620 5th Street
Santa Rosa, CA 95401Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bistro29.com/
- Phone: (707) 546-2929
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday:5:00PM - 9:00PM, Friday & Saturday:5:00PM - 9:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Brian Anderson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details
- Private Party Contact: Brian Anderson 7075462929
A word from Bistro 29
Bistro 29 located in downtown Santa Rosa, Sonoma County. Bistro 29 is a traditional bistro specializing in “Breton” regional cuisine. The number 29 comes from the department of Finistère (end of the earth) located in the upper tip of north-west France. Known for the Galette de blé noir (traditional buckwheat crêpe) and sweet crêpes, Bretagne also uses a variety of local seafood and produce that can easily be found in and around northern California.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Bistro 29 - Best Restaurants in Santa Rosa ›
Bistro 29 reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (68)special occasion (43)neighborhood gem (42)romantic (35)notable wine list (19)good for groups (9)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (3)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- $29OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/18/2014The Prix Fix menu is a great deal and with the wine pairing even better. The portions were good and not made smaller because of the deal. It was a very nice dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always come away satisfiedrusrivermanDined on 11/18/2014This evening the restaurant was very busy. Groups always have away from detracting from any restaurant's ambience and this particular evening was an example, a large group of work associates took one side of this fairly small restaurant. It unfortunately raised the ambience factor by nearly double of the otherwise very quiet atmosphered restaurant. While I realize the restaurant seeks to fill their seats, it also but a strain on the kitchen in terms of the overall flow of our order. We had the Seafood Cassoulet and the Halibut entrees along with two of the salads. What otherwise was an outstanding meal, the time it took to get our salads was extremely long. Not every visit can be an absolute spot on experience, but this was a little less than what we have come to expect from Bistro 29.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chapeau Bistro 29SoloveyDined on 11/15/2014We were fortunate enough to vacation in France this fall where the food is amazing and the Buckwheat savory crêpes did not disappoint! Very authentic and tasty! Chapeau Bistro 29 et bien cuits!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best RestaurantrivetcatcherDined on 11/13/2014We believe that Bistro 29 is the best restaurant in Santa Rosa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Knocked it out of the park (again)!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/8/2014Been a few months since dining at Bistro 29, and was pleasantly surprised to find that Brian had put duck breast on the specials that evening. It was flawless, synergistic and all GONE! My date had the halibut, and it was also delightful. Thank you for yet another great meal, Brian!!!Special Features:
- Cute place good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Bistro 29 is a tiny place; the food is pretty good, and fairly priced, but there isn't a ton of variety on the menu. Service was great but, FYI, they only serve beer and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FOODIEDined on 11/5/2014We go there often and it is consistently wonderful. The dishes are creative, well seasoned and delicious. Last night the $29 dinner was an amuse bouche of cauliflower soup with apple; the salad was escarole, persimmon and a great cheese.; praised pork that fell off the bone, it was so tender and dessert was a fried crepe, whip cream and chocolate ganache. Each course was a standout - A local favorite!Special Features:
- Bistro 29 never failsEdhrrVIPDined on 11/5/2014We have eaten here often and the meals have always been wonderful. My partner says the best salad he has ever had was at Bistro 29. The $29 mid-week specials are incredible deals. Everything wee have ever eaten here has been really tasty. We've brought friends from out of town who are kind of foods and they loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food amazing - Service slowOpenTable Diner Since 1999VIPDined on 11/1/2014The food is amazing here and at a good price. Staffing was horrible, they really need a bartender and dedicated bus people. Our server was MIA for at least 20 minutes and the bus person couldn't help us. We asked for bread and it was 15 minutes before we received a small loaf of bread for the 8 of us. We arrived at 7:45pm and didn't get our starters until 8:30pm. As we were a party of 8, we were stuck with an automatic gratuity, so not much we could do - which to be honest is quite frustrating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Friendly, intimate atmosphere, great food and wonderful serviceSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014Celebrated a brithday with a friend. We both odered the scallops. They were so delicious. If plate-licking were allowed we would have done so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WindsorFoodieFourDined on 10/30/2014Bistro 29 midweek prix fix is a great deal. On the regular menu - Starters: the Soupe des Johnnies (onion soup) is excellent. Entrees: the Daube of Beef or Pan Seared Scallops are off the hook! Locals should check it out and/or treat your out of town guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good!wineandfoodsnobDined on 10/24/2014Having the pleasure of dining at Bistro 29 many times, one of the things that stands out is the consistency of the food, service and overall dining experience. It is always a memorable treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKsocalgirlDined on 10/24/2014We went on a Friday night at Happy Hour, the specials were a reasonable price. Overall the food was fair, but was slightly lack luster and seemed to be missing something in each dish. We had a buckwheat crepe and it was slightly chewy, but the regular desert crepe was excellent.
- FussyfussyDined on 10/21/2014One of the few restaurants in the Santa Rosa area that provides quiet, private dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbMicheleDined on 10/17/2014Once again another superb meal at this special restaurant. I have yet to eat anything here that isn't short of five star. We started with the butter lettuce salad, delicious dressing, a buckwheat forestier crepe my favorite with a mushroom and gruyere filling, then duck breast juicy and tender. My sister had scallops cooked to perfection. Service was friendly an attentive. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Consistent good foodGoodcook2Dined on 10/16/2014This is one of our favorite dining spots in Santa Rosa. The food is always expertly prepared and the service remains professional, regardless of how busy the place gets. The sweetbread and sardine starters are wonderful, and the mid-week $29 prix fix menu is worthy of many visits. Keep up the good work. Will be back soon.Special Features:
- Best French bistro in North BayPlageDined on 10/10/2014The buckwheat crepes are delicious, traditional Breton wonders. Waitstaff is attentive, friendly and warm. Rest of the menu is excellent, too. Prices are surprisingly reasonable. Environment is cozy and delightful. And they serve the best dry cider I have found in the States.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently greatPrudenceDined on 10/10/2014My husband and i come here at least 2x per year. The food is always good and was fantastic this time also. It was pretty loud however, due to my one big gripe of the evening, which was that they sat us in one of 2 tables that are in The middle of the room. I asked for our usual romantic booth which was open and they said it was reserved...and then sat empty the entire 1.5 hrs we were there. Left a sour taste for me and our server was a litle snooty. Host and busser were fantastic tho. Missed the owner which was a firstSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice birthday dinnerYeshegirlDined on 10/8/2014A small intimate place to have great French food made with local food from Sonoma County. The owner is also a bike advocate! There are bike racks out front. We had a lovely birthday dinner. Service was outstanding. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently ExcellentEricVIPDined on 10/2/2014Although disappointed we didn't get a table we requested, everything about our evening was terrific. The friendly, timely service (not overly attentive or obnoxious), great food, enjoyable atmosphere must have rubbed off on the other guests as there was friendly cross table conversation throughout most of the evening. Next time we're going to try to save room for dessert - the dessert crepes at the next table looked very tempting.Special Features:
- Prix Fix a DelightOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/2/2014The midweek prix fix menu is a delight. portion control is great and the food suburb. The wait staff were very informed and on their game. Brilliant place to be for fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/1/2014The prix fixe menu is quite a deal esp with wine pairings.Special Features:
- Hyg3Dined on 10/1/2014Great food and the chef is delightful. I had the prefixe menu for $29 and it was well worth it. We were able to talk which can be usual in a restaurant theses days. Enjoyable.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/30/2014My friends and I dined at Bistro 29 for the first time. All four of us were impressed especially by the price fixed menu.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedSUZIVIPDined on 9/27/2014I was excited by the creativity and variation of the menu. Unfortunately, the execution didn't live up to our expectations. The Seafood Cassoulet was a good idea but came out as a very timid dish that would have greatly benefited by saffron or another bold spice. The mussels should have been rejected by the kitchen on the basis of their size alone. They were as tiny as pencil erasers and just about as interesting. The baked sardines were dry. I fear this restaurant is not living up to it's potential. I know it can do better!
- Two couples out for dinner2foodiesDined on 9/27/2014Dinner was fine. The lamb and scallops were great, the beef OK and the mussels were late - the wrong mussel order was brought and the rest of us were almost finished with dinner by the time the correct order came. The staff's wine knowledge is fairly limited.Special Features:
- Pretty good foodMattDined on 9/26/2014Needed a little more seasoning. I felt like the escargots and cassoulet both needed a bit more salt. But other than that the food was great, and the atmosphere was super casual and service was friendly.Special Features:
- Loved it!PRfoodiesDined on 9/26/2014We chose this place because of the good reviews it hod on yelp, and definitely was a great place. Service was very friendly and professional. The food was fantastic and the prices very reasonable. The place is small and tables are very close to each other, but we were lucky the people sitting next to us were very friendly. It was the perfect place for a date night with my husband!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014The services could have been better, our watriss was not very nice, or very interested in our service. The host (not sure his name, younger blond guy) was very nice and even helped us get our order in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't be going back.JackVIPDined on 9/23/2014Went to Bistro 29 for a business dinner. The food was pretty awful. We ordered a few appetizers and neither were really any good. And the entrees weren't anything to write home about. I'm usually very positive in my reviews, but this time I just didn't enjoy the meal.
- SharkDined on 9/23/2014My wife and I enjoyed the restaurant, but the food wasn't quite up to par. The wine was excellent. The buckwheat stuffed creeps with veggies needs some work. It was okay. We had the snapper fish for main course. Mine was way over cooked with not a good Tate's to it. I was very disappointed . The dessert was hard to chew. Very well cooked biscuit with whipped cream and chocolate.
- Best dinner in Santa RosaKdineDined on 9/20/2014Every time we have eaten at Bistro 29, we have been completely blown away. The chef uses the highest quality ingredients and prepares them in such a way that each element is celebrated. If you are looking for incredible food in a nice, but relaxed atmosphere, this is it. Great wine and beer list too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French SpotParisNut75Dined on 9/18/2014The good: Great French bistro-style decor and food. The French Onion soup was fab and so were our gnocchi and steak frites. really all of the food was outstanding. The not-as-good: Our server seemed a little off: the first interaction we had with her was when she came to the table and immediately asked if he had decided on what to order; no real greeting, etc. Interactions were fairly simple and limited and she wasn't particularly engaging. I specifically noted in our online reservation that we were celebrating our 10th anniversary and that we honeymooned in Paris so we were looking to recreate that experience, but none of this was ever mentioned throughout our evening there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bistro 29trufleVIPDined on 9/18/2014Again, I had a very good meal at Bistro 29. This time it was to celebrate my 2nd anniversary with my guy who is not used to dining out(!). He loved it!Special Features:
- ExcellentMicheleDined on 9/16/2014This restaurant consistently turns out excellent food. I have yet to go and be disappointed. I was there with a party of 9 for my mother's birthday and they made everything very special for us. I called ahead and spoke with the Chef, he made special appetizer plates ready exactly when we needed them and made a special birthday cake that was to die for. The pate is superb. Everything is fresh and homemade. Small restaurant so reservations are advisable. Chef is from France very personable and a joy to talk to. Prices are fair and atmosphere is cozy and can go casual or dressy.Special Features:
- Great French foodPatRVIPDined on 9/13/2014Our first time and our meal was true French. Started with sweetbreads, then cassoulet, and lamb shank. Top off with apple benninetsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need bigger portionsDrinkWineDined on 9/13/2014Restaurant was tucked away on the street and not what we expected based on outside appearance. Food was fine but I was disappointed with the portion size of my dinner. Had the snapper and the taste was fine but barely any snapper on my plate mostly broth and bread. I even noticed another customer who had the snapper complain about the same thing was disappointed with that but otherwise the restaurant was good. Seemed to be kid friendly and service was prompt. If the portions are bigger I would go back left dinner hungry and needed a snack when we got back to hotel.Special Features:
- Wonderful!VivaDined on 9/5/2014Bistro 29 continues to amaze me, year after year with stunning menu and wine pairing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forgetful experiencedontget2dineverymuchDined on 8/30/2014Got my OpenTable invitation to write a review for my dining experience. It was just another French restaurant with so-so food. The service seemed appropriate for the Bistro title but not worthy of the prices. Our table was crammed close to other tables so not a great place for conversation. When I requested to change tables I was declined even though there were other tables available. I guess non-OpenTable reservations have lowest priority.