, and no one has ever been disappointed!Special Features:
- Terrific experienceOldSpiceDined on 6/19/2014After numerous visits to this fine restaurant, it never fails to deliver on all fronts. The staff aims to please and is very attentive , warm and welcoming. Service with a smile!! The culinary artistry never disappoints and is always first class. This is why we always come back.Special Features:
- Fabulous as UsualfoodforyouDined on 6/18/2014Vittorio's strawberry festival tasting menu was delicious. I suggest adding the wine pairing. The remodel has created a larger bar area and looks terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Father's Day celebrationDeniseDined on 6/14/2014First time here - wish we had come sooner! Ambience lovely, understated and soothing. Server was excellent but we waited a bit longer than we should have between courses - this I think was due to a large party sitting near us. Focaccia and chickpea spread delicious. Warm beet salad and duck pasta first courses were perfect. Veal Milanese, scallops, and gnocchi with hen of the woods mushrooms perfect too. My son was swooning over the cheese plate. All dishes artfully prepared and presented. Would like to see a second vegetarian option in the entrees. Will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy we went back againMcGoffDined on 6/7/2014The recent renovation is quite nice with the addition of much needed space and a beautiful bar. Our dinner was fabulouse as was the service. We will be back again soon.Special Features:
- RustyDined on 6/4/2014Weenjoyed a long leisurely dinner and we were not rushed or presssured into ordering quickly. Our waiter was attentive, helpful, friendly and courteous. The cocktails were great also. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AgainBootsDined on 5/31/2014We've come to expect an excellent dining experience and we were not disappointed----Tony, our waiter was friendly and attentive as were all others----have never had a problem and experience is memorable alwaysSpecial Features:
- Still AmazingMffazioDined on 5/30/2014It's been over a year since my wife and I have been to Bistro 5. I was very interested in seeing the renovation and we were celebrating a special occasion so we decided it was time to return. As expected Vittorio and his kitchen staff did not disappoint. The duck prosciutto with foie gras brûlée was outstanding! We had the Veal Milanese and Spring Lamb for entrees also great. Love the new bigger bar and reno. Will definitely be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply a nice dinnerKangaDined on 5/30/2014Great service, delicious food, pleasant atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Dining at Bistro 5SandarellaVIPDined on 5/24/2014Finally made it to Bistro 5, post renovations, and were impressed with the transformation. Ambience is dramatically improved with the expanded space. Server: knowledgeable with perfectly balanced attentiveness. The food is, of course, the star: the calamari appetizer: tasty and light with a delicate accompaniment of hot pepper rings and pepper sauce; the humus, surrounded by olive oil and infused lemon, served with a warm focaccia bread were impossible to resist; wild boar sausage with house made pepper tagliatelle: delicious; roasted half chicken with baby spinach and fingerling potatoes: superb; strawberry basil tiramisu: a perfect ending. Bravo, Vittorio! We love A Tavola, but we will be returning to Bistro 5 more frequently!Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerBdayDined on 5/18/2014We had a fantastic dinner to celebrate my children's birthday. We had a variety of appetizers and entrees and all were delicious and beautifully served. The chef made a special cake -chocolate, walnuts and candied orange which was rich, delicious, and light as a feather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingLadiesWhoLunchDined on 5/16/2014In Medford from New York for Tufts graduation, we were knocked out by Bistro 5. The food is superb, the service very helpful and friendly. The gnocchi were the best we've ever eaten--and we are Italian. We're still talking about what an outstanding meal we had. Truth be told, the food may have been a notch better than the very fancy Boston restaurant where we dined later in the weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bliss in West MedfordMickVIPDined on 5/13/2014Our party of six had a stupendous time. Three dozen oysters, appetizers, entrees, fantastic desserts, good cheer, several bottles of reasonably priced wine from a nice selection. Triple wow. Could not have been better. Want to come back on a Thursday for the hamburger special.Special Features:
- Have It Your WayEasterbruncherDined on 5/10/2014The waiter indicated that anything on the menu could be adjusted into any appetizer or meal. That improved the choices. The food arrived perfectly displayed, at the right temperature, and with interesting herb-based flavors. While described as an Italian restaurant, the food was more continental than Italian. I enjoyed it very much. There was no rush to turn the table over.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Becoming a favorite spotjohnnieQ21Dined on 5/8/2014Post renovation, Bistro 5 has a much improved ambience and a great bar. Sit by the window on a Thursday night and try the hamburger special. Or reserve a table and have a more intimate experience. The service is fantastic and the food is always wonderful. The ability to order off the tasting menu a la carte is particularly fun. Duck, lamb and pasta dishes--can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1192 reviews are from the Bistro 5 reviews archive.
- First Trip to Bistro 5AAC1Dined on 5/3/2014My wife and I invited another couple to join us at Bistro 5. The selections of wines by the glass was limited, but there offerings were solid. I had a wonderful super Tuscan. The wine list had some nice selections featuring Italian wines. They did a nice job of offering wines from every region. We ordered the truffle butter and a plate of olives to go with the home made focaccia. It was a great way to start the meal. We ordered the calamari and the duck prosciutto appetizers, which were both outstanding. I had the boar sausage over home made pasta, which was a flavorful dish. I was especially happy that the chef did not go overboard with the pasta. My wife had the veal cutlets Milanese, which was excellent. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!NevsDined on 5/2/2014Bistro 5 is only 1/2 mile from me, so to me it's a neighborhood gem. I went there about a week ago after not being in for a while and was very impressed by the food. I had the scallops and my friend had the Veal. They were both spectacular, so I took 3 people there this past Friday. Everyone had a ball and the food was great!Special Features:
- Out of the wayOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/1/2014Good food. It is however unfortunate that it is so out of the way. Coming from Boston, it took over 45 minutes, got lost numerous times, etc. etc.Special Features:
- grazieDined on 5/1/2014Great restaurant: great service, lovely atmosphere, fabulous food!Special Features:
- SammyDined on 4/26/2014I am a resident of West Medford. It is great to have an upscale Bistro within a mile of my house. My wife and I have been dining at Bistro 5 on a regular basis since thier re-model last fall.We are always pleased with the specials,service and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great meal at Bistro 5MeganDined on 4/12/2014We only come here about once a year because we don't live in Medford anymore :-( This year's visit was terrific as always. Great service and a delicious meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointedNutmeggerDined on 4/11/2014Have heard about this restaurant from foodie neighbors for a long time and have wanted to try it. We invited friends from Arlington who had never been either. Service was great, esp our primary waitress who was attentive yet funny. The appetizer and salad portions of the meal were great--the homemade ricotta is yummy. The main course, however, not so much. My veal was over coated and overlooked. There was simply too much breaking, no meat flavor. The duck was nicely prepared. Seems the scallops were liked, but the portion very small for the price. Overall, better than "ok" but hard to imagine it becoming a go-to dinner option.Special Features:
- Amazing!Aces84Dined on 4/5/2014Love the food and everything about the restaurant. Must try the calamari!Special Features:
- Hip and Trendy Exists In W. MedfordCCM73VIPDined on 4/4/2014Who knew a hip and trendy bistro would be in West Medford?! I first saw this restaurant while on the Commuter Rail as it's right across from the West Medford Commuter Rail station. Always looking for a new place to try, I gave it a go. The server, Antonio, was top notch. Friendly and polite, his recommendations were very much appreciated and not "pushy". He saw to our needs well. The food was wonderful and they are very accommodating on menu item preparations. If I had any one complaint it would be the location is very tough to park. There are public spots but it is a very busy area and hard to find on a Friday night. All of the side streets require resident permits since it is near the T stop.Special Features: