5 Playstead Road
Medford, MA 02155Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bistro5.com/
- Phone: (781) 395-7464
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Open some Sundays/Mondays for Holidays and Special Events. Call for more details.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Italian, French
- Executive Chef: Vittorio Ettore
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Bistro 5 caters a spectrum of events from casual cocktail parties to a formal sit down dinners. We provide innovative cuisine to please any palate using the freshest, local ingredients and professional service. For more information complete the form on the private dining page at www.bistro5.com or call to speak to our event coordinator.
- Private Party Facilities: At Bistro 5 our personal approach in service ensures we execute every detail of your event beyond your expectation. Bistro 5 has the heart and personality of a local favorite but also boasts the sophisticated Northern Italian fare found in a destination dining experience.
- Private Party Contact: Megan Cormier 7813957464
- Cross Street: High Street
- Public Transit: From North Station you can take the commuter rail on the Lowell Line outbound one (1) stop to West Medford. We are directly across Playstead Road from the train platform to the right of the gas station. It is approximately 11 minutes from North Station.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There are several places to park your vehicle. 1. On High Street in West Medford square 2. Along the commuter rail on Playstead Road, parking is available to the public after 5:00 pm 3. Municipal parking lot behind "Bargain Spot Liquor Store" in West Medford Square on the opposite side of High Street *Do not park behind the building in the tenant parking or in the gas station adjacent to Bistro 5. It is private property and you will be towed even when they are closed*
A word from Bistro 5
Bistro 5 is located in Medford, MA just minutes from downtown Boston. "A quintessential neighborhood spot" boasts The Boston Globe. Chef/Owner Vittorio Ettore and his team serve the finest Italian fare with French and Spanish influences while focusing on farm-fresh local ingredients. Our ever changing Chef's Tasting Menu keeps Boston's most distinguished palates returning time and again for seasonally fresh dishes that embody the warmth and richness of Chef Vittorio's own hospitality. Bistro 5 also offers an extensive wine list featuring unique wines at exceptional values. The Bistro's three dining rooms are richly appointed and can accommodate parties of up to 75 guests, making Bistro 5 the perfect venue for your next office party, family gathering, or special event.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Bistro 5 - Best Restaurants in Medford ›
Bistro 5 reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (83)neighborhood gem (78)special occasion (55)romantic (37)notable wine list (30)hot spot (14)good for groups (13)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Poor executionOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/21/2014Lovely room, excellent service, good wine list and innovative menu. Poor execution in the kitchen. We didn't finish either of our meals or our desert. Perhaps a very, very bad night in the kitchen?
- Bistro 5 is a local Medford gemGoodfoodieDined on 11/21/2014Bistro 5 is a very good restaurant and a great place for a special occasion dinner without driving to Boston. The ambience is lovely - intimate, quiet, very friendly and nicely decorated in understated tones and soft lighting. The food is really quite good and the service is superb - attentive, skilled, and helpful, but not stuffy or overbearing. The lemon infused olives were amazing - a great variety of olives in an aromatic lemony oil. The calamari appetizer was perfect - perfect cooked, tender, thin slices of hot pepper and sautéed cherry tomatoes... just fabulous. The bar makes a very good cocktail! The salmon was beautifully cooked, as were the scallops. My wild boar ragu was unfortunately a bit tough and salty, but it was graciously replaced by gnocchi with a hint of truffle oil that was fantastically delicious. Moroccan mint tea topped off a beautiful dinner. A special occasion restaurant for the suburbs, but totally in line with the level of food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good meal and an interesting menuBistro5Dined on 11/15/2014My wife had the beef. She thought that it was cooked perfectly. I had scallops with pumpkin risotto. It had good flavor, but it was a bit salty. The scallops were more chewy than I usually have them, and the risotto was a tad bit undercooked. To be fair, if I was having scallops and risotto for the first time, I would have thought that it was great. But I have a had scallops and risotto A LOT, and I have a lot of data to compare my meal to... The waitstaff was fantastic, and the restaurant was fun and hopping (but not ridiculously loud. I'd go back if I am in Medford at dinner time again...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't DisappointlaniquityDined on 11/8/2014Having heard about Bistro 5 for years, I finally got an opportunity to try this Medford gem and it did not disappoint. This is a great place for a romantic dinner and top quality Italian food without having the trek into the city. Now if there were just more spots open in W. Medford...Special Features:
- ProfessorShorthairVIPDined on 11/8/2014The calamari app is great. The fried oyster special app was a bit pricey. The wild boar pasta dish was outstanding. Desserts were perfect. They make sharing very easy.Special Features:
- bistro 5wildman54Dined on 11/7/2014Awesome as usual! My favorite restaurant. Expert and attentive bar tenders and wait staff. Chef Vittoria is an artist. Nestled in West Medford Square.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Burger Night MehLocalsVIPDined on 11/6/2014Burger ($16) was good but not spectacular. I guess I could say I was a little disappointed... Wife's salmon on salad (not on the menu - $27) was very good, but pricey - the same price as the salmon entry. Overall good, not great.Special Features:
- PerfectPeony5VIPDined on 11/6/2014The wild mushroom truffled gnocchi: wonderful. Ditto the calamari on its delicious tomato base and also the beet salad. Just wish the desserts were more Italian...but the were still delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerAH77Dined on 11/1/2014Truly enjoyed the entire experience from the scallop appetizer to the venecin to the bite of my wife's steak I stole. Wine list was good size and selection yet a bit over priced. Drinks 2 martini bourbon $15 and Cosmo 12. (Bourbon at 15 was a bad Wow) bottom line this is a very good place ,food ,atmosphere , service. I simply believe the owner should rethink his drink and wine prices.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/1/2014The food at Bistro 5 is exceptional -- well presented, reasonable portion sizes and always creative. We've been going there for years for special occasions and never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Worth the tripBruceDined on 11/1/2014Not being from the Medford/Somerville/Arlington area I was looking for a different, local restaurant that served good and unusual food combinations. Bistro 5 met all of the above criteria. Service was excellent. Ron, our waiter was very knowledgeable about the menu offerings and made the evening more enjoyable. We will certainly return when in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/31/2014Renovated and nice decor. Food excellent . Art work a little strong. Would go again.Special Features:
- JSMCVIPDined on 10/30/2014Recent renovations are just wonderful! The new space is cozy and pleasing with a much improved bar area. Food is farm to table, creative, and delicious!Special Features:
- Always a hit!JRPatsFanDined on 10/30/2014Chef Vittorio never fails to delight with his fantastic food, and artistic and creative presentations. The Chef's Tasting Menus, as well as the seasonal dinner menus, bring us back to this gem of a restaurant year round. We are also big fans of his Winchester spot, A Tavalo. I highly recommend a trip to either or, better yet, both!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodCannedYouDined on 10/30/2014I can always count on an interesting, quality meal. Quiet and comfortable. All in a most unexpected place. Check it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent MealMarycoDined on 10/29/2014I had not been to Bistro 5 in over 10 years. I was turned off the last time by a very surly waiter who did not want to wait on a large group, and never went back. I'm glad I gave it another try. I do go to their sister restaurant, A Tavola in Winchester frequently. I went in for their five course prix fixe Harvest Dinner. I wasn't that hungry so I opted to order two of the items off the menu: The duck risotto and venison. Both were perfect! The red wine pairing was perfect! Everything was so delicious and perfectly cooked. I will be back again!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/28/2014Everything was great! Very enjoyable and delicious!Special Features:
- A welcoming placeTwiceDined on 10/22/2014We did not like the seating initially offered but the wait staff worked out a much better location and did so with a smile. A nice start to the evening. The menu had many interesting choices. The pate was smooth and tasty. The scallops were seated in a bed of risotto along with a mini pumpkin. Looked lovely but was just too much food.Special Features:
- Return visitpetercVIPDined on 10/18/2014We returned for dinner here for the first time in a couple of years and had an excellent meal that everyone enjoyed; the only downside was the waitress who had something of an attitude and did not seem to know what she was talking about, at least with regard to the cocktail menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalUmmmmGoodVIPDined on 10/18/2014Not sure why we have not returned to Bistro 5 since just after it opened, but it was our loss. The larger, redecorated restaurant is very attractive without being overdone. Subdued tones, interesting table setting, very relaxing yet unique. The food matched the surrounding. Everything from the fresh bread to the entrees were different and impressive. The service was friendly, caring, and not intrusive. One of the best meals each of us have had in a long time at a sensible price for the quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special Medford bistroBostonFoodieVIPDined on 10/17/2014Inventive, tasty, and unique offerings without the Downtown Boston parking hassle. Appetizers are particularly interesting - a duck prosciutto with a creme caramel and toasted pear accompaniment was great. Expansive wine list for a small place. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seasonal take on Italian cuisineBostonDinerVIPDined on 10/14/2014Delicious food experience at Bistro 5 coupled with good wine and service. Restaurant looks great after recent remodel. House-made ricotta with olive oil and lemon zest followed by fried green heirloom tomatoes with Bufala mozzarella. For entrees we enjoyed tagliatelle with rabbit and veal Milanese with potatoes and zucchini. Love that this restaurant is close to home!Special Features:
- fall feastfoodfriendDined on 10/10/2014We enjoyed the fall tasting menu which included venison which I had never had before. The oyster stew was divine and the fried green tomatoes crunchy and delicious. We split a creme brûlée to top it off. The dinner was special all around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time is a charmpizza5sagDined on 10/4/2014This is the second time my husband and I have been here and boy was it great ! Waitress and staff smiling, friendly, outgoing, and helpful. Food Fantastic. Excellent assistance with the wine choice. ( French Rose ) Appetizer so good ( warm chickpea with olive oil and foccacia ) OMG. Beet salad, with goat cheese and arugula. ( my favorites ) cozy seating . I had the salmon and he had the scallops . Perfect. Dessert was shared , creme brûlée. I could not have asked for a better night out at a restaurant. would certainly go back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out-frigging-standingcsmith0651Dined on 10/4/2014One of the best waiters I've ever had. Ask for Angus. Witty. Sarcastic. Knowledgeable. Intense. Foody. He made the dinning experience fun. The food made the experience delicious. Some of the best food I've ever had. Delicious. They allowed modifications because everything is made in-house. Loved it. I definitely plan on going back.Special Features:
- Never Disappoints!WhatShesHavingDined on 10/4/2014This was my fourth visit to Bistro 5, and it was very very good! Our server couldn't have been better, and the food was crazy good. We asked if we could have an entree as an appetizer, and they accommodated. Our server was Monica, and she was great at answering our questions and checked in on us often. I had the strip steak, and my husband had the scallops -- and both dishes were excellent! For dessert my husband had creme brulee (presentation at the place is amazing) and I had profiteroles. All in all, this was a fabulous meal! I highly recommend this Bistro; the chef is very talented and creative.Special Features:
- Always a pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/1/2014Specials are always outstanding. Never a bad meal or bad service.Special Features:
- Love this restaurant.LillismomDined on 9/30/2014From start to finish our dining experience was excellent. We had a few starters. Heirloom tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and beets. My main dish was the sea scallops with risotto. Our server told us the chef recommended they be cooked medium rare. I was hesitant but they were cooked to perfection. The risotto was creamy and oh so rich! Others at the table had scallops, salmon, tagliatelle, and chicken. Everyone enjoyed their dinner. The only complaint was that the chicken was not as seasoned as this person was accustomed to but the highly seasoned kale made up for it. The chicken was tender. We had profiteroles for dessert and it was a perfect end to a wonderful dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High end, Boston feel in the 'burbsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Loved it. Gone a few times and never disappointed.Special Features:
- Bistro 5 always improvingcjmdDined on 9/27/2014I've been going to Bistro 5 for years and a recent meal was our best ever. The classics are still on the menu and creative options (Heirloom tomato specials) were interesting and perfectly executed. The gnocchi is one of the best dishes available anywhere in Boston; order an app portion for the table. Our server suggested a desert special of corn gelato and while we were initially a little put off by the dehydrated this and deconstructed that it was absolutely delicious, fun to eat and a perfect portion to share. I'd like to see some more bottled beer options and I hope Tuesday $1 oyster specials at the bar continue!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GM1313Dined on 9/27/2014This was our first visit to Bistro5. We had been told that it was a special restaurant. The recommendation was totally correct. Chef Vittorio (owner) stopped by our table and asked about the food and the service. We found him to be a very friendly person who sincerely was interested in our opinion. We will return to Bistro5 with friends. We definitely recommend Bistro 5 to anyone who appreciate good Italian food in a clean environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A study in contradictionsstarlingtonVIPDined on 9/19/2014The food was absolutely wonderful. Every thing on our plates was amazing - the piattini, the starters and main courses and dessert. But, we were seated between the noisy bar with lots of flannel-clad patrons and the bathroom at a cramped table despite having a reservation and the restaurant not being totally full. Our first few orders were brought out basically on top of each other so that our little tiny table was overflowing uncomfortably with plates, glasses, etc. They did a fabulous job recovering from bringing my husband the wrong plate (we now have full (but wrong) meal in a to-go box in our frig). I was also a bit taken aback to look over and see people sniffing their food and using their soup spoons to scoop up mashed potatoes.Special Features:
- Bistro 5Bistro5thebestDined on 9/17/2014This was our second visit. I didn't think they could be better than the first time...but they were. Probably the best meal I've had in a decade, and the wine pairings were perfect. Waiter (Tony) was spectacular. Can't wait to go again. I've only seen this kind of style and attention to detail on the West Coast. Thank the Chef/Owner for us. His talents are greatly appreciatedSpecial Features:
- Heirloom Tomato BlissPeg319ethaVIPDined on 9/11/2014This is the second special heirloom tomato occasion we have attended. This is a special treat especially the Rohan duck with a tomato cream brûlée. Bravo Chef Ettore!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for conversationboboDined on 9/2/2014Excellent atmosphere with relatively low noise level. Food very good to though the menu limited. Knowledgeable service staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible MealOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014Four of us shared 4 different appetizers. The fois grais crème brule with duck prociutto was the most incredible. I had wished I had it all to myself! Carne salada (carpaccio) was also fabulous. The golden beet salad a great hit as well. Dinner choices were veal, rabbit, and scallops and were all fabulous. I can't say enough about our waiter. He was incredibly helpful, funny, and there when we needed him. An outstanding experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/26/2014Scallops were a tad saltier than expected. Overall experience was great.Special Features:
- Mixed reviewNot2fussyDined on 8/23/2014My entree was very good but my spouse was disappointed. Dessert and appetizers were good to very good. Accomodations were very good, and the service was excellent. I really wanted to like this place. In sum, a great destination for the neighborhood but not really a standout overall.Special Features:
- Very Good... not greatsgnourishDined on 8/21/2014Service was informative and attentive. Veal Milanese had two big pieces of high quality cutlets. One cooked well. The other overcooked. Not enough sauce or potato underneath. Gnocchi was good yet didn't stand out. Calamari just average.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Medford GemMayfstroDined on 8/19/2014Great for an evening out. You never feel rushed and there is a nice atmosphere. Great variety of items on the menu, but it could rotate a bit more for regular customers. The beets for an app and rabbit for an entree are awesome picks to start with.Special Features: