1130 Market Street, 10 UN Plaza, 6th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bistro10un.com/
- Phone: (415) 276-4048
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Thursday - Friday: 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Kimball Jones
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
The Art Institute of California - San Francisco is proud to announce the opening of Bistro 10UN a seasonal, friendly, and affordable student-run restaurant at The International Culinary School at The Art Institute of California - San Francisco in the heart of San Francisco's Civic Center district.
"We're thrilled to solidify our place in San Francisco's culinary arts community with the opening of Bistro 10UN," said Art Institute of California - San Francisco President Byron Chung. "Whether the students are working in the kitchen or taking orders, it's an opportunity to learn all the facets of the restaurant business, preparing future culinary professionals for careers in the Bay Area and beyond."
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
- Yummy Gourmet Food at a Reasonable PricecandanteoutDined on 11/14/2014We love the idea of up and coming student chefs preparing and serving creative and delicious food. Great place to try out different dishes at a very reasonable price. Reservations are not required but it is a small place open on Thursday and Fridays. I would recommend reservations. Food and service was very good and seating was comfortable. Look forward to going again. Favorite dishes was Duck confit croquette for appetizer ( although butternut squash was delicious-as was the salad), Salmon for main dish and pumpkin souffle for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jhfeinbergVIPDined on 11/6/2014Excellent presentation of food...great value...$12 for two courses, $15 for three. nly open on Thursday and Friday for lunch.Special Features:
- Wow! Who knew this was here?OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/6/2014The food here is always superb so it is worth going just for the meal. Occasionally, the service is a little slow but is it important that you practice patience because they are students who are learning and honing their skills. I have never had a bad meal there and it is my go-to place for lunch meetings with visiting colleagues, if I am lucky enough to nab a table. Definitely a neighborhood gem!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemRdtheWrldTrvlerVIPDined on 10/30/2014They book up fast. Excellent food and service hidden inside the Art Institute building in Civic Center. Rotating menu - always gourmet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When Chef Shulse runs great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/24/2014When Chef Shulse runs the class that prepares the meals, the food is creative, innovative and well prepared... the service, well you have to remember, these are students who are learning and some never served before... but that said, they do a great job. The best deal in San Francisco! Eaten there several times and never disappointed... leave a good tip as the food is so inexpensive and monies go to support the class....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal and price pointLunchbunchDined on 10/23/2014I always bring a guest when I come for lunch and they return with friends and colleagues.Special Features:
- Another great lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/19/2014I just started work mid market and none of my coworkers had been to Bistro 10 UN. I have brought 3 parties for lunch now, all were very impressed and surprised by the elegant delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best valueLunchbunchDined on 9/19/2014A full course meal for $15.00. What can you say? Go back; go back and enjoySpecial Features:
- DennisDined on 8/29/2014Service was mediocre. No spoon served with soup dish. Waiter was unattentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Veru special findFoodie2Dined on 8/21/2014The Bistro 10UN is a real jewel in the Civic Center area. I don't want to say too much, because it's such a great find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great value for lunchteddysfDined on 8/7/2014Enjoy a nice lunch in a quiet and pleasant environment where food is excellent and the service is great.Special Features:
- Needs A Little WorkOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/20146 Co-workers and I went to Bistro 10UN for a Birthday celebration. We made the reservation 2 months in advance knowing their limited availability in service days & hours. We were seated right away, drink orders went in, and took our meal orders (ordered everything at the same time, including dessert) promptly. Our first course took about 20 minutes to come out, then a longer wait for the 2nd course, all in all we spent over 2 hours for lunch. The food overall was good but they need to work on service, from serving at the table to getting the food out of the kitchen. We do understand that these are students, hopefully these comments can be useful. We will come back at a later time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food at a great pricezhangirlsDined on 7/31/2014Delicious gourmet food. Each dish is prepared with great care. Lemonade is to die for. Cannot believe students are doing the cooking. Manager is very friendly. And price is UNBELIEVABLE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 82 reviews are from the Bistro 10UN reviews archive.
- Cynthiawing2kwong3Dined on 7/25/2014Great food and great service by Melissa and Elliot! Would definitely go there againSpecial Features:
- Bistro 10UNSharoncsVIPDined on 6/19/2014I love this place but the service can be hit or miss and this visit it was a miss. I went with a party of 5 and as we were seated were were told that half kitchen staff were not there so instead of 5 choices for an appetizer and main there were only two and one dessert (wisely chocolate). Then they ran out of rolls so we only got three and they were trying to make more which we eventually got towards the end of the meal. It took forever to get our main courses and it was not that crowded. I hope this just was a one off - the food was still delicious.Special Features:
- great lunchMel08Dined on 6/18/2014The three course lunch was so delicious. Every course was tasty and portions were just right. Homemade lemonade was very good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great valueteddysfDined on 5/8/2014Bistro 10UN is a place you can bring a friend for a special occasion and spend half the price you pay at a fancy restaurant. Great food and great service.Special Features:
- Nice option near civic center.RichVIPDined on 4/17/2014Enjoyed the mahi mahi and the dessert, a great place for a reasonably priced upscale lunch. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special Experience!Sandy94901VIPDined on 3/19/2014Bistro 10UN is uniquely wonderful. We took our friend for her birthday. You have to keep in mind that everyone is in training and it does show a bit but that is also what makes it special. We so appreciated the effort everyone was making to create an excellent dining experience. I would say overall the food was excellent but there were some misses in each course. My biggest disappointment was that, while perfectly prepared to medium rare, my steak was cold and tough. However, the mushroom soup was perhaps the best I have ever tasted. I will definitely return. It is a great value but also wonderful to support these culinary students!Special Features:
- Bistro 10UNSharoncsVIPDined on 3/14/2014The secret seems to be out that this is the best deal in town. The food is excellent and the service is usually good. Love this place.Special Features:
- Wonderful 3-Course Meal for $15BargainhunterDined on 2/12/2014What a bargain, and a nice restaurant in the Civic Center area. Students servers aim to please. Many choices available for appetitizers, main course and dessert. Can't be beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a little bland!1sttimediningDined on 2/7/2014We each ordered the mushroom soup, which was served slightly warmer than room temperature and was very bland. Although the soup was fresh, it could have really used some seasoning; fresh garlic, onion, basil, etc. could have been cooked into the broth. I ordered the salmon, which was cooked well but completely unseasoned. The side dishes were much more flavorful than the main dish. Even some basic butter, lemon, pepper, or garlic would have made the dish better. My friend ordered the flat-iron steak, well-done, but it came back bloody and she had to send it back twice before it was cooked thoroughly. The citrus chocolate desert was good and different, but the apple tart was flat and tasteless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Lunch Deal in SFOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/22/2013This restaurant is located on the 6th floor of the International Culinary School at the Art Institute of California - San Francisco. The restaurant is actually a LIVE classroom where the senior level students showcase their Culinary prowess to the public. The Bistro10UN offers a 3 course option, and a two-course option, but 3 courses for $15!!!..... who can pass that up. Everything is made in house and very fresh and seasonal. If you haven't tried this lunch spot yet, you are truly missing out! Their hours are short (because of the class times) from 11:45am - 1:45pm Wednesdays through Fridays. I highly recommend making reservations in advance because they do sell out often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great valuejhfeinbergVIPDined on 11/20/2013Excellent food attractively served...three course lunch for $15.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I wish there was more timeIwillBbackDined on 11/7/2013Everything was very good. However, make sure you have more than 1 hour for lunch in order to enjoy the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3 Course delightChazDined on 11/1/2013I took a friend for lunch last week. This was his first visit and my second. This experience was just as good as my first. The 3 course lunch was delicious. We each ordered a different salad and we both had the grilled swordfish. This was one one of the best fish I've ever had. The sauce was very flavorable and the entree itself was a good size. The staff is all very pleasant and the $15 cost is a real bargain. I highly recommend this student run restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, friendly serversfsfguyDined on 10/31/2013Hidden on the 6th floor, this is a great place for lunch, the food prepared by student chefs is an amazing value. You'd pay much more for a meal of this quality anywhere else. The swordfish was perfectly prepared and the lamb shank was delicious and a large portion too. The atmosphere is a little on the corporate side though the food makes up for it.
- Great food for very good priceYoyoDined on 10/23/2013we always come back every semester for a different menu. i have not have anything that i don't like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food - ridiculesly inexpensChefanieDined on 10/10/2013The food is creative and well-prepared and the selection is enormous For a classroom run café. All the cooks are students all the servers are students and they do amazing stuff. $15 get you three-course meal with many choices. There is no reason why this little café shouldn't be booked to the fullest every single production date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and servicebmbmVIPDined on 9/19/2013Wonderful food and service at an outstanding price. I will return. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bistro 10UN - Best kept secretSharoncsVIPDined on 9/18/2013You really have to work or be visiting the neighborhood at lunchtime to enjoy Bistro 10UN, but it is totally worth it. The 2 or 3 course menu gives you good tasty food, large portions for a great price - what more could you want. Sure at the beginning of the semester the food may still need a little work and the service a bit shaky but as the semester wears on both get better and better. This time I had the wedge salad and the salmon with soba noodlles - both were excellent.Special Features:
- Friendly and coolBigSisDined on 9/17/2013It was cool being able to peer into the kitchen while the chef and students were preparing the food. The staff was very friendly. The menu was not too impressive, which is understandable seeing as it's a student/learning restaurant. The food was well prepared and delicious. I thought the main course could have used an interesting vegetarian option, considering SF is usually pretty veg-friendly. Overall, a very cool experience, and at a great value. I would definitely bring friends to this dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great QPROpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2013We've eaten here before and this time confirmed our experience as a place to get dinner sized portions for lunch for excellent prices with taste to match. luv itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a cool experienceOutdoordinerVIPDined on 9/10/2013I have to say, I had my doubts as I was walking down Market Street to get to this restaurant...and I was taking a client here! But what a terrific place it was once we got to the restaurant. The artsy nature of the building and the people getting on and off of the elevator only added to the ambiance. I wanted someplace a little fun and a little different to go to...this fit the bill. The food was fantastic, and it was a wonderful place to just hang out and leisurely dine. I have already told many people about this place, because I think it is a hidden gem. I will definitely go back and introduce it to other friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not school food!TildonkerVIPDined on 8/28/2013This is a culinary school and this was my second visit and the food was as good as the first time around! All three of us enjoyed the tomato salad and the salmon. As for the cost - you just can't beat three courses for $15! I am looking forward to returning when the menu changes.Special Features:
- Food was delicious95SeventhStreetDined on 8/20/2013The appetizer, entree, and dessert were absolutely delicious and the portions were just right for lunch. I like the fact that they use seasonal vegetables and fruits for their meals. Will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemRdtheWrldTrvlerVIPDined on 8/9/2013A must visit. Great prices, gourmet food. Do not miss a visit to Bistro 10 UN. We go all the time for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- School Food!!TildonkerVIPDined on 7/25/2013Food cooked by the students of this culinary school! We were so impressed and enjoyed all our courses - 3 for $15!! Unbelievable value for the money and we were more than happy with our soup, salad, mahi mahi, pork and desserts that my friend and I had for lunch. It's like a little secret by the Civic Centre that we have now discovered and will definitely re-visit! Will definitely be going back soon!Special Features:
- Undiscovered gemJaredDined on 7/17/2013Hidden above the bustle of market st and in plaza sits this gem of a culinary treat where students make delicious meals. The food was beautifully presented, fresh and delicious. A three course meal for a a nominal $15 with tips going toward student scholarships. What a lovely experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place to dine at lunchDDDDDined on 6/14/2013I only ate here twice at lunch during the work week, so I don't know about dinner meals. The price is reasonable. The salmon dish was great. Vegetables always cooked just right. The chocolate mousse for dessert was delightful. Go with a group but not more than four. You will need reservations which are convenient on line. The only unpleasantness is right outside the building entrance the neighborhood, "bums" are allowed to congregate and could harass you, so be wise and vigilant. So, I don't know what the area is like at night. The convenience of the location-right near BART, bus, and trolly at UN Civic Center, so this place is very accessible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.