400 W 4th Street
Santa Ana, CA 92701Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bistro400.com/
- Phone: 7145439821
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30pm - 5:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: With over 25 years experience in catered events & production, we specialize in customizing & tailoring your event to suit your dreams & budget. Experts at designing cuisine from around the world, we would love the opportunity to meet with you to create your fantasy event. As a Full Service Caterer we expertly coordinate everything for you such as site location, event planning, menu selections, professional service, decorations & props, rental equipment, fully licensed & insured beverage & bar service, musicians, D.J.’s, entertainment, photography & videography.
- Private Party Facilities: For unique events at our charming restaurant, we are centrally located in heart of the beautifully restored Downtown Santa Ana. Often called “The Gem of the Downtown” our Bistro offers a unique charm with extreme versatility. Our wonderfully quaint Bistro is available any day of the week for private events. Birthday Parties, Intimate Weddings, Wedding receptions, Wedding Rehearsal Dinner, etc.
- Private Party Contact: Keith Bennett 7145439821
- Entertainment: www.bistro400.com/entertainment.php
Live Blues, R&B, Jazz, Rock every Friday & Saturday evenings 7:30pm to 11:30pm
- Cross Street: Between 4th & Birch
- Public Transit: Ross & 1st. 4th & Broadway.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Street Parking is available on Broadway or Birch. Free after 8pm. 4 story, well lit parking structure is directly behind the Bistro 400 on Birch Street. Free after 6pm. Street Security Team until 2am.
A word from Bistro 400
Uniquely charming, quaint, casual elegant dining in the original beautiful Historical Downtown District of Orange County. Built in 1888, the Bistro 400"s Brick building & Mahogany bar is a Landmark to the area. By day, the Bistro 400 proudly accommodates a quick & hearty lunch to the Jurors, Attorneys & Judges of the Federal Court Building across the street serving signature Salads, Burgers & Tartines. By afternoon, Happy Hour kicks in with great drink specials. Evenings offer selections from our lunch menu & our menu of excellence in Pastas, Steaks, Seafood & Lamb with flavors & flares from Southern Europe to our very own Southern Bayous of Louisiana! Late night brings fun to the Bistro with Drink Specials, Entertainment & our Late Night Menu with affordable choices of Appetizers, Burgers, Salads & Sandwiches.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bistro 400 reviews from OpenTable diners
1 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance2Noise LevelModerate
- Went for the musicChrispcreamVIPDined on 4/25/2014My friend was playing the night we went. I really enjoyed the pasta with shrimp. Very good.Special Features:
- LaughableMuchVIPDined on 4/8/2014This is banquet food at best. Over sauced. Bland. Wilted. Sub par quality. We were the only patrons in the place on a sad Tuesday night.
- Dinner before a showVickDined on 3/8/2014We had a nice table inside. Nicec menu, good choices. It was 6:30. The music group started setting up. We asked when they were going to start. They said 8:00 PM. OK good as we wanted to talk during our dinner. They started tunning up, and practicing. We could not hear what was being said. The waiter moved us out side to a nice table. On nights there is music, be sure to sit outside if you want to talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Experience was not what was expected. As I looked for a Valentines restaurant, this place jumped out at me. I looked for pictures online and found that it was small and quaint. I hurried to make the reservations hoping to get a table, I did, Great! Being new again to California, I drove around the block trying to decide where to park, it seemed kind of empty inside- not a good sign. I finally found a spot out front. cool. We were not impressed by the classroom setting. Service was fine,not impressive, just fine. The chicken meal was Phenomenal. The beef, tasteless. Drinks were OK. Long story short. the classroom setting killed the romance of valentines.Special Features:
- 2 years in rowAR23Dined on 2/14/2014This is the second year that my girlfriend and I have had dinner for our anniversary and Valentine's Day and again we were not disappointed. The food was excellent and the service was very good. We always leave Bistro 400 very happy, and full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Neighborhood PlaceTdrexVIPDined on 2/14/2014Situated in the historic part of the city this bistro serves good food and drinks in an indoor/outdoor setting. Parking in the garage behind the building is easy and inexpensive or on street in front of the restaurant (a bit difficult due to crowding).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown SA SpotBirthdaysDined on 11/15/2013A group of us came here to celebrate birthdays. The food and drinks were just okay but the service was really good! We did not stay late enough to check out the DJ and live band. There was a line when we left. So we may come back later to check out the music & dancing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My husband and I ate at thisChrisDined on 10/28/2013My husband and I ate at this restaurant at 3:00 p.m. We were the only ones there and loved it. The service and food were great. We are definitely going there again.Special Features:
- Worth Checking OutDiegoLivin21Dined on 8/24/2013Small place but definitely worth trying out. The drinks are great and so is the staff. Highly recommend taking a date here. The life music plus the chill atmosphere makes for a great night, I certainly can attest to that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magic in every biteJamStripesDined on 6/15/2013The world I live in was turned up side down. I have heard that if you slow down and look around, you find gems of the restaurant scene. I did just that and have never been so well rewarded. the place was small, but it allows you to get close to those you sit with and with the band if you so wish. The owner is the nicest guy you could ever meet and seemed he'd bend over backwards to prove it. He made you feel like a regular despite it was my first time to the restaurant. The band was great filled with oldies and goodies that make the night magical. Then the food came and I was blown away, it tasted just like it did back home. And it tasted better the longer I ate it. It hit all the right notes and made the whole experience worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had a better meal than at MortonsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/15/2013I had some amazing lamb here. The service was amazing. The staff is down to earth and friendly. It is very fairly priced. I literally had a better meal here than I did at Morton's Steakhouse the night before. I was very pleasantly surprised :)Special Features:
- It was a little more brightAR23Dined on 2/14/2013It was a little more bright than I would have liked for a romantic Valentine's Day dinner but in all, a great experience and I would visit Bistro 400 again.
- Tried crab cakes which wereOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/14/2012Tried crab cakes which were pretty good. The gumbo was not very interesting though. Not sure I'd go back .. the location seemed a little out of the way (was hard to find). Seems more like a bar with a few extra tables than a Bistro with a bar.Special Features:
- All were friendly. We likedVickDined on 8/24/2012All were friendly. We liked the Happy Hour special prices.Special Features:
- Food was ok. This place isKarlDined on 5/14/2012Food was ok. This place is using it's menu to draw people in but the execution is only one step up from a diner. The impression I got was of a neighborhood bar with pretensions.
- Great Modern food with lotsKJEEVIPDined on 3/9/2012Great Modern food with lots of choices. Good for a group our date night.Special Features:
- Quiet on a Wednesday night,ILoveFoodDined on 2/29/2012Quiet on a Wednesday night, but hopping when the band is there...Special Features:
- We went there for St Valentine'sOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/14/2012We went there for St Valentine's and felt we got special treatment due to Open Table. It was a busy night and so I think that maybe there were a few extra tables squeezed in. At first glance I thought that the table plan was too regimented and so I was relieved when we were given the window table. It was a fixed price StV's meal but very good for the price.Special Features:
- Bristo 400 was really goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2012Bristo 400 was really good over all. The food had a really great taste and was worth the money. I went there for valentines for dinner. They had live music which was a plus. I'm not a wine person but they have a big selection of wines and a bar. The only thing I didn't really like was that the tables were to close to each other, too close and that my date wanted to taste their desserts but we were waiting almost 5 minutes for our waiter to come to us so she changed her mind but he was good over all. All the waitres were very nice and had great service. Bristo is nice for a nice relaxing dinner. I had a NY steak which was really great with some type of sauce that went really great with the steak and their vegetables mix with apples weregreatSpecial Features:
- I made the reservation forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012I made the reservation for a group of ladies before going to the Bowers Museum. Museum close enough, and the experience was very nice.Special Features:
- The food is consistently great.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/21/2011The food is consistently great. I highly recommend the g-bread and the rack of lambSpecial Features:
- A very nice, special findMikeFoodVIPDined on 7/29/2011A very nice, special find kind of restaurant. Interesting menu that shows a lot of creativity without going over the top.Special Features:
- Excellent food, especiallyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/25/2011Excellent food, especially the G-bread and Jambalaya!!!
- My boyfriend and I went toOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/2/2011My boyfriend and I went to dinner here on a Saturday night. We showed up rather early at 7:15 and the live band was still setting up. Outside seating is minimal so we sat inside at the window. Great service and ambiance. We had a pretty server who was on top of things. I believe it was the manager who kept checking in too. The decorations were great and gave a good mood, however the chair I sat it wasnt the most comfortable. It was a little old which is fine for looks but the springs were worn down and gave no support. I sunk in and felt stuck. I had the salmon and he had the margherita pizza I think. It was pretty good, needed salt but the spice was amazing. The portion sizes of the drinks, food, desert was small compared to the price.Special Features:
- Quaint, Live Jazz, Menu needs focusReviewerVIPDined on 6/25/2011It's a nice atmosphere in Santa Ana; artsy, with live Jazz on Satruday night. Glad we stumbled upon it. The food was good, but the menu is a bit disconjointed with no solid theme. Yes, the Jambalaya was good, a specialty of the restaurant, yet there is not a Cajun focus overall and it seemed a bit disconnected. I would like to see a better developed "bistro" menu. If it's Cajun, that's fine. Adequate wine list, but you better get there early if you want a wine glass. Most diners had to drink wine out of stemless glasses, which I would have to send back to the bar. Nice wine needs a nice wine glass. We enjoyed the live Jazz. Why can't we have more of that in conservative Orange County! Give it a try; best wishes to the proprietor.Special Features:
- We had a great meal - theirMaureenDined on 5/17/2011We had a great meal - their mussels are some of the best, served in a flavorful broth that doubles as a soup! The lamb chops were delish, and a very generous 5 chop portion. Happy hour half price wine by the glass was an added bonus.Special Features:
- The food and service was good..CathyVIPDined on 3/9/2011The food and service was good.. It was a little odd because they were having a gothic night. However, we all had a great time..
- The food was delicious bothAnindiantasterDined on 3/5/2011The food was delicious both in taste and presentation. The wait staff were very knowledgeable about the food on the menu and the area.Special Features:
- We went in for dinner, it'sOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/4/2011We went in for dinner, it's a really nice spot, easy to find and close to the main streets. I really enjoyed my food, gumbo and salmon with mango sauce, but my boyfriend didn't think much of the chicken primavera. We discovered a great wine, their house white zinfandel! The tiramisu was great too.Special Features:
- Had valentines dinner here.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2011Had valentines dinner here. Could only order off pre-fix menu, so I can't comment on their regular menu. But the valentines pre-fix reminded me of poor wedding food. Salad was way too tangy, salmon was overcooked, and filet was just average. I have to that the martinis are really good though.Special Features:
- Bistro 400 is a fun and enjoyableToniDined on 2/14/2011Bistro 400 is a fun and enjoyable resturant. We went for Valentine's Day and had a perfectly layed out dinner. They also had a wonderful duo with piano player John Higgins and singer Shari Cyrkin who preformed throught our dinning experience and who just finished the evening off with their wonderful timeless standards.Special Features:
- I grabbed my wife after workOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/14/2011I grabbed my wife after work and we headed here for an early Valentines Day meal. Since it was early we were the only ones there. The place is small but very cozy. They had a prix-fix menu but allowed us to order from the regular menu instead. The food was delicious. We had the Ahi appetizer and the spinach and crab dip. The only disappointed was that the dip was made wit krab and not crab so that was a little false advertising on the menu. I had the shrimp and scallop fettucine. The sauce did not have a lot of seasoning but when I added salt and pepper it was delicious. My wife had a steak, which she complimented as being very tender. Like other reviews have said the food is nothing spectacular but the place was nice, the food wSpecial Features:
- Nice ambiance inside and outOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/2/2010Nice ambiance inside and out in revitalized Santa Ana. They just need to work on the food a bit.Special Features:
- Food was good, with some interestinRedSoxCarlosVIPDined on 8/5/2010Food was good, with some interesting items on the menu.
- I enjoyed the food and theOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/26/2010I enjoyed the food and the service provided by Bistro 400. Their Catfish tartine was excellent. I am planning to take my wife for lunch sometime in the near future.Special Features:
- I'm sorry to say that theOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 5/21/2010I'm sorry to say that the food was disappointing. We started with the crab artichoke dip, which was tasty, but pretty much cheese only. The jambalaya was way too creamy. The beets in the beet salad did not taste very fresh, dare I say store-bought. The ahi dish was decent. The particular steak my friend ordered was overdone for my taste, but he ordered it medium-well, so I can't say either way, but the steak fries were fine. We all decided to give the restaurant another chance of redemption with dessert. We tried the apple strudel thing, but unfortunately were disappointed once again. If it were to have come with a scoop of ice cream instead of a mountain of whipped cream, perhaps we would have enjoyed that more. Live music was niSpecial Features:
- One problem we had was theOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/9/2010One problem we had was the music. Although they were very good, they played for most of our dinner and the decibel level was not conducive to talking. Had it been warmer and had we known that the music would be so loud, we would have requested patio dining. The only other problem was that I made a notation on Open Table that this was a birthday for a good friend. I thought that would be enough to prompt some kind of birthday acknowledgement, but none came. I certainly didn't think I'd have to mention it again when we arrived, since it was noted on the reservation. But I guess I was wrong.
- The value to cost was exceptional.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/13/2010The value to cost was exceptional. It is a small neighborhood restaurant (don't find many of those in Orange County).Special Features: