Bistro 1860 Wine Bar & Spirits
1765 Mellwood Ave
Louisville, KY 40206Neighborhood:
French AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Bistro 1860 Wine Bar & Spirits
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bistro1860.com/
- Phone: 5026181745
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm (bar opens at 4pm), Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm (bar opens at 4:00pm)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, French American
- Executive Chef: Michael J. Crouch
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Custom Menu's available for a minimum of 25. For more information contact restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Ron Kayrouz 5026457945
A word from Bistro 1860 Wine Bar & Spirits
Bistro & Wine Bar with a focus on Small Plates.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Bistro 1860 Wine Bar & Spirits - Best Restaurants in Downtown Louisville ›
Bistro 1860 Wine Bar & Spirits reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (92)special occasion (79)notable wine list (59)romantic (57)neighborhood gem (56)great for outdoor dining (55)good for groups (25)hot spot (22)vibrant bar scene (15)late-night find (6)scenic view (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Since my first visit, not long after the opening, I have been in love with 1860. It is my favorite spot to dine in Louisville. I have never been disappointed with the regular menu and options in size of portions, but, I am always astonished at the daily specials Michael presents. My current favorite would be the mussels. And the wine,........well, one of the best selections in town.Special Features:
- Delicious FoodbdaydinnerDined on 10/22/2014My fiancé and I went to Bistro 1860 for my 34th birthday. We are relatively new to Louisville and went by recommendation by a friend. We are total foodies and love new, exciting, and amazingly delicious foods. Bistro 1860 nailed each of them. It was too cold to sit outside, however the outdoor patio looks like a fun place to enjoy a meal as well. We'll be sitting out there when it's warm. They do have a high price, however the quality and variety of foods more than makes up for the high price. We will be going back and I recommend Bistro 1860 to everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not going backMelmVIPDined on 10/18/2014a ceiling tile fell on the woman sitting next to us. It didn't hurt her but the manager never came out to apologize. In fact we listened to the waiter laugh it off. The tables are small, it was difficult to fit 2 dinner plates, 2 plates for sides plus wine and water glasses. tables are so close together with no rounds for servers. A server at the next table help his tray over my head as he was serving 4 people at that table. I was sure their mussels were going to be on my head. There was no "excuse me" or apology. The noise level necessitated our shouting at each other. We will not be going backSpecial Features:
- Best Restaurant in Louisville!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014I absolutely agree with everything Nancy Miller (CJ) said about this wonderful restaurant. It is in a class by itself. Impeccable wine list, courteous and attentive servers with delicious food choices. All course presentation is only surpassed by the flavors! We Love this place!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- louisvilleturtleDined on 10/18/2014This is my third visit to Bistro 1860 and I've loved all of them. I've ordered from all three types of offerings and was always happy with my choices. This time I had beef and brussel sprouts. Even though the beef was the smaller portion it was plenty and I brought home the remaining brussel sprouts--good the 2nd time as well. Our waiter was attentive, explained the menu well and we truly enjoyed the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experiencebikerchickDined on 10/17/2014Once again, Bistro 1860 impresses. Great menu items perfectly portioned and served to allow you to try many of the creative selections offered. This was our second visit and it won't be our last. Check it out! You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Tremendous restaurantWinAtlantaDined on 10/15/2014wonderful menu includes portion selection. Everything prepared perfectly,I can't wait to visit Louisville again and to dine at Bistro 1860Special Features:
- wonderfuldiggindinnerDined on 10/11/2014Food is perfect. Small environment so volume can be an issue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- And again, perfection!CindyWVIPDined on 10/10/2014This is absolutely our favorite restaurant and we visit frequently. I will say it's disconcerting to realize that our favorite restaurant is also the favorite of hundreds of other people! Bistro 1860 is always pleasantly busy, and the service is really superior no matter how busy they are. Of all the delicious plates, large and small, the lobster hush puppies are fabulous. Kudos to our server, Lauren, who made our dinner a pleasure even though we arrived early and were seated somewhat inconveniently for her. Thank you again, and hope to see you soon.Special Features:
- New Louisville Favoritetravel4foodDined on 10/9/2014Went on recommendation from bartender at Blu's in the Marriott. We had eaten at Jeff Ruby's and Jack Fry's the previous nights and wanted something new, THIS is definitely the place to go! Great food, service, and drink selection. Chef came by to check on us to see if we were enjoying our dining experience, we assured him we were loving it.Special Features:
- It's a KeeperOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014Everything was great. We enjoyed the variety of sizes for each menu item. We have already been back and brought a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exceeded expectationsRobbDined on 10/9/2014We chose Bistro 1860 for our Anniversary dinner and it was an absolute delight. Our server was perfectly engaging and enticed us with outstanding and entertaining selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite Dining ExperienceFoodieMavenDined on 10/9/2014Fantastic dining experience at 1860. Our new Louisville favorite! We enjoyed the multiple size selections, which provided ample opportunity to taste bites of different items on the menu. The menu and specials offerings made the selection process challenging. We wanted to try it all! Or server Lauren was out of this world. When she described the duck stuffed in pastry, we had to order. Like Lauren, this dish may call my husband to 1860 in his PJs! I had the sea bass with ginger miso sauce. Amazing flavors! A bit pricey for a routine date night, but we will definitely be back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT!!!!!deb1164Dined on 10/6/2014My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful meal here on a recent visit to Louisville. Wow, what a wonderful experience! Excellent food, outstanding service in a wonderfully comfortable environment. Highly, highly, highly recommend!Special Features:
- Unbelievable food and servicenanbonDined on 10/3/2014Every time we eat here the food is absolutely fantastic. It's the most interesting menu in town. The chef is a culinary genius the way that he melds flavors and he always hits a home run in our book! Service is always fantastic! Definitely not an every week place because of price but certainly for special occasions or every now and then. We always look forward to returning and introducing new people to the place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chris0329Dined on 10/3/2014We were in town for St. James art fair. Our first time visiting. There were six of us and two of the couples were having anniversaries. We were so thrilled when we arrived, got a cozy table in the corner, and the owner treated us to a bottle of champagne to celebrate! How thoughtful! We were already impressed ...and then, our server, Marty, kept up the good work entertaining us so much, along with giving us all the specials, his favorites, making us feel so comfortable, Nd more! Then, the food was all so amazing...we had a couple finicky eaters but THEY loved their meals too! We all had something different and shared. We tried everything that was suggested and we all loved it! That is so rare in our group. We loved our time there!Special Features:
- Memorable ExperienceFoodWineandHeelsDined on 10/3/2014Recently I dined at Bistro 1860 with one of my Best Friends. He had never been to the restaurant and I was looking for a great experience for the date night I'd planned. We sat in the middle dining room, it was a bit loud at first but as guest cleared the evening became epic. We ordered the Niners Cab (featured wine), Mussels (Special), Crab Cake, Ribeye and Red Skin Potatoes with Marrow Butter. The Wine and Food, unforgettable. Service was good, a little slow and uninformative. In the servers defense, he was busy. Trainee was very sweet, should do well in the environment. Thanks Bistro 1860 team. We will be back for seconds. Cheers !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can you hear me now?GarlictesterDined on 10/3/2014This is a very stylish restaurant and the menu is creative. As noted, the lobster hush puppies and the pork tacos are excellent. The pork is tender and tasty, combination with kimchee is satisfying. The hush puppies are large, rich, and very filling and, again, the combination of sweetened, deep fried jalapeno slices that accompany them makes for a delicious blend of flavors. Our entree was the farfalle with "heirloom" tomatoes and artichoke hearts. The tomatoes seem like regular cherry tomatoes and the dish was rather nondescript - not quite bland but certainly not flavorful either. Our complaint was the noise - we could not hear each other across the table; apparently the acoustics are pretty bad. Expensive wine, unfamiliar labels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/2/2014Food was great. We tried 5 or 6 dishes in some different size portions. Ahi tuna and lobster hush puppies were amazing. Meiomi Pinot Noir was excellent. Charlie, our server, was great. Complimentary dessert for our 43rd anniversary. P.S. Left my Amex card at the restaurant. Got a phone call form the manager, who met me in the parking lot to give it back to me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably tastyFoodwhispererDined on 9/27/2014Attentive service; good food; great cocktails. The pork belly tacos are my favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014My family of eight enjoyed the variety of chices on the menu. The different sizes of the portions ( a trois niveaux) were very well received. I look forward to return visits. The presentation and the quality of the food were excellent. Mes compliments au chef!Special Features:
- Go To PlaceBuckbrush68Dined on 9/22/2014This is a great place to bring a group as the menu encourages sharing food samples, and everything I've tasted so far has been great. I encourage trying all of the sides, lobster hush puppies, and the deserts all have been outstanding; service is outstanding.Special Features:
- Love this place!RKS612VIPDined on 9/20/2014Innovative food, delicious, great portion size options, something for everyone!Special Features:
- What a wonderful place!bokbok4lifeDined on 9/20/2014The service was excellent. The food? Omg!! The special was the mussels which were huge and cooked to perfection. Lobster hush puppies. I'll let you drool over that one. Scallops were like butter and cooked to perfection. Octopus was delicious. Drinks were perfect and we felt very cozy in our corner table. This is definitely a place we are headed back to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic date nightNatiTigerDined on 9/19/2014Took my girlfriend here for a rare date night without kids and was very pleasantly surprised.The ambience was very comfortable and trendy. Would love to have sat outside because it was a gorgeous evening and would recommend requesting reservation ahead of time to do so as it was a busy night. We had escargot, oysters, rabbit and kale salad, and salmon with black lentils. With the exception of the rabbit being a little dry everything else was extremely good. Very unique and complete wine list. Add an Oregon Pinot new war that was exceptional. Service was very good as well though our server seemed overwhelmed with too many tables.he kept apologizing for lack of better service which really wasn't required because he was still attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 90 minute waitSouthernGentVIPDined on 9/19/2014I cannot comment on the food because we left after waiting for 90 minutes. The cheese plate and escargot we ordered arrived fairly quickly but we were disappointed by the delays and excuses. There were patrons who arrived before us who had not been served anything but a salad and a cheese plate.
- Very Good Foodnew2louDined on 9/13/2014Just moved from Lexington and Bistro 1860 was our first local restaurant to try and we were not disappointed. As with all other reviews we have read we tried the Lobster Hushpuppy to start and everything we read was true, it was awesome. I also ordered a Brujo cocktail that was very good. The only slightest complaint I have is we sat in a back room and next time we will try to sit up front or outside those areas were a lot livelier. Cant wait to go back.Special Features:
- Good Find!bikerchickDined on 9/5/2014Bistro 1860 delivered! Extensive food and wine menu. Nightly specials may be a little overkill given the regular menu. Everything was very good. Server was efficient as well as bartender. Loved the concept of having three (à trois niveaux) portion sizes. Bite size, appetizer or entrée size. It really gives you an opportunity to try a lot of menu items and not break the bank. Loved it enough to go back again.Special Features:
- Food good, service less soKdanielkDined on 9/5/2014Food fantastic. The options for portions are fun. The service did not live up to reputation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mrs.Jonh WillaimsonBanderDined on 9/4/2014Loved this place. Our waiter, Marty. made the evening for us. He was wonderful and I love to laugh, be with friends, and eat great food. I would recommend Marty to anyone who enjoys a great waiter with a great personality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentFoodie2VIPDined on 8/29/2014Enjoyed our meal very much. A special capese salad, escargot,salmon crquettes, parpadelle. Waiter friendly did not hover. Decor of dinig very pretty. Outdoor patio with live jazz.Special Features:
- Tommy31Dined on 8/25/2014Everything was delicious: crab cake, lobster hush puppy, scallops, ahi tuna, ribeye, busses sprouts and red potatoes were all awesome. Seems like you can't make a wrong decision here. Their outdoor dining is great, but the weather was bad and I was just as impressed with the inside. I would definitely recommend to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food poor servicepaul15Dined on 8/25/2014I looked forward to dining at Bistro 1860 because I had heard positive comments about the food. My wife and I tried six different courses and we enjoyed what we ordered. There was a problem when I specifically asked for the duck dish to be served medium well and it was served rare. (management did remove the cost of the dish from the check) We had to ask three different waiters to bring side plates because our waiter was no where to be found. Bottom line, the food was very good, the service was poor.Special Features:
- Exceptional food, great serviceArchieDined on 8/22/2014My wife and daughter recently dined here and raved about it. Since my wife and I were going to be in Louisville for a meeting, I decided to give it a try. I was not disappointed. The quality of both food and service were great. Our server (Erica) was both personable and knowledgable. I now put this with Jack Fry's as my favorites for fine dining in Louisville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GdmealDined on 8/22/2014We had a very pleasant experience. Lamb chops was the best entree at our table. Cozy decor. We definitely will be back.Special Features:
- Blew me away!DatenightrulesDined on 8/21/2014I loved the different portion options as well as the actual food choices. There were many fresh and interesting combinations of flavors, and Chef Mike was so available to answer questions and make sure that we were happy that I teased him, wondering who was cooking the amazing food?! I was particularly happy we saved room for dessert, as this was the best part of the meal. Hubby had the ice cream flight and I had some chocolate almond thing that can only be described as pure awesomeness in a little cup. The staff was fantastic. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bistro 1860LisaDined on 8/21/2014First and foremost, the service was outstanding. Awesome wine list! Loved the three portion sizes and prices. This way you can sample several of their tasty dishes. Lobster hush puppies are a must! The night we were there, they had mussels on the menu and they were described favorably by my friend. I had the scallops and they were delightful! A little on the pricey side but all in all a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!!!chiefPADined on 8/21/2014I chose this restaurant for the outdoor seating for a dinner with a group of friends. Turned out to be such a hot,muggy night that we sat inside. The ambience was so comfortable, the food was beautiful, tasty, and the service was wonderful. My friend had a sleeveless top on and must have been rubbing her arms so someone came and wrapped a fleece shawl around her shoulders. We were invited to look at the upstairs before we left. It is such a cozy, colorful space, perfect for a small party or group of friends to have an intimate space. The only thing I regret is that we missed sitting outside under the trees with cool lighting to set a beautiful mood. I will definitely be back and have already recommended it several times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bistro at its bestdinnerdateDined on 8/20/2014We were a party of five on a Wednesday evening celebrating some of our many good fortunes. I decided that We should try the Bistro 1860 which had been recommended by several friends. We were not disappointed! One of the finest restaurants I have visited in my 81 years and we are a family of global living. To be with two of my four daughters and their spouses is always a special event and to complete the evening with such fine dining was a memory maker. We will indeed be back!Special Features:
- Very Good, But...GretaVIPDined on 8/16/2014Everything at 1860 was very good, but for the prices it should have been over the top. Thirty-six dollars for three scallops should have come with a few something elses! There were too many specials, they ran out of the specials we did want by 7:30 pm and it was so loud in the dining room you could not hear table conversation. The bar man whipped up a great speciality drink that sang of summer and the place was packed. Fun, loud, great wine list and every knew everyone else. It was Louisville after all!Special Features: