620 5th Street
Santa Rosa, CA 95401Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bistro29.com/
- Phone: 7075462929
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday:5:00PM - 9:00PM, Friday & Saturday:5:00PM - 9:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Brian Anderson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details
- Private Party Contact: Brian Anderson 7075462929
A word from Bistro 29
Bistro 29 located in downtown Santa Rosa, Sonoma County. Bistro 29 is a traditional bistro specializing in “Breton” regional cuisine. The number 29 comes from the department of Finistère (end of the earth) located in the upper tip of north-west France. Known for the Galette de blé noir (traditional buckwheat crêpe) and sweet crêpes, Bretagne also uses a variety of local seafood and produce that can easily be found in and around northern California.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Bistro 29 - Best Restaurants in Santa Rosa ›
Bistro 29 reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (78)special occasion (59)neighborhood gem (52)romantic (47)notable wine list (26)good for groups (13)kid-friendly (6)hot spot (5)great for lunch (5)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Prix Fixe knockout this week!TravelerDined on 8/19/2014First was a shot of chilled spinach soup with parmesan cream and croutons, delicious and refreshing. Next was watermelon-mache salad with toasted pumpkin seeds, fromage blanc, and shallot-sherry vinaigrette, appealing and delicious, light but rich. Well-paired with slightly oakey Kokomo sauv blanc. Next was a modest grilled albacore steak served over heirloom tomato concasse, olive-poached potatoes and bacon-grain mustard vinaigrette. Fish perfectly cooked, and potatoes tender. Flavors blended delightfully and were well matched by Domaine du Tariquet. Dessert was a sweet crepe with brown sugar-rum poached peaches and whipped cream, plus French press decaf. Overall, a superb variety of flavors producing a light but satisfying summer meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forgot about the serviceNorthbay38Dined on 8/14/2014Once again, after a few years away, we were lured back by a tempting menu. And once again, we were treated to lovely food and very poor service. An example, three of us had completely finished our salads and one was still working. A server, not ours, came to the one still eating and asked to take his plate. When he declined, she walked away, leaving three empty plates on the table. It was a long wait between courses and at the end, with empty plates and cash lying on the table, we had to work hard to get someone's attention and ask if we could please leave...and there were only about 4 tables with people at the time, so they weren't all that busy. Too bad the service doesn't match the great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French in Santa RosaSFFoodAddictDined on 8/14/2014We joined friends while they ate at Bistro 29 and really regretted that we had already eaten! So we tried it the next week (the prix-fixe menu is only available Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday). We started with a shot of heirloom tomato soup, which was so good that we wished for more. The peach and greens salad was good, but the peaches were not very flavorful and the dressing seemed a little heavy. The third course was a mixture of pork belly and prawns, each very well-prepared and tasty, but I am not sure that they are a natural pairing. The caramel crepe for desert was lovely. We had the wine pairing and both wines were interesting and went well with the food. All in all, it was very good and we are going back for more.Special Features:
- WonderfulGoCubsDined on 8/13/2014Excellent food in a relaxed atmosphere. Our group took advantage of the multiple options available with one of us ordering the prix fixe menu, two ordering specific entrees (daube of beef - so tender, cassoulet - glorious), and the fourth person a savory buckwheat crepe. The server was wonderful: she provided an excellent wine recommendation and was attentive without being intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very well prepared food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014My meal at Bistro 29 was a business dinner for 4 people and it was perfect for that. Very good food and fine service. Everyone was happy with the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for dinner.BobfDined on 8/9/2014This was our first trip. The menu was quite appealing (especially if you like crepes, their speciality). If you stick to a dinner crepe, the prices are quite modest. If you go for their entrees, they double ($22-28) but are definitely worth it for the taste experience. We felt like we were back in Paris for a little while. They have a $30 prix fixe menu on Tuesday-Thursday, which we will definitely try later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A rare gem in downtown Santa RosaDrJohnDined on 8/2/2014This upscale bistro has a strong local following and IMHO it's one of THE destination restaurants in the wine country. The menu features authentic Breton French cuisine highlighted with a generous tinge of California creativity and underpinned by local Sonoma farm-to-table sourcing. Chef/owner Brian Anderson and his French-born wife, Francoise, are the perfect restaurateur couple. They bring together their wonderful culinary backgrounds and they also radiate a warmth and charm that permeate this classy venue. The menu is terrific, and you may learn a few new words like "daube" and "bourride". The execution is always top-notch. No need to drive to Napa or San Francisco - the region's best French bistro is right here in downtown Santa Rosa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumdparkinsonVIPDined on 8/1/2014Great food and service. Creative local, seasonal dishes. I had a lamb shank on a bed of green mashed potatoes with gremolata on top. Don't miss their perfect crème brulee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodTetons2Dined on 7/31/2014Great food, great staff, maybe a slight bit overpriced.Special Features:
- Best French RestaurantcrumpyDined on 7/24/2014The best in Santa Rosa area. Some of us enjoyed the special prix fixe menu for $29--a wonderful 4 courses Tues-Thurs! The staff were just perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable, delicious, perfectHappy95girlDined on 7/19/2014What I love about Bistro 29 is that the atmosphere is very comfortable. The lighting is perfect, the decor is lovely and the menu and wine list are perfectly designed to please every palat. I highly recommend Bistro 29Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very FrenchFastidiousVIPDined on 7/19/2014It remains my favorite French restaurant in Santa Rosa.Special Features:
- Good ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014The server was not very attentive. The food was pretty good, but it was not exceptional. The tables are a little close together. From the reviews, we were expecting a fabulous meal. We would try it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealDinerDined on 7/11/2014Every dish was beautiful and delicious, from the perfectly crispy fries to the scallops and bistro steak, and of course, desserts. Always impressed by the reasonable wine list, too.Special Features:
- Another PleasureDavidDined on 7/10/2014Took out-of-town relatives out for intimate dinner to one of our favorite places. As usual, we had great food and service and a pleasant time with our friends/relatives.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently ExcellentEricVIPDined on 7/10/2014After dining here several times now, I am confident in reporting that our experiences with service, food quality and general pleasure have been consistently excellent. This time I had the prix fix meal of the week which was simply terrific from amuse bouche (melon gazpacho) salad, main course (paillard of pork) to the final dessert. My wife had the lamb shank which was delicious as always and yielded a doggie box take home due to the generous portions. Service was simply perfect. Tempted to go back tonight as I write this.Special Features:
- A GemTravelgal1Dined on 7/9/2014My husband and I went here for our anniversary. He had the pan seared scallops that looked delicious and I had the smaller serving of the seafood casolet. I would give mine a 6 out of 5 stars! It was wonderful. The butter leaf salads were perfect in size and we had sorbet for dessert. All in all a definite winner. We will return.Special Features:
- OUTSTANDINGbaptaiDined on 7/5/2014Lived here 27 years, just found Bistro 29 and had the very best meal ever !!! Would recommend this to anyone and every one. Food excellent, service excellent, can't wait to go backSpecial Features:
- carolineDined on 7/5/2014the crepes were a delicious appetizer and my scallops fantastic. a restaurant not to be missed. we had a great dinner!Special Features:
- Wonderful EveningwinecountrybruceDined on 7/1/2014The food was spectacular. Quaint setting. Ambience just average. Great menu.Special Features:
- Second visitsgiffVIPDined on 6/27/2014Our second time and again charmed by very interesting flavour combinations - chef adds a creative flair to each dish, making them stand out from the ordinary. At the same time, not so outrageous that you can't identify your food. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Consistently fantastic!bbbabyDined on 6/27/2014The food at Bistro 29 is consistently fantastic, seasonally spot on, taking advantage of Sonoma county's bounty. Chef Brian is creative and loves his craft, and it shows!Special Features:
- Consistently OutstandingTravelerDined on 6/26/2014Bistro 29 delivers a delicious meal with grace and charm, at a reasonable price. Opt for a favorite standard or a surprising special meal from the diverse menu. The steamed mussels in tomato broth with chickpea fries (panisse frites) or the day boat scallops with corn beignets provides a light-but-filling meal. The traditional cassoulet or the steak frites (try it with panisse frites instead of regular fries) is richly satisfying. The many traditional buckwheat crepes make their own wonderful statements. Wines are well-selected to match the food, and the servers are helpful with pairing. Tuesday through Thursday you can choose a fixed-price menu dinner for $29, plus two glasses of paired wines for another $11. You can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local findSteveDined on 6/24/2014The Tuesday through Thursday dinner specials are the best value in Santa Rosa. Great food and service. Wine paring goes well with the specials. This is our favorite Resturant in Santa RosaSpecial Features:
- Love this placeLorraineDnurseDined on 6/21/2014Bistro 29 is a real Santa Rosa gem. The service is warm & welcoming w/o cloying. The food is a delight to the senses and satisfying in multiple ways. The French onion soup was as good as I had in Paris: which is to say; divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!heatherandjoeDined on 6/18/2014We have been to Bistro 29 on many occasions and we have never been disappointed in the food or the service. The wait staff is attentive, the food is fresh and very tasty, and their special menus have a nice variety. We love that place!Special Features:
- Fantastic little spotboopsalaDined on 6/17/2014This restaurant flies under the radar, but is one of my favorite downtown Santa Rosa eating spots. It is French, and has fabulous food, while being completely unpretentious and comfortable. It was a perfect spot for my sweetie's 50th birthday celebration with 6 good friends. The wait staff was welcoming, did not hover, and while not perfectly efficient, was entirely adequate. We had a fantastic evening and several of us enjoyed the prix fixe menu option available that Tuesday evening. A treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Groundbreaking dessertDessertdragonDined on 6/7/2014I took my aunt uncle boyfriend and 13 yr old niece out to dinner here on 7th June and would highly recommend this restaurant. Top menu choices definitely the scallops and the sticky toffee fig for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy DinershappydinerDined on 6/6/2014Pleasant service, well presented and tasty food. Nice happy hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bistro 29Food4meDined on 5/30/2014Love this place. It's so quaint and cozy. Food is always fantastic and the service was great. Truly is a neighborhood gemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointedluv2dineDined on 5/30/2014From the start the services was below par. Myself and one of my guest were ignored by the staff. It took 15 minutes to bring us drinks and wine and after another 30 minutes the staff came by to check what we ordered as they could not read what was written down. The real trouble came with the food. Scallops were raw, lamb was very fatty and lacked flavor, the crepes had an off taste, and one meal was completely forgotten, they did bring it but the rest of us were done eating at that point. The Duabe of Beef was very good. This was our first visit, and with so many choices in Sonoma County likely our last.
- Great foodErikDined on 5/30/2014It was our second visit and it was okay. The waitress was un attentive. Chicken was a bit chewy and appetizer was not what it should be. Anyway I'd rather remember this place for our first visit when everything was just wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gem at its best!!!MorcellaDined on 5/28/2014Our friends visit 1-2 x each year and love the Sonoma Co offerings of restaurants. We take great pleasure in sharing our local favorits. We four had excellent meals, service and smiles! Whether we order the three course special Tues-Thurs, or a la carte, we are always pleased with our selections!Special Features:
- Good ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014We had a nice dinner with a great dessert and very good service. The only thing I would change is to try to go there more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!paulafoodDined on 5/24/2014We enjoyed everything about this meal - service,food, wine list, dessert. The scallops were the best I've ever tasted. The atmosphere is cozy without being stuffy. As a party of six, we were able to converse easily, no shouting. We will plan on visiting again the next time we stay in Santa Rosa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- krOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/24/2014Excellent food and service. The salmon and steak dishes were the best!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ServiceItaliaBellaVIPDined on 5/21/2014Loved this restaurant! Great find in downtown Santa Rosa. The service was top notch! Our waiter was very charming (I wish I would have got his name) and the bus staff was great too! Very friendly group. The food was delicious and reasonably priced. We had the price fixed menu and every course was tasty and generous. I will definitely dine here again when I'm in the area. Charming!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2014Interesting menu, excellent execution, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paris in Santa RosagrillboyDined on 5/10/2014Bistro 29 reminded us of a recent trip to Paris. Excellent French bistro food, including great sauces, crepes, and desserts. We enjoyed a crepe before our entrees of chicken in terragon sauce and steak frites in a pink peppercorn sauce. All were excellent. The desserts were special too. We had the profiterole in chocolate sauce and chocolate fondant cake with salted caramel ice cream, both delicious. I would highly recommend Bistro 29.Special Features:
- Awesome as always!BontadorDined on 5/8/2014Bistro 29 is our go-to favorite, fantastic meal, great vibe, super service.Special Features: