491 B Highland Ave
Augusta, GA 30909Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bistro491.com/
- Phone: 7067386491
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Todd Schafer
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a room for 25 to 60 for private dinners, also we have a small private area for 8 to 16
- Private Party Contact: Henry Colley 7067386491
A word from Bistro 491
Bistro 491 opened its doors in March of 1999 as an intimate neighborhood eatery serving a menu inspired by the seasons. We strive to serve simple, elegant food, paired with a stellar wine list and professional service. Chef Todd Schafer uses specialty purveyors from all over the nation to get the best quality ingredients, whether it's oysters from Seattle, foie gras from the Hudson Valley or fresh seafood flown in from the M.F. Foley Fish Co. in New Bedford, Massachusetts. Our goal is to treat all of our patrons as we would guests in our home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bistro 491 reviews from OpenTable diners
2 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (2)fit for foodies (1)romantic (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- outstanding servicelofumomDined on 5/24/2014professional, friendly, just all around outstanding serviceSpecial Features:
- The following 382 reviews are from the Bistro 491 reviews archive.
- sad they are closingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/21/2014Excellent food and service as usual. Hate it is their last week in business.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Husband's Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/19/2014My husband and I cook a lot and love, fresh food (garden, etc.) We are always trying to find nice, places to go without leaving the area and 491 Bistro is such a neighborhood gem! I read the reviews and heard a couple of great, things about it from a few, people. This was a pretty, important occassion, so I gave it a try and made the reservation. After that, I took a drive to the location to see it and make sure I knew exactly, where to go. It was closed at that time, but the gentleman there was coming out to get the mail, and he was kind enough to let me look around briefly after I told him I had just made a reservation, but had never been to the restaurant before. The food was, OMG! It was the best filet, mignon I have had in years! Go!Special Features:
- Food NookOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/15/2014Comfortable and elegant with great food. Service a little unpolishedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite restaurant !!!!BestnAugustaDined on 5/9/2014Celebrated our 45th wedding anniversary on 5/9 and as always*** the finest dining experience. The Bistro is our SPECIAL go to restaurant, birthdays ans any/all opportunities! Thank you for being #1.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be back !!HappyHungerVIPDined on 5/1/2014Although we had a hard time finding the restaurant in the shopping center, ( On the side, next to Talbots) Once we did, we were not disappointed !! Henry greeted us like we were regulars. Mia was an incredible server. And our food was prepared and presented perfectly. The kitchen was spot on ! I had the lamb and my date enjoyed the salmon. The only reason I am not giving 5 stars all around is that they were out of raw oysters. I can't wait until my next visit to try them. I will be back !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the BistroRonaldVIPDined on 4/22/2014This is the best restaurant in Augusta. Service is great and the food is exceptional. Chef Todd Schafer is the best chef in Augusta. Love his personal touch!!Special Features:
- Bistro 491BearcatDined on 4/19/2014Food and service were both very good. I ended up sitting facing the kitchen, which happens now and again in life, but not much of a view for dinner. Appetizer of the scallops were excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome GemGlfngalVIPDined on 4/7/2014We come to Augusta once a year and this is the first place we book....for the entire week! The appetizer which could be the best put together group of foods - lobster, foie gras and tomatoes, is a plate of heaven! Not sure it's on the menu still but if it is, order! The bone in pork chop was not only cooked dead on perfect, had smoke flavor and melted in your mouth. Scallops for me were delicious and I hate to admit but we ordered the exact same thing every night we went.Special Features:
- Great. Will visit again sooncoastalaliDined on 4/5/2014We used to frequent 491 bistro often but haven't for a while. We tried it again revelry and it was outstanding. From the food to the staff everything was top notch. The deserts were amazing. Who knew a chocolate decedent cake could be made without flour? And as always the creme brule did not dissapoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A TreatTommyDined on 2/28/2014The Grilled ahi tuna is always outstanding along with the Oysters Rockefeller which are usually from Prince Edward Island or from New Brunswick province of Canada. Also the grilled lamb as well as the duck breast is always outstanding. It is a always a relaxing treat to go there on weekends or during the week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but great foodDudeOnValentinesDined on 2/14/2014We spent just over $100 not including tip for our Valentine's dinner. The food was delicious and I definitely recommend eating here at least once. Considering the prices, I would go here for special occasions only though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for special occasionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/10/2014My girlfriend and I came here for our anniversary. She had the beef short rib and I had the ahi tuna. The food was good but could have used a little seasoning. The environment was nice and upscale. I would recommend this place to others.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/10/2014We haven't been here for a few years. Salads, Main Course (Beef Short Ribs), Sides, and Desserts, as well as Service were all Very Good to Excellent. Food was delicately seasoned (I hate salty meat) - Left full and satisfied. Busy for a Monday, sound level was a little higher than expected - They were booked for V-Day... otherwise might have gone back. Will Return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was great! Our visitorsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/5/2014It was great! Our visitors are still talking about how delicious the food was. We had an awesome time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we found Bistro 491!jackieDined on 1/21/2014This hidden gem in Surrey is a real treat. Celebrated my Birthday and the food was delicious! We will make this a regular dining spot!Special Features:
- Food was outstanding and outIzzysmomDined on 1/18/2014Food was outstanding and out server was friendly and attentive. Somewhat expensive but worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and service!!DrewDined on 1/11/2014We enjoyed it- everyone is friendly and the food was exceptional. Well worth the drive from evans!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dinning in AugustaSleepydocDined on 1/4/2014I had always heard about this place when I was in medical school years ago. On a recent trip back to visit I decided to give it a try. I was not disappointed. Great food, awesome service and a chic atmosphere. Definitely worth a revisit if I'm back that waySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of town visitors delighted!!AugustaInsiderDined on 1/3/2014We entertained foodie friends from D.C. on a Friday evening. They were delightfully pleased with the food an service. They said it was one of their best fine dining experiences. This is a high compliment from a couple who has lived in D.C. for over 25 yrs and are avid foodies. We love Bistro 491 and are so glad it is located just down the street from our home. We highly recommend!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for fine diningTleeDined on 12/31/2013The food was excellent and service was great. Not a huge menu choice, but not ecpected for this type of dining. Is not the type of restaurant I would eat at weekly, but for special outing it is perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and servicefuzzywuzzyDined on 12/30/2013My date's steak was a little undercooked and the staff was very eager to please. This was taken back and cooked to her satisfaction and we were not charged for the steak. In addition, the food was a few minutes late coming to us and we were given free desserts to make up for it. Overall, we had a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I and the 2 girls I was withOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/9/2013I and the 2 girls I was with commented on leaving how relaxing and enjoyable our meal was..... The food was great too. Our waitress could not have been nicer.......It was a nice night our with friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentCajunDined on 11/12/2013I have been here about 6 times. The place is consistently solid and enjoyable. Would strongly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceJTASHDined on 11/6/2013Food and service was great. Already recommended this place to a friend. Definitely plan on returning in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/2/2013Bistro 491 is a nice place for a special night out. Great food, friendly and efficient service. Favorite restaurant in Augusta.Special Features:
- POSITIVE: Great food and atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2013POSITIVE: Great food and atmosphere. NEGATIVE: It was extremely cold! The front door was too close to the tables and consistently opened and the air conditioner was still on although the outdoor temp. Dropped well below 60 on the date we dined.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food, excellent servicebusinessdinerDined on 10/21/2013This is a great local restaurant to show off to out of town guests! My colleagues and I took a candidate interviewing with us for a job to dinner here and we all enjoyed with pride his compliments about the great dining experience. The noise level was perfect for comfortable, audible conversation - enough background noise so the place didn't echo and our conversation remained private while speaking at a normal volume.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good consistent food.foodcrticDined on 10/19/2013Although the head chef wasn't there that night, the food was still excellent and consistent as ever. Wine list is overpriced although had some good selections not found at other restaurants but was still a little lacking in selection by the glass. Service was good but kind of rushed considering there were only 4 other tables filled beside ours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but there are better optionsHighstandards1Dined on 10/16/2013There are Better fine dining options in Augusta for the price. I had the filet cooked medium rare and it was just ok. Small plate Crab cakes were good The creamy twice baked potato that came with filet was really good Dessert options were weak in my opinion ... No chocolate choices
- Perfect for date nightCDubbleDined on 10/14/2013This is a great restaurant for date night or special occasions. The dim lighting and relaxing ambiance with candles on the tables was great. We started with the calamari and the crab cakes. The calamari was seasoned well and crab cakes were phenomenal. For the entree we split one of the large plates - pork chops w mac and cheese and garlic spinach. The pork chops were cooked well, although the garlic spinach had a little too much garlic for my liking. All in all, it was good. Our favorite part of the entire meal was dessert. We ordered the bread pudding, and it was superb. I would definitely go back just for the bread pudding. Overall, Bistro 491 is definitely one of the better restaurants I've been to in Augusta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid food, date night spotYummDined on 10/12/2013We had to wait at the bar while our table was prepared, but service was quick and the food was excellent. So many excellent options that we wanted to come back to try the fish !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Favorite in AugustaChrisCDined on 10/11/2013This was our second visit to Bistro 491 and this time we brought along a couple who had not been there before. All of us enjoyed the meal very much. The menu is interesting, the food presentation was very good, and everything tasted great. Our visit was only marred by the presence of a group of 8 who seemed to be intent on outdoing each other in regard to how loud and obnoxious they could be. The owner/manager made a point of coming to each table to inquire if everything was satisfactory. We will come back, though perhaps not on a weekend, as the large room gets very noisy when full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulCCCSDined on 9/30/2013Topping navy beans with salmon, interesting and very good. The pork shoulder was tender and moist. Very well presented and served.Special Features:
- Needs to add more seasoningMidwestImportDined on 9/28/2013We've been going to Bistro off and on for over 10 years. The food has become bland and basic over time. We had the short ribs and pork shoulder. The meat did not have enough individual flavor. It was tender and cooked well, but needed more. The appetizers were tasty and the scallops were done to perfection. Compared with the other great restaurants Augusta has to offer, Bistro has not kept up with the times. The one wine list needs a refresh as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It is a bit pricey but theLoveGreatFoodService1Dined on 9/21/2013It is a bit pricey but the menu is definitely gourmet. Great for sea food lovers. Small portions with a twist. Loved the creamy mashed potatoes and the asparagus. The steak could have been more flavorful and tender for the price. The service was friendly and attentive. The desserts were creative and delicious.Special Features:
- A Special EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2013My wife & I decided to treat ourselves to a nice meal out where we knew the service would be as good as the food. Bistro 491 did not disappoint. My wife started with the Caesar salad which came with stalks of romaine coated in dressing topped with a parmesan crisp. I started with the charcrouterie plate, which really had more cheese that meat but was very enjoyable. We both had the pan seared halibut as an entrée. It was served with peas & asparagus risotto. While we enjoyed the dish, the halibut was a bit dry and the risotto was a bit overcooked and also dry. We washed it all down with a reasonably priced pinot noir.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice restuarantIamafoodie2Dined on 9/14/2013This a great romantic restaurant. Perfect for a date night. The ambience was very nice as well. The food was delicious. One of Augusta's best kept secrects/Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice business dinner. LimitedmorandcVIPDined on 9/9/2013Nice business dinner. Limited menu but interesting choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unusually quiet eveningdiningprofessorVIPDined on 8/31/2013I enjoy the food and the service at Bistro 491, but when it is crowded the noise interferes with the pleasure of the dining experience. Because few people were dining during our visit this time, I found the entire experience to be much more pleasurable -- the food tasted better, the service was more friendly and accommodating. A truly enjoyable experience with excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.